#1 IronPlushy

IronPlushy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1747 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Between Servers

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:44 PM

So I'm working on a Battle Priest and have a dozen questions. I have never made a character past first class so bear with me.I really like the idea of a crit build. The stats would be like AGI>Dex=Luk with low vit medium low int and low str.

1. Why a Battle Priest? Why not a battle High Priest? Why not a battle Arch Bishop?

2.How will this character play? Because I'm think always having Gloria on for the luk bonus, which means a crit bonus, and also using KE or assumptio or safety wall (I would like a recommendation of one of these three along with justification) and probably AGI up.

3. What gear is conducive to the character I'm thinking of? If you bring stats past 100 do they still increase derivative stats such as crit rate and aspd?

4.Since in this build my int is low, I think sp recovery and spiritual thrift would be nice. are there gear/cards that increase sp/hp recovery? is magnificat good for my idea?

5. I like having the skills that remove status effects. I imagine a character that strikes fast and hard because of crit rate and agi, should I just use items for status effects, or does this build support a self cleansing character?

6. What about the skills that add holy property and extra damage to my weapon? are those worth it? I'm working with a few self support spells, when do support spells get in the way of fast combat? I mean you got the shield/barrier type spells, the luk spell, sp recovery spell, i think the fewer the better.

7. I will be healing myself alot but I don't enjoy an expensive character. Is healing more appropriate for healing spells or potions? Considering the wide range of self support spells, I need to really consider limiting how many I use.

8.would combining assumptio with high agi make an impossible to hit character?

So the way I see this character is she's fast. She has very good aspd, crits often, avoids hits, has low sp but recovers sp swiftly, takes little actually damage from one or more shield/barrier type spells and heals after combat, preferably through self healing spells. I use gloria always, always have at least one shield/barrier type spell active, and if it is believed appropriate has additional atk through support skills instead of str.

Mainly im concerned about the balances between SP pool and the number of support spells cast. How much combat is achieved between buffing, and my expectations for combat in general.

#2 TheSquishy

TheSquishy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1871 posts
  • LocationHawaii
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:42 AM

I don't usually recommend battle priest to new players but before you consider it seriously,
please read this thread on Battle Priestfrom iRO Wiki.

Read the the first post before you read the most recent post. Then come back, okay?

#3 Zephyrys

Zephyrys

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:42 AM

1. Battle High Priests and Battle Arch-Bishops are merely the Trans-form and Third Class of Battle Priests. When you reach these classes, you'll have yet more options to consider in order to beef up your battle capability even more. Though these days, many people just go Battle Priest and then go Full Support once they've Trans'ed, in an effort to make the early stages go by faster. In the end, it's your call whether or not to continue the Battle/Solo emphasis past transcending.

2. Let's weigh the pros and cons:
+ Able to solo quite easily on pretty much any monster, unlike a Support Priest
+ Has a native heal ability making them less potion-dependent compared to other classes
+ Has on-tap access to buffs other classes do not, which allow you to spread out your stats a bit more than most classes can get away with
+ Heals and Buffs can be useful to other players in a party situation... though you won't be able to carry an entire party yourself
+ Maces allow for one of the highest natural ASPD stats in the game
+ Able to use Adrenaline Rush from a Blacksmith for even more ASPD
- No native area-effect spells means lousy crowd control. If you don't watch it, you can get overwhelmed easily while soloing.
- No skills oriented towards attacking (except against Undead) - something other classes have in abundance
- SP far more limited compared to Full Support builds, especially early on, and Heal power limited due to low INT
- Battle Priests are somewhat less desirable for a party than Full Support Priest
- Constantly buffing yourself in order to remain effective in battle can get annoying at times

3. You're going to want to go with Maces, obviously. Work your way up to a 2-slotted Stunner as a Priest; the stunning ability is handy. If you can, get an elemental set to maximize your damage potential. After transcending, work yourself back up to the Stunner and keep it until later on. From there, you've got a few choices. You may wish to trade your Stunner for a Lunakaligo once you hit its 77 STR requirement for its higher stun rating and bonus to ASPD, plus its all-around cheapness will allow you to attempt to upgrade it many times; if it breaks, it's easily replaced. It has lower base damage than a Stunner, but this is offset by having 3 card slots instead of 2, and again, you'll probably end up with a higher upgrade. Veteran Hammers [2] are also beautiful, beautiful weapons, but are also very, very expensive. If you got serious financial backing, pick one up.

