Please help T_T **Important!** - Renewal Technical Support / Bug Reporting - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Please help T_T **Important!**

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 sakurawings1

sakurawings1

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1113 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos -> Ymir -> Chaos

Posted 27 August 2010 - 04:17 PM

So when i run RO as administrator it gives me the cannot init d3d OR grf file has problem, i had this b4 and u said to go to RO folder and find Setup.exe? i only find Setup and everything is fine, and when i dun run as administrator i can get into RO easy, but when i run RO or more than 5mnts my comp shuts down :/ only when i play RO though, any suggestions? :lol: please T_T

#2 Br4nd0n

Br4nd0n

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 August 2010 - 03:24 AM

I think that there might be some kind of permission problem that causes it not to run as administrator. But as long as you can play, it's not a big issue.

As for it shutting down after 5 minutes. Sounds like it's overheating. This should really not happen while playing RO unless you have a very bad computer (worse then a 2 year old netbook). Can you list other games that you managed to play successfully?

#3 sakurawings1

sakurawings1

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1113 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:02 AM

I think that there might be some kind of permission problem that causes it not to run as administrator. But as long as you can play, it's not a big issue.

As for it shutting down after 5 minutes. Sounds like it's overheating. This should really not happen while playing RO unless you have a very bad computer (worse then a 2 year old netbook). Can you list other games that you managed to play successfully?

well i used to be able to play RO on this comp like a month ago and it was fine, i could run many things at the same time, but now it just happens when i play RO and the comp isnt even hot =/, also i dont play anymore games just RO =x

#4 jake0619

jake0619

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1019 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:26 AM

ahaha you have a cool sig i like it

#5 sakurawings1

sakurawings1

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1113 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 28 August 2010 - 12:15 PM

ahaha you have a cool sig i like it

Lol thanks but not the point! Lol T_T

#6 Br4nd0n

Br4nd0n

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 August 2010 - 12:32 PM

Does the computer just 'shut down', like one second your playing, the next your monitor's off and there is nothing inbetween?
I don't use Windows often enough to know what would cause this. You can try to do a system restore to a point where you know it worked.

#7 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 28 August 2010 - 12:40 PM

The shutdown sounds like an overheating problem to me as well. If you have a laptop, dust it out with airduster. If you have a desktop, take the cover off and dust off the fans, and make sure all the fans are actually spinning.

Regarding the issue with starting RO in admin mode:

First off - YOU WILL DESTROY YOUR RO INSTALLATION if you continue to sometimes run it as admin, and sometimes not as admin. The incidence of missed patches when doing that is much much higher. Just set it to always run as admin.
In order to fix the problem with the d3d/grf error, you need to run setup as admin as well to change the settings due to UAC virtualization.

Also, Setup and Setup.exe are the same thing, you just have "hide extensions for known file types" checked in your windows folder options (this is an option you shouldn't have checked, because it can keep you from noticing that a malicious file is something other than a safe file type)

Off topic: Your sig is way the hell too big. Please have some respect for the other people on the forum, and remove one of the two sig images. Please refer to the forum rules which specify a maximum size of signature images of 200x600 px - you have an image that's just within that limit plus an even larger image below i.

Edited by DrAzzy, 28 August 2010 - 12:45 PM.

#8 sakurawings1

sakurawings1

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1113 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 28 August 2010 - 03:07 PM

Does the computer just 'shut down', like one second your playing, the next your monitor's off and there is nothing inbetween?
I don't use Windows often enough to know what would cause this. You can try to do a system restore to a point where you know it worked.

it just shuts down lol i have to turn it on again, also no its not over heating :blink: cuz comp isnt even hot when it happens

#9 sakurawings1

sakurawings1

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1113 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 28 August 2010 - 03:11 PM

The shutdown sounds like an overheating problem to me as well. If you have a laptop, dust it out with airduster. If you have a desktop, take the cover off and dust off the fans, and make sure all the fans are actually spinning.

Regarding the issue with starting RO in admin mode:

First off - YOU WILL DESTROY YOUR RO INSTALLATION if you continue to sometimes run it as admin, and sometimes not as admin. The incidence of missed patches when doing that is much much higher. Just set it to always run as admin.
In order to fix the problem with the d3d/grf error, you need to run setup as admin as well to change the settings due to UAC virtualization.

Also, Setup and Setup.exe are the same thing, you just have "hide extensions for known file types" checked in your windows folder options (this is an option you shouldn't have checked, because it can keep you from noticing that a malicious file is something other than a safe file type)

Off topic: Your sig is way the hell too big. Please have some respect for the other people on the forum, and remove one of the two sig images. Please refer to the forum rules which specify a maximum size of signature images of 200x600 px - you have an image that's just within that limit plus an even larger image below i.

first of all its not overheating cuz comp isnt even hot when it happens, second i run it as admin ONCE cuz the GMs told me it might fix my problem thats it

#10 Br4nd0n

Br4nd0n

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 August 2010 - 03:37 PM

I'm assuming you have a reliable way to measure core temperature, and know the temperature rating of your cpu. So we know thats it's not overheating. Maybe check your bios settings (google it for your computer build). Make sure that the cut-off tempurature isn't too low.

I've heard horror stories of Windows, but shutting down like that is strange. If it was a software error, it would probably deep inside the kernal. Try a system restore. That would be the simplest fix if it is software related.

Or if you want to test if your computer really is overheating, try doing something cpu intensive like converting lots of music at the same time. (link untested)

Good luck! :blink:

#11 sakurawings1

sakurawings1

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1113 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 28 August 2010 - 06:49 PM

I'm assuming you have a reliable way to measure core temperature, and know the temperature rating of your cpu. So we know thats it's not overheating. Maybe check your bios settings (google it for your computer build). Make sure that the cut-off tempurature isn't too low.

I've heard horror stories of Windows, but shutting down like that is strange. If it was a software error, it would probably deep inside the kernal. Try a system restore. That would be the simplest fix if it is software related.

Or if you want to test if your computer really is overheating, try doing something cpu intensive like converting lots of music at the same time. (link untested)

Good luck! :blink:

Lol @ at the horror stories, and yeah ima try some of these ideas thanks =3 <3

#12 Ultimate

Ultimate

Ultimate Event Inventor

• Members
  • 2915 posts
  • LocationValhalla Dwarf NPC

Posted 02 September 2010 - 07:32 AM

post dxdiag specs

0 user(s) are reading this topic