Cracked nailed it - Page 4 - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * - - 4 votes

Cracked nailed it

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#76 Anpanman

Anpanman

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:11 PM

Um... isn't all this really just about being better than the next guy? I'm pretty sure we'd all agree this game would stink if everyone had access to everything. People would get bored and leave.

And how can we choose who gets what? Two ways: 1. s/he who grinds the most; and 2. s/he who gets lucky. Mostly, in RO it's a combination of the two - you grind a lot, you get more spins at the slot machine of monster killing.

Complain all you want about how lame grinding is - but without it, all you have left is "luck" to figure out the distribution of "stuff". And you don't have to look far to see the complaints re: the purely luck based aspects of RO. (e.g., look at the "FIX THE REFINING/UPGRADING" threads - "I can't upgrade anything past +5 boohoo!"

We can't all be the same - that would stink. And if you decrease the grind aspect of things - it just makes the wealth distribution that much more narrow - more people have access to more of everything. You seen some of those high rate servers? O_o

So, figure out a better way than grinding or rolling the dice to distribute wealth - cuz at the moment, that's kinda all we have.

Edited by Anpanman, 17 July 2011 - 10:15 PM.

#77 Nombus

Nombus

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:21 PM

Um... isn't all this really just about being better than the next guy? I'm pretty sure we'd all agree this game would stink if everyone had access to everything.

Actually those that enjoy the mechanics of RO rather than the long time spent hunting and lvling might disagree with you on this point. First, that we already have access to everything, but time and money are the major factors that impede others from gaining the same things. Second, USRC is entirely based on everyone having access everything and it is probably the most enjoyable event in RO due to the fact that it is the only time everything comes down to skill alone.

#78 Makk

Makk

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 407 posts
  • Location@ work. always.
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:27 PM

Um... isn't all this really just about being better than the next guy? I'm pretty sure we'd all agree this game would stink if everyone had access to everything. People would get bored and leave.

I don't even think that that is necessarily true. Take Team Fortress 2 before they started adding all of the alternate weapons etc., All players had access to everything, the only thing that made you better than the next guy was pure skill, but I digress...

RO has its share of skilled players. That is a fact. Many of them have paid their dues doing things the hard way; leveling using a sharp stick through the snow, uphill both ways, on fabre. To those of you that this this, I salute you. I can grind level as much as the next guy, but for me it's just not fun. Variety is the spice of life, and slogging though thousands of kills of the same monster feels like something you should be sentenced to, not be doing for fun. God help you if you're not even in remote danger of dying from the monsters you're leveling on. No one (at least most people) wants the game to hand them anything, they just want an enjoyable experience that doesn't feel like a second job. The feeling that should be cultivated is, "I can't wait to level up!" instead of, "God I have to level up :thumb: ") The worst thing about leveling up is staring at that 0% marker again and cursing whatever thing you feel like cursing because of it.

Edited by Makk, 17 July 2011 - 10:29 PM.
Grammar ><

#79 valarauko

valarauko

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:30 PM

:thumb: Think of your liver! It's crying right now. Like this one. http://profile.ak.fb...4_6185133_n.jpg

Are you 12?

#80 Bronx

Bronx

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 943 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:17 AM

Ok, I've read enough. To whatever that guy's name is: If you want to date a skinny woman, don't date a fat girl, and try to get her to lose weight. Instead, go find a skinny woman, and date her instead.

This is Ragnarok Community Chat. I don't go into whatever that game's name is that you talk about so much, and talk about RO, because I know the people in that forum are in it to talk about thier game, not some other game, some random stranger on the internet prefers. Thank you.

#81 Luckywhiterabbit

Luckywhiterabbit

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1740 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:41 AM

I love grinding but not in MMO'S but in RPG's OLD SCHOOL RPGS, not the new age crap they call RPGS, Where talking nes snes ps1 age of rpgs, Boss battles that beat you ass till you where of sufficient lvl and gear, random battles with orges and harpies, now it days it all about the flashy graphics and cut scenes, and ACTION Baseed combat systems that seem to do the battle for you. or have some gun battle system, that is actual 3rd person shoting passed off as RPG elements as RPG game.

To me RPG will always mean Turn based battles system. with lots grind that reward you with the ability to beat the last boss once you high enough level, and not get your ass one shots, cause of unbalance broke ass B) in the game

Don't be so closed-minded. An RPG is a role playing game. Legend of Zelda is considered an RPG. Pretty much any game where you gain EXP to level and become stronger is going to require some form of grind. Even Borderlands has grinding. Guess what? That can still be considered fun for people who like grinding, regardless of how old school or how new the game is, or how back in your day all they ever had to eat for dinner was mullygrubs, and the mullygrubs were covered in poisonous spikes, so after every meal you had to see a doctor, and the doctors back in your day were devil men with pliers for hands and hearts as black as coal, and...

#82 Tkwan

Tkwan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2260 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:56 AM

Are you 12?

I'm in my 20's. I am aware that alcohol is also toxic, as are cigarettes and almost any foreign substance you put in your body nowadays. It's all about control of the substances you intake. But that is for a completely different subject.

Makk you are completely right. Here's something gravity should think about. The grind to 150 would be alot more entertaining if we actually were able to experience those wonderful 3rd job skills most of the classes have. Instead we have to wait until we're almost done, if not already done hitting 150 to finally be able to experience that fully. Where is the fun in that? New things are what attract people, and keep them playing. We've had the "get exp->level->put stat points in" routine for 200+ levels at the 3rd job point. We should get the skills much much more quickly as it will spice up that grinding experience and make it much more entertaining.

Also Bronx, I'm sure you meant me, and I kept comparing to WoW because that game has undoubtedly set the standard in gaming. They couldn't boast about 12 million subscribers if they hadn't set that standard. No other game has yet accomplished what they have. So many people join their game because they have a working formula, which should give other developers ideas on what to do/not do. WoW has set the standard of MMO's, and if you're not above the standard, you're below it. No game has yet been able to beat WoW in sheer community size yet, but it should be what they strive for. Community=revenue=more staff=better support=success. RO has the capability to get close to this, but it for sure won't beat out WoW. The only reason for that is graphics. Alot of people want high end graphics these days. But, even if they cant beat it, this game has the great potential to come very close; IF changes are made. If not then they will stay in this slow downward spiral that it appears the game is heading in.

#83 Akami

Akami

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1121 posts
  • LocationHell
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:02 AM

Final Fantasy XII.

You had access to all these high-level monsters and dungeons every so often, but the things inside would KILL you. There were also like 15 hidden Espers / Bosses that you could find early on that would beat the snot out of you unless you were way overleveled.

That game had an aspect of fair play in that regard, as it was the first FF game I know of where you could actually see the monsters coming on the field and avoid them (no more random encounters).

#84 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Server:Classic

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:13 AM

That game had an aspect of fair play in that regard, as it was the first FF game I know of where you could actually see the monsters coming on the field and avoid them (no more random encounters).

Monsters also didn't drop gil. xD They dropped loot they might have, which was good. B) It was definitely my favorite Final Fantasy so far.

Dragon Quest VIII also had a lot of grinding. I remember grinding a good 5 levels before I fought Dhoulmagus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users