Armor-wise, try to get a Puente Robe for your Priest, helpful in boosting your priest's healing ability a tad and the defense isn't bad either. You can card it with a Roda Frog card to help boost your HP and SP a little, or a Pupa card to put it all into HP. A Sohee card or a Gold Acidus card put into footgear is your friend - it will help with that SP max and regen, of which you'll be needing a lot of to compensate for low INT. If you have a ton of money just lying around after you transcend, go for a Sprint Mail/Shoes/Ring set, which greatly improves casting times and HP/SP max and regen at the cost of some DEF (but really, with your ideal AGI level + Kyrie Eleison, who needs DEF). For Garments, you're going to want something that adds to Flee like a Mocking Muffler or a Falcon Muffler. As far as Headgear and Accessories go, it's pretty much your choice. You may go with a Ygg Crown like many Priests do, or go after one of the expensive Upgraded Zodiac crowns, or anything that boosts INT or STR helps.

4. This goes back to the above: Sohee Cards, Gold Acidus Cards, Blue Acidus Cards (for your headgear), any part of the Sprint set, these all help. Get Spiritual Thrift if you're going Battle High Priest. Increase SP Recovery is... OK, but it only works if you're standing still/resting, so you might not want to go above Level 5 later on when you have more skills to put points into as a High Priest. The Meditatio skill also helps, but has a devilish amount of pre-reqs, and isn't a must-have, so get it based on your need. Magnificat is good - you don't have to max it but 3 levels in it or so is good and helps your party members as well.

5. Considering how cheap Status Recovery items are, how picky the Status Recovery skills are (they only cure a couple of effects each), and how much your skill points will be in demand, I personally would rely on items for status recovery except for when skills like Resurrection require them.

6. Most people will tell you that those skills are a no-brainer for a Battle Priest. For me.... eh. Limited duration and not much benefit make them a hassle. They are, however, pre-reqs for skills you might actually want, and do provide SOME benefit considering you'll be CTRL-clicking most of your battles. Get these as pre-reqs and pump them up if you have dangling points. If you're concerned about these spells eating SP... well, by the time you get them, you likely won't have to worry about the SP cost of buffs too much.

7. Max your Healing skill and use it, no doubt about it. It can be tricky to use in mid battle, but you'll get the hang of it. Carry a few potions around for emergencies when you need a really quick heal and/or are low on SP, but otherwise, your healing skill should be plenty for you.

8. Assumptio does not work well with AGI at all; it is really only good for people who have low AGI and high VIT, as it makes them able to absorb damage better than they already do. It overrides Kyrie Eleison as well, which is better for people with high AGI because misses do not count against KE's protection. I'd skip Assumptio entirely for a Battle High Priest, and maybe go back to it to put points into it as an Arch Bishop to allow you some support options.

Hope that answers your questions a bit. I asked a lot of similar questions in another thread, as I have a Battle High Priest of my own. These answers are based on my experience.

#4 IronPlushy

IronPlushy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1747 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 10:00 AM

I don't usually recommend battle priest to new players but before you consider it seriously,
please read this thread on Battle Priestfrom iRO Wiki.

Read the the first post before you read the most recent post. Then come back, okay?

Where do you think I got the idea for a battle priest?

#5 TheSquishy

TheSquishy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1871 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 19 October 2011 - 01:16 PM

Okay so since I now know you have the basics. There are currently 2 primary types of battle priest floating
around.

Crit/mace
-These sort of priest have high equipped crit buffed with med to high luck and have skills that focus on
maximizing their own damage with demon bane and mace mastery, imposito manus.

Crit/book
-These are a hybrid battler. They use books for the matk bonus which gives them a decent heal. They will generally
sacrifice STR for more INT.

Both types have specific pros and cons, differing stat builds and recommended skill builds and equipment
sets. I gotta go upgrade bucklers, bbl.

NOTE:Plushy what server do you play on? If you play on Ymir we can gather a battle priesr squad so you can
acually see how they play.

