About the LUK stat... - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

About the LUK stat...

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 HallucinateBell

HallucinateBell

I am New.

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:11 AM

I was wondering why the LUK stat is only rarely used in builds. Mainly, most builds (for melee classes) have high DEX and/or ATK. The thing is, if you plan on raising ATK or DEX above 51 or ATK and DEX both above 21, it becomes a better choice to raise LUK to at least 9 because of the additional stat gains (CRIT, P. Dodge, FLEE), doesn't it? Note mind you that in this example, there's little difference, but if you plan to go to Lv. 150 (and continue in this manner), this adds up. Weight probably wouldn't be that big of an issue, but I could see someone raising DEX to gain ASPD. Please discuss.

Note: As an example, here are two simulated Sura builds. One Raises STR as much as possible then goes to DEX. The other uses a greedy algorithm (similar to Dijkstra's algorithm) to max out ATK, but gives priority to raising LUK then DEX then STR. Note that neither of these are good builds (in my opinion), but I think they provide a good example of what I'm talking about:
Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edit:
Ack! Sorry for posting here, I meant to post it in GAME Discussion! Could a moderator please move this thread? I'd really appreciate it! Also, sorry for the trouble!

Edited by HallucinateBell, 19 September 2011 - 12:34 AM.

#2 Aeroku

Aeroku

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 303 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:38 AM

skimmed through your post and only reading your title, you're wrong. luk is a very useful stat. especially if you are serious in woe/pvp events.

#3 ItsMoonie

ItsMoonie

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:53 AM

skimmed through your post and only reading your title, you're wrong. luk is a very useful stat. especially if you are serious in woe/pvp events.

And this is why you should actually read posts.

OP isn't saying at all that LUK is a useless stat, but asking why more people don't actually add some LUK in to their build when it can be quite beneficial.

Edited by ItsMoonie, 19 September 2011 - 12:56 AM.

#4 Aeroku

Aeroku

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 01:02 AM

And this is why you should actually read posts.

OP isn't saying at all that LUK is a useless stat, but asking why more people don't actually add some LUK in to their build when it can be quite beneficial.

when you write an essay, the introduction decides whether the whole essay is worth reading or not, and also literally tells the abstract of the content/plot.

on topic, however, its not used much outside of a woe build characters. mostly because vit stat is more than enough in defensive term. in pvp/woe situation, many skills requires the need of luk stat to gain resistance/immunity at.

#5 Daize

Daize

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Server:classic

Posted 19 September 2011 - 01:06 AM

when you write an essay, the introduction decides whether the whole essay is worth reading or not, and also literally tells the abstract of the content/plot.

on topic, however, its not used much outside of a woe build characters. mostly because vit stat is more than enough in defensive term. in pvp/woe situation, many skills requires the need of luk stat to gain resistance/immunity at.

So you're saying it's OPs fault you misunderstood their post?

and yes, luk became a lot more useful for builds other than crit with renewal. At 150, every build based on physical damage should have at least 20 or 30 luk. can't speak for magic damage, but the image you posted says the same.

Edited by Daize, 19 September 2011 - 01:14 AM.

#6 Aeroku

Aeroku

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 01:15 AM

not sure how i misunderstood a post when i already said i skimmed through it ?_?

otherwise would that mean, i could make some misleading thread title like "str is useless.", put some insightful posts inside the thread, and then not getting blamed at when someone misunderstood or something.

but again on topic, the amount of luk you have to get doesn't just depend on whether you're a physical class or not. it also depends on how much str do you have, therefore you maximize stat points efficiency through balance of str and luk. if you have low str, luk wouldn't play so much of a role. but when you have high str, some of the stat points that goes in str may be more useful to put in luk instead

Edited by Aeroku, 19 September 2011 - 01:20 AM.

#7 NoxiousOrchid

NoxiousOrchid

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 755 posts
  • LocationLA, CA
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 19 September 2011 - 01:17 AM

Maybe you shouldn't reply to a post if you don't feel it is worth reading first then. Also this isn't an essay.

Anyway, Most builds should get some luk due to it's increased usefulness since Renewal. I did notice many newer players tend to use outdated pre-renewal guides though which may be the reason some don't add it into their builds. The additional atk/matk as well as the increased resistance is useful for every class.

