An idea about stat foods - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

An idea about stat foods

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Kadnya

Kadnya

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3395 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 10 October 2011 - 11:20 AM

As we know, cooking stat foods has never been easy. Cooking foods require you to finish a quest, hunt for ingredients, cook several times to increase your success, have a dedicated build, hunt for cooking books, and then hunt for the cooking kit. And finally, attempt to succeed at cooking. However, after the implementation of kafra +10 stat food boxes for a low price, the demand for cooked foods decreased a lot, while higher level foods turned to be simply not worth to be made, since they are the hardest to make, weight a lot, and last 2/3 the time than kafra foods last. With the implementation of stat buffer on VIP system, there is no reason to use lower level foods.

So, my proposal to change the cooking system is simple:

First, we could change the ingredient list, to make foods easier to make. For example:

Level 1~2 foods, made from only npc ingredients
Level 3~7, made from npc + some easy monster drops (drops with like 90% to 20% chance)
and Level 8~10 foods, are made from several semi-rare drops (drops around 1% to 5% chance)

This would make foods easier to be made, and interest players into trying without seeing food as something rare to use.

Then, the stat bonuses could be made independent from other +stat buffs, like the RWC firecrackers. Each food would give a bonus of Level/2 f certain stat. They wouldn't directly compete with genetic, kafra, or VIP buffs, but the bonus would be moderate enough.

And then, add a new effect to foods by level: Each food recovers certain HP and/or SP. Since many people have pointed out how they feel that using the current potions isn't functional with the new renewal maxHP and player damages, why not make cooked foods the solution, instead of wishing green ales never end? Foods could be made more available to be the new potions. For example foods could recover:

Level 1: about 600 HP
Level 2: 800 HP
Level 3: 2000 HP
Level 4: 3000 HP and 30 SP
Level 5: 4000 HP and 50 SP
Level 6: 5000 HP and 100 SP
Level 7: 6000 HP and 250 SP
Level 8: 7500 HP and 500 SP
Level 9: 10000 HP and 750 SP
Level 10 Food recovers about 15000 HP and 1000 SP

The "But we can't do it without serious kRO reprogramming cooking!" part:

Yes we can! If you wouldn't want to bother kRO with developing this idea, there are some work-around which could be done:

option a ) Implement this "cooking" as an npc who exchanges your ingredient items into the finished potions

option b ) Forget about reworking the item drops, but implement an npc who trades the current cooked foods, for certain amount of the proposed potions (for example, one of the current level 1 cooked foods + zeny being exchanged into 10 of the proposed potions, for example)

We just need to create the new potion items, even if there is no flashy animation while cooking xP...

This is just an unfinished idea, but I feel that it could work.

#2 Roman

Roman

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • Locationunited states
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 10 October 2011 - 12:28 PM

Something I think could help is making the eden buffs themselves independent as well. Don't understand why the npc gives you 6 different buff icons that compete with stat foods. Have the npc give us a buff that functions like bless, which gives the +7 to all six stats.

BTW I support your idea, revamping the cooking system would be great. Not sure about those higher lvl potions...15k hp is a bit much unless there is a huge delay.

Roman

#3 TheUraharaShop

TheUraharaShop

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 962 posts
  • Server:My Dreams + Loki

Posted 10 October 2011 - 12:38 PM

I'd swing more for the separation of what Genetics and cook and what everyone else can as well as level restrictions. This allows for a player not to corner a market. As they progress and level up, they'll gain access to new food creations but on the other hand they'll loose the "urge" to cook the other dishes.

I do like the idea of creating new dishes for affecting stats but balance is what would be Key.

So something along the lines of putting ALL stat foods to use. So setting it up so that only level 99 and lower players can only use the +10 and lower stat food and only the level 100 and higher can use the +11 and higher stat food helps create a stepping stone for players for the early to mid and even late game stages.

However, what should be discussed is how can new game modes of iRO be created. For example, players now a days can only level by killing monsters but if a player were to be able to level by cooking dishes successfully that could create a new dynamic in the game which can pull a new type of players to the game. BUT this way of leveling would take longer to reach the level cap.

^Also redesigning the models and modes for Weapon Forging, Potion Creation and Monster Tame & Loyalty can help guide iRO towards new and in between players.

Spoiler

Edited by TheUraharaShop, 10 October 2011 - 07:05 PM.

