Plethora of exp events on iRO - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Plethora of exp events on iRO

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 morphine

morphine

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1123 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:30 PM

Not wanting to clog up the patch notes thread... More than a problem with people constantly asking for exp events like a kid asking for candy at the supermarket, I find it's getting kind of ridiculous how often iRO gives them to us. For a moment, putting aside what people demand every single week, I tried looking up what we were actually given in terms of exp events of this year.

Spoiler

Did I miss any? It's hard to keep track. Don't you think that's a bit much? Why do we have these events SO often? Well... Yeah, I suppose I can venture a guess that it's between a very irate community and an easy band-aid solution to keep them quiet for a week and maybe sell more manuals... It seems like if the users so much as suggest an exp event, it happens. If anything interrupts gameplay for even an hour, that's one way to shut people up about it. If people like anything about the game anywhere on the internet, hey, that's reason for double exp. @_@ They don't even feel like events anymore, as much as a "designated levelling week". There are so many people who just plain don't level when there's not an exp event or awesome turnin going. I understand wanting to appease/reward/compensate, but does it always have to be exp events? It kind of feels that way...

At this point, it seems like iRO might as well just change the exp rates permanently, but in all honesty, I doubt that would change anything. People would still demand 2x exp events and say that levelling is a problem, since an increased rate doesn't really address the more fundamental problems with levelling in the game. There is no need to decide between fast or easy anymore. It doesn't mean grinding on a map with the same skill over and over is more fun, just that there's less of it. If there's a difficult (by Renewal standards) option for a levelling spot that requires more expertise, people, and time in the game to acquire gears and whatnot, the reward isn't proportional to the challenge. Why go to the trouble of Bio3 when Scaraba is so much easier?

I suppose it's much, much easier to simply throw exp events and turnins (which is probably the lesser of the two evils by far, since at least it kind of forces partying where people normally wouldn't) at people rather than rework more or less every monster in the game, but I wish that pushing everyone and their mother to 150 ASAP wasn't the goal. I understand that wanting to appeal to casual players is an important factor, but does that necessarily mean that max level has to be the norm? I wish that iRO could look at changing more things that make a real, serious difference to gameplay, rather than simply trying to make levelling go faster. I wish they could add more content geared to casual players without completely removing any challenge or real, serious goals for more dedicated ones.

I wish that exp events were special again. I wish I could be excited about levelling as much as I could all week instead of them being so common that I can completely ignore one and not feel like I'm missing out... :)

#2 Lexanord

Lexanord

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:58 PM

I wish that exp events were special again. I wish I could be excited about levelling as much as I could all week instead of them being so common that I can completely ignore one and not feel like I'm missing out... :)

Couldn't agree more to this. iRO is losing its lustre and slowly but surely turning into an officially endorsed server with private-server-like features. For an official server to take such a move to appeal to players, its truly saddening.

#3 Mefistofeles

Mefistofeles

Too Legit To Quit

• Members - No Sig
  • 1281 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:19 PM

well...... its a maximun troll coming, the balances are more nerfs, and all those 150 classes will have a huge pain as the mageclass have now!!!!
most nerfed classes: Shadow chaser, Royal guard, Rune knight, Sorcerer, wanderer/maestro
non nerfed classes that still op: genetic/sura

#4 Charon

Charon

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 992 posts
  • LocationSlovenia
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:26 PM

switch sorc an geneticist, I thought.

#5 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:27 PM

srs players will reward themselves by levelling a plethora of characters to be able to mvp efficently, etc etc etc and still come out on top of casuals.

I went from a srs player to a casual and I couldn't be more thankful for the exp events. They always seemed to happen when I couldn't play.

#6 Proto312

Proto312

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:28 PM

Geez, I knew there were a lot but I didn't realize there was an exp event each month! Suppose it can hardly be called an event when it happens THAT often lol. These new comers are spoiled. I remember when they would put in a 2x EXP event and be so excited about it. Now it's just kinda meh...

#7 Mefistofeles

Mefistofeles

Too Legit To Quit

• Members - No Sig
  • 1281 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:40 PM

switch sorc an geneticist, I thought.

genetic deal more damage with acid bomb, crazy weeds, variable cast time reduced for cart canon, the alchemy gloves make him deadly... the homun S make then moreee deadly....
sorcerer changes? more fixed cast times........ and a few gears

#8 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Server:Classic

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:00 PM

Mefist can you please keep on topic? I understand your frustrations with the balances and all that, but please discuss it in the thread about balances and not every other topic. =/

#9 Rutana

Rutana

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1553 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:36 AM

iRO is far from becoming a p-server...
take a look at fRO and you'll be happy to play on iRO, just saying... x_x
I appreciate the amount of exp events btw, as I'm a player without much time that still tries to "catch up". It helps a lot.
As long as it not becomes so fast as other MMO's out there (like Rift, WoW, etc where you simply don't know what to do after your first char hits max lv because every char plays the same... <.<), I'm happy.

