• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 chodeyfoster

chodeyfoster

I am New.

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:47 AM

hey, I'm just coming back to ro after a couple years and planning on making an alchemist. could anyone tell me what would be the best way to build my merchant and then how to proceed after becoming an alchemist? :X

#2 Ceer

Ceer

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • LocationSouth Kafra, Payon

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:21 AM

Most of your alchemists will be vit build for non trans. You can go Str, Vit, Dex, for a vit battle alchemist. You can do Dex, Vit for a fast cast on summoning plant bottles. You can also do Int, Vit for magic attack using a spell sword.

Vit serves the important function of survivability. This translates into being better able to afk level your homunculus, tanking your homunculus and mercenary for solo leveling, and even tanking a party if you have the right equips.

Alchemists are often overlooked as tanks because they will rarely take large amounts of vit as trans, and because Swordy tanks will tend to be able to wear more defensive gear. Alchemist's strengths are the ability to heal extra per potion, via Aid Pot, and plenty of extra carrying capacity via their Pushcart.

I've seen and Alchemist tank do just fine at Nameless with the right gears.

For soloing, I'd do a spear merc for pierce or a sword merc for bowling bash, and whatever you want for your homunculus for trans, go ahead and start training him at this time.

Hope this helps.

#3 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:27 AM

You can solo an alchy without merc scrolls ;-)

On a proper Str/Vit/Dex build with int for SP (more int than you'd get on a normal melee - it's not like you have other pressing needs for points), you can level mobbing aggressively. Whatever homun you get, when leveling by mobbing, it's just there to help pull monsters (for leveling the homun, afk in OD2, really, nothing beats that for homun). That's probably how i'd approach it.

Particularly with a mercenary, you can go to harder places (anubis solo should be possible 8x/9x, though you wouldn't be going only for the anubisis, you'd probably be making just as much of your exp off the other crap monsters there)....

#4 chodeyfoster

chodeyfoster

I am New.

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:40 PM

thanks alot for the advice, but what about like stats for a merch do i focus more on str or vit early on? i dont want to find myself getting stuck and not knowing what to do :rolleyes:

#5 Sera

Sera

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4831 posts
  • Locationthis evil world
  • Server:iRO Chaos

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:03 PM

No, the reason why merch chars are overlooked as tanks is because they don't have spear dynamo or endure imo.

You should focus on strength.

Personally, I 99'd my smith OHKOing high orcs in CTHO with mammonite, ran it through a calc, and it is doable on an alchemist as well. Depends heavily on your gear though.

#6 antikv

antikv

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1285 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 03:11 PM

they also lack recovery power....my agi merchant consumers 500 red pot every half hour....

#7 Sera

Sera

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4831 posts
  • Locationthis evil world
  • Server:iRO Chaos

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:15 PM

HP Recovery means nothing later in the game.

The reason why Swordsman's Improved HP Recovery skill is so amazing is because it doubles the effect of potions, not because of the HP recovery it gives.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users