Look behind the Curtain : All about updates - Archives - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * - - - 10 votes

Look behind the Curtain : All about updates

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

#1 Heimdallr

Heimdallr

Too Legit To Quit

• Community Managers
  • 3654 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:20 PM

Many of you are likely looking forward to the various things that are coming down the pipeline, and wonder when are you going to get them.

Well we are getting close to premiering them in testing form, but we have had a few hangups that have pushed back their launch dates.

1. Costume Tab, MVP Gravestone markers, Shopping Catalogue System. This update is what we were testing on Sakray for the past 3 weeks, there was a problem that caused Disconnects when trying to switch maps or return to character server. It is basically a set of errors that are "Showstoppers" until fixed. HQ has been working with us to get it resolved, but this past week Sakray sort of Died and we are in the process of using a Ygg Leaf on it so we can continue testing. This update has only 1 big concern for me and that is the Shopping Catalogue, we want to be sure it is functional and doesn't allow the sort of exploitation the Buy it shop exhibited.
This update is intended to go live in Early November, at least prior to the live launch of 14.1.

2. Skill update patch : this one is the biggy, both popular and infamous this is sure to require a lot of player testing and feedback. Just to be clear on it, the changes may not be made from your feedback immediately, but sensicle feedback that betters the game balance will be given full weight of the iRO staff to get implemented. HQ has told us and all partners that this is stage 1 of the Skill Balancing, with subsequent stages of balancing intended to take place through the first half of 2012. The full Intention is to have the skills balanced so the entire game feels like a fluid growth of your characters and a good balance of powers between the classes. At one point they didn't feel the need for continued balancing but a number of partners with the backing of the players have changed that mindset. We will be one of the first versions to install this update so our voices will be the ones they get first, so lets stake it as an opportunity to shape RO rather than feel it is a bad change.

This update is actually part of the 14.1 update, but we will likely put it in live prior to us installing 14.1 NPCs, maps, etc. We should start Sakray Testing as soon as Sakray lives again. Currently we are getting the kinks worked out on our internal servers to get the update to "run" so we can then make it public to test.

3. 14.1 Bifrost : This is a new Chapter in the Story of Ragnarok, still focused in the New World your task is to track down the elusive Satan Morroc and pursue him deeper into the new World. Of course new areas, weapons and monsters await you in this high level area. Designed for 100+ level game play.

We are going to make the Sakray test go live a week or so after the Skill update starts being tested. Hopefully we have a live launch in time for Thanksgiving. Currently the quests and areas are being worked on internally to make sure they run as expected. Being done in parallel with the above 2.

The next few maintenances may be a bit "weak" as far as new quests and contents as we are putting a lot of time into getting the above 3 implemented and tested. We will still have our weekly turnins and such but we may be a little short on big quests or quest updates.

#2 Andini

Andini

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2738 posts
  • LocationNorcal

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:26 PM

when will we get the update to revert ales back to original status?

#3 CharAznable

CharAznable

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2716 posts
  • LocationWest Pront
  • Server:Renewal

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:31 PM

when does cat island coming? any tests are going on on that?

#4 KataiKou

KataiKou

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:34 PM

Sounds snazy. Of course, the skill balance patch is the one that's gonna make or break the game at the moment. I almost feel like we'll want a separate forum for this (do we have a Sakray subforum? I feel like we should..). If you can offer any bit of guidance to help facilitate useful feedback, please let us know. I just want everyone to have a clear picture of how the game "should" be played, as opposed to chaotic changes based on first impressions.

Edited by KataiKou, 01 November 2011 - 03:35 PM.

#5 Brindizer

Brindizer

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 444 posts
  • LocationDuluth
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:39 PM

Please stop making promises you can't keep. These patches are delayed over and over again with excuses ten-fold.

It feels like I'm reading a thread written by a young college kid writing excuses to his professor on why his project is late.

