Plethora of exp events on iRO - Page 3 - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Plethora of exp events on iRO

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#51 Dinosexy

Dinosexy

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:16 AM

But does 2xEXP really hinder that scenario?
Leveling faster lets you explore more of the game faster, and switches up monsters and backdrops at a more frequent rate, rather than spending lengthy amount of times on the one monster and map because it's the most optimal.

Edited by Dinosexy, 13 September 2011 - 08:16 AM.

#52 Lexanord

Lexanord

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:33 AM

The real "fun" begins there. Did you ever play any other MMO? It's all about reaching level cap ASAP and enjoy endgame content.
Grinding is NOT content, grinding is just time sink, I amazed how you can consider that content.

It's like having a 5 millions pages book, but 95% are blank and you have to go throught them 1 by 1.

I do agree with you saying that "Grinding is NOT content", but I do not consider grinding to take up 95% of your enjoyment, or the lack of, of the game. There are a whole lot contents that you could have enjoyed playing through the game while at the same time leveling your characters, instead of grinding to lvl 150 first then you start enjoying the game contents.

There is a reason why there are so many Dungeon Access quest that doesn't requires you to be lvl 150 before you can attempt doing them, they are there to offer players an insight to the marvelous backstory of said dungeon, at the same time rewarding players with EXP for completing them. They were included and implemented so players may have other choices of enjoying this game other than mindlessly grinding to lvl 150 before they are given the chance to do something else other than reaching the sole goal of being lvl 150.

If Ragnarok Online was such a game I would have quit a long time ago, there are many other reasons why players choose to play a game. As an avid fan of RPG genres, I consider the storyline as the most important aspect of the game, I enjoy my games by understanding the backstory and character developments and not so much on beating the game as fast as I could.

Back on topic, the reason why I felt the multitude of EXP events wasn't too good a move on iRO's part was that it is sending and also implanting the wrong message to the players, making one to think that the optimum way of enjoying a game is to get to max level ASAP.

Edited by Lexanord, 13 September 2011 - 08:43 AM.

#53 Tsurugi

Tsurugi

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 251 posts
  • LocationHampton,VA
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:45 AM

If Ragnarok Online was such a game I would have quit a long time ago, there are many other reasons why players choose to play a game. As an avid fan of RPG genres, I consider the storyline as the most important aspect of the game, I enjoy my games by understanding the backstory and character developments and not so much on beating the game as fast as I could.

So RO has a story?

#54 Clogon

Clogon

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1621 posts
  • Server:Ygg

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:47 AM

It does!

#55 Shiroi17

Shiroi17

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 875 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:50 AM

I really disagree with that. The grind shouldn't be just something you have to do to get to the "real" content, especially when RO particularly lacks in that area. Best case scenario, you actually enjoy fighting monsters with your buddies, learning your character and exploring the game. I think wanting to speed through that like it's meaningless takes away a lot from a game like this.

I definately agree with you on those points, the thing is for a new player, within 1 month there's not much left to explore, and you already saw most monsters you could in your level range.

Obviously, the game looks super easy to burn throught from the eyes of someone with nearly unlimited funds for BMx3's and white pots and access to gear a new comer doesn't have.

If you think the game is too easy with all the XP gear and BM's and XP events, why don't you stop using VIP/BM's/XP gear? To cut on the grinding, because it's simply way too long for how much you learn from it. I really find it hypocrite of people complaining that it's too easy to level now but they keep using every means possible to cut on the grinding.

This game could easily be on a permanent x4 XP event and add TONS of endgame content and it would still be good, maybe even better.

@Lexanord

Yeah it was an exageration, grinding is necessary completely removing it destroys the purpose of a MMO. Too much grinding isn't good either.

Edited by Shiroi17, 13 September 2011 - 08:54 AM.

#56 Lexanord

Lexanord

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:56 AM

So RO has a story?

It does or else the thread below wouldn't have existed
Ragnarok Online Lore

#57 CeruleanGamer

CeruleanGamer

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7685 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
  • Server:Yggdrasil, Ymir

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:57 AM

When I'm quitting RO, I wanna tell to the newcomers:

"and you know what guys, it took me a 5 months to get level 150 but I learned to enjoy the game a lot by discovering other things the game has to offer other than putting on my rideword hat, staying in 1 place, and spamming the same skill over and over again. I hope you guys don't spoil yourselves with all these EXP events the GM like to put up." :)

#58 Tsurugi

Tsurugi

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 251 posts
  • LocationHampton,VA

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:59 AM

It does or else the thread below wouldn't have existed
Ragnarok Online Lore

*prepares Tea and Crumpets*

#59 MrBudd

MrBudd

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2280 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:10 AM

*prepares Tea and Crumpets*

The iRO stories are actually quite interesting. It's unfortunate most people just click through it all.

