• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 chodeyfoster

chodeyfoster

I am New.

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:55 AM

so, i'm making my first character on iro which is an alchemist. i had enough zeny to get one embryo and it came out a lif. i know people usually go for a vanil but will using a lif cripple me? will i still be able to go to the same spots? especially in the later levels like zenorcs

#2 Tiggy2232

Tiggy2232

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:59 AM

Things will go alot slower with a lif trust me. You will be able to go the same places just take you longer to get there. Work on lif loyalty as much as you can so you can evolve it. You need lif final skill for it to be able to do damage that is of really any use.

#3 Sera

Sera

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4831 posts
  • Locationthis evil world
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:iRO Chaos

Posted 28 August 2010 - 01:51 PM

Lif is actually one of the more preferred end-game homunculi imo. It's not terribly useful for leveling, but when you're done leveling, it's useful because it's like a perpetual speed potion.

Most players don't even use their homunculi in WoE, so Lif is kind of nice in that it has function.

#4 DreamerZero

DreamerZero

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • LocationDes Moines

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:20 AM

if you are looking to AFK or semi-AFK with a Lif will cripple you, they have low strength and low flee. Sera is right that the end game is what people want, but the final skill only lasts for 5 minutes then takes the Lifs HP and SP down to nothing.

#5 Credence

Credence

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 444 posts
  • LocationEngland, United Kingdom

Posted 31 August 2010 - 08:16 PM

Is there an AI that makes the lif auto cast MC and other jazz?

#6 thisaintmygameid

thisaintmygameid

I am New.

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 01:58 AM

Supposedly when Renewal comes, a Homunculus can become 1 of 5 different Homunculus S. Supposedly they keep their old skills and learn new ones based on what they became. This allows for 20 different Homunculus combinations. Before choosing a Homunculus, you might want to consider that, along with the Renewal mechanics which affect how certain Homunculus work.

When a Homunculus respawns it gets a new ID. Many things go "wrong" when they get a new ID.

Their Hunger timer is reset, which can be good or bad. It can be good if you don't want to feed your Homunculus but don't want it to run away.It can be bad if you want to raise your Homunculus intimacy (by feeding it). I believe Mr. Doddler mentioned that this was fixed on kRO (renewal).

If my mind serves me right, they lose whatever buffs they had once they respawn. This is most of the times bad, but for Lifs it can be good; you might want your Lif to get rid of the Mental Charge buff. The Mental Charge buff sets the Lif's HP/SP to 1 after the skill ends. By debuffing her, you can prevent her from getting her HP/SP set to 1. Don't know if this bug was fixed on kRO.

Their skill cooldown timer is also reset. I can't see how this can be a bad thing. If your Lif ran out of Mental Charge, just respawn her and then she can use it again (as long as she has 100 sp to cast it). Also don't know if this bug was fixed either.

Mental Charge has a duration of 1/3/5 mins and a cooldown of 10/15/20 minutes respectively. Under normal circumstances, this skill can't be used too often, and poses the risk of getting her killed. If you respawn her within 5 minutes, not only does she keep her HP/SP, but she can cast Mental Charge right away.

I feed my Lif like once every hour (sometimes I lose track of time and don't respawn her within a minute). She has maximum intimacy already, so there is no point on feeding her other than to prevent her from running away.

You can use a fly wing, relog, enter a warp, vaporize it and call it or have a monster kill it and then resurrect it to get a new ID.

In the long run, a Lif becomes cheap to maintain, granted that she has Mental Charge.

The AI allows a Homunculus to only control itself. They can use their own skills but not their owner's. They can log off their owner though. This is the only thing that they could do that can be considered "controling" the owner.

From time to time some players can be found in OD2 AFKing with a Lif. They vaporize the Lif, Call her and then have her use Mental Charge. The cycle begins within 5 minutes. As of now, the AI can't make the player cast skills. They are not AFKing using only the Homunculus AI. The claim of those players is that third-party software is illegal, while third-party hardware is not mentioned? Supposedly they are using a Logitech G15 (or something similar) which is a programmable hardware that allows them to have macros. Those macros would Vaporize, and Call the Lif before the 5 minutes expire.

If this method of AFKing is legal indeed, then you can AFK 24/7 with a Lif that has Mental Charge (assuming she is strong enough as to not lose 20% of her HP), as long as you have enough sp regen and avoid dying. 60 int is more than enough to regen the 60 sp required to respawn the Lif within 1 minute. By respawning her within a minute, she never gets hungry, and she never runs out of HP/SP.

Also, if this method of AFKing is legal, what is stopping anyone from having a third-party software do the same thing? How is it any different? How can a GM prove that someone is using a third-party software (illegal) and not a third-party hardware (legal?)?

Playing with the G15 is not illegal as long as you are actually there. A GM might check if you are a bot, and you are supposed to reply. So if you are going to AFK with a Lif you should babysit her so that you can reply to a GM. Since a GM can't prove that you have a G15 or not, you could use third-party software and claim that you have a G15.

TL;DR:
Before choosing a Homunculus consider renewal.
Lifs are awesome.
Homunculus can control themselves and log off the owner.
Lif A-_- should be banned.
You can AFK with a Lif without getting banned.

Edit:
Scratched/Italicized information based on Sera's post.
Scratched information is wrong.
Italicized information has been added to replace the wrong information.

Edited by thisaintmygameid, 02 September 2010 - 10:54 AM.

#7 Sera

Sera

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4831 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:23 AM

Playing RO with a G15 is not illegal, but if a GM bot-checks you, you must be able to respond or you will be banned as a botter.

#8 thisaintmygameid

thisaintmygameid

I am New.

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:54 AM

I forgot that it is not illegal as long as you are actually there and reply. Basically that's how some players bot; they babysit their bot while doing something else.

Technically you could have third party software to AFK a Lif as long as you babysit her. If a GM asks you, you reply saying you are using a G15 and they won't be able to prove otherwise.

#9 Sera

Sera

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4831 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 02:39 PM

Well, if all you're doing is afking your homun, then it's kind of a victimless crime. Still against the rules, mind you, but not on the same scale as like exploiting the turtle hat was.

In my opinion, it's the same as RCX, correcting stuff (Lif skill) that Gravity won't correct. I mean, there's really no reason to have the drawbacks on MC imo, even if they were removed, I don't think there would be a mass switch of homuns to lif.

#10 Credence

Credence

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 444 posts
  • LocationEngland, United Kingdom

Posted 04 September 2010 - 08:30 AM

So this means that MC can be used even when you afk :p_omg:? Coz I am seeing this chemist with antonio armour and automatically cast MC..... What are the other keyboard[s] that uses this function. I think I wanna own one. Which one[s] is/are the best?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users