#6 IronPlushy

IronPlushy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1747 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 01:21 PM

Okay so since I now know you have the basics. There are currently 2 primary types of battle priest floating
around.

Crit/mace
-These sort of priest have high equipped crit buffed with med to high luck and have skills that focus on
maximizing their own damage with demon bane and mace mastery, imposito manus.

Crit/book
-These are a hybrid battler. They use books for the matk bonus which gives them a decent heal. They will generally
sacrifice STR for more INT.

Both types have specific pros and cons, differing stat builds and recommended skill builds and equipment
sets. I gotta go upgrade bucklers, bbl.

NOTE:Plushy what server do you play on? If you play on Ymir we can gather a battle priesr squad so you can
acually see how they play.

I'm on valkyrie. Where do you get books at in the game?

#7 KataiKou

KataiKou

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 01:36 PM

Books are monster drops only (for some reason). You can find them in player-shops for the most part.

Edited by KataiKou, 19 October 2011 - 01:36 PM.

#8 TheSquishy

TheSquishy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1871 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:56 PM

If you are interested in going the hybrid support route there are 2 books
currently favored by battle priest.

Encyclopedia
Slots: 2
Atk: 100
Matk: 100
Int: +3
Dex: +2
Crit: +20
Effect: +2 CRIT for every 1 point base LUCK

Sage's Diary
Slots: 2
Atk: 100
Matk: 120
Effect: If base STR 50 or higher +5% ASPD
IF base INT 70 or higher +5% Matk

Book users stats tend to look kinda like this:
STR 50-60
AGI 90-100
VIT 50-80
INT 50-90
DEX 60-90
LUCK 30-70

The goal is to be a melee priest but still be able to function as a secondary supporter or primary supporter
in less strenuous situations.

#9 IronPlushy

IronPlushy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1747 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 07:36 PM

I am loving the look of that encyclopedia. How's that 50% against large monsters gonna hurt me?

Edited by IronPlushy, 19 October 2011 - 07:42 PM.

#10 TheSquishy

TheSquishy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1871 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 20 October 2011 - 12:25 PM

Well, you just switch to a mace, if it's large size and really need it dead.
There are a lot of fun maces that priest can equip. You'll have enough STR
as a battle priest to lug around 2 or 3 weapons without going overweight.

#11 IronPlushy

IronPlushy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1747 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 01:35 PM

It's not a STR build its an AGI/Luk/Dex build. Thats why i like the encyclopedia, all about the crits

#12 TheSquishy

TheSquishy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1871 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:45 AM

You can afford to have very low dex on a crit battle priest.
40 will suffice as long as your crit is high enough
Luck in renewal also boost hit anyways.
What else are you using to boost your crits?

#13 IronPlushy

IronPlushy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1747 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:31 AM

You can afford to have very low dex on a crit battle priest.
40 will suffice as long as your crit is high enough
Luck in renewal also boost hit anyways.
What else are you using to boost your crits?

a rosary...lol. I can't afford to buy equipment so I just use eden group gear. I will use gloria for the nice luk boost, and increase agi increases crits by a tertiary degree.
Right now my stats are: LV 68 PRIEST
STR: 20+4 KE 7 (Love it, almost never have to heal)
AGI: 54+2 IN AGI 10 (I don't notice a difference without it)
VIT: 20+2 Mace Mast. 4 (have no idea)
INT: 22+3 SP Re cov. 7 (love it)
DEX: 44+4 Heal 10
LUK: 42+5 Gloria 3 (when it gets to 5 I'll start using it)

And I'll just keep leveling those stats until I rebirth which I'm not looking forward to. I've grinded a lot at that dungeon under orc village. Should I be using Aspersio? How hard is it to find empty bottle drops at a high level? I'm very poor so I don't want to buy them.

#14 TheSquishy

TheSquishy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1871 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 22 October 2011 - 12:21 AM

Aspersio helps a lot.
At higher levels you will need it, especially since there are no holy property books (I don't think...)
Bottles are easy to hunt. I go through an average of 20 holy waters a day using lvl 5 Aspersio.
you can hunt about 100 an hour without trying to hard.

So since you are poor, here's the poor people gear suggestions.