Edit:

You know how our resident GM team always jokes about hamsters powering the servers? Well, we are the hamsters and they've got this update tethered to the end of the treadmill. We keep running and running trying to get it. It always seems just out of reach. Only a few more weeks until real change.

Edited by Brindizer, 01 November 2011 - 04:40 PM.

#6 KataiKou

KataiKou

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:44 PM

How can you really be so bitter about something like this? More information is better than less information. The alternative is that he won't say anything at all until the minute the stuff is launched. How would that be any better?

Honestly, Heim is just saying "Here's our plan". He could have easily not say anything at all. Does someone kick you in the face every time Heim makes a post or something? There's no need to be so confrontational about something that matters so little.

#7 Majeh

Majeh

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:53 PM

It does when this was promised to us like idk a month ago so that we can test? It's frustrating for people that are waiting for the balances and all we get are we doing this and that. And when the time comes it gets delayed again. It's like rinse and repeat same stff over and over. Other stuff that I would like to mention but list is way to long.

#8 Mefistofeles

Mefistofeles

Too Legit To Quit

• Members - No Sig
  • 1281 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:09 PM

just 1 question......... when?

#9 geniewinie

geniewinie

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:26 PM

what is the exact date the sakray gonna be up again?

#10 Pres

Pres

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1427 posts
  • Server:Yggdrasil

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:03 PM

Please stop making promises you can't keep. These patches are delayed over and over again with excuses ten-fold.

It feels like I'm reading a thread written by a young college kid writing excuses to his professor on why his project is late.

Edit:

You know how our resident GM team always jokes about hamsters powering the servers? Well, we are the hamsters and they've got this update tethered to the end of the treadmill. We keep running and running trying to get it. It always seems just out of reach. Only a few more weeks until real change.

I guess I'll be back in December. I'd rather concentrate on school and I really doubt there will be any significant progress/updates done this month.

#11 Zinja

Zinja

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2348 posts
  • Server:Classic

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:33 PM

@heim
The only thing that most people care about are the turn ins. If you have them properly in place there you can pretty much focus on the need of the further updates rater than any half-assed attempts to cook up some buggy quest.

#12 Maknificent

Maknificent

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:34 PM

Serious question...how many of the GMs / Developers actually play the game and are knowledgeable about the "broken" aspects of the game? Receiving a balance patch is fine & dandy, but are you changing what players really want changed or what you feel like should be changed. If it's the later can you give us a reason why you feel that way? I highly doubt y'all WoE, or even SERIOUSLY take part in the PvM aspects of the game. Do you change things because a minute % of the population come on the official forums and complain? I hope you didn't take any of Haseo's changes into consideration he's bad....

#13 Furinkazan

Furinkazan

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:57 PM

so... are we seeing any of these changes today???

#14 Clogon

Clogon

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1621 posts
  • Server:Ygg

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:51 PM

Guys, it is not their fault that they could not keep their original promise. As been stated multiple times, kRO HQ decided not to give them the balance patch till recently without ever informing them.

#15 Akami

Akami

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1121 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:05 PM

We are going to make the Sakray test go live a week or so after the Skill update starts being tested. Hopefully we have a live launch in time for Thanksgiving.

Merry Christmas

#16 Mefistofeles

Mefistofeles

Too Legit To Quit

• Members - No Sig
  • 1281 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:31 PM

this time i dont know why my last reply got voted down O,O i just asked when are we supposed to have this updates........

#17 Scuba

Scuba

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3225 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:44 PM

ITT: patch notes from 2 weeks ago.

Edited by Scuba, 01 November 2011 - 11:44 PM.

#18 StStephen

StStephen

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 310 posts
  • LocationHayward, California, United States of America

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:22 AM

Don't listen to the people pressuring you to hurry this stuff or complaining about how long it takes. Take AS MUCH time as you need to get it right. The skill patch has TONS of potential for problems, especially in the areas of bug abuse and balence issues. I think its really important to the game right now that it come out as smoothly as possible and that the changes alienate as few people as possible.