#60 Tsurugi

Tsurugi

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 251 posts
  • LocationHampton,VA

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:22 AM

Well I enjoyed that. To be honest the only quest stories I've enjoyed we're only Rachel Sanctuary and Biolabs (I learned some new stuff about biolabs). But thats not enough for me to be interested in the storyline. Now if there was more things related to the Manwha's story I wouldn't mind questing more often.

#61 MrBudd

MrBudd

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2280 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:02 AM

The topic at hand here is fast paced leveling.

If we're talking RO as it was right after renewal kicked in a year ago, I'd totally agree with you that the 2x exp events are fine. However, putting it in today's context with the -_-loads of EXP hats, X3 BMs (which are VERY game breaking to say the least) and giving people super easy turn ins with the new modified party system, having all these 2x exp events seem a little much since the 2x exp event stacks with the x3s and everything else(I didn't even factor in the novice to hero event that cut the exp requirement in half for those under base 70).

I can tell you as a fact running a non-woe guild for new/returning players, many of which are pretty casual, the 2x exp pretty much lost it's lustre it used to have. It's great for those under base 70-90, but for the rest, the trend now has shifted to "I'll just wait until next week when there's a turn in my level and join an easy mode party".

PS: The guy that posted that this game *DOES* start when you get to the end has obviously been playing the wrong game for a while.

#62 KataiKou

KataiKou

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:05 AM

Yes yes, why don't we all go back to the days of Beta Test where it took you months to get to level 60.

God, some of you are incredibly bitter about everything. How about you take a step back and listen for a sec. This game sucks. This game sucked more pre-renewal. No one wanted to play except a handful of masochistic elitists with tons of free time. I'll reiterate. After renewal, this game still sucks. It's better, but it's still bad. Why? Because it's gameplay still revolves around the worse mechanic of all RPGs, the level grind. No one likes to do it, and I hardly think that its considered a good use of your time.

Here are a few things to consider. Yes, it's easier to level. Why? Because the level tables in pre-renewal were drawn up before there were 2nd classes, with a level cap of 99/50. Now the level cap is base 99+150 (pre-trans + post-trans) and job 10+50+50+10+50+70+50 (novice, 1st job, 2nd job, high novice, 1st-trans, 2nd-trans, 3rd). You can have your war stories about how you prided yourself for trekking across jungle in Vietnam, but that doesn't mean we care. The new exp tables aren't perfect, but at least you don't have to spend 3 months leveling when real game content doesn't even show up until level 70.

The Turn-In quests are a good thing. People are actually partying, meeting people, and making friends. I know a ton of you guys are anti-social mole people by nature, but some of us like meeting strangers. And to be honest, the people I've managed to party with are some of the coolest people I've ever met in any online community. EXP is the perfect incentive to get people together. Don't make us sound pampered just because they added content that's actually enjoyable. To be honest, I would love to see them add party-level TI quests that help people get materials/zeny for their efforts.

As for the 1.5x/2.0x experience events, I enjoy them quite a bit. Spending weeks killing Dark Priests is not fun. I don't care if you deluded yourself into believing it is, but I'd much rather get to the point where I can do stuff like the Endless Tower, MVP hunts, PvP, and WOE. Because very few classes can enjoy all parts of the game properly, there's a need to level up multiple characters. But guess what? Visiting all the same places for the 5th time isn't interesting. I'd rather just move on, get to the point where my skills are actually useful, and find a good party to play with. The sooner to 150/50, the better (sure, you can do a lot of this stuff earlier, but you'll likely get 1-punched to death like a scrub anyway, so the experience is very disappointing).

A few extra notes, however. Those of you who keep begging, stop it. It's annoying, and I honestly hate you for it. Experience/Drop events are gifts, don't take them for granted, and don't start crying like a brat who can't have cookies for breakfast. I think the events are well timed to keep people interested. Some of you might be annoyed by their frequency, but I'm sure you take advantage of it like the rest of us.

#63 Psychogenik

Psychogenik

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 718 posts
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:16 AM

Third Job is a pain to level without VIP and supplies to aoe mobs (even with exp events and TI's)
Not everyone has BMs, Rideword Hats, Ales to super grind to 150.

#64 Tsurugi

Tsurugi

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 251 posts
  • LocationHampton,VA

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:30 AM

Yes yes, why don't we all go back to the days of Beta Test where it took you months to get to level 60.