Under shirt and pantie. You'll need the flee and the agi.
You could also pick up some goddess of fortune curse broaches.

#15 Zephyrys

Zephyrys

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 04:02 AM

;_; My extra-long post was completely ignored.

WRT the Empty Bottles... at your level, if you want a way to level up while also getting your bottles, give Juno Field 12 a try, a map filled with Goats and Geographers. The trickiest part is actually getting to the map, as two of the maps on the way are filled with Harpies, who can easily chew you to bits. However, you SHOULD have taken Teleport on as a skill as an Acolyte, and so you should be able to use that to cover most of your ground. If for some odd reason you don't have teleport... Flywings will do in a pinch. You'll actually see Goats on your way to Juno 12, but the harpies around them will make using these maps for hunting Goats less than ideal. :waddle:

The easiest path is, from Juno, go south, then go south again (the road is harpy-infested, so you might want to use teleport), then follow the path east (peaceful map), and then finally south (again, harpies on this map).

Once you're actually THERE, things get easier. Nothing on this map is aggressive (not counting Geographers, which are immobile and melee), so you don't have to worry about things killing you while resting. Your targets are going to be the Goats, who drop Empty Bottles and also a fairly wide variety of herbs, including the coveted Blue Herb. Be careful in engaging them, because other goats on the screen will assist, and nearby Geographers will heal your enemy. At Level 68, as you are now, Goats remain good XP up to Level 80. Plus they'll drop your bottles and your herbs (blue herbs sell for a considerable amount of money on the player market). There's even a place of standing water for you to make Holy Water in. Should serve you well. If you have levels of Warp Portal, you can memo the map and be able to warp straight to it from town so you don't have to fuss with getting there again. Of course, you'd need a Blue Gemstone for that...

Personally, if I were you, I'd be putting far more points into Strength, because you want to hit hard along with hitting frequently to make up for no offensive skills, and leave Dex where you've got it now (it's boosted by Blessing anyway, and not a factor for crits). But that's just me.

Edited by Zephyrys, 22 October 2011 - 12:06 PM.

#16 TheSquishy

TheSquishy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1871 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 22 October 2011 - 11:19 AM

Those places are nice but that's assuming one has the resources to buy an
elemental stunner or keep their weapon endowed. Otherwise the damage and time it takes to kill things
will be dissappointing.

The vote is still out on how much STR a battle priest needs. I've played both. Can't say one is particularly
"better". I've also met priest that play like a hindsight sage with auto-proc gear. Battle priest is built
around what you need. if you feel your damage is too low you boost STR, if you feel you are getting hit too much
you boost AGI, if under 1K heal bugs you, you boost INT or use a book.

I don't particularly want to suggest people to play what I would play, but help them make the best of what
they need from their character.

#17 TheSquishy

TheSquishy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1871 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 22 October 2011 - 11:19 AM

elemental stunner or keep their weapon endowed. Otherwise the damage and time it takes to kill things
will be dissappointing.

The vote is still out on how much STR a battle priest needs. I've played both. Can't say one is particularly
"better". I've also met priest that play like a hindsight sage with auto-proc gear. Battle priest is built
around what you need. if you feel your damage is too low you boost STR, if you feel you are getting hit too much

I don't particularly want to suggest people to play what I would play, but help them make the best of what

#18 IronPlushy

IronPlushy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1747 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 12:03 PM

Aspersio helps a lot.
At higher levels you will need it, especially since there are no holy property books (I don't think...)
Bottles are easy to hunt. I go through an average of 20 holy waters a day using lvl 5 Aspersio.
you can hunt about 100 an hour without trying to hard.

So since you are poor, here's the poor people gear suggestions.

Under shirt and pantie. You'll need the flee and the agi.
You could also pick up some goddess of fortune curse broaches.

where can I find undershirt and panties? And Aspersio doesn't seem to do that much extra damage against the zombie monsters I've been fighting.

#19 Zephyrys

Zephyrys

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 12:13 PM

will be dissappointing.

