#1 JStoneheart

JStoneheart

Amateur Blogger

• Banned
  • 268 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:39 PM

Ok, well, it's just too simple: it's not like if we were in the dark ages anymore, it's pretty common to find people of the same gender living together, sharing together, playing RO together and even getting married...

this is iRO and I guess we are pretty open minded in this side of the world (American continent) and I don't really think same gender marriages could do any harm to anyone. I don't want to believe that iRO administrators or players are homophobic or something. I guess that if we want to get married to someone who is our same sex, we should be allowed to do it freely.

-_-

#2 DeltaRay

DeltaRay

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1076 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:45 PM

they arent homophobic, the problem is the backlash gravity would suffer from kRO and the parents of the underaged children playing this game,this question has been asked too many times its getting quite irritating.

PS im not homophobic, you just have to look at it from gravitys point of view.

#3 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Server:Classic

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:56 PM

The idea was tossed to kRO before. There was much outrage. It has never been spoken of since.

We might be progressing over here, but it's still not truly accepted in that part of the world. As this is their game, no, it won't be happening anytime in the near future.

HR; You might want to do some more research actually... It wasn't very uncommon for men to have both male and female partners back then, so it seems odd that there would be that kind of hatred, especially in mythology. o_O;

#4 kite24

kite24

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 506 posts
  • LocationEast Prontera
  • Server:Classic

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:58 PM

Was gay marriage legal in norse mythology?

Why is it so important to get married to people with the same gender? -_-

Edit: I actually googled it and gay people were hated in norse mythology so no, you do not posses any rights of being a homo but the second question stands. Not that i'm homophobic just being real -_-

And green ales were popular in norse mythology when?

#5 TheSquishy

TheSquishy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1871 posts
  • LocationHawaii
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:00 AM

Do you not know how many myths Thor ends up drunk in?

#6 IronFist

IronFist

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1547 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand, Beach

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:00 AM

-_- if all the females marry each other then who do i marry?
IM NOT TURNING GAY... -_-

#7 Ali0510

Ali0510

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationAussieLand
  • Server:Renewal

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:11 AM

what if it was a woman in a mans Body =p

#8 Baphi

Baphi

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:15 AM

If all the females would only marry you as a last choice because they would rather marry females but can't, I think you have a bigger problem. And with that in mind chances are turning gay wouldn't help you get anyone!

In other words I think your statistics are a little off.

#9 HRdevil

HRdevil

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1165 posts
  • LocationMassachusets
  • Server:IRO Valkyrie

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:15 AM

HR; You might want to do some more research actually... It wasn't very uncommon for men to have both male and female partners back then, so it seems odd that there would be that kind of hatred, especially in mythology. o_O;

There are side story of people being gay and in norse mythology and it was considered ""unmanly" behavior and thus a threat to a man's reputation as a leader or warrior." LGTB themes but that's what RO is based off.

Gayness could've been common at any time but in secrecy and it was not accepted in majority of the cultures. (I can give examples through pm) Not gonna turn this thread into a religious dispute and why it wasn't a fairy tale for gay ppl. I still don't see the point of why is there a need to marry someone of the same gender in-game. Love? /facepalm Just make a female character or just marry irl -_-

#10 Pres

Pres

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1427 posts
  • Server:Yggdrasil

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:16 AM

Have you used the search function? You should

#11 Recette

Recette

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:18 AM

What about girl/girl marriage? I'm sure even Korea would find that awesome.

#12 IronFist

IronFist

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1547 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand, Beach

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:23 AM

If all the females would only marry you as a last choice because they would rather marry females but can't, I think you have a bigger problem. And with that in mind chances are turning gay wouldn't help you get anyone!

In other words I think your statistics are a little off.

sorry if i have standards...
screw it if they can marry each other, then ill marry myself (miss palma and her 5 daughters)

dono how ill make a baby yet -_- :angel: -_- :angel: (testtube it?)

Edited by IronFist, 02 November 2011 - 12:25 AM.

#13 Kuwano

Kuwano

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:07 AM

I "like" how everyone who's sticking to normal or simply is Christian being labeled as homophobic which making it sound like it's a normal person have the mental/genetic problem instead. Can't blame people for wanting their kids to be straight and having grandchildren. Personally I'm staying tolerant towards gays as long as they're not walking around and going overboard with demonstrating their affection to each other or even flirting with random straight people (and, unfortunately, they are doing it lot).

Edited by Kuwano, 02 November 2011 - 01:08 AM.

#14 lrresponsible

lrresponsible

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:12 AM

There's always masturbation. :angel:

@ Kuwano:

I find it funny how most of the time, when straight people are doing the same things, most people don't have an issue with it. Yet when we do these things, we're flaunting our sexuality. Double standards are funny like that.

Edited by lrresponsible, 02 November 2011 - 01:15 AM.

#15 Ali0510

Ali0510

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationAussieLand
  • Server:Renewal

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:13 AM

I "like" how everyone who's sticking to normal or simply is Christian being labeled as homophobic which making it sound like it's a normal person have the mental/genetic problem instead. Can't blame people for wanting their kids to be straight and having grandchildren. Personally I'm staying tolerant towards gays as long as they're not walking around and going overboard with demonstrating their affection to each other or even flirting with random straight people (and, unfortunately, they are doing it lot).

I'm Straight and I flit with people who prefer the same Gender ( Both Male and Female, but thats cause we're mates ), Its not just those people that do It. people have their own beliefs and shouldn't be Judged for it. To me its more of a case they leave me Alone if I leave them Alone. I don't have an Issue this topic will have no affect on me being a parent if my child did turn out to be gay they'd have my support 100% I'd love grandchildren but thats not going to be a though for at least 20+ years Hopefully....