God, some of you are incredibly bitter about everything. How about you take a step back and listen for a sec. This game sucks. This game sucked more pre-renewal. No one wanted to play except a handful of masochistic elitists with tons of free time. I'll reiterate. After renewal, this game still sucks. It's better, but it's still bad. Why? Because it's gameplay still revolves around the worse mechanic of all RPGs, the level grind. No one likes to do it, and I hardly think that its considered a good use of your time.

Here are a few things to consider. Yes, it's easier to level. Why? Because the level tables in pre-renewal were drawn up before there were 2nd classes, with a level cap of 99/50. Now the level cap is base 99+150 (pre-trans + post-trans) and job 10+50+50+10+50+70+50 (novice, 1st job, 2nd job, high novice, 1st-trans, 2nd-trans, 3rd). You can have your war stories about how you prided yourself for trekking across jungle in Vietnam, but that doesn't mean we care. The new exp tables aren't perfect, but at least you don't have to spend 3 months leveling when real game content doesn't even show up until level 70.

The Turn-In quests are a good thing. People are actually partying, meeting people, and making friends. I know a ton of you guys are anti-social mole people by nature, but some of us like meeting strangers. And to be honest, the people I've managed to party with are some of the coolest people I've ever met in any online community. EXP is the perfect incentive to get people together. Don't make us sound pampered just because they added content that's actually enjoyable. To be honest, I would love to see them add party-level TI quests that help people get materials/zeny for their efforts.

As for the 1.5x/2.0x experience events, I enjoy them quite a bit. Spending weeks killing Dark Priests is not fun. I don't care if you deluded yourself into believing it is, but I'd much rather get to the point where I can do stuff like the Endless Tower, MVP hunts, PvP, and WOE. Because very few classes can enjoy all parts of the game properly, there's a need to level up multiple characters. But guess what? Visiting all the same places for the 5th time isn't interesting. I'd rather just move on, get to the point where my skills are actually useful, and find a good party to play with. The sooner to 150/50, the better (sure, you can do a lot of this stuff earlier, but you'll likely get 1-punched to death like a scrub anyway, so the experience is very disappointing).

A few extra notes, however. Those of you who keep begging, stop it. It's annoying, and I honestly hate you for it. Experience/Drop events are gifts, don't take them for granted, and don't start crying like a brat who can't have cookies for breakfast. I think the events are well timed to keep people interested. Some of you might be annoyed by their frequency, but I'm sure you take advantage of it like the rest of us.

Third Job is a pain to level without VIP and supplies to aoe mobs (even with exp events and TI's)
Not everyone has BMs, Rideword Hats, Ales to super grind to 150.

Edited by Tsurugi, 13 September 2011 - 11:34 AM.

#65 asayuu

asayuu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2762 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 02:45 PM

They should implement Hell Scaraba, and lower the spawn on the normal Scarab.

I mean. The game needs more challenging maps, but maps able to reward everyone. Leveling is boring as hell.

The point is. You can play the whole game solo. In the end, you happen only to blow KP and reach the maximum level solo. Partying should make EASIER to reach max level, not HARDER.

Also. The story in the game is great. It should be encouraged to follow it. The maps with the greatest experience yes. They should require long quests. To get great rewards. And again, discouraging solo play. Like someone said. "Play Legend of Zelda" if you want pure-solo experience.

Of course, I don't see any problem in solo maps [Like Bradium Golems, that has low spawn and strong monsters], but... Not all the game should be able to play solo. This should be changed, but to change this, the mentality of some people also should be changed. Because some people cry because they can't solo anywhere.

#66 Akami

Akami

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1121 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 13 September 2011 - 03:18 PM

I could've sworn there was a 3x in February somewhere. Maybe it was January.

#67 Charisma

Charisma

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:35 PM

I'm really on the fence about this issue. My first 150 was easy (~4 months post renewal), my second 150 was a bit more of a challenge (AB, ~10 months post renewal), and getting my third will be easier than pie. The first was thanks to exp events, 2nd (and eventually 3rd) due to TI events.

What I appreciate about the excessive amount of exp events is that I don't feel the need to play all day. I can play for an hour a day one week, goof off the rest of the time, and then next week, enjoy the exp event and grind my heart out for a couple extra hours. Lather, rinse, repeat as necessary.

The people who want to 150 asap, they will no matter what. Some just may have a harder time. But it is a lot and I miss the days when a 2x came around once a month and I would mentally go down the list of people that I simply must party with... But people are too used to the treatment now... I'm just taking advantage of what we have no whenever I can.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users