EvilLoynis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1652 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Renewal

Posted 03 July 2011 - 04:20 AM

Now before you say anything I want to say that this build is if you got reset ounce you were ALREADY a WarLock. So you won't be having to level with this build just play from WLock lvl 99 on.

Here is the skill simulator for a quick look.

Updated with my WLock build as well
http://irowiki.org/~...naFqnaOeFqosUcY

Will spell it out for ppl that can't use the link here below, in no particular order:

Storm Gust 10
Fire Wall 10
Safety Wall 10
Mystical Amp 10
Soul Drain 10
Ice Wall 5
Quagmire 5
Heavens Drive 5
Jupitel Thunder 5

The rest of the skills in this build are at PreRequisite levels for these skills and for WLock skills (LoV & MS are only at 1).

Now the reason for these are varied but this is mainly a PvM/MVP type build for leveling up. Really serious PvP builds should get a reset ounce they are 150/50 then they won't have to worry about skills needed for leveling (kind of like this build leaves the bolts at like 4 or 5 instead of maxing Fire/Cold).

Storm Gust - Is a great skill for leveling and for using with WLock Release skill since none of the Warlock AoE Cold Skills (Frosty Mist and Jack Frost) work with release. Not to mention the fact that it just murders Undead, Bosses and others who are non Water/Air.

Jupitel Thunder - Good for paring with SG when needed. Is really good as it has no after cast delay. Get that SP back with SoulSiphon to.

Fire Wall & Safety Wall & Ice Wall - This build gets all 3 to stay super safe, not really needed to max Ice Wall though it could be done. There are times one is better than the other and times where two together just rock. No hard choices here. IWall mainly for MVPing

Mystical Amp - no need to elaborate.

Soul Drain - it's going to be important to keep that sp up later and this can be done my many methods.

Heavens Drive - Good to reveal enemies and destroy monster traps as well. One of the few Earth spells early on since Earth spells as WLock usually won't come till later.

Quagmire - Slow them if needed. Good if you have a person Tanking for you at all.

Please let me know what you think here.

EDIT: Keep in mind the first 2 job skills you get could be Reading Spellbook & Release 1. You would easily be able to store 2 Storm gusts right off. (Level 100 with 100 Int would give you 24 slots and only 10 are needed for SG).

Edited by EvilLoynis, 04 July 2011 - 04:09 AM.

#2 Anko

Anko

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 804 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 08:05 AM

Minor nitpick: should be soul drain and not soul siphon :rolleyes:

Otherwise looks good. I got sp regen 10 too since i use kahii.

#3 EvilLoynis

EvilLoynis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1652 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 12:26 PM

Minor nitpick: should be soul drain and not soul siphon :rolleyes:

Otherwise looks good. I got sp regen 10 too since i use kahii.

Lol thanks corrected that mistake. Soul Siphon sounds cooler though doesn't it?

Well the above build has used all the Job points for HWiz and Mage already so SP recovery is still at 5 though thats more than enough I think especially with lvl 10 Soul Drain helping out.

The thing to remember is that since, Chain Lightning, Crimson Rock, Frosty Mist (not sure about this one but iro wiki says target is enemy not self) and the White/Soul Expansion combo will all trigger Soul Drain on the first monster if it kills that monster. Not sure of Tetra Vortex at all but perhaps if it's not a ground target spell.

One other feedback I had from a friend in game was that having all 3 walls was confusing. Not really sure why though. If you don't need 1 you just don't use it.

Any other opinions on the build?

#4 CeruleanGamer

CeruleanGamer

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7685 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
  • Server:Yggdrasil, Ymir

Posted 04 July 2011 - 02:52 AM

I approve of this build because I use the same one. Who needs Meteor Storm and Lord of Vermillion with this horrible cast time system?

#5 EvilLoynis

EvilLoynis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1652 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 04:09 AM

I approve of this build because I use the same one. Who needs Meteor Storm and Lord of Vermillion with this horrible cast time system?

Cool good to know.

#6 Anko

Anko

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 804 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:01 PM

Lol thanks corrected that mistake. Soul Siphon sounds cooler though doesn't it?

Well the above build has used all the Job points for HWiz and Mage already so SP recovery is still at 5 though thats more than enough I think especially with lvl 10 Soul Drain helping out.

The thing to remember is that since, Chain Lightning, Crimson Rock, Frosty Mist (not sure about this one but iro wiki says target is enemy not self) and the White/Soul Expansion combo will all trigger Soul Drain on the first monster if it kills that monster. Not sure of Tetra Vortex at all but perhaps if it's not a ground target spell.

