Ymir And Valk Server Merger - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* - - - - 11 votes

Ymir And Valk Server Merger

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Zinja

Zinja

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2348 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Classic

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:22 AM

Edited : To keep this from Spiraling out of Control

My Basic Idea behind this was better woe fights.

Hence i believe the question is better asked the other way around .

Feasibility of Server Vs Server Woe ? Or a Common PVP/GVG Zone

Which apparently seems to make more sense .

Edited by Zinja, 01 August 2011 - 03:38 AM.

#2 SirDillhole

SirDillhole

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:50 AM

Big Guilds + Big Guilds = Problem on the server and smaller guilds. And I know some people will say "They're going to go against each other and prove which one is stronger". That will never happen, the stronger guilds will merge together and take over WoE.

While it maybe good to see numbers on the side of the server name, it will be 25% of those people in the Huge Alliance, 25% from the smaller guilds, and 50% that doesn't want to WoE because of the takeover.

I wouldn't mind if this happens, but server wipe from the God Items will have to happen before it happens just because, well both servers are infested with them...

#3 Zinja

Zinja

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2348 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:54 AM

i don't see the point of a server wipe of god items when it has already happened before. what is the point of them being in an equal economic state when suggestions like a god item wipe come up?

#4 ExDarkrb

ExDarkrb

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1234 posts
  • LocationSingapore
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:33 AM

According to economics terms, there is always a market failure. Although iRO has the extremely high perfect information rate, due to ragial, the industry is always too small because the players do not all sell homogeneous products. Also, there is a lot of factor mobility in the short run since it isn't easy to train a char to MVP solo that easily and the gears too.

However, since uthiopia can't be attained, it is best to stay status quo as the market is partially failed and at it's best. In otter words it is best to leave it than to damage it further

Yes, I can't believe I scored 20% for economics

#5 jax5

jax5

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 04:13 AM

Why would dynamic market equilibrium be suggestive for server merging? If anything, it's an encouraging sign for a healthy game economy.

If the two "old" servers merge, they would have less to go from there. What if there were some unforeseen reason why (oops) it didn't work? I'd imagine that trying to re-segregate the genesis of characters' server origins would be a catastrophe.

Edited by jax5, 28 July 2011 - 04:15 AM.

#6 Zinja

Zinja

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2348 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:01 PM

well its not only market its the overall economic factors. The average player/guild levels the number of 150's the number of god items. et all.
Leaving out the bot factor id say both the servers are more or less at the same stage .

#7 Mefistofeles

Mefistofeles

Too Legit To Quit

• Members - No Sig
  • 1281 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:14 PM

#8 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:16 PM

Please no.

Valk is fine without Golden Thief Bug Cards. Ymir has been around for much longer with higher drop rates and such, so there are even more MVP cards and God Items.

There would be too many guilds for WoE. New realms would need to be added to balance things out for all of the low and mid tier guilds.

The strain on the servers would be awful as well. Imagine those WoE realms 2x as laggy as they currently are. Do not want.

So... In short, no. Pleaseeeee no. =/

Edited by Ralis, 29 July 2011 - 09:38 AM.

#9 Zinja

Zinja

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2348 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:27 PM

so there are even more MVP cards and God Items.

There would be too many guilds for WoE

And that is a bad thing?

#10 Mefistofeles

Mefistofeles

Too Legit To Quit

• Members - No Sig
  • 1281 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:29 PM

#11 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:49 PM

And that is a bad thing?

Yes. Laaaaaaag is not a good thing.

#12 Zinja

Zinja

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2348 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:19 PM

How does it start? http://forums.playra...=search#M399015
Yes there were people asking for it well before the renewal merger happened :P
people tend to forget history pretty fast :P .
If some one would be so kind enough to link to heim's post about the mergers in which he says those are expected to be periodic.
Despite all the QQing and wailing by some people merger still happened :) .
Looks like i am going to be earning the good will of a lot of these QQ'ers with this thread. So be it :)

#13 GuardianTK

GuardianTK

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9388 posts
  • LocationIn a certain mansion
  • Server:Chaos Renewal + Odin

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:28 PM

The only reason we saw a server merge was because the population on the "premium" servers were on decline, no? Even so, Ymir remains as a "premium" server where you have to pay an initial fee to make a character to play there first before you can have it as free for as long as you want. Valk and Ygg are considered the real free servers. If there's going to be a merge, it'd be between Valk and Ygg.

1) Ymir has tons more God Items made as compared to Valk.

2) The existence of cards like GTB on Ymir as compared to Valk.

3) It wasn't exactly a "god item wipe" as you say it after the premium servers were merged. They were merely disassembled, only to be remade later. It's not the same as saying that the god items were completely deleted. Speaking of which, don't the Seals roll faster on Ymir than Valk anyways?

4) Do you mean by "Assuming the bot problem would disappear on the new merged server" as in temporarily, right? Let's assume they do perform a merge. What then? Do they make the new server a "premium" server where you have to pay first before you can make any character on there like how Ymir is right now?

5) What does the market have anything at all to do with the determination of merging servers? If anything, it's not that big of a factor as compared to population size problems.