#16 Kuwano

Kuwano

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:34 AM

I find it funny how most of the time, when straight people are doing the same things, most people don't have an issue with it. Yet when we do these things, we're flaunting our sexuality. Double standards are funny like that.

Maybe because they are still majority and things that are natural to majority don't appear gross to them?

people have their own beliefs and shouldn't be Judged for it

Yeah, that is my point. And straight people shouldn't be judged for their beliefs as well as gays. Sorry, didn't even want to post anything in this topic, but just got sick that those who don't approve such stuff (having their own beliefs) or even are completely neutral to it being called homophobic or even worse. Something is not right with it.

#17 Tsurugi

Tsurugi

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 251 posts
  • LocationHampton,VA
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:53 AM

No. Thank you.

#18 Kadnya

Kadnya

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3395 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 05:21 AM

I wouldn't like to turn this into a moral discussion, but just pointing out that there have been several studies which suggest that homosexuality has genetic/biologic components. So kinda, being-_- is normal fr-_- people, just as being heterosexual is the normal for heterosexual people. You can't ask a fish to breath outside the water because ideas of morality suggests you that because for cats it is normal to breath outside water, fish are abnormal.

I am a Christian too, and and nupe, Christian people aren't labeled as homophobic/intolerant people by default. Believing in religion who shows us to love the people and world around us, I find it wrong to randomly hate on certain people and justify it with 'morality'. For me, it's just as wrong as being racist, sexist, or any other form of discrimination.

Yeah, that is my point. And straight people shouldn't be judged for their beliefs as well as gays.

Being judged for beliefs which directly harm other people isn't strange. I'm sure that if I went outside of my house yowling that men are evil and whipping random men in the street, I wouldn't be forgiven for saying 'it's my belief and you should respect it'.

Aaaaand, back ontopic ^^;

I still don't see the point of why is there a need to marry someone of the same gender in-game. Love? /facepalm Just make a female character or just marry irl -_-

Would you see a point if I tell you that I have three female VIP accounts which I mainly play but if I'd like to marry for a linker or other benefits I must marry my bard account which only has a bard which I rarely play? Spending extra KP instead of marring just because... making a chara who looks like an ugly man on pajama which won't have VIP buffs nor warps just because... being limited to only three marriages just because... on an account I wouldn't like playing just because...

Same sex marriage in game shouldn't have any silly moral dilemma attached. I mean, is not like there is an outrage for having a sex change option in account, and having people think like, no! that character was born under that sex. It's so wrong! =p...

#19 CeruleanGamer

CeruleanGamer

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7685 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
  • Server:Yggdrasil, Ymir

Posted 02 November 2011 - 05:21 AM

Not this again...

#20 DragonlordHavoc

DragonlordHavoc

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • LocationMckinney,texas

Posted 02 November 2011 - 05:35 AM

Just thought I should chime in here why I dont care if we have same sex marriage or not. The Norse did kill those who where gay, they like many army's and warriors during the day had what was know as shield bearer which also was their male sex partner when in camped waiting battle so their is real world facts for this. So if their argument is that the Norse did not allow gays, their are wrong it was acceptable during war times when warrior / soldiers are way for half year or more.

#21 StStephen

StStephen

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 310 posts
  • LocationHayward, California, United States of America

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:27 AM

All politics aside it sucks that two male players can't marry each other without one of them having to play a shim account. Changing account gender should be allowed once for free after you've joined since new players probably don't realize all the ramifications of this choice that they have to make before they know anything about the game.

The alternative is don't call it a marriage, make it something else and let everybody do it. You bypass the politics and morality here. But..... this is all a moot point since I don't think they have any power to do a thing about this at the local iRO level.

#22 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:36 AM

I think it would be a bit of a reach to draw too many connections between this game's universe and storyline and actual Norse Mythology, much less to let that inform marriage policy. This isn't even a game where you are forced to play your own gender and gender reassignment is a daily task for the GM Team, so the nature of gender itself is extremely malleable here. I personally don't have a problem with it, and doubt that there is still in 2011 the potential for significant outcry from anyone (hell, free publicity for RO? Yes please.) about who a sprite in the game can marry.

Right now, it's more that there are so many things we need to get addressed first from kRO that same gender marriage/best friends or somesuch system would be nice to have in the future but we have things to get done first.

#23 Anko

Anko

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 804 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:43 AM

If that is all that is keeping you straight is the availability of females then you're not as straight as you think... :angel:

Maybe because they are still majority and things that are natural to majority don't appear gross to them?

Likes and dislikes should not necessarily form the basis for rule making.

If we apply your argument that interracial relationships are a minority in a certain place, wouldn't that appear un-natural and gross too?

-----------

Seriously the opinions in this thread is why gay marriage is not allowed in this game. Younger people tend to be more liberal and many of those touting their support for equality, expose their very intolerance in the same post.

The simple way is to just gender change an account or change the system/add in a best friend system so characters of the same gender can get the same benefits of marriage. Sounds too much like real life politics... lol

#24 Myzery

Myzery

They pay me to post.

• Banned
  • 6670 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:46 AM

It's the exact same thing as guy on guy. If you think one is acceptable and the other isn't, you're just being prejudice.
You should be accepting of people for who they are and not judge them on what personally turns you off//on sexually.

It doesn't bother me either way. People are just afraid of anything that's different and judge others because they're afraid of being judged themselves.

I'm Christian and I personally believe that God loves everyone. He doesn't force anyone to worship him and lets people decide things for themselves.

#25 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts
  • LocationWaterfall of the Nine Heavens
  • Server:All

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:10 AM

In fact its the opposite

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users