One other feedback I had from a friend in game was that having all 3 walls was confusing. Not really sure why though. If you don't need 1 you just don't use it.

Any other opinions on the build?

Regarding the walls. I think it basically depends on your playstyle and requirements. For example, with sp regen ppl get by with low levels or none but i can't live without it as i find myself sitting for a while regenning now i have over 6k sp and after a battle manual it is usually fully depleted so it speeds up the regen time as well as increasing what i regen from a blue pot.

With the walls, all 3 are useful in different situations or sometimes in combination like you said. Ice wall is still incredibly powerful in some situations allowing you to trap targets or whole sections of a map.

Sienna, Marsh and Earth Strain are on my list as they are great debuffs for woe/pvp. I want recog spell but i think i will wait till the duration for it increases and perhaps just get it for my second WL which will be more damage based. I might test out stasis too.

#7 CeruleanGamer

CeruleanGamer

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7685 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:18 PM

Since we cannot put Tetra Vortex and Comet in our spellbooks yet, focusing on debuffs such as stasis, sienna, marsh, or imprison is a good approach in WoE.

Unless you have a Glorious Destruction Staff +9, don't expect to kill anything in PvP. Your main goal is Frost Misty enemies on site and support party with debuffs and protect yourself with White imprison if you get targeted.

#8 EvilLoynis

EvilLoynis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1652 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:02 AM

Ok all I have been doing some testing with Wlock on the test server with the skills listed below and have some info about my results and conclusions.

Frosty Mist & Jack Frost - BOTH of these skills have the same Cast Time at level 1 & 5 (roughly 5 seconds with no points/gear invested at Job 50) so there is no reason not to max it for maximum damage and effectiveness. I mean lets face it the reason for not using max of most skills is due to cast time/cool down problems which have no difference for these spells.

Crimson Rock - Like the above spells Level 1 & 5 have the SAME cast time of 10 seconds or so. So considering this it's great to use with Release and there is no reason not to max it as it is the most reliable Fire Spell since Fire Bolt lmao.

Earth Strain - This spell is quite odd/unique in how it works, it also INCREASES range, damage and CAST TIME as you level it. Level 1 has about a 5 Second Cast time and Level 5 around 10 seconds. Again naked with base stats at 1. The AoE is odd in that it is like a Wave of earth rolling outwords in the direction you cast it. It also has a Very WIDE AoE rather than Long like the diagram Below. This spell is best used with release as well due to the 10 Second Cast time at level 5 and considering in PvM it's best used on Wind element guys who are typically fast.

Level 1

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXSXXXXXXX
_______S_______
_______S_______
_______C_______

X= Damage area, C= Caster position S = points it can be casted at with AoE starting earlier but only going 3cells.

If you cast it right in front of you, it can only be casted like 1-3 cells in front of you as well and does NOT seem to increase with Radius. Basically from the point of cast it has a 15 cells Wide by 3 cells Distant area of effect with each additional level increasing the Distance. Level 5 seems to have a 15 W * 7 D AoE.

Chain Lighnting - Increases Cast Time and Damage with levels. This makes this spell LESS useful than I had wanted and may actually make me go back to LoV and reconsider it. Would not get more than level 1 of this.

Tetra Vortex - WORTHLESS, this spell has like a 20 second Cast Time on max (didn't test level 1 as with all the prep work needed you want the BANG).

Edited by EvilLoynis, 07 July 2011 - 09:06 AM.

#9 Hamidemian

Hamidemian

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Server:Yggdrasil

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:15 AM

How much is Chain Lightning's cast time increased? LoV has 10.5s in lvl 10.

#10 EvilLoynis

EvilLoynis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1652 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 12:34 PM

You should Download the sakray test server to test for yourself to.

I will check this out as soon as I go back on.

#11 CeruleanGamer

CeruleanGamer

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7685 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 08 July 2011 - 05:45 AM

Further to add, Chan Lightning will be your new Jupitel Thunder as a Warlock. You don't need to max JT at all. Just prerequisite at 5.

Trust me, CL is A LOT better than LoV damagewise. You should see me in PvP do 70k damage on frozen enemies with it + 3 consecutive hits of around 40k per hit if they are alone.

Edited by CeruleanGamer, 08 July 2011 - 06:24 AM.

#12 EvilLoynis

EvilLoynis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1652 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:19 AM

Chain Lightning has around a 5 second CT at lvl 1 to a 10 second CT at lvl 5

#13 Anko

Anko

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 804 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 06:12 AM

In pvm the cast time of CL is comparable to CR. In pvp, cast time doesn't matter so much since your target should be frozen when you use it. That's my feelings on CL.