#14 Zinja

Zinja

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2348 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:33 PM

inst Ygg poor? Overall?

one of the main concerns for the merger was that the markets would get skrewed up. I dont see that happening if valk and ymir merge.
may be at the top end god items/mvp cards but the regular market would remain stable.

#15 GuardianTK

GuardianTK

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9388 posts
  • LocationIn a certain mansion
  • Server:Chaos Renewal + Odin

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:52 PM

inst Ygg poor? Overall?

one of the main concerns for the merger was that the markets would get skrewed up. I dont see that happening if valk and ymir merge.
may be at the top end god items/mvp cards but the regular market would remain stable.

That was merely an example. Either case, it wouldn't work out at this time.

The main premise for the merger was to stabilize the population between the 3 premium servers(Iris being the one having the lowest population at the time...). You're right about the market being a concern with the merger, but it definitely wasn't a deciding factor for the consideration of the merge. Another factor that made them consider the merger was the operation costs vs profit. Or at least, that was the gist of it.

#16 Zeniachan

Zeniachan

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 389 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, United States
  • Server:Classic Loki

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:12 AM

While we're at it, let's go ahead and merge all 3 servers into one. Then when someone asks you, "What iRO server do you play on?" you can just say "iRO." Except me, because I'd quit anyways if that happened (most likely for good unless it was corrected to a tolerable standard...somehow)

#17 HayrohsLegacy

HayrohsLegacy

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6755 posts
  • Location名古屋、Japan
  • Server:Loki Champ & Chaos RG

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:51 AM

NO

#18 Snewt

Snewt

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:20 AM

Not ready for another merge yet.

Edited by Snewt, 29 July 2011 - 06:20 AM.

#19 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:31 AM

Saying people are asking for it is like saying a kid is asking for mcdonalds for dinner. Sure they might want it, but it's not really healthy.

A merge would be terrible. All the god items of 5 servers (Ymir is 4 servers combined) - would probably wind up in two guilds. Mergers always lead to people quitting - tbh, the merger wasn't that great for the premium population at the time. Renewal and updates saved Ymir, the merger plunged the population down to I would dare say a third of what it was pre merger.

So bad idea imo. And Heim says a lot of stuff but often (as he has said himself) a lot of it is offhanded musing and ideas rather than actual serious game suggestions.

#20 Zinja

Zinja

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2348 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:50 AM

what i really don't get is how a lot of god items are going to affect the general population? don't valk and ymir have relatively equal number of god items by now? since ymir started making god items fresh from the merger.

Do god items make that much of a difference with the Current OP 3rd class ?

#21 meli

meli

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2688 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:51 AM

Ymir:we don't want your bots.

Valk:we don't want your GTB and god items.

#22 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:56 AM

what i really don't get is how a lot of god items are going to affect the general population? don't valk and ymir have relatively equal number of god items by now? since ymir started making god items fresh from the merger.

Do god items make that much of a difference with the Current OP 3rd class ?

Who cares about the general population when the direction of the majority of players is driven by highly motivated individuals that become guildleaders? That may sound mean but it means the "average" person has less fun.

Ymir has a HORRIBLE number of items and MVP cards. Valk probably doesn't have as many sets sitting around.

And yes. Play more imo =x

#23 Zinja

Zinja

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2348 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:11 AM

How exactly is more number off god items and mvp cards bad? inst it just going to even out the competition?

Or are some people afraid they might loose the illusion of Elite based on their god items and not on their actual game play?

I am sure you all have seen enough share of good players who don't use any god items.

if any thing they would make god items more affordable :P

Edited by Zinja, 29 July 2011 - 07:12 AM.

#24 Tkwan

Tkwan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2260 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:38 AM

If you want market balance, then there simply needs to be a good money sink put in the game that is attractive to high levels (and is always available, not every so often).

It would be too hard to distinguish the bots on valk from real players anyway. Giving everyone on valk the option to go through a questionnaire or something of the like just to have access to ymir still wouldn't be good. The botters would simply go through each individual account and complete it whenever they want a fresh bot around for whatever reason.

The god item problem is ridiculous anyway. Whoever said that it would make it impossible for smaller guilds to woe, it is already that way on ymir. There's no way a smaller guild can compete with all those higher guilds and their god items plaguing the server. (The only real fix to this is NOT a god item wipe, it would be to introduce higher tier items obtainable through instanced dungeons)

#25 Nombus

Nombus

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:38 AM

It took awhile but I'm glad to see someone brought up the population decrease. The merge was poorly executed and lead to many people leaving... and still is having ill consequences. Ymir is flooded with God Items and MvP cards, and yes, it has heavy influence upon 3rd class ballance.

In the past God items were the crowning achievement of a guild, now they are common equipment for some. The difference between damage those who have these items and those who do not are huge, and monopolies on these items tend to self perpetuate the problem, as those guilds attract numbers and have a major advantage in WoE. They can control the production on certain god item pieces at that point and force those in possession of other common pieces to sell for lack of use.

MvP wise, certain cards have ridiculous properties, such as GTB. They completely render 2 classes useless as killers in game. They provide too much ease to MvPing, as dispel becomes the only way for an MvP to even be reasonably dangerous to an MS Sura. They're very common on Ymir, and they're extremely problematic.

Edited by Nombus, 29 July 2011 - 07:42 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users