#4 asayuu

asayuu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2762 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 01:01 PM

15k HP? Affected by HP regen?

Oh cool, now we will be able to cook Yggdrasil Berries.

Also, stat foods have internal percentual heals on either HP and/or SP, depending of the food. Example: VIT food heals 25% HP each

But yes, the food thingies totally need to be remade to make them decent.

So something along the lines of putting ALL stat foods to use. So setting it up so that only level 99 and lower players can only use the +10 and lower stat food and only the level 100 and higher can use the +11 and higher stat food helps create a stepping stone for players for the early to mid and even late game stages.

No, please. Capping the stat foods will make them useless.

#5 morphine

morphine

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1123 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 01:31 PM

I think I'm one of the few people who still cooks regular foods sometimes... Of course, now it's generally just for fun or to give away to friends rather than being useful for reaching a stat bonus (>_> doesn't even have my name on it though...) It'd be really nice if the required ingredients were updated for sure.

#6 TheUraharaShop

TheUraharaShop

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 962 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 01:33 PM

It's not really a cap, just allowing users and the market to grow once new players can move from non-trans or trans to 3rd tier. How ever, I'm rewriting that so it's a bit more clearer.

#7 Kitten

Kitten

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3077 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 01:38 PM

Cooking used to be something I really enjoyed. I still have a huge collection of cooking items but I admit I never bother to craft them anymore.

This might be a bit unrelated to the original point, but one reason cooking tanked after Renewal is due to the stat bonuses being taken out. Back when attempting to hit a certain amount of stat points was a bigger deal, even the +1 and +2 stat foods had a valid use. It was often just better to use those than to bother with the higher level, more expensive, more difficult to craft ones if all you needed was a tiny boost. The gain you'd see if you'd used the +10 when all you needed for the next bonus was only +6 wouldn't have really been worth the extra cost.

Even if the cooking system was totally revamped (and don't get me wrong, I agree it desperately needs it), it still wouldn't address the fact that the lower level foods are just... Useless now.

#8 Kadnya

Kadnya

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3395 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:04 PM

15k HP from the +10 food might sound too much if it was something spammable like green ales, but if they are not so easy to make, I feel that they would be balanced. In my opinion, the foods as new potions would be something like:

1~5: the new standard potions, you might spam level 1 and 2 potions at a cost similar to how much it costs using mastelas, and level 5 for medium-big damages.
6~7: You might catch a few of these food-potions per woe, average player would have like, maybe 20~ per woe.
8~10: Rare. you might have them as rare as ygg berries.

#9 asayuu

asayuu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2762 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:20 PM

I got it~~~~~

But:

Vitality: Each point of VIT provides the following:
a lot of other things... but the point is the one:
-Effectiveness from healing items +2%

With the 100 VIT everybody have on the game, it means the regen is [at least] tripled.

15k * 3 = 45k.

Some classes would get moar of course~

They would be GREAT MVP drops though. Also. They weigh SO DAMN MUCH. A +10 food weighs 100, while a Yggdrasil Berry weighs 30.

#10 TheUraharaShop

TheUraharaShop

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 962 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:06 PM

OK now it's better said.

It is clearer and allows for the ideas to be bettered discussed.

#11 LeonFlare

LeonFlare

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 955 posts
  • Twitter:https://twitter.com/thenagrarok
  • LocationMOOTXICO!
  • Server:Valkyrie Forever

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:15 PM

after all this, im still like ales, i mean, 2 and you re full

#12 TrueMaster

TrueMaster

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 453 posts
  • LocationFar Northern California
  • Server:Valkyrie->Chaos

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:57 PM

Something I think could help is making the eden buffs themselves independent as well. Don't understand why the npc gives you 6 different buff icons that compete with stat foods. Have the npc give us a buff that functions like bless, which gives the +7 to all six stats.

I Agree, The VIP buffs being independent of food buffs would bring a lot more usefulness to foods.

#13 TheUraharaShop

TheUraharaShop

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 962 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:14 PM

I Agree, The VIP buffs being independent of food buffs would bring a lot more usefulness to foods.

However, there should be more bang for you buck while playing. Just adding stats doesn't make everyone want to play. There has to be other things added to VIP that are unique, make people want to pay and focus more on having fun then just killing monsters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users