I hear what you're saying, but when someone starts a thread like this, they are asking for advice, and thus I freely tell him/her what I would be doing. If I was going for something with a crit build, I would favor STR over DEX, because a high crit percent would make DEX irrelevant for a CTRL-clicker. Also, I'm operating under the assumption that the person is poor, and can't afford a lot of the nice things that'll expand options a bit (like buying auto-cast gear and the books that are worthwhile to use). A Battle Priest on a budget can be a difficult thing, so I'd say make every stat point count towards damage.

Edited by Zephyrys, 22 October 2011 - 12:15 PM.

#20 Zephyrys

Zephyrys

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 12:22 PM

where can I find undershirt and panties? And Aspersio doesn't seem to do that much extra damage against the zombie monsters I've been fighting.

Usually they're sold in player merchants for cheap so long as you don't go for the slotted versions. If you can't afford those, Zeroms in Sphinx 2 drop Panties at a 2% rate, and will be manageable at your level. Pasanas in Sphinx 4/5 drop the Undershirt at a 1% rate and also provide decent XP for your level, though here you'll have to be careful about Anubis monsters.

#21 IronPlushy

IronPlushy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1747 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 12:23 PM

;_; My extra-long post was completely ignored.

WRT the Empty Bottles... at your level, if you want a way to level up while also getting your bottles, give Juno Field 12 a try, a map filled with Goats and Geographers. The trickiest part is actually getting to the map, as two of the maps on the way are filled with Harpies, who can easily chew you to bits. However, you SHOULD have taken Teleport on as a skill as an Acolyte, and so you should be able to use that to cover most of your ground. If for some odd reason you don't have teleport... Flywings will do in a pinch. You'll actually see Goats on your way to Juno 12, but the harpies around them will make using these maps for hunting Goats less than ideal. :waddle:

The easiest path is, from Juno, go south, then go south again (the road is harpy-infested, so you might want to use teleport), then follow the path east (peaceful map), and then finally south (again, harpies on this map).

Once you're actually THERE, things get easier. Nothing on this map is aggressive (not counting Geographers, which are immobile and melee), so you don't have to worry about things killing you while resting. Your targets are going to be the Goats, who drop Empty Bottles and also a fairly wide variety of herbs, including the coveted Blue Herb. Be careful in engaging them, because other goats on the screen will assist, and nearby Geographers will heal your enemy. At Level 68, as you are now, Goats remain good XP up to Level 80. Plus they'll drop your bottles and your herbs (blue herbs sell for a considerable amount of money on the player market). There's even a place of standing water for you to make Holy Water in. Should serve you well. If you have levels of Warp Portal, you can memo the map and be able to warp straight to it from town so you don't have to fuss with getting there again. Of course, you'd need a Blue Gemstone for that...

Personally, if I were you, I'd be putting far more points into Strength, because you want to hit hard along with hitting frequently to make up for no offensive skills, and leave Dex where you've got it now (it's boosted by Blessing anyway, and not a factor for crits). But that's just me.

Your post was instrumental in creating my priest. And now that I know where I should be grinding, maybe things will be going a bit easier. I'm level 71 now and shiz is going slow...I'm trying to make a crit build Priest, but I've recently found out that Crit build are gear heavy and I have trouble finding gear, let alone acquiring it. I read crit build are successful and PvP viable, but I'm not sure if I'll ever have the gear for it.
Also, I don't use blessing have only put like 1 point in it as a pre req I believe. My STR is very low, I'm almost all AGI with lower dex and luk, I miss a bit, which I really don't like, and the LUK is really there just for the crits.

#22 Zephyrys

Zephyrys

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 12:30 PM

Your post was instrumental in creating my priest. And now that I know where I should be grinding, maybe things will be going a bit easier. I'm level 71 now and shiz is going slow...I'm trying to make a crit build Priest, but I've recently found out that Crit build are gear heavy and I have trouble finding gear, let alone acquiring it. I read crit build are successful and PvP viable, but I'm not sure if I'll ever have the gear for it.
Also, I don't use blessing have only put like 1 point in it as a pre req I believe. My STR is very low, I'm almost all AGI with lower dex and luk, I miss a bit, which I really don't like, and the LUK is really there just for the crits.

Ah, good. Then. Glad I could help. :waddle:

Blessing at 1? Egh.... A Level 10 Blessing adds 10 points to STR, DEX and INT for five minutes, making it extremely valuable for any Battle Priest, and is also highly sought after in parties. You might be able to get by without it for pre-trans, but I'd really max it as a High Acolyte if I were you.

