ExDarkrb

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1234 posts
  • LocationSingapore
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 19 July 2011 - 04:56 AM

nope they cant. wunt and shouldnt do anything about it.

Heres why:
1. This is the easiest place to access since this is where u go when u start, so if any of them are banned, a new one just comes along.

2. Banning them at low lvls is pretty useless because real player bots will not feel the heartache compared to banning at magmarings where all are abt to trans or 3rd. Non-real players will just make more accounts to continue the spam bot chain.

3. The GMs are wasting their time on banning these bots and can use the time spent to do much more worthy things like fixing bugs, banning higher lvl bots, develop more quests, work on improving the quest exp and maybe even progress into the next episode!

Heres an idea of a solution to it:
Allow players to flag a certain character as a bot. Once the player has been flagged say 20 times, they are banned for 1 day, also, their names will be logged on a GM's list so if these bots appear again after the 1 day ban they will be monitored and maybe get a perma ban if they continue.

This idea isnt originally mine but i am also pushing for this idea, hope it happens

#3 HayrohsLegacy

HayrohsLegacy

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6755 posts
  • Location名古屋、Japan
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:Loki Champ & Chaos RG

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:24 AM

nope they cant. wunt and shouldnt do anything about it.

Heres why:
1. This is the easiest place to access since this is where u go when u start, so if any of them are banned, a new one just comes along.

2. Banning them at low lvls is pretty useless because real player bots will not feel the heartache compared to banning at magmarings where all are abt to trans or 3rd. Non-real players will just make more accounts to continue the spam bot chain.

3. The GMs are wasting their time on banning these bots and can use the time spent to do much more worthy things like fixing bugs, banning higher lvl bots, develop more quests, work on improving the quest exp and maybe even progress into the next episode!

Allow players to flag a certain character as a bot. Once the player has been flagged say 20 times, they are banned for 1 day, also, their names will be logged on a GM's list so if these bots appear again after the 1 day ban they will be monitored and maybe get a perma ban if they continue.

This idea isnt originally mine but i am also pushing for this idea, hope it happens

Good idea, but I do hope this will "only" work for novice classes since most of spam bots and levelin bots start/use novice. /no1

Edited by HayrohsLegacy, 19 July 2011 - 05:26 AM.

#4 GuardianTK

GuardianTK

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9388 posts
  • LocationIn a certain mansion
  • Server:Chaos Renewal + Odin

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:31 AM

That can be abused if players/botters can get immediately banned after 20 flags or so. It's not a bad idea though if you make it so said flagged player is put up as a priority on a list for GM inspection.

@Hayroh: This thread is pointless as ExDarkrb pointed out.

Edited by GuardianTK, 19 July 2011 - 05:33 AM.

#5 HayrohsLegacy

HayrohsLegacy

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6755 posts
  • Location名古屋、Japan

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:39 AM

That can be abused if players/botters can get immediately banned after 20 flags or so. It's not a bad idea though if you make it so said flagged player is put up as a priority on a list for GM inspection.

@Hayroh: This thread is pointless as ExDarkrb pointed out.

Yea I know it can be abused thats why I pointed it to for novices only, not sure though and yea its useless even I or other ppl post craps about bots, I was just surprised by the newbie grounds coz its like "more and more" than before, Valk is doomed by bots... /e5

#6 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:40 AM

I've had better luck with doing a log search of commonly botted maps, gathering up IPs that have a lot of trash jumbled alphabet names and sending up a mass ban. I'm going to have the dungeon maps searched up, but if you have field maps you'd like to have swept please let me know. I'm particularly interested in ygg bot spots, as the situation there is a bit different from valk.

#7 ExDarkrb

ExDarkrb

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1234 posts
  • LocationSingapore
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:42 AM

Yea I know it can be abused thats why I pointed it to for novices only, not sure though and yea its useless even I or other ppl post craps about bots, I was just surprised by the newbie grounds coz its like "more and more" than before, Valk is doomed by bots... /e5

hehe imo it aint easily abused and 20 is a really good number, trust me, you will cry trying to log on to 20 chars just to ban sum1. So i believe it really takes many ppl to cooperate to bring the bots down. Quite as much a good shield against spam bots.

As for the bot problem, we gotta face it, its been like this forever and its the same for every RO except the 2 famous ones who have won the war.

For me, i just ignore them or i PM Oda on forums since that is the fastest way to get a bot banned and also a chance to see Oda in-game =P

Ahhhh...there he is!

Edited by ExDarkrb, 19 July 2011 - 05:43 AM.

#8 GuardianTK

GuardianTK

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9388 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:00 AM

hehe imo it aint easily abused and 20 is a really good number, trust me, you will cry trying to log on to 20 chars just to ban sum1. So i believe it really takes many ppl to cooperate to bring the bots down. Quite as much a good shield against spam bots.

