is it illegal to - Page 2 - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

is it illegal to

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#26 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts
  • LocationWaterfall of the Nine Heavens
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:All

Posted 20 August 2011 - 05:35 PM

What I posted was as of a few weeks ago from a conversation with the CM team because I wanted an official stance on the matter. Sometimes people use the term "illegal" and "sanctioned" interchangeably. No it is not illegal (being you get your account suspended), however it is not sanctioned (being they have a policy to protect you in the event of scamming or there is a mechanism in place to prevent such an event). Kinda like buying off of ebay I suppose, you don't always know what you're paying for and you have the potential to be screwed (though they have better policies now for such things). I think they are reluctance to put such a system in because once they do then they would have to have a fixed amount of zeny for each WPE which would impose regulation and players can't charge what they want and it would also kind of advocate the buying of zeny sort of. Its kinda like painting a smiley face on war, its still war no matter how hard you try to disguise it.

I will say this though, we have been told specifically to remove market place topics if they involve or advertise anything to do with WPE exchange without notice.

#27 Hrothmund

Hrothmund

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2168 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 06:32 PM

Selling WPE is against the Terms of Service. Nothing prevents you from gifting a code to a friend and your friend feeling grateful enough to give you some million zeny in exchange though~

Its not against the TOC to sell WPE. Selling items for USD or equivilent (or wow items, or furniture etc) is against TOC though.

WPE is not considered an "outside" system since its integrated into the game(s). Heck I buy WPE in RO to go over and play Rose/requiem occasionally.

The reason its not endorsed is because its not safe. Until there is a safe system (Like EVE onlines PLEX system) its impossible for them to endorse it due to risks of scamming. Its also the reason kafra items are ~50% cheaper per point than WPE, because its safe theres a LOT more vendor/buyers.

#28 GuardianTK

GuardianTK

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9388 posts
  • LocationIn a certain mansion
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:Chaos Renewal + Odin

Posted 20 August 2011 - 08:58 PM

What I posted was as of a few weeks ago from a conversation with the CM team because I wanted an official stance on the matter. Sometimes people use the term "illegal" and "sanctioned" interchangeably. No it is not illegal (being you get your account suspended), however it is not sanctioned (being they have a policy to protect you in the event of scamming or there is a mechanism in place to prevent such an event). Kinda like buying off of ebay I suppose, you don't always know what you're paying for and you have the potential to be screwed (though they have better policies now for such things). I think they are reluctance to put such a system in because once they do then they would have to have a fixed amount of zeny for each WPE which would impose regulation and players can't charge what they want and it would also kind of advocate the buying of zeny sort of. Its kinda like painting a smiley face on war, its still war no matter how hard you try to disguise it.

I will say this though, we have been told specifically to remove market place topics if they involve or advertise anything to do with WPE exchange without notice.

This is pretty much what I was trying to say in my post. xD

#29 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 21 August 2011 - 06:41 AM

Actually, I sent a ticket in asking about it after seeing people advertising it game with chats at the Prontera spawn point. I was concerned about people basically walking into scams and suggested something should be done to discourage it.

The guy who answered the ticket told me those players weren't doing anything they deemed illegal (even with the open advertising of it) and it was only an issue if people were actually getting scammed. They did mention they were trying to figure out a way to regulate it a bit. I was pretty surprised by the answer. But this was a few months ago at least, maybe they've changed their stance on this since then but I somehow doubt it.

In the case of the guys asnwering the tickets, often the left hand and the right hand aren't talking to eachother

#30 Noumi

Noumi

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 06:57 AM

P.S. Just FWI, don't ask to buy/sell/trade or anything related to bartering WPE in the market place on these forums as it will be removed without notice.

That's going to be alot of work for the mods isn't it? Most topics in the market don't blatantly ask to buy or sell WPE codes. They just present a selling/buying list and very subtily say that they are accepting payments or willing to pay in zeny/Ale/WPE.

Edited by Noumi, 21 August 2011 - 06:57 AM.

#31 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 07:37 AM

That's going to be alot of work for the mods isn't it? Most topics in the market don't blatantly ask to buy or sell WPE codes. They just present a selling/buying list and very subtily say that they are accepting payments or willing to pay in zeny/Ale/WPE.

Like I said as long as its not mentioned, if it is then we either ask them not to do that, edit it or just remove. Community helps too, most people report them so its not so bad. Posted Image

#32 Shane

Shane

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 21 August 2011 - 10:48 AM

I wonder if it would be possible for gms to implement some kind of WPE or KP "token" of sorts. Like something that you could purchase with a set amount of WPE, and you would earn a usable, tradable/vendable(?) token that could then be traded to other users for zeny. On use this would award 1000 kp or 1000 WPE to the given account. This would cut out the possibility of there being scams such as been seen a lot with people opening chats, accepting zeny then never sending a code. Something like this would shut down that kind of business completely, while not hurting the income of Gravity at all, in fact it might make users more willing to purchase WPE if they are guaranteed to not be scammed.

I recognize this may be difficult to implement, especially with the possibility of credit card fraud, but I also understand that Gravity has some countermeasures in place to prevent that already (first transaction manually approved, a limit on the amount of transactions in a given time period), but I think that something like this could be beneficial to the users also lowering the support GMs workload by having to deal with WPE scams.

I don't know how feasible this would be from the coding perspective, and I understand that currently the WPE system is tied to the billing system, but if this is possible it is something I would like to see implemented.

#33 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 21 August 2011 - 11:05 AM

I am guessing it would only work with KP since WPE isn't directly related to RO

#34 Shane

Shane

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 21 August 2011 - 11:25 AM

Maybe then add an additional 700 KP "token" to activate +30 days of VIP to an account, so that people can feasibly buy VIP with zeny (through the purchase of a kp token, which is then used to purchase a VIP token, so gravity still gets the same amount of $). Could potentially even have multiple VIP tokens for different durations, each with a different price (corresponding to the current VIP pricing scheme).

Edited by Shane, 21 August 2011 - 11:26 AM.

#35 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 01:21 PM

Whatever the approach, it has to be carefully thought out for sure.

Edited by Inubashiri, 21 August 2011 - 01:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users