iRO GM Staff-PLEASE READ - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * - - 4 votes

iRO GM Staff-PLEASE READ

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Zalen

Zalen

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:25 PM

Okay, first off I want to say that I do enjoy playing this game, and will continue to enjoy playing this game, but there are a few hindrances that are just quite annoying to make this game fully enjoyable.

So to start off... What's with all the misspelling on the website and in the game? I have seen countless mispelled words, or words missing letters around the entire website, especially in the skill descriptions. Even in game some of the skill descriptions do not seem up to date and also have many mispelling's. Is it so much to ask to just fix these small hindrances? Are you guys understaffed? Whats going on here? Your running a game business and making money off of people, yet you cannot even spell check?

Secondly, these turn in quest that are starting to come each week.. Why not leave them in the game? Why the hell take them out? Levels 1-85 have permanent turn-in quests, so why can't the rest of the game? Especially if your going to make them daily turn ins. Also.. Any particular reason why your leaving out 5 levels for this weeks turn in, and other weeks? For instance: July 12: 90-110 & 115-130. So your basically saying to either wait until the next week for a different leveled turn in quest, or grind the other 5 levels to start the other one?

Lastly, if you guys are understaffed.. Why not hire more people? I say understaffed because it seems like your having a hard time keeping up with simple things such as tickets, mispellings, and other random stuff I'm sure the community has complained about? I know its not easy running a game to EVERYONE's liking, or to make it perfect, but its just the simple things that can be fixed with barely any trouble. After all there are people out there, like me, who are paying for this game not only for VIP, but also by buying a lot of kafra points. Please here me out. I love this game, otherwise I still wouldn't be here today. 8 year RO veteran here.

P.S. I also have a suggestion.. Why not make an RO Veterans Program where if you have subscribed for a certain period of time, you can get certain in game items that you select to give to us? Just a thought..

#2 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Server:Classic

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:31 PM

Most of the misspellings you see are translation issues. It's rather tedious to go through every single thing to edit them. Not to mention not many people care for proper spelling and grammar anymore, and no one who does is perfect. Even a lot of the staff have some rather odd things to say sometimes. ;o Heim once blamed his illiteracy on us. xD Also... *you're (Sorry, couldn't help but point that out. Though as I said, no one is perfect... Stuff slips by. Before I finish this post I'm sure I'll have made some typo). I would definitely be willing to go through their spelling and grammar, though, if it was actually fixed once I gave it to them. =X I'm studying as an English & Composition major to hopefully edit for a publishing company.

They're trying to mix up where people level so it's not the same old grind fest. I like that. It doesn't COMPLETELY kill the price of the drop for that monster because the quest will move on the following week.

If you consider how many games they run and how many people are responsible for each one... They already have quite the staff there. Paychecks for so many people can get pretty expensive. They do hire occasionally, though. Hell, I've considered volunteering to go to their office a day or two a week, though. The job they have is, in a lot of ways, worse than retail during the holiday season. A lot of the time we give them quite a bit of crap, and it's not really gratifying to have everyone tell you how much you screwed up or they don't like the events, etc.

Edited by Ralis, 12 July 2011 - 09:34 PM.

#3 Pril

Pril

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 562 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:32 PM

Sloppy English on the forums has taken a toll to their English capabilities. That and they are human.

The permanent ones are permanent since they are on the Korean official server, which we get most of our updates from. The ones we've been getting as events are custom, so it'd probably take more approval and etc.

#4 Zalen

Zalen

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:33 PM

Most of the misspellings you see are translation issues. It's rather tedious to go through every single thing to edit them. Not to mention not many people care for proper spelling and grammar anymore, and no one who does is perfect. Even a lot of the staff have some rather odd things to say sometimes. ;o Heim once blamed his illiteracy on us. xD Also... *you're (Sorry, couldn't help but point that out. Though as I said, no one is perfect... Stuff slips by. Before I finish this post I'm sure I'll have made some typo).

They're trying to mix up where people level so it's not the same old grind fest. I like that. It doesn't COMPLETELY kill the price of the drop for that monster because the quest will move on the following week.

If you consider how many games they run and how many people are responsible for each one... They already have quite the staff there. Paychecks for so many people can get pretty expensive. They do hire occasionally, though. Hell, I've considered volunteering to go to their office a day or two a week, though. The job they have is, in a lot of ways, worse than retail during the holiday season. A lot of the time we give them quite a bit of crap, and it's not really gratifying to have everyone tell you how much you screwed up or they don't like the events, etc.

Yea, but you have to realize.. We are paying for this game.. At least I am.