#10 ExDarkrb

ExDarkrb

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1234 posts
  • LocationSingapore
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:41 AM

I'm happy with the server. Not happy? Switch servers

May be the GMs are thanking me for saying what's on their mind.

#11 morphine

morphine

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1123 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:57 AM

I'm happy with the server. Not happy? Switch servers

May be the GMs are thanking me for saying what's on their mind.

They want zero feedback on the game and instead prefer customers to leave without a word if there is something happening that they're concerned about? Makes perfect sense. I'm sure that they are thanking you for that.

I'm not against the events themselves, but over 1/4 of the time being on increased exp is a bit much for something that's supposed to be an event. If they feel the players are better off with the increase so often, it might be better to go back to very rare exp events and instead just go all in and change the server rate permanently, assuming that it wouldn't cause kRO's collective head to explode with rage.

@ Rutana: Believe me, from what I hear about fRO, I'm grateful for what we do have. XD

Edited by morphine, 13 September 2011 - 12:59 AM.

#12 Kayoss

Kayoss

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:13 AM

They want zero feedback on the game and instead prefer customers to leave without a word if there is something happening that they're concerned about? Makes perfect sense. I'm sure that they are thanking you for that.

I'm not against the events themselves, but over 1/4 of the time being on increased exp is a bit much for something that's supposed to be an event. If they feel the players are better off with the increase so often, it might be better to go back to very rare exp events and instead just go all in and change the server rate permanently, assuming that it wouldn't cause kRO's collective head to explode with rage.

@ Rutana: Believe me, from what I hear about fRO, I'm grateful for what we do have. XD

I just don't understand you guys that want to make things longer to level. That having to repetitively kill twice as many mobs w/ no skill makes the challenge that much harder. All it does is make things longer and more painful. You can justify the whole "enjoy the ride" thing in some MMOs where there's a legitimate story, other things to do, etc... but in RO, all there really is is grinding mobs. I don't get why you would want to have to do more of that is all. Anyway, like I said before I will play either way, I just don't get your way of thinking.

#13 Ludercrs

Ludercrs

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 70 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:20 AM

+1 to OP for Three Amigos reference.

#14 Clogon

Clogon

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1621 posts
  • Server:Ygg

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:29 AM

@Kayoss:
I think you are misunderstanding the point of his post. Exp events are supposed to be special not to be given out ever 2~4 weeks. We also had the 3x manual events! When was the last time you went to hunt for items you needed for end game leveling or equips instead of grinding? When was the last time you picked up all your loot for zeny because you were desperate for it? When was the last time you went to an unexplored map just to look around and take screenshots of the nice scenery?

#15 Kayoss

Kayoss

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:35 AM

@Kayoss:
I think you are misunderstanding the point of his post. Exp events are supposed to be special not to be given out ever 2~4 weeks. We also had the 3x manual events! When was the last time you went to hunt for items you needed for end game leveling or equips instead of grinding? When was the last time you picked up all your loot for zeny because you were desperate for it? When was the last time you went to an unexplored map just to look around and take screenshots of the nice scenery?

I understand that, but why would you NOT want more exp events is my point. Also, I suppose the answer to your question would be a long time ago(since most of the stuff you need for end game equips is either unattainable solo, or sold via cash shop), I try to pick up all my loot as much as possible because I don't have billions in my bank account, and I've never done that in all the years I've played MMOs (I'm a killer not an explorer if you've ever taken one of those MMO gaming quizzes) :)

Edited by Kayoss, 13 September 2011 - 01:36 AM.

#16 morphine

morphine

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1123 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:50 AM

I understand that, but why would you NOT want more exp events is my point.

A few reasons mainly for me:

- It makes the grind at normal rates seem even slower when players are so used to 1.5 or 2x

- It doesn't really address the reasons why people want to rush past levelling faster in the first place

- There's a constant push for players old and new to max out their characters and get it over with

- I like events to be at least a little bit exciting and meaningful; I like it when you have that nagging in the back of your brain saying "I want to play RO as much as I can this week, 'cause there's that event!"

#17 Kayoss

Kayoss

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 02:12 AM

A few reasons mainly for me:

- It makes the grind at normal rates seem even slower when players are so used to 1.5 or 2x

- It doesn't really address the reasons why people want to rush past levelling faster in the first place

- There's a constant push for players old and new to max out their characters and get it over with

- I like events to be at least a little bit exciting and meaningful; I like it when you have that nagging in the back of your brain saying "I want to play RO as much as I can this week, 'cause there's that event!"