Edited by NoxiousOrchid, 19 September 2011 - 01:18 AM.

#8 Aeroku

Aeroku

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 01:22 AM

Maybe you shouldn't reply to a post if you don't feel it is worth reading first then. Also this isn't an essay.

i wouldn't post if i have nothing to say that at least has little relationship with the title/post. its not an essay, but otherwise what do you think a title is used for? and i said luk is useful for woe/pvp characters.

Edited by Aeroku, 19 September 2011 - 01:23 AM.

#9 RichestinIRO

RichestinIRO

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:52 AM

maybe what he meant by being wrong is that more people are adding to luk stat now compared to before. but it's actually relative to people whom you know builds in game i.e. if you have more friends/acquaintances that don't put luk, you'll tend to generalize that people don't put points in luk. same goes the other way around. the OP's statements are very helpful though on people planning builds and considering luk. kudos to your thread!

#10 geniewinie

geniewinie

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:35 AM

I agree that luk is an important element in building up; however, it is always left out due to the other stats, skills, and builds that requires more stat-points or for better chances.

examples:
~Double atk and raging 3blow requires less or no luk yet more dex to have a better chance to work. criticalization would lessen the chances of these two skills to work.

~some characters that usually used in woe have more vit instead of luk for survival. gxs tend to either have alot of luk or a lot of dex but usually not both due to the fact that a small portion of luk will only do a small amount of crit and the flee & perfect dodge chances are so minimal that agi will cover better

Note: If you disagree, idc. my ranger is a crit, dex bow type. I do crit alot but for me in order to have a gx like crits, I require cards and garments that gives luk/crit to have 100% critical every each atk - but i hate having high crit because my fear breeze works less & when I need more crit i keep forgetting to switch weapon to cancel FB which misses when the target have a really high flee/dodge/vit.

these are just examples, there should be a lot more reason from each classes.

Edited by geniewinie, 19 September 2011 - 03:37 AM.

#11 Anko

Anko

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 804 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 04:06 AM

I use 77 luk on warlock and ab's to take advantage of Arc Angeling. :D

#12 Venruki

Venruki

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 04:12 AM

My sura has 80 luk and AB 100.

#13 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA
  • Server:Chaos/Renewal

Posted 19 September 2011 - 05:13 AM

I was wondering why the LUK stat is only rarely used in builds.

You are wrong, LUK is commonly suggested for builds due its multifunction nature that comes at a cheaper cost to investing in stats over 105. If you read the iRO Wiki "help me with my build" threads, you'll find LUK commonly suggested. Not just because it adds ATK, HIT, etc., but also because it adds to status immunity, which is good in WoE. Also Perfect dodge is great for mobbing in PVM.

Edited by Jaye, 19 September 2011 - 05:14 AM.

#14 DieNasty

DieNasty

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1395 posts
  • Server:Valk

Posted 19 September 2011 - 05:26 AM

I would choose LUK over STR/DEX any day, but the only problem is I play an RK. As an RK player I need DEX to not miss with Clashing Spiral, IB, and Crush Strike.

#15 Asuki

Asuki

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 05:37 AM

luck is nice for alot of builds, and it gives u resistance to many status like mandragora howl, its just will never be a main stat usually

#16 Hrothmund

Hrothmund

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2168 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 05:46 AM

as mentioned pretty much any build should have a minimum of 20-30 luk, but i think the main reason a lot dont is purely for aesthetic reasons.

I have 77 luk on my RG/GX/AB for arc angeling, I have a decent amount of luk on my sorc and will have on my future lock primarily for perfect dodge and a bit of extra matk.

#17 weaseI

weaseI

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 05:47 AM

examples:
~Double atk and raging 3blow requires less or no luk yet more dex to have a better chance to work. criticalization would lessen the chances of these two skills to work.

Bad example. Those 2 skill have priority before crit.

Sure luk is better post renewal but here is few of the reasons luk is left out
str = each give 0.5% atk from weapon. Some even place for weight capacity.
agi = for aspd and hybrid build. Also resistance to sleep.
vit = almost everyone want the stun immunity. Some skill increased damage directly or indirectly.
int = freeze immune. Some skill increased damage directly or indirectly.
dex = cast time and hit. Some skill increased damage directly or indirectly.

