Tough questions.....and some rambling. - Class Discussion - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Tough questions.....and some rambling.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Darshe

Darshe

I am New.

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Playing:ROSE Online
  • Server:Draconis

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:40 PM

I'm leaning towards a axe champion or a sword/shield knight as a main.(I've already made separate chars for each to try out the two style of play though neither has reached level 100 yet) For the knight char I'm not 100% sure what i'm going to do with it other than massing as much defense power as possible while securing it's offense either through aspd(With the sword for rapid poking) or using a mace and going for skill damage. I noted the knight has a couple of AoE's but not till late in it's skill tree...and there is no AoE taunt as far as i can see so I'm not sure if I really wanna build a tank............

Side note:I've considered almost every class in the game really, almost all of them look potentially fun to me. Hawkers in general are a close second pick, I was interested in dealers because they get freakin grenade launchers.....but then I heard the launcher sucked. I'm half tempted to try anyway to see if there's a way to make them not suck...but that's on hold at the moment(currently a lvl 65 dealer) and I wondered why no one really seems to play offensive mages....they seem like they should be epically powerful...yet I only see supporters and clerics o.O.

Basically I've got a lot of questions:

1.Is running a aspd/crit build with an axe viable? It seems like it should be since axes have the crit bonus, but I'm a bit worried about accuracy since crits don't ignore dodge in this game. On the other hand so far I've been hitting mobs pretty solidly...and from looking around I see most standard builds aren't too heavy on dodge anyway....so maybe it won't be a problem either way? I'll just whiff hard against hawkers but I figure it should be able to hit most other char types. I'm just not sure if it'll do enough damage to put someone down quickly.

2.Skills don't seem to get much more powerful after the first skill point, maybe it's just because they increase slowly so I don't notice the difference between level 1 and the final level, but it just felt that way to me. I'm also not sure about a few skills and the way they work...I've noticed one or two that are labeled as 'magic attacks' is this in anyway significant to how they work? and if so could someone explain the differences between the 'type' of skills? I notice soul wreck is actually a 'magic spell'....does that mean it behaves differently than other skills in the soldier tree?(Haven't gotten it yet as things that look out of place I tend to avoid putting skill points in especially when they require another seemingly useless skill to obtain.....)

3.Is there any way to speed up skill usage? like a cast delay reduction or something? It seems like some skills are highly ineffecient at dealing damage simply because of overly long animations before dealing their damage or will the raw damage of a skill be so much higher at high levels so that it won't matter?

4. How effective is defense overall? I mean obviously it works in PvE(Couldn't have a tank otherwise) but in PvP is it still effective? Or is this one of those games where attack power outclasses defense so much it's not even worth the effort to build a massive defense power character?

5.Hawkers seem to be built for simply auto attacking(since they have all that bonus aspd which is useless otherwise) so then do their offensive skills just get in the way or are there some that actually are useful?(As it seems that your dps would be much higher if you just slashed away rather than using an attack skill) I was thinking of using duals...but actually looking at their skills it seems duals got screwed over(Built for skill spamming I guess?) compared to katars (Which are obviously just "click to win".)

6.Launchers have to have some purpose....Is it just that their early game is really bad(Due to lack of skills) and maybe they scale up well in the late game? They seem to be oriented for skill spamming....I'm also curious about the various types of ammo they have available and how that affects their power(if at all). More importantly does using different ammo types affect skills or only the normal attack? I'd try it myself but I haven't gotten my hands on any of the special ammo yet. Though it'd be nice to know whether or not I'd be wasting the skill points getting alchemy crafting to be able to make some of my own.

7.What in the world is a 'buff set' I see people refering to it often in threads but as a newb I'm left scratching my head going 'wut'?

8.I noticed carts and castle gears have weapons....But I've never seen anyone actually use one. Can we use them to maim people? And if so....do class passives apply if they're equipped with a weapon similar to your weapon type? Better yet are they even useful as weapons?

9. Is an offensive mage worth it? I mean I'm pretty sure they're glass cannons, but do they get the job done? It would explain alot if they're coming up just short on damage to kill people or something. If I build one I figure it'll be all in for the most power I can possibly cram into it. Yeah it'll proly die in a hit or two but....it's a mage. Mages are supposed to be squishy....and also nuking things from somewhere annoyingly far away.
(I think that's all I wanted to know.......your answers may help me pick my main character class.)

Edited by Darshe, 07 September 2011 - 07:47 PM.

#2 Zjuu

Zjuu

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 561 posts
  • Server:draco / leo

Posted 08 September 2011 - 02:20 AM

I dont think people who know this wont answer all your questions haha, Those people probably had the same type of questions when they just started playing, but did the research themselves :P

Ill hand you one about buffsets since you will find out sooner or later and it will play a major part if your wanna be stronger ingame.

(correct me for my crappy explanation xD )
Its basicly putting on certain gear wich is focused on 1 certain stat and you buff that to benefit from it to the fullest, for example:
You gather all the movespeed gears you can find and put them on, then buff your speed and then switch back to your former gear. This is basicly having a way stronger buff than normal. the downside is that it will take up space to hold these items in your inventory.
With that in mind you can create your unique character holding buffsets for certain buffs to give you character an advantage in the game.
and yes if your gonna rebuff you gotta do the whole gear switching all over again, but you will get used it or find a way to do it quick and easy.

Cheers

#3 Lucis

Lucis

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 326 posts
  • LocationLit Lamp Wick
  • Server:Leonis

Posted 09 September 2011 - 12:50 AM

Reading your post, you seem to be PVP oriented. You will get your answers by being in a couple of Union Wars. :glomp:

"AoE Taunt" is called "Sacrifice" and it's a unique skill book. (find it by killing ghosts / buy off someone in game)

You can learn it starting level 100 (it's for Soldiers) and you can add to it 1 / 10 levels (max LvL 4, level 130) for final skill 100% chance, 20s Duration, 25 second cooldown.

1. I know you can try it out and see for yourself if u like the gameplay. :)

2. Magic Attacks seem to use "int" and "magic def" in the damage equation so depending on who or what you are hitting, the damage may not appear to scale appropriately. Weapon attack skills based on the damage of your weapon, "reliable" skills have more chance to hit.. I think.

3. You can't make animations shorter, but you can change how you use skills so you deal damage better.

4. I can't answer this well as i am not a PVP person.

5. You are right about this stuff. Have you tried to use the skill calculator (at the creations forum)? You can check skill builds in it.

6. Here's a question i can answer. Launcher Bourgs are PvM Farmers! They have stockpile and great AOEs, so yes, they are for spamming. Ammo affects your AP significantly. Check the ammo crate vendors at Junon's UW gate to find some.

7. Adding to what has already been said about buff set, a character is "buffed" for the specific set he is using: Mspeed Set = Dash, AP Set = Clobber + Valkyrie, etc. Note that most buffs disappear when changing weapons, so buff sets usually comprise of accessories, armor, masks and back items.

8. Carts, not good weapons. CG weapons are useable. The driver's stats do not count to the damage or anything about the machines, as I understand. Defense and dodge for the driver is critical for survivability.

9. Mages are nothing when their skills are taken away. They can be muted + stunned.. and, BAM. Respawn. Also, they are not that long ranged, but the damage (once you can dish some out) is obviously top class.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users