Edited by Zephyrys, 22 October 2011 - 12:31 PM.

#23 IronPlushy

IronPlushy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1747 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 12:22 AM

So I took a break from my battle priest with a Taekwon Do Girl and now I'm back trying to make my battle priest work. I really want to make this is a Crit BP. I've given it a lot of consideration, and to me the awesome crit damage is worth more than the STR damage.
Here's me now:
Battle Priest Lv. 81 HP 3645 SP 835 (Honestly way too much)

STR 26+5
AGI 69+8
VIT 20+4
INT 22+5 (I'm thinking of keeping it at like 1 after trans, HP get +12 bonus)
DEX 45+4 (I dunno)
LUK 56+8 (I love criting, I crit for like 470 right now, and my aspd is 170)

So now I have even more questions for the RO veterans.

1. I've been reading the BP thread on IROwiki. Why do the crit BP have such low luk? Im thinking like over 100 base luk. When is raising a stat not worth how many status points it consumes?

2. Spike or Encyclopedia? I love the crit bonus that encyclopedia gives, it's insane. But how much would wielding an encyclopedia slow down my aspd? I heard maces were fast. Ideally this build crits frequently with a very high aspd. Also, I read books have STR requirements, are these ACTUAL requirements, or are they recommended requirements and why?

3.I read with ultra high crit you don't really need that much DEX since crits always hit. If I'm dumping mad points in LUK, combined with a slotted Encyclopedia, do I really need DEX considering the aforementioned?

4. I don't really understand calculators, maybe this is common knowledge but what kind of Crit rate can I expect to reach at end game? Is there a way to over do the crit rate?

5.I am poor. Encyclopedias are expensive to me. Spikes are within range but when I hit my stride I definitely want the encyclopedia. Should I buy a spike first and work my way to encyclopedia, or save for pedia? I am making zero monies, even considering I was grinding at harpies. Also considering I don't buy potions.

6. I have concerns about a fundamental source of base damage. Pending an encyclopedia, Mace Mastery is useless, I don't invest a lot in STR. Where is the balance between using skill points for fundamental damage like Imposito Manus, Demons Bane, and Mace Mastery, and using status points for STR?

7. I have zero SP concerns. I think my INT is too high. My SP rarely gets near 700. I buff with Increase AGI, KE, and Gloria. I don't understand why Blessing is any good, let alone increase AGI. It's only 10 stat points, I don't feel it makes a noticeable difference. Gloria is one thing, but Blessing only actually helps me with 10 STR, which seems kinda derp.

8. Shield recommendations. Obtainable shields, thorny buckler is kinda expensive.

9. Making money, do I really need to resort to Kafra Shop? Selling drops to NPCs doesn't cut it.

#24 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:08 PM

I'm going to answer all your questions here, but I just want to throw out there for you that levelling a normal support priest is easier and a lot more socially fun than a BP that is relegated to soloing. (it's also cheaper!)

So I took a break from my battle priest with a Taekwon Do Girl and now I'm back trying to make my battle priest work. I really want to make this is a Crit BP. I've given it a lot of consideration, and to me the awesome crit damage is worth more than the STR damage.
Here's me now:
Battle Priest Lv. 81 HP 3645 SP 835 (Honestly way too much)

STR 26+5
AGI 69+8
VIT 20+4
INT 22+5 (I'm thinking of keeping it at like 1 after trans, HP get +12 bonus)
DEX 45+4 (I dunno)
LUK 56+8 (I love criting, I crit for like 470 right now, and my aspd is 170)

You need str. YOU NEED STR. Your crit damage is something like 1.5* normal damage minus defence. It's not like pre-renewal (when that thread was posted) crits bypassed defence back then. They do not now.
If you're going pure crit, stop your dex. Crits never miss. You don't really need more dex than you have.

So now I have even more questions for the RO veterans.

