Useful Links & Software - by Calanor - 3D Creations - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Useful Links & Software - by Calanor

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 fear

fear

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • LocationHere There and Everywhere
  • Playing:ROSE Online
  • Server:Draconis

Posted 24 July 2010 - 03:47 AM

In this thread you will find links to some of the tools that can be useful if your working on a tight budget. Many business end tools for design and modeling can be pretty costly to manage on an Independent budget. If you know of another tool that I haven't listed here that would be beneficial and useful then please PM me the link so I can add it to the list.

Photo Editing

Gimp - http://www.gimp.org/
GIMP is the GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is a freely distributed piece of software for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring. It works on many operating systems, in many languages.

pixlr - http://www.pixlr.com/
Online image editing and creation software.

Inkscape - http://www.inkscape.org/
An Open Source vector graphics editor

3D Modeling

Sketchup - http://sketchup.google.com/

Blender - http://www.blender.org/
Blender is the free open source 3D content creation suite, available for all major operating systems under the GNU General Public License

Wings3d - http://www.wings3d.com/

Model Kits - ROSE OBJ Models
These are base structure models to use as a basis for creation of Armors, Gloves, Boots, Hair, Hats, Back Items, Sub Items, Weapons. These will help you scale your models when making submissions.

#2 Blaze

Blaze

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 53 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 25 July 2010 - 01:38 AM

wow this is a great list, youve got everything i knew here already, if i come across anything else ill be sure to throw it down

#3 Juush

Juush

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1843 posts
  • LocationRozen, Ethergia
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:bdubs

Posted 25 July 2010 - 02:30 AM

Blender S: There's a fun program! :] Hard to understand sorta though. =/

#4 YukiChan

YukiChan

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 199 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online 2
  • Server:Borderlands PSQ

Posted 25 July 2010 - 03:12 AM

Sculptris: (it's like ZBrush or Mudbox but free)
http://www.sculptris.com/

===================================================

Softimage MOD Tool

Autodesk® Softimage® Mod Tool software (formerly XSI Mod Tool) is a free* 3D modeling and animation package for creating noncommercial games and "modding" (modifying games). Autodesk® Softimage® Mod Tool 7.5 is based on the same professional toolset found in Autodesk® Softimage® 7.5 software, used by game developers to create 3D characters, levels, props, and animation.

Free for Noncommercial Game Creation and Modding

• Free to download
  • For aspiring game artistsâ??Aspiring game artists can get started with professional tools to help create 3D characters, props, levels, and animation for games.
  • Training from Noesis Interactiveâ??Training covers the creation of a character in Softimage Mod Tool 7.5 and exporting it for use with Microsoft® XNA.
  • For game developersâ??Extend the life of a game by helping to build a community of â??modders.â? Game â??modsâ? can go on to become commercial games and can identify talent for recruiting purposes.
Make Games with Microsoft XNA
Autodesk Softimage Mod Tool 7.5 exports to the Microsoft® XNA® 3.0 framework, giving community and independent game developers easy access to a professional toolset to help create games for the Windows® operating system and Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system.

Export to Other Engines, FBX, COLLADA
Add-ons are available that enable export to Crytek CryENGINE® 2, Valve® Source� engines, and Epic Unreal Engine 3. Softimage Mod Tool 7.5 also exports Autodesk® FBX® software and COLLADA files for engines that support it.

Commercial Version for Microsoft XNA Creator's Club Premium Members
Softimage Mod Tool 7.5 Pro is a version of Softimage Mod Tool with a commercial end-user license agreement specifically for XNA Creatorâ??s Club Premium members. This allows XNA Creatorâ??s Club Premium members to produce commercial games for Microsoft® Xbox LIVE® online service of community games.

download link:

http://usa.autodesk....112&id=13571257

==========================================================================================

and for those who like to play with rendering:

get a demo of Octane Renderer (GPU renderer, works on NVIDIA 8800 OR BETTER, doesn't work on ATI cards)
btw it is ultra cheap so I recommend buying it (less than 100$ - I got mine when it was 40$ or so few months ago)
developers are cool hard working guys and they are really working hard on adding new features

it can open OBJ files and if you have a full version there are export plugins available (to render animations)

unfortunately (as other unbiased renderers) it is not able to bake textures

http://www.refractivesoftware.com

#5 YukiChan

YukiChan

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 03:17 AM

as for base models I will post them after I get some aprovals from officials

(male and female characters, cart and maybe CG)

for any content creation questions or help feel free to add me on WP messenger

#6 Rockyonfire

Rockyonfire

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 02:13 PM

- Photoshop, Image ready, 3D MAX

#7 Cleffy

Cleffy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2377 posts
  • Playing:Requiem

Posted 25 July 2010 - 04:36 PM

I've worked with Maya, 3D Studio Max, and Blender. IMO once you get adjusted to Blender it is the better program for game development. The other 2 are too heavily geared towards cinematics while the Blender uses a built in Game Engine. They also do some little things that are helpful for games. Models on export are clean with Blender, in the UV Editor the spacing on the grid is based on powers of 2 instead of metric, and map types can be directed to use game shader code so it will look like it does in game.