Sometime ppl will just left out luk just because you don't have enough stat.

#18 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA
  • Server:Chaos/Renewal

Posted 19 September 2011 - 06:18 AM

^ as weasel says..

LUK is generally inferior to STR/DEX for boosting damage. In those screenshots above, sure, there is 10 more ATK with the LUK, but the 10 str is +5% off the ATK of a weapon (if its, say, Hurricane Fury, its 5% of 332, which is 16 ATK). In general the STR score is better for boosting damage, as you get added carrying capacity and more damage, and DEX is better for boosting HIT, because it also grants cast speed (generally way more important than the HIT). LUK is good when you're overly invested in STR/DEX (105+ base each) and you still need a lot of ATK/HIT, then you can get both in one swoop with a cost-efficient 30 LUK in place of just 5 more DEX or STR.

as mentioned pretty much any build should have a minimum of 20-30 luk, but i think the main reason a lot dont is purely for aesthetic reasons.

I have 77 luk on my RG/GX/AB for arc angeling, I have a decent amount of luk on my sorc and will have on my future lock primarily for perfect dodge and a bit of extra matk.

Someone who wants to maximize cast speed and damage (example being a genetic) will be hard pressed to include LUK, as INT adds more damage than LUK could hope to, and LUK doesn't affect cast speed. So you're looking at 80-100 STR, 100-120 INT, 100-120 DEX, which leaves little room for LUK or AGI if you max those things out. If a genetic works LUK into their build, its either for potting or status resistance.

Edited by Jaye, 19 September 2011 - 06:22 AM.

#19 CeruleanGamer

CeruleanGamer

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7685 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
  • Server:Yggdrasil, Ymir

Posted 19 September 2011 - 07:19 AM

I use 77 luk on warlock and ab's to take advantage of Arc Angeling. :D

This for me. I use an AB with AA black frame glasses and a lot of parties prefer me over some ABs because I almost never run out of SP.

If you are playing a character that requires only 3 maxed stats like Warlock or AB (INT/DEX/VIT) or a Trapper (DEX, VIT, INT), investing the rest in luck is a really good idea. Otherwise, raising other stats if you are aiming for 4 100+ stats is better.

Edited by CeruleanGamer, 19 September 2011 - 07:20 AM.

#20 Wizard

Wizard

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3957 posts
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:05 AM

It will depend on the class I guess...

#21 Blubba

Blubba

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • LocationCork, Ireland
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:08 AM

I have 99 LUK on my AB, I dont know what you are talking about.

#22 Andini

Andini

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2738 posts
  • LocationNorcal

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:27 AM

conclusion point: anyone worthwhile that takes woe/pvp on any class and even pvm on certain classes seriously will have moderate to high luck. as people have mentoined before, especially those that take advantage of the AA card. this of course will most likely change in light of the balance patch that is coming as well as other stats.

#23 HRdevil

HRdevil

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1165 posts
  • LocationMassachusets
  • Server:IRO Valkyrie

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:33 AM

Don't waste your time explaining these people. I found it very un-interesting aswell and skimmed throught it.

Luk is an underrated stat and any class imo should have at least 30. Aeroku, Weasel & Jaye sums it up. People these days doesn't follow what each stat does and just add stat points according to some (Bad) "Guides" :D

#24 HallucinateBell

HallucinateBell

I am New.

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:19 AM

Thanks for the insightful posts. I was beginning to get worried because it seemed like I was the only person who seriously considered LUK in my builds, as the people I had talked to in-game didn't really use it and neither did the iROwiki builds, so I thought I might have been missing something.

Also, I would like to know what part of my post suggested I didn't like the LUK stat? My first sentence was "I was wondering why the LUK stat is only rarely used in builds," which seems (to me) like it would have suggested that I think LUK is a good stat to invest in. I could see someone misinterpreting the topic title to suggest I was about to defend not using LUK in builds, but I think almost my entire post supports using LUK in builds... That being said, I could have been less ambiguous, so I apologize for any confusion I may have caused and any accompanying stress as a consequence.

#25 Anko

Anko

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 804 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:32 PM

And when you get 77 luk, i find temptation to just get 100 total for pvm if i am levelling at say NI. While holy water cures curse, you get cursed several times a mob which is just plain annoying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users