As for the bot problem, we gotta face it, its been like this forever and its the same for every RO except the 2 famous ones who have won the war.

For me, i just ignore them or i PM Oda on forums since that is the fastest way to get a bot banned and also a chance to see Oda in-game =P

Ahhhh...there he is!

It doesn't take many people if you can make as many alts and accounts for such a purpose though. It really doesn't take any effort and could potentially be scripted or botted for such a purpose to target someone they hate. Even then, guild hate could take place as well. Think about siege where if every guild member online decided to flag an enemy recaller that 20 times, that recaller would be banned for that entire siege if it worked that way. It's best to go by my suggestion where a character is flagged for a GM to inspect a list of characters instead of an immediate effective ban of said quota number of flags. It is easily abused for certain situations no matter how you look at it. I'm sure the GM's understand this as well.

#9 HayrohsLegacy

HayrohsLegacy

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6755 posts
  • Location名古屋、Japan

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:04 AM

It doesn't take many people if you can make as many alts and accounts for such a purpose though. It really doesn't take any effort and could potentially be scripted or botted for such a purpose to target someone they hate. Even then, guild hate could take place as well. Think about siege where if every guild member online decided to flag an enemy recaller that 20 times, that recaller would be banned for that entire siege if it worked that way. It's best to go by my suggestion where a character is flagged for a GM to inspect a list of characters instead of an immediate effective ban of said quota number of flags. It is easily abused for certain situations no matter how you look at it. I'm sure the GM's understand this as well.

Was thinking the same way, a guild can flag out a recaller or in other situations, but maybe if as I said; only for novices and 1st jobbers I guess this wont be a prob... /no1

#10 GuardianTK

GuardianTK

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9388 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:16 AM

Was thinking the same way, a guild can flag out a recaller or in other situations, but maybe if as I said; only for novices and 1st jobbers I guess this wont be a prob... /no1

Yeah, but flagging Novices and getting rid of them is a pointless effort to stop bots if people aren't constantly making new characters to catch them in the process at the Training Grounds. As such, it works in the same manner as having the wish for GM's to patrol the Novice Training Grounds 24/7 to look out for bots. It simply doesn't work, because it's not feasible to have someone there all the time. It would also limit our ability to catch highly suspected higher-leveled botters outside of the Novice Training Grounds in the act.

#11 asayuu

asayuu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2762 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:26 AM

Change some job change quests. I mean. The order of the answers, or something like that.

The human bots can make the quests manually, and then change. But the automatic bots will be trapped if they mark the wrong option all the time in their quest. And you can make one flag like that. 20 wrong answers in a row = the bot starts being flagged.

And the normal players won't be affected, because they can read the answers.

I would love to flag spambots though.

Edited by asayuu, 19 July 2011 - 07:28 AM.

#12 GuardianTK

GuardianTK

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9388 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:31 AM

Change some job change quests. I mean. The order of the answers, or something like that.

The human bots can make the quests manually, and then change. But the automatic bots will be trapped if they mark the wrong option all the time in their quest. And you can make one flag like that. 20 wrong answers in a row = the bot starts being flagged.

And the normal players won't be affected, because they can read the answers.

I would love to flag spambots though.

That would stop active botters for a week at most before they figure out a pattern to which they can bypass in some way. Just no.

#13 asayuu

asayuu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2762 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:41 AM

Most botters would not care about these changes. Most would not even know. It would take few time to the "good" ones to discover these settings and change it though... The hacking community is VERY intelligent.

But I think one other thing. The GMs should bot. *gets ready to die*

I mean. They could make some bot runs on Sakray, to check the behaviour of these bot programs, to see exactly how they work. When you know how something works, it's easy to make something on it.

#14 HayrohsLegacy

HayrohsLegacy

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6755 posts
  • Location名古屋、Japan

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:28 AM

They are inevitable... /e5

#15 bitbucket

bitbucket

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:46 AM

I've had better luck with doing a log search of commonly botted maps, gathering up IPs that have a lot of trash jumbled alphabet names and sending up a mass ban. I'm going to have the dungeon maps searched up, but if you have field maps you'd like to have swept please let me know. I'm particularly interested in ygg bot spots, as the situation there is a bit different from valk.

anthell02
beach_dun03
iz_dun01
iz_dun03
c_tower02
c_tower03
gef_dun00
gef_dun01
pay_dun03
in_sphinx02
tur_dun02
yuno_fild08
yuno_fild09
gef_fild06
ve_fild03

ra_san01

These maps all have a relatively large bot population on Yggdrasil; the bolded ones are outright infested.

Sweep those 16 maps every few days and you'll probably get at least 75% of the bots.

Edited by bitbucket, 19 July 2011 - 08:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users