1. I've been reading the BP thread on IROwiki. Why do the crit BP have such low luk? Im thinking like over 100 base luk. When is raising a stat not worth how many status points it consumes?

over 90 probably. There's a weapon out there called a spike that gives +40 crit. there are cards that give a lot of crit, some vs certain races, some just in general.

http://db.irowiki.or...item-info/1538/
http://db.irowiki.or...item-info/4086/
http://www.roproject...=&Submit=Submit (also this site has a nice working card search it's quite old, so please don't reference it past this)

Gloria also adds + 10 crit.

2. Spike or Encyclopedia? I love the crit bonus that encyclopedia gives, it's insane. But how much would wielding an encyclopedia slow down my aspd? I heard maces were fast. Ideally this build crits frequently with a very high aspd. Also, I read books have STR requirements, are these ACTUAL requirements, or are they recommended requirements and why?

Spike. Spike works with adrenaline rush (scroll or blacksmith skill) which makes it very awesome.

3.I read with ultra high crit you don't really need that much DEX since crits always hit. If I'm dumping mad points in LUK, combined with a slotted Encyclopedia, do I really need DEX considering the aforementioned?

Not really. A little for casting buffs on yourself. Crit helps a tiny bit with atk and aspd but it's not really noticable.

4. I don't really understand calculators, maybe this is common knowledge but what kind of Crit rate can I expect to reach at end game? Is there a way to over do the crit rate?

There are foods, kafra shop items that can bring your crit insanely high. My BP has I think... about 80% crit and I just use an uncarded spike because it's a side character of mine and I don't want to invest in good gear.

5.I am poor. Encyclopedias are expensive to me. Spikes are within range but when I hit my stride I definitely want the encyclopedia. Should I buy a spike first and work my way to encyclopedia, or save for pedia? I am making zero monies, even considering I was grinding at harpies. Also considering I don't buy potions.

You're not going to level or make money without a weapon first. Get a spike. You might even find that you end up wanting to stick with the spike due to Adrenaline rush scrolls and the like later on. If not you can sell it, but don't slow your levelling process down by not getting a decent weapon to start with.

6. I have concerns about a fundamental source of base damage. Pending an encyclopedia, Mace Mastery is useless, I don't invest a lot in STR. Where is the balance between using skill points for fundamental damage like Imposito Manus, Demons Bane, and Mace Mastery, and using status points for STR?

That doesn't make any sense. You do it all. I think you'll find mace mastery will beat out any bonus you get from Encyclopedia if you use a spike.

7. I have zero SP concerns. I think my INT is too high. My SP rarely gets near 700. I buff with Increase AGI, KE, and Gloria. I don't understand why Blessing is any good, let alone increase AGI. It's only 10 stat points, I don't feel it makes a noticeable difference. Gloria is one thing, but Blessing only actually helps me with 10 STR, which seems kinda derp.

All str is good. don't knock it, the slight damage differences add up as you go.
well the 10 int helps you regen between buffing yourself, raises your heal slightly. The dex may help your cast time, aspd and atk. It's also good to use offensively on demon race monsters that hit you too much. (you hold shift and cast bless) - this lowers their hit rate.

8. Shield recommendations. Obtainable shields, thorny buckler is kinda expensive.

You could by those immune shields from the kafra shop. <- best option
If not, don't laugh. I use a guard. Bradium sheilds are good and cheap but trans only.

9. Making money, do I really need to resort to Kafra Shop? Selling drops to NPCs doesn't cut it.

mandragora flower pots, stems, poison spores, blue herbs.... stuff like that. Thats how I make money. Vend those to players. Use ragial.com to determine the vend price.

Oh and just for fun, here's a video of my battle priest for you.

I'm not really using any good buffs or gears. (i.e no adrenaline rush etc)
http://www.youtube.c...u/1/XjhriB5yd28

#25 TheSquishy

TheSquishy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1871 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 26 October 2011 - 05:28 PM

Just gonna highlight a few things.

Spike or Encyclopedia?

Spike comes with a significant defense penalty. Remember the reason to choose book over mace
is having the option to be a light duty supporter.

Shield recommendations

. The ASPD penalty for equipping a shield is huge (-5 I believe). Only wear one if you absolutely can't survive with out one.

Try not to fret too much. Basically right now you are experimenting. It's not to hard to 99 a
non-trans BP. If you don't like playing it you can trans and become an FS or ME.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users