Sorcerer or Warlock? - Game Discussions (archived) - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Sorcerer or Warlock?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Deevous

Deevous

I am New.

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:34 PM

Hi. =] I'm new to iRO and I want to create a mage character, but I don't know which job class I should switch to. What is the difference between wizards/warlocks and sages/sorcerers? And which one is better for PVP and WoE? Thanks.

#2 CeruleanGamer

CeruleanGamer

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7685 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
  • Server:Yggdrasil, Ymir

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:27 PM

Warlock. No contest.

#3 Deevous

Deevous

I am New.

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:00 PM

Warlock. No contest.

Oh ok, thanks. ^^ Would you happen to know of a guide for creating one? I've tried researching it, but I don't even know if I should go with VIT or DEX to start. =/

#4 Caelum

Caelum

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:15 PM

For PvP/WoE go Sorc
For solo PvE go Sorc
For group PvE go Warlock

#5 Deevous

Deevous

I am New.

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:30 PM

For PvP/WoE go Sorc
For solo PvE go Sorc
For group PvE go Warlock

Hm, is there any reason why it's so specific? They both seem to have similar spells. :S

#6 Caelum

Caelum

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 02:23 AM

Hm, is there any reason why it's so specific? They both seem to have similar spells. :S

Sorc spells have much lower re-use and skill delays, so cast reductions + strings + ventus summon can grant them insta-cast or near-insta cast. With low skill delays they can cycle through 3-4 skills in rotations that allow good DPS. Sorcs also have a higher HP modifer than Locks, more disables, and have their SP-manipulation skills from Sage/Scholar, so they are the overall better choice for solo PvE and PvP-environments.

Warlocks are fragile and have busrt damage skills with relatively high reuse and skill delays. They die to almost every other class in PvP, lost their ability to kill players with there being way too much elemental resistance in RO and other classes have amazingly high HP. Using reading spellbook, Locks can achieve insta-cast, but only for a short time before they use up their stored skills and have to refill it (which takes a while). PvP environments in RO are all about being able to execute skills quickly and survive, both of which Locks lack since they depend on set-ups with status effects (like how JF doesn't do full damage unless FM is used first, a game-mechanic that serves no purpose in a fast-paced game like RO). Their only redeeming factor is the size of their AoEs, so they are much more suited to party-play PvM, with an option as an "offensive-support" class in WoE/PvP.

#7 Deevous

Deevous

I am New.

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:34 PM

Sorc spells have much lower re-use and skill delays, so cast reductions + strings + ventus summon can grant them insta-cast or near-insta cast. With low skill delays they can cycle through 3-4 skills in rotations that allow good DPS. Sorcs also have a higher HP modifer than Locks, more disables, and have their SP-manipulation skills from Sage/Scholar, so they are the overall better choice for solo PvE and PvP-environments.

Warlocks are fragile and have busrt damage skills with relatively high reuse and skill delays. They die to almost every other class in PvP, lost their ability to kill players with there being way too much elemental resistance in RO and other classes have amazingly high HP. Using reading spellbook, Locks can achieve insta-cast, but only for a short time before they use up their stored skills and have to refill it (which takes a while). PvP environments in RO are all about being able to execute skills quickly and survive, both of which Locks lack since they depend on set-ups with status effects (like how JF doesn't do full damage unless FM is used first, a game-mechanic that serves no purpose in a fast-paced game like RO). Their only redeeming factor is the size of their AoEs, so they are much more suited to party-play PvM, with an option as an "offensive-support" class in WoE/PvP.

Oh, I understand now. Thanks so much. =]

#8 SirDouglas

SirDouglas

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 625 posts
  • LocationBrazil
  • Server:Chaos(RE), Loki(Classic)

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:11 PM

For PvP/WoE go Sorc
For solo PvE go Sorc
For group PvE go Warlock

For pvp warlock is better too. Just white imprision and gravitational field

@topic : Warlock. :D

#9 Deevous

Deevous

I am New.

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:40 PM

@topic : Warlock. :D

Lol, now I'm just confused again.

#10 Caelum

Caelum

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:29 AM

As nice of a combo as it is, sadly it's just a bug. Only a matter of time before we get the fix for it and makes GField usless again. :D
The only skill that's supposed to do damage without breaking WI is Gloria Domini.

#11 Wizard

Wizard

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3957 posts
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:35 AM

As nice of a combo as it is, sadly it's just a bug. Only a matter of time before we get the fix for it and makes GField usless again. :D
The only skill that's supposed to do damage without breaking WI is Gloria Domini.

For PvP, TV/Comet book and LoL... that's all... and recast spellbook again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users