#14 CeruleanGamer

CeruleanGamer

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7685 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 09 July 2011 - 09:16 AM

In pvm the cast time of CL is comparable to CR. In pvp, cast time doesn't matter so much since your target should be frozen when you use it. That's my feelings on CL.

Chain Lightning still hurts if you use it on an unfrozen enemy. Just make sure they are alone to do the maximum damage on 1 target.

#15 EvilLoynis

EvilLoynis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1652 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:17 PM

Chain Lightning still hurts if you use it on an unfrozen enemy. Just make sure they are alone to do the maximum damage on 1 target.

I noticed one or two other problems with Chain Lightning in actual usage.

- you are locked in place until all the hits are done. I mean YOU the caster.
- When casting on a Frozen target or using MAmp, these only effect the 1st hit not all of them.
- After Cast Delay. (unlike JT)

This makes it a bit less useful then JT imho. That deals all hits at one time, pushes back and has no after cast delay OR Cool down.

#16 Wizard

Wizard

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3957 posts
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:21 PM

No, you can walk around after casting CL... there's no requirement for you to stay put until all the hits were done...

Plus we have TV/Comet book available on iRO atm

#17 EvilLoynis

EvilLoynis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1652 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:35 PM

No, you can walk around after casting CL... there's no requirement for you to stay put until all the hits were done...

Plus we have TV/Comet book available on iRO atm

I was using CL today while doing the 8th quest right at the end before maint and every time I used it I would then be jerked back every time it hit if I tried to walk away. The monster was half a screen away so it wasn't hitting me but it kind of looked like it.

Maybe what it does is jerk you back into "range" of each hit. Therefore say monster is 9 cells away and that is the max casting distance, and you cast then start to walk away from them, each hit may jerk you back to within 9 cells.

I have not experimented enough with it to be sure though why it keeps jerking me around as if it's lagged.

#18 CeruleanGamer

CeruleanGamer

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7685 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:04 PM

Chain lightning hits after the initial hit are still dealt even if the caster or its target goes off screen. You don't need the target and yourself to be in the same screen to deal all hits possible.

I think there's even a "delay" that allows the spell to "wait" for a bit and attack enemies that try to go in range of your initial target. Happened to me twice when a GX decided to uncloak himself 3 seconds after I hit someone with chain lightning and he himself got struck by it.

This makes it a bit less useful then JT imho. That deals all hits at one time, pushes back and has no after cast delay OR Cool down.

CL 5 does 900% matk dmg. On a frozen enemy, this does 175% more damage, meaning the first hit does 1575% damage (2362.50% with MAmp). On a single target that's frozen, it should do 1575% (2362.5%), then 3 hits of 900% (1350% with MAmp) matk damage. Jupitel Thunder doesn't even compare.

Edited by CeruleanGamer, 19 July 2011 - 10:06 PM.

#19 Anchors

Anchors

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 929 posts
  • Server:Chaos, when it's up

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:31 PM

I was using CL today while doing the 8th quest right at the end before maint and every time I used it I would then be jerked back every time it hit if I tried to walk away. The monster was half a screen away so it wasn't hitting me but it kind of looked like it.

Sounds like when you're holding the left mouse button to walk and you click Cast Cancel as a sage; there's a very short stop & delay involved when you use it, and you get dragged back each time you use it while mouse-click-and-hold walking. Without a separate cast animation, however, there's nothing to stop your sprite from continuing its movement... and thus the appearance of a drag-back.

#20 Anko

Anko

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 804 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 01:04 PM

Maybe what it does is jerk you back into "range" of each hit. Therefore say monster is 9 cells away and that is the max casting distance, and you cast then start to walk away from them, each hit may jerk you back to within 9 cells.

I have not experimented enough with it to be sure though why it keeps jerking me around as if it's lagged.

I've noticed that too, not certain if it was soul drain or CL doing it.

#21 EvilLoynis

EvilLoynis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1652 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:17 PM

CL 5 does 900% matk dmg. On a frozen enemy, this does 175% more damage, meaning the first hit does 1575% damage (2362.50% with MAmp). On a single target that's frozen, it should do 1575% (2362.5%), then 3 hits of 900% (1350% with MAmp) matk damage. Jupitel Thunder doesn't even compare.

Amps effect only works on the first hit not the rest of Chain Lightning. So 1 target it can hit 4 times. Only the first hit is amp'd and the rest only do normal damage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users