Better way of getting rid of spam bots - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Better way of getting rid of spam bots

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 habsfan

habsfan

I am New.

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:52 PM

So yeah, I managed to fill out my block list within 5 minutes of being in Prontera. And there were still plenty of ogg-etc-etc bots spamming.

Can we PLEASE just block fast messages like this? I don't think anyone types that quickly anymore. If muting causes problems for innocent people, how about users with fast spamming messages end up being stuck in a spam channel. So like a guild channel but it's a different area for public chat? And you are stuck talking in there for a set amount of time?.

#2 Talvis

Talvis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1985 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Midwest
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Renewal Chaos

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:40 PM

Creating a chat channel just for spammers would be too much work for the lazy devs.
The only thing that will stop spammers is for the GMs to hire on 20 or so people so that they can have a constant presence in the main spammed areas (all their games, not just RO). But, for some reason, they're either not willing to do that or not able to afford the staff needed to do that. And, something's wrong if they're not able to keep the staff on to properly patrol illegal activity.

#3 Makk

Makk

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 407 posts
  • Location@ work. always.
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:46 PM

Fighting spam bots, especially on a free mmo, is like fighting a hydra. The only real way to deal with them is to crash their market. If no one buys their products -> they lose money -> they leave. As long as it is profitable for them to continue, they will. Honestly, back when Loki was infested with those little buggers I just muted out general chat in my window.

#4 DieNasty

DieNasty

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1395 posts
  • Server:Valk

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:25 PM

I actually thought of this while right clicking to ignore those spam bots yesterday. Create an auto ban system where a player (spammer) gets ban if they get ignored too many times in a certain period of times.

Now, I know this can be abused with Guild and Guild alliances ignoring that individual to purposely get them banned. However, I think that this is a low risk since most guilds actually cares about their reputation so the chances of groups abusing this is relatively low.

Now what if the player (actual ligit one and not spammer) get banned? He/she can submit a ticket to get their account unbanned. If every one dont mind dealing with submitting a ticket to get their char unbanned then I guess the GM team can actually implement something like this.

GM team, send me 6K prize medal if you think that this is a good idea :waddle:

#5 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts
  • LocationWaterfall of the Nine Heavens
  • Server:All

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:39 PM

I actually thought of this while right clicking to ignore those spam bots yesterday. Create an auto ban system where a player (spammer) gets ban if they get ignored too many times in a certain period of times.

Now, I know this can be abused with Guild and Guild alliances ignoring that individual to purposely get them banned. However, I think that this is a low risk since most guilds actually cares about their reputation so the chances of groups abusing this is relatively low.

Now what if the player (actual ligit one and not spammer) get banned? He/she can submit a ticket to get their account unbanned. If every one dont mind dealing with submitting a ticket to get their char unbanned then I guess the GM team can actually implement something like this.

This actually wouldn't be that bad of an idea, however I think at the time you report the person for spamming it would be nice if the client could send along a capture of the text in your chat log to root out the abuse part.

#6 Pril

Pril

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 562 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:50 PM

Players who use automated means to block spammers will almost definitely block dazzler (and frost joke I suppose) spammers in WoE.

The suggestion has been brought up numerous times in the past with no response.

#7 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts
  • LocationWaterfall of the Nine Heavens
  • Server:All

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:53 PM

Well thats the difference between a level 1 novice spammer and a higher level dancer/bard class skill spam. I imagine the report could also include class, level, when it was created, etc information from data mining techniques.

#8 allastorm

allastorm

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 07 July 2011 - 02:09 PM

I brought this idea up a while ago, and it was shot down and it has been mentioned by others several times before. I personally don't see why this COULDN'T work. I think it would be workable if the auto-ban system was only accessible in the major towns... because pretty much that is where the problem is and it would rule out a lot of people abusing the system. Basically, if you are in Prontera and spamming like crazy and lets say 15 people report you in a 30 minute time frame, you should be auto-banned for maybe a 24hr period, and if you are reporting AGAIN a longer ban.

That idea... or allow certain people that have proven to be responsible (maybe through recognition in the community combined with a sort of training so the power is not abused) the authority to silence or temp-ban the spammers.

Of course, with both ideas, if someone WAS wrongfully banned it should be logged, and those who falsely reported or temp-banned / silenced them would be liable. I don't really see this being a problem though.

#9 Makk

Makk

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 407 posts
  • Location@ work. always.
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 07 July 2011 - 02:44 PM

When it comes to finding exploits, iRO kinda has a reputation don't we? Not that it's necessarily bad, it just means that we should be the ones testing the new content not kRO :waddle: The muting system that you guys are talking about would be exploited, that I can almost guarantee you. It's almost asking guilds to try and ban competing guilds as often as possible, even if it were to only work in town.

Edited by Makk, 07 July 2011 - 03:10 PM.

#10 Hacks

Hacks

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 534 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 07:07 PM

the reputation system wont work because it relies on input from regular users. regular users might as well just be bots, they'll spam the system with false positives and the system is beat. a better solution is a GM bot that patrols for spam and handles it automatically. managing spambots in this way allows for the GM team to have full control over what qualifies as spam and actively make changes as needed without restarting servers or requiring assistance from kRO. if one GM bot isnt enough, thats ok, the system is scalable, just make another GM bot account and run another instance of the bot. additional patrols can be added with little effort once the initial scripting is complete. if problems with this system develop, it can be discontinued instantly without making any changes to the servers. to top it all off, theres no negative performance impact on the server that might be expected with server-side monitoring and control. honestly i dont know why this isnt in place already.

#11 BlackPotato

BlackPotato

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1249 posts
  • LocationIris born, loud and proud!
  • Server:Iris

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:46 PM

IP ban the botters. problem solved! thx inbushashi for deleting my post! :waddle: fascists.... ummm, why not ban anyone who makes bot names? why the-_- would a normal player make a name htrwertdfgsrtdf? or would force bots to actually use programing skills to make real names, and then deal with it from there. problem with botters: theyre always 2 steps ahead of you. its like chess, you gotta plan ahead.

Edited by BlackPotato, 07 July 2011 - 10:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users