14 replies to this topic

#1 Vyse

Vyse

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 56 posts
  • LocationTenessee

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:53 AM

Would it be worth losing some points of one skill as a Mage to invest in Increase SP Recovery? I ask because I'm new to Mage classes and when I think of Increase SP Recovery, I think back to Increase HP Recovery for Swordy and how useful that skill is. Is it pretty much the same usefulness for Mage, or is it preferable to skip it?

#2 Tigra

Tigra

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1656 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:09 AM

I think I just put some extra skillpoints I had into it (level 1 or 2 or something), but I didn't level it high. As a wizard, you generally get 99 int anyway, so your SP pool is pretty large and naturally regens. You also usually can't kill fast enough to drain all of your SP anyway (unless you're doing something like WoE with a magic strings bard).

Also, you could get Sohee shoes, which increases SP recovery if you really find it to be a problem.

#3 Vyse

Vyse

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 56 posts
  • LocationTenessee

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:12 AM

So it isn't as helpful as HP Recovery then. I was planning on going blolter sage to get to Scholar ASAP, so I figured asking about the skill before diving head in would be a good idea.

#4 Tigra

Tigra

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1656 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:16 AM

tbh, I don't know as much about bolter scholars as I do wizards. I just sort of assumed you were going wizard. Someone else will probably reply a bit later with a response that is more geared to a scholar. Have you played around with a skill calc?

#5 Vyse

Vyse

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 56 posts
  • LocationTenessee

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:22 AM

A bolter sage is -pretty much- the same as a mage, just with mobbing possibilities. I don't plan on mobbing much though, so pretty much a bulkier mage. It's kind of monotonous, but I hear it'll get you to scholar ASAP.

#6 Tigra

Tigra

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1656 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:24 AM

yeah they're faster than alternative sage builds. I still don't think you'll be draining your SP quickly enough to validate pumping up increase SP recovery.

#7 Prodigy

Prodigy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1340 posts
  • LocationTX
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Transcendence

Posted 31 August 2010 - 01:09 PM

A bolter sage has no reason to drain SP at all, unless you're mobbing with either Energy Coat or Kaite on (which you shouldn't be doing in the first place). With that said, Increased SP Recovery only works when you're standing still (casting spells, using items, etc are okay) for 10 straight seconds (it also works while teleporting around, as long as you don't walk). This means that it won't trigger that often since most of the time, you'll be running around bolting stuff and/or freecasting around. My suggestion would be to either get Safetywall or Thunder Storm (with Ice Titans event coming back this week, you might want to consider getting Thunder Storm, though it is not mandatory).

#8 Vyse

Vyse

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 56 posts
  • LocationTenessee

Posted 31 August 2010 - 01:54 PM

I suppose the increased SP Recovery that comes from SP Recovery items isn't that vital either? I mean, it's useful, but I don't suppose I'll really need it if I should be investing in other skills.

#9 Sera

Sera

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4831 posts
  • Locationthis evil world
  • Server:iRO Chaos

Posted 31 August 2010 - 02:01 PM

Wizard has SP problems, but it is still not cause enough to take the skill.

I'm pretty sure when I was planning out sage builds, there were not enough points to get all the skills in the first place.

SP recovery is nowhere near comparable in usefulness to HP recovery.

Sage doesn't have near the issues of wizard though, unless under the influence of soul linker buffs. Mostly because their skills cost a third as much SP to use and they're not constantly amp'ing.

#10 Chaiso

Chaiso

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 261 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 31 August 2010 - 08:58 PM

Increase SP Recovery is pretty useless for both Sages and Wizards. The only time I have found it useful at all was for a Hindsight Sage.

#11 Sera

Sera

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4831 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:14 PM

Ah, yes, I didn't mean to make it sound like it was useful for wizards.

I mean, Wizards have SP problems if they're doing anything serious, and it's not useful for them.
Sages will have the same intelligence, but their SP usage is about a third as much.

So yeah.

#12 Anko

Anko

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 804 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 09:00 AM

While SP recovery is not useless, if you are going to get significant levels of it then you should probably know exactly why.

Bolting alone tends to not use much sp at all, while at low levels you will run out, once you get to a decent level sp should not be much of a problem.

If you are going to be using alot of firewall, get hit with energy coat on, use kahii, spamming spells with strings then you may wish to look into sp recovery.

In woe i get a few points on hw as i find my sp drains very fast and i can't carry that many blues. And in ET i tend to duo to quite a high level with an hp and not bother using a scholar so it saves time and blues.

#13 Fibrizzo

Fibrizzo

Too Legit To Quit

• Members - No Sig
  • 1068 posts
  • LocationA Coruña/Galicia/Spain
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 05 September 2010 - 09:41 AM

In fact the skill is usefull on high level wizards (high too) because when faster is the cast faster drain your sp; but spend 10 points there is a bad idea. It is better invest on stone curse, or both walls...

I guess a level 3~5 increase SP recovery is the best choice. xD

#14 Sera

Sera

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4831 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 10:18 AM

Most High Wizards won't have the skill points to take it in my opinion.

#15 Zeratul

Zeratul

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 05 September 2010 - 11:53 AM

Most High Wizards won't have the skill points to take it in my opinion.

^This. I'd need another 50 points on my High Wizard to be able to squeeze it in. Too many other skills take priority IMO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users