Also I have used ZBrush and MudBox, but the better software here is 3D Coat. It uses Voxels and gets some amazing depth. Unlike ZBrush its interface also is not confusing.

#8 Forecast

Forecast

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 67 posts
  • LocationEverywhere
  • Server:Leonis

Posted 25 July 2010 - 05:50 PM

Does anyone have and links to any non-confusing guides for these kinds of things? I'd like to Pick up 3-D modeling; however, as of now... I don't really trust google :[

#9 YukiChan

YukiChan

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 06:06 PM

well... google / youtube are good for start

unless you want to cash in some $ then go for Digital Tutors or Gnomon stuff

they have lots of great tutorials starting from general tutorials covering all stuff inside almost every major 3d application to specific stuff like modeling cars, humans, furniture, rendering, lighting, animating, modeling for games etc etc

when you use google to search for stuff check link description and link itself as there are lots of websites who use some kind of bots or something that will show "cracked xxxxxx, free dvd xxxxxx, torrent xxxxxx" etc even if you put your own name lol
but those are easily recognizable (after few wrong clicks lol)

for free video tutorials - youtube is your best choice, or maybe vimeo...

as for my favorite apps - XSI (Softimage) - it has few amazing life / time saver tools - GATOR, MOTOR, ULTIMAPPER and way too many other good things

#10 Feuer

Feuer

They pay me to post

• Members
  • 10958 posts
  • Twitter:@LovatianOwl
  • LocationCaves of Owlverick
  • Server:Le' Forumz

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:59 PM

Quite personally I've always been a fan of Cinema 4D For 3D modeling.
As for Imaging: Paint.NET is the best free alternative to PS if you know what to do with it.

Tuts well mate Google and Youtube help alot there lol.

P.S. Yuki could you send me the base for the CG. I was gonna nab it from the VFS but I'm to lazy to go about all the work again. Getting my new rig Friday so I'm starting out fresh as possible.

~Btw this is LDG [LivingDeadGirl] from the old forums.

In about mmm 2 weeks? I'll start being active again. new items, skins, loading pages etc. :o cheers. Thanks for the Utiliy post aswell.

Emails button_smasherz@yahoo.com

Edited by Feuer, 27 July 2010 - 10:06 PM.

#11 Cleffy

Cleffy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2377 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 01:16 PM

I've looked and looked and looked. There is no free alternative to Photoshop. To get the robustness of features in Photoshop, there are only 2 options. Photoshop and Corel Painter.

#12 Feuer

Feuer

They pay me to post

• Members
  • 10958 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 05:15 PM

I dont know how many times I must say this but Paint.NET is AIMED at being a free photoshop. You just need to know how to install the plugins for it. Theres all the same features of photoshop in paint.net they're just not as flashy as photoshop because its a privately funded company making it and doing it with open source.

#13 Cleffy

Cleffy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2377 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:30 PM

Yes, but as a professional graphic artist. There really is no alternative that can do all you want as Photoshop. GIMP came close, then Adobe released CS, its a bit like trying to catch up to a bullet train with a hand-cranked rail cart. The differences and upgrades from CS to CS5 are kind of amazing and a major time saver.

#14 SirIce

SirIce

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationPluto

Posted 06 August 2010 - 09:43 PM

Totally agree (Late post)
I aculy use a few more programs.. ethen one i made my self to support more into rose setup.
but Photo shop CS is one the most important tools for the touch ups and placements mostly.
Thats if you don't work out the errors in your editor before hand.

#15 Feuer

Feuer

They pay me to post

• Members
  • 10958 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:28 PM

Im sorry to dissagree Cleffy but as a professional graphic designer* you should know the only limit to the quality produced by any person/application is only limited by the artist's will to create such a piece. Ive done many many images that are quite comparable to a PS production using Paint.Net simply because i know my way around and i know how to use the program.

However* i will say PS makes some edits easier* for an artist, but it doesn't mean either one is incapable of being a great program. Just take into perspective that Paint is free as where PS [depending on the package] can cost quite a shiny penny.