Gotcha gotcha. Well I can understand most of the reasons you've listed. And I suppose I should add that I'm not asking for more 2x exp events, I just don't mind if they happen all the time. I guess that sort of relates to your second reason and the fact that until lvl 150 there's really nothing to do besides grind levels to get to 150. I just want to get there asap lol

#18 Raidius

Raidius

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • Locationmy chair

Posted 13 September 2011 - 02:26 AM

i like the xp events cuz help me to lvl since i cant afford to use bm all the time, also played before renewal and gotta agree lvling is a lot faster now 1-99 (even trans)
many players will find a good thing on these xp event, but since there are so many lately people doesnt want to do a thing while theres no xp event. everyone is getting used to them so bad that many will cry even more for them, to the point that players wont be asking for a event but for a perma rate increase or something.

if the point is to get players to higher lvl so woe is better for some players dont do that much the events, why not just increase the amount of xp monsters give in a 10-15% (1.5x or 2x is askign too much) like some hats are doing atm but without the need of a gear slot.

or if want to make the xp events that common (like one very month lately) make them just a weekend since most of players cant make much on weekdays,i played some mmos before where there was no xp events like a full week (people that study/work can barely play 2 days a week), but all weekends had xp increase by a %.

atm with so many xp events its making players "quit" their lvling till another event happens.

tl.dr if theres a big need of making players get higher in lvl increase xp of mosnters by 10-15% in a perma way, or make weekends with xp increased, wont be the need of so many "events"

can also fix the lvl thing with monsters since everyone 130-150 kills stuff lower lvl than them getting less xp off monsters

after renewal ragnarok got a perma increased xp rate, at least till 120 (the highest i got so far)

Edited by Raidius, 13 September 2011 - 02:28 AM.

#19 IVBela

IVBela

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 02:53 AM

When players get spoiled with nearly constant 2x exp events, that becomes the norm. Then they want even faster. BM, then HE BM, then BMx3, what next? It's never ending... Why not putting in a checkbox to the character creation screen saying "Start at level 150"?

As i see currently players think only those who are 150 can play this game, like it was a must. I wonder if anyone is still enjoying the game, hunting around with friends, chatting, having fun, etcetc. I can relate to the above mentioned visiting nice places and making screenshots thing too.

Saying this as one who was here in 2003 beta times, and got hooked by the game right then. I remember walking to St Capitolia Abbey as a novice (had no idea about the jobchange back then) dying countless times to Mandragoras then being like OMG what a cool place! And meeting cool people, having fun. But now i myself feel spoiled by the grinding, the exp events, the turnins, battle manuals.... They make me grind to level too, it's too hard to resist when you have the opportunity to do. I miss the old times.

Hope you get me, not sure my english is good enough to express what i mean.

#20 MrBudd

MrBudd

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2280 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 03:07 AM

As much as it sucks the grind is half the fun. Gravity needs to pull out cold turkey, let the players b!tch and complain about how sloooooow it is to level off the porings and then give them a measly exp event. Either that it just charge 10k kafra points/wpe for an instant 149/49 and just make people grind off the last level.

#21 Crabtipus

Crabtipus

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 79 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Server:Yggdrasil

Posted 13 September 2011 - 03:25 AM

As much as it sucks the grind is half the fun. Gravity needs to pull out cold turkey, let the players b!tch and complain about how sloooooow it is to level off the porings and then give them a measly exp event. Either that it just charge 10k kafra points/wpe for an instant 149/49 and just make people grind off the last level.

If grinding is literally half the fun for you I'm scared to think of what else you consider fun

#22 IVBela

IVBela

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 03:29 AM

Does anyone know there are quests in the game? I wonder if i'm the only one enjoying those. They should be fixed to give scaled exp reward for example, instead of these 2x exp quickfixes. Just one idea...

#23 MrBudd

MrBudd

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2280 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 03:29 AM

If grinding is literally half the fun for you I'm scared to think of what else you consider fun

The other half is giving people crap for being half assed players that can't even play this game on normal mode. It's FUn with a capital F and U to troll the sh!tloads of under achievers who will never really achieve anything in their lives.

#24 Charon

Charon

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 992 posts
  • LocationSlovenia

Posted 13 September 2011 - 03:56 AM

What bugs me is the fact that all this exp increasing crap stacks.

IMO it should all be only the highest exp increase you got works.

Otherwise it feels like a complete waste of time to get exp the normal way if you could get the same exp you grind a day for in less than an hour with stacking events manuals VIP.

Edited by Charon, 13 September 2011 - 03:56 AM.

#25 mooMOOmoo

mooMOOmoo

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 04:24 AM

Are other official servers (cRO is a yes, twRO?, etc.) on permanent 2x exp rate?

And does kRO have 1x exp for VIP and 0.5x exp for non-VIPs?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users