#19 Brindizer

Brindizer

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 444 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:28 AM

Don't listen to the people pressuring you to hurry this stuff or complaining about how long it takes. Take AS MUCH time as you need to get it right. The skill patch has TONS of potential for problems, especially in the areas of bug abuse and balence issues. I think its really important to the game right now that it come out as smoothly as possible and that the changes alienate as few people as possible.

Except that the waiting has alienated more people than the changes will. Most that fled Ragnarok did so when Renewal launched, which took a long time anyway.

Also, public testing should be more commonplace. There's no reason you can't allow ridiculously bored individuals work for you.

#20 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts
  • LocationWaterfall of the Nine Heavens
  • Server:All

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:31 AM

Guys, it is not their fault that they could not keep their original promise. As been stated multiple times, kRO HQ decided not to give them the balance patch till recently without ever informing them.

This.

Unfortunately, many don't understand that.

#21 Myzery

Myzery

They pay me to post.

• Banned
  • 6670 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:47 AM

Don't make promises you can't keep then. This game has literally no end game content and people need things to keep them entertained and the GMs need to satisfy that hunger in order to keep the money rolling in.
The player's stomachs are as empty as the GM's promises at the moment. Hopefully their wallets won't follow suit.

Edited by Myzery, 02 November 2011 - 07:48 AM.

#22 Beyond

Beyond

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationThe Cloud
  • Server:Loki -> Ymir -> Chaos

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:24 AM

Can someone point me towards a tread with them actually promising something that didn't go through( seriously, pm me a link if you know) or are players merely taking information from HQ and assuming them to be?

#23 Rutana

Rutana

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1553 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:52 AM

The player's stomachs are as empty as the GM's promises at the moment. Hopefully their wallets won't follow suit.

It's nothing against you, don't get me wrong, but what bugs me most here is this "They don't do anything!" mentality...
I knew how it was and I know how it is on other servers around, with keeping updating, keeping new stuff ingame and keep improving so that players can enjoy the game...
iRO is not the server you should blame about "doing nothing" and makes "promises that won't kept".
iRO does a very good job here and besides the fact that it's always better to clear out as many problems and bugs and errors as possible before bringing something to the servers, there are only a few servers that keep putting that much ingame as iRO does.

Little example?
We got 2 (!) nice Halloween Events this year, where at least one had a nice reward in the end.
Look over to fRO, they recycled the same event as last year and, AGAIN, put that horrible Bloody Prontera from a P-Server with P-Server advertisment (!) back ingame...
THAT's lazy.
Not speaking of all the promises (yes, actual promises!) they gave a year ago and are still not showing anything on improvement on this...
And that's only one example.

For making updates and improvements, people have to learn that you simply CAN'T just snip with your fingers and it's done. And I prefer to wait a bit longer and have it as perfect as possible than getting it early with an awefull amount of bugs and errors and possible abuses that not only would cause rage within the community, but could also make the game entirely unplayable.

Again, this isn't directed at you personally, Myzery, it's just my point of view when I read this amount of complains which are coming up only because something takes longer than expected...

#24 Clogon

Clogon

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1621 posts
  • Server:Ygg

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:06 PM

@Rutana:
A lot of forumers here have not experienced other official RO's. If they did, I am sure they'd see why iRO GM's are so much better than the others.

#25 Raidius

Raidius

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • Locationmy chair

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:15 PM

this is heaven compared to others, and is better to get info before things happens

it sucks when a random day, theres a broadcast that says "there will be a server maintenance in 1 hour to implement skill balance" and no one knew a thing aboutit.

theres a LOT more QQ whine etc, when ppl get a ninja nerf on their class, at least here you know that it will happen (who knows when but it will).

the thing i hope is that whenever it happens, no bugs please or at least the less possible, many players tend to exploit them.

Edited by Raidius, 02 November 2011 - 01:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users