#16 Genesis

Genesis

ROSE Developer

• Community Managers
  • 2066 posts
  • Server:Arua

Posted 10 September 2010 - 04:32 PM

I use Adobe Fireworks for all my vector graphic needs, think of it as a stripped down equivalent to Photoshop.

#17 DigitalKitten

DigitalKitten

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4996 posts
  • Server:Leonis, Draconis

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:13 PM

Tyvm! This list was useful :handshake:

#18 Cleffy

Cleffy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2377 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 08:13 AM

Im sorry to dissagree Cleffy but as a professional graphic designer* you should know the only limit to the quality produced by any person/application is only limited by the artist's will to create such a piece. Ive done many many images that are quite comparable to a PS production using Paint.Net simply because i know my way around and i know how to use the program.

However* i will say PS makes some edits easier* for an artist, but it doesn't mean either one is incapable of being a great program. Just take into perspective that Paint is free as where PS [depending on the package] can cost quite a shiny penny.

I think I am a bit more pragmatic then you. Saving time and making things easier are exactly why I use PS over other paint programs. Time matters when creating something professionally. Its not like someone is gonna give you 2 years to make a cover art.

#19 Xenobite

Xenobite

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 07:14 AM

this tutorial is not too expensive (and it's really good):

3D Motive Hand Painted Weapon Texturing

Edited by Xenobite, 13 November 2011 - 07:14 AM.

#20 Feuer

Feuer

They pay me to post

• Members
  • 10958 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:15 PM

I think I am a bit more pragmatic then you. Saving time and making things easier are exactly why I use PS over other paint programs. Time matters when creating something professionally. Its not like someone is gonna give you 2 years to make a cover art.

Don't get me confused, I did post that photoshop makes some specific edits easier did i not? however there are alternatives if you look hard enough. I understand how if you paid a few hundred dollars for a program you are inclined to believe it's the best, however if you take what makes that program what it is [the plug ins, effects, layers etc] and put it into a different program, that runs them the same, does that make it a bad program? It has all the same features, but you don't cut you're arm off and sell your soul to get it. All I'm saying is it is~ a photoshop alternative that does the job VERY well for people who don't want to pay for it. Everyone told me "use maya or 3dsMax for 3D modeling", well I'll just say I'm very comfortable and good at using Cinema4D over either of those because it just fits me, and PS might not fit the newer artists/penny-wise users. PS is still a great program.

#21 RagingHormones

RagingHormones

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 733 posts
  • Playing:Pogo's Lounge

Posted 13 November 2011 - 06:40 PM

Im sorry to dissagree Cleffy but as a professional graphic designer* you should know the only limit to the quality produced by any person/application is only limited by the artist's will to create such a piece.

Hm using that logic with something like Microsoft Paint and PS, I'm sure something like MS Paint isn't even close to what PS is. I've seen some pretty cool MS Paint stuff that are just jaw dropping but the amount of time put into it must be at least quadruple of how long it would take in PS. Most ppl don't really have the motivation or time to work on a program that would inhibit them like that so in the long run the better featured program would be more time (and thus) cost effective. The thing with PS is the amazing versatility of what you can do on it, from pixel art to concept paintings to graphic design to painting directly on a 3d model, whereas in MS paint however much time you put into it it still looks like something that came from MS Paint.

It has all the same features, but you don't cut you're arm off and sell your soul to get it. All I'm saying is it is~ a photoshop alternative that does the job VERY well for people who don't want to pay for it. Everyone told me "use maya or 3dsMax for 3D modeling", well I'll just say I'm very comfortable and good at using Cinema4D over either of those because it just fits me

well chances are sometime in the future if you're going to work professionally you'll have to use other programs regardless whether you like/are familiar with them or not. If every alternative program has the same features, they should all feel comfortable to you. If everybody is telling you to use those programs, take their advice and save your individualism for later.

As for paying big $$$ there's always torrenting, but you didn't hear that from me of course. :X

#22 calaaniwygen

calaaniwygen

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 620 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:20 AM

Are the Models posted anywhere? Would be nice to know the ratios to be used, even if it just is a wireframe. :D

#23 NamirBarades

NamirBarades

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1664 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:37 AM

Are the Models posted anywhere? Would be nice to know the ratios to be used, even if it just is a wireframe. :D

Same--any available models?

#24 MsNakita

MsNakita

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 277 posts
  • Locationಥ⌣ಥ
  • Server:/Dragon Saga/

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:53 AM

I might venture into the realms of 3D instead of plain pen and paper, a very helpful post indeed. <3

#25 Xenobite

Xenobite

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:21 AM

since you already know how to draw you have big advantage compared to many 3d artists (and wannabe 3d artists) :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users