#5 CeruleanGamer

CeruleanGamer

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7685 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
  • Server:Yggdrasil, Ymir

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:34 PM

Don't be such a grammar **** TC. Unless you're an English professor at Harvard or something, stop making fun of other people's grammar. It's the internet and we can say whatever we want, proper English or not, as long as it's understood.

Hiring more people = more cost to the company = Warpportal earning less money = Warpportal unhappy. :D

Not everyone is meant to be level 150. We have these quest so those who are dedicated to leveling can actually level and not give everyone a free ticket to instant level 150. Besides, do you notice the 15 level gap for each of those quests? They are meant for parties....

EDIT: This game is NOT a pay-to-play game. Warpportal isn't shoving anything down our throats saying, "YOU MUST BUY THIS OR WE BAN YOUR ACCOUNT!" You are free to choose not to buy anything. They only give you incentives, that is all. :)

Edited by CeruleanGamer, 12 July 2011 - 09:37 PM.

#6 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Server:Classic

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:38 PM

Yea, but you have to realize.. We are paying for this game.. At least I am.

As am I.

But consider how much each person is paying and what they need to pay their staff on a daily basis. Not to mention all the overtime and what not the GMs give us. Even when they're not working they'll be on the forums here answering posts and PMs.

If your average GM is working 9-5 five days a week, at minimum wage that's around $450 a person per week. How much do you spend on the game each week? =/

People complain about all the events that you need to pay for, but seriously... Compare it to any other game and it's really not that different.

#7 Zalen

Zalen

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:39 PM

Don't be such a grammar **** TC. Unless you're an English professor at Harvard or something, stop making fun of other people's grammar. It's the internet and we can say whatever we want, proper English or not, as long as it's understood.

Hiring more people = more cost to the company = Warpportal earning less money = Warpportal unhappy. :D

Not everyone is meant to be level 150. We have these quest so those who are dedicated to leveling can actually level and not give everyone a free ticket to instant level 150. Besides, do you notice the 15 level gap for each of those quests? They are meant for parties....

EDIT: This game is NOT a pay-to-play game. Warpportal isn't shoving anything down our throats saying, "YOU MUST BUY THIS OR WE BAN YOUR ACCOUNT!" You are free to choose not to buy anything. They only give you incentives, that is all. :)

Yea man, but my point is, I am paying for this game, and I would expect it to at least have proper grammar. Its really not that much to ask for. And what does having to be an English Prof. have anything to do with reading mispelled words? Nothing. Its just simple english, and simple typos that they can fix.

#8 GuardianTK

GuardianTK

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9388 posts
  • LocationIn a certain mansion
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:Chaos Renewal + Odin

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:39 PM

You should consider the spelling mistakes in your own OP first before complaining about theirs. Also:

Posted Image

Edited by GuardianTK, 12 July 2011 - 09:41 PM.

#9 Zalen

Zalen

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:45 PM

You should consider the spelling mistakes in your own OP first before complaining about theirs. Also:

Posted Image

That has to be one of the dumbest post's by Heim I have ever seen, EVER. He's basically saying the people that play the game are making him retarded.. Yea that's a great response to the community. And who cares what spelling mistakes I make? I'm not running a gaming business.

#10 Pril

Pril

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 562 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:46 PM

I'd rather see them resolve balancing issues and game mechanic issues / bugs before going on to fixing petty little mistakes that most people don't notice / care about. I really don't see a connection between being an individual payer and having proper grammar presented to everyone - we all are exposed to their sloppy English equally, and it is unavoidable.

#11 Zalen

Zalen

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:48 PM

I'd rather see them resolve balancing issues and game mechanic issues / bugs before going on to fixing petty little mistakes that most people don't notice / care about. I really don't see a connection between being an individual payer and having proper grammar presented to everyone - we all are exposed to their sloppy English equally, and it is unavoidable.

I agree with this fully, but it doesn't even seem they are getting close to completing that. And what I am asking for, is basically to just correct the typos on the website. Its really no big deal. LOL

#12 Pril

Pril

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 562 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:49 PM

The problem is that they don't see their typos, and the mass majority of the population either does not notice or does not care enough to point them out. If you'd like them to fix some typos, perhaps lend them a hand in pointing them out.

#13 Zalen

Zalen

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:51 PM

The problem is that they don't see their typos, and the mass majority of the population either does not notice or does not care enough to point them out. If you'd like them to fix some typos, perhaps lend them a hand in pointing them out.

Yea, I def don't mind lending a hand at all. In fact I would love to help them out for free, no problems at all. That's why I made this post to hopefully have them hear me out. The other points I posted I dont expect much of an answer back, but at least fixing simple typos should be no problem, especially with the help of the community.

