7 replies to this topic

#1 SilX

SilX

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:18 AM

Throughout my time playing, especially recently I've noticed that a lot of players are lacking in... well many areas. Cohesive partying, leveling locales, how to play their class to the utmost, making money etc... And while I myself am not the be all and end all of information I do know a few tricks, as do many other vets of the game. What I am proposing is an In Game Guild, called "The Academy" or something along those lines, made up of experienced players of all classes that could take newbies and those seeking knowledge under their wing for stuff like live demonstrations of tactics as well as a repository of information. Along with partying and other such fun stuff. Would anyone be interested?

#2 FroBoyX

FroBoyX

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 212 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 13 August 2011 - 03:17 AM

Throughout my time playing, especially recently I've noticed that a lot of players are lacking in... well many areas. Cohesive partying, leveling locales, how to play their class to the utmost, making money etc... And while I myself am not the be all and end all of information I do know a few tricks, as do many other vets of the game. What I am proposing is an In Game Guild, called "The Academy" or something along those lines, made up of experienced players of all classes that could take newbies and those seeking knowledge under their wing for stuff like live demonstrations of tactics as well as a repository of information. Along with partying and other such fun stuff. Would anyone be interested?

This is actually a really interesting idea, but it would take a lot of work and dedicated vets to make work out. Not to mention some administrative over site, our community could use that, as the gap between new players and vets is growing daily and the upper reaches are becoming more inaccessible without assistance. I'd be down for a joint effort on making something like this happen but I'm a Valk Guild Master and I believe you play on the Ymir server. Anyway, I'm going to look into how I can integrate something like this under the Eternal Dao banner, maybe as "The Eternal Academy" or just "Eternal Academy" but at the moment I don't have the people to man such a project and judging by your post and the lack of response from the community, neither do you. If something works out on my end, I'll keep you posted.

#3 MrBudd

MrBudd

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 13 August 2011 - 04:06 AM

It's already something i do in the Valkyrie players guild with new players interacting with vets that temp in the guild(most from valkyrie, my other guild).

Would love to see more of that happening around but there seems to be a shortage of vets that actually know what they're doing and are willing to put in the time and energy to teach a new player. If there's anything I can help with please let me know.

#4 FroBoyX

FroBoyX

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 212 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 13 August 2011 - 04:35 AM

*Grins* Hello there Bud, my dearest Recruitment competition. =P Yeah, I notice the community seems to be lacking in Vets who are willing to help newer players in a supportive way, allowing them to discover what they want to and helping them flourish. Eternal Dao's player population is mostly helping each other through as we learn ourselves, we have a few vets, but post-renewal they are re-learning themselves and I myself have large gaps in my knowledge as a player. I'm not sure that I have specific things we need help with, but perhaps it would be nice to find you in game just to gather ideas for how you do things verses how I do things when you have a moment to.

#5 SilX

SilX

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 06:00 PM

I see you both are looking to implement something like this on Valkyrie. Got any advice or tips?

#6 MrBudd

MrBudd

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2280 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:53 PM

Tips/Advice?? A lot of it depends on what you're trying to achieve. One thing that I do for some of my new/return players is actually give them some sort of quest/challenge in which they can earn gears or small lump sums of money. I mean while I could tell a new player how to blaze through the game the way I do, but showing a player how to power level and make millions of zeny in a short period of time is actually counter intuitive(even though that's exactly what many want). The sense of achievement is greater than the instant gratification many seek in this game and I'm pretty sure a lot of my noobies hate me doing things the way I do. By accelerating a new player into the same state most vets are, you're technically doing them a disservice as they'll just get bored of the game faster and I'd rather not lose a guildie to the real world because he 'beat the game' too easily.

My best advice if you're going to pursue something like this is to foster a community of learning (slowly), slowly feed tidbits of knowledge and run events so it makes it fun. Waiting for Gravity to run events is pointless as they're too busy cannibalizing the game right now.

*Grins* Hello there Bud, my dearest Recruitment competition. =P Yeah, I notice the community seems to be lacking in Vets who are willing to help newer players in a supportive way, allowing them to discover what they want to and helping them flourish. Eternal Dao's player population is mostly helping each other through as we learn ourselves, we have a few vets, but post-renewal they are re-learning themselves and I myself have large gaps in my knowledge as a player. I'm not sure that I have specific things we need help with, but perhaps it would be nice to find you in game just to gather ideas for how you do things verses how I do things when you have a moment to.

Learning stuff yourself alongside others is a great way to play the game. If you want to come find me, I'd be more than happy to help you out. I'm usually around the VPG/Valkyrie guild spot at east prontera.

PS. I have competition?? O__O

Edited by MrBudd, 16 August 2011 - 06:53 PM.

#7 Zinja

Zinja

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2348 posts
  • Server:Classic

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:22 PM

showing a player how to power level and make millions of zeny in a short period of time

:D :) :o :) :bow:
plz plz show me show me!!

#8 MrBudd

MrBudd

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2280 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 03:13 PM

:D :) :o :) :bow:
plz plz show me show me!!

The game is already on easy mode. You shouldn't need it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users