#14 CeruleanGamer

CeruleanGamer

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7685 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:52 PM

Most people here are nice and don't expose others people's bad grammar and make them feel bad. People just ignore it if they know what the person is talking about.

#15 Zalen

Zalen

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:52 PM

I mean think about new players that might wanna try the game.. They start reading the website.. See typos everywhere.. Notice that this is an 8 year old game, and probably go "Wow.. So many typos.. Imagine what the game must be like."

#16 Zalen

Zalen

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:54 PM

Most people here are nice and don't expose others people's bad grammar and make them feel bad. People just ignore it if they know what the person is talking about.

What does this have to do with making people feel bad? They are running a professional business that makes money. This has nothing to do with exposing bad grammar to make someone feel bad. This is just a dumb post right here. The point is, fix the simple typos. Everyone makes them, that's why there's a thing called "proof reading."

#17 CeruleanGamer

CeruleanGamer

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7685 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:57 PM

What does this have to do with making people feel bad? They are running a professional business that makes money. This has nothing to do with exposing bad grammar to make someone feel bad. This is just a dumb post right here. The point is, fix the simple typos. Everyone makes them, that's why there's a thing called "proof reading."

We are in Warpportal Community forums, talking about games, not a University's forum website acting like scholars and asking each other's posts to be proof-read.

Edited by CeruleanGamer, 12 July 2011 - 09:58 PM.

#18 GuardianTK

GuardianTK

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9388 posts
  • LocationIn a certain mansion
  • Server:Chaos Renewal + Odin

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:57 PM

That has to be one of the dumbest post's by Heim I have ever seen, EVER. He's basically saying the people that play the game are making him retarded.. Yea that's a great response to the community. And who cares what spelling mistakes I make? I'm not running a gaming business.

The GM's are human beings. Whether professional or unprofessional, people will always be subject to change depending on their working conditions. Try working for customer service in any store and you'll feel the effects wearing on you. The same goes for representatives who have to answer to innumerable emails from people not of american native language. It's International Ragnarok Online.

As Pril points out, what difference is there? If you're so serious about them fixing their spelling/grammar mistakes, send in a support ticket mentioning said mistakes on their website. Just be sure you're able to point out the mistakes without making them yourself. Which is exactly why your own spelling matters when you're trying to make a point about spelling mistakes from others.

#19 Mefistofeles

Mefistofeles

Too Legit To Quit

• Members - No Sig
  • 1281 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:00 PM

P.S. I also have a suggestion.. Why not make an RO Veterans Program where if you have subscribed for a certain period of time, you can get certain in game items that you select to give to us? Just a thought..

i like the idea of some kind of gift for al those old mans that stil playing a game for 12+ XD, really... i really want a exclusive item becouse im a old user and bought kafra points in the past, something that says "HEY YOU NOOB LIKE AT ME I AWESUUUUUM OLD IN THIS YOU CAN BEAT ME!" idk something that cant be get anymore for new players, like that Xmas accesory that enables a skill etc....

#20 Zalen

Zalen

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:05 PM

I just don't understand why you people think its so bad that I'm suggesting that they fix typos on their website. Seriously, you act like its the most :D up thing anyone has said. LoL Trolls.

#21 Viri

Viri

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6295 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:06 PM

It is unprofessional and makes them even harder to take seriously. No other game I've ever played has had moderators/GMs that seem as... uneducated as RO's

#22 Zalen

Zalen

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:07 PM

It is unprofessional and makes them even harder to take seriously. No other game I've ever played has had moderators/GMs that seem as... uneducated as RO's

Finally, someone who see's my point.

#23 Viri

Viri

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6295 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:09 PM

Nah, I've agreed with you the entire time. The responses from the other people in this thread though make me wonder why I bother "arguing" with most of them. They don't want well presented facts in an organized manner, they want crying and redirection of blame.

#24 Luckywhiterabbit

Luckywhiterabbit

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1740 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:12 PM

I agree with the OP.

#25 Heimdallr

Heimdallr

Too Legit To Quit

• Community Managers
  • 3654 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:14 PM

I agree fixing typos should be a priority.

Problem is if a person made a typo, and overlooked it when checked they will likely keep overlooking it as it doesn't look wrong. So give example or url or something that is wrong and it will get fixed. We make updates to the pages to be permanent so we don't have to keep going back over the materials until something is updated; if something hasn't been updated in a long while it is likely not been gone over in a long time as we have other things to work on. So bring it to our attention so we can fix it.

If it is skill names... it is what it is, those were the "magic words" that were chosen to represent the imaginary skill.

The post about my fluency received the exact response from the community I had hoped, taking it out of context and raging about it seems kinda a "searching for a reason to rage" sort of thing, so get beyond it please.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users