Sakray: 14.1 + Skill balance [Now Open!] - Archives - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * - - - 13 votes

Sakray: 14.1 + Skill balance [Now Open!]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
204 replies to this topic

#1 Heimdallr

Heimdallr

Too Legit To Quit

• Community Managers
  • 3654 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:51 PM

Currently 11/9 evening Sakray is being transitioned from the 13.3 setting to the 14.1 setting.

This is a very large update on the back end, about as big as renewal was. This change will be updating how skills work for tons of classes, as well as effecting monsters.

Tomorrow afternoon we "should" be able to have you all start testing with us on Sakray for the Skill balance stuff. We will have the job change stuff active for all 3rd classes and the upgrader in the pront shop won't fail so upgrades won't be an issue to 10.
There is a chance that it won't work due to part of the build being incompatible, in which case we will need to work on it more tomorrow. (this is why it is our live test server).

The goal is to get tests done on each class and test the skills against the supposed changes that were translated in October

http://forums.warppo...s-translations/

If everything checks out then we will be ready to test the 14.1 maps/monsters and quests stuff (which is still being worked on).

There will be feedback you all have about hte skill balances, right now we want to make sure it works not attempt to make changes yet. We will make proposals to get the skills to act in accordance with what we need, but it will NOT be changed prior to implementing the skill balance to the live servers.
The skill balance is an ongoing project going well into 2012, delaying it infinitely until all is right won't benefit anyone, making it work implementing it and then making changes to balance it out is the way we'll be going.

To Help ease the transition on the live servers, we will do "event WoEs" for at least 3 weeks after the update, so the stakes are different for everyone and treasure isn't the factor, we'll do stuff like Trans only, or 3rd only etc type of woes for fun and a bit of reward for all of you. It will also help test the woe balance in specific use cases. This should both be fun and useful.

With all that said I do have a bit of news about the monster changes that I've personally not seen explained out elsewhere. Currently RO in renewal settings is extremely fast from 1-99 and then slows down extensively until it becomes a crawl of lack of content at the 130+ levels. 14.1 does add some content, but it also brings significant monster changes for Exp.

The early content was blown through so fast that it is sort of wasteful for the number of contents around there (players outleveled everything before they could actually participate in it). So the early game monsters exp is lowered to about half current values (its actually a bit higher exp than half) and as monster level increases the ratio of the before:after exp gets closer to 1:1.

A positive change that I've already confirmed is the Bio labs 3 monsters get their exp doubled (or close enough) those changes should make hte level progression feel more like a smooth curve of effort to reward rather than a steep cliff that happens when you hit into the 100s. Also some monstes got some stats adjusted which should make them more challenging or balanced for their level. I don't have many cases off the top of my head but it is a few.

We of course will have our own quests stacked over top of whatever default content comes with 14.1 so I don't think leveling will be an issue, and likely will stay same or become faster.

#2 Kevin

Kevin

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:56 PM

edit* lol i shouldnt' start with such a negative post

great work gravity on getting this done, I can't wait to test it!

(but gotta break mass loads of bbs and do 3 et runs before i can, damn x2 drop event!)

Edited by Kevin, 09 November 2011 - 07:58 PM.

#3 Andini

Andini

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2738 posts
  • LocationNorcal

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:01 PM

will the sakray patcher from when rwc happen patch to this? or will we have to dl it again? i dont think theres a point in testing with trans or non trans tho

Edited by Andini, 09 November 2011 - 08:06 PM.

#4 FiskBlack

FiskBlack

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 742 posts
  • LocationMexico, Campeche
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:03 PM

I wanna see Oda, my brony bud!

Lets test storm blast and CC, also what about DB bug? I will do my best testing all the classes...

#5 zr0rieu

zr0rieu

Universal Translator

• Members
  • 3475 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:09 PM

I think the event WoEs will be on main servers (Ymir, Ygg, Valkyrie) AFTER the balance patch and 14.1 are applied on the main servers.

#6 neokenshin

neokenshin

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 144 posts
  • LocationDunno...they kicked me out of Hades for being too evil

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:16 PM

Time to make sure the Rangers are ready to go and make a comeback!

#7 Azyrk

Azyrk

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1884 posts
  • Server:Yggdrasil

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:16 PM

Awesome! I can't wait to start testing everything out! Sakray WoE should be fun. The GMs should totally participate. :)
Thank you for making this post informing us on everything.
If testing and everything goes smoothly without any hiccups, when do you think the patch will be implemented? A seven day window will suffice.

@ zr0rieu - On the RO Facebook page, Oda said they will be hosting WoE on Sakray to test the balance patch. =P

Edited by Azyrk, 09 November 2011 - 08:19 PM.

#8 Mefistofeles

Mefistofeles

Too Legit To Quit

• Members - No Sig
  • 1281 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:22 PM

the matk formula............... dear heimlord, i hope at least the matk in "status window" its fixed

AND NOPE, the dragons breath bugg will not be fixed in the balance patch.........

Edited by Mefistofeles, 09 November 2011 - 08:24 PM.

#9 zr0rieu

zr0rieu

Universal Translator

• Members
  • 3475 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:24 PM

Heim said the event woe's are going to be on main servers. Perhaps Oda is talking about non-event woe?

#10 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts
  • LocationWaterfall of the Nine Heavens
  • Server:All

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:25 PM

I wanna see Oda, my brony bud!

Lets test storm blast and CC, also what about DB bug? I will do my best testing all the classes...

Look for a short haired blonde with a mini skirt named GM 08 Posted Image

#11 Ramen

Ramen

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1990 posts
  • LocationEientei
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:25 PM

I hope this isn't too off topic, but I saw the event WoEs, and I would LOVE to have a "First Job Only" WoE (Ninja and Gunslinger would have to be excluded since they are more like an instant jump to second class.) Just imagine having a WoE with all of the first classes! That would be amazing!

As for the testing, I'd really like to help with it, but I tend to get kind of scatterbrained and end up being not unsure of how to go about testing and stuff. Is there anyone that could make some kind of a checklist, or perhaps some guidelines on how one would go about properly testing skills and the like.

#12 NoxiousOrchid

NoxiousOrchid

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 755 posts
  • LocationLA, CA

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:45 PM

Please do not rush this. Give us something like a month of testing so we can give you as much feedback as possible.

#13 Mefistofeles

Mefistofeles

Too Legit To Quit

• Members - No Sig
  • 1281 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:57 PM

Please do not rush this. Give us something like a month of testing so we can give you as much feedback as possible.

they are putting this in sakray the TEST server
then in 2012 they will put it in main servers... please read some more

#14 mooMOOmoo

mooMOOmoo

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:04 PM

14.1 does add some content, but it also brings significant monster changes for Exp.

Other servers such as pRO just got the "complete 13.3 update" last month. According to this post on irowiki, the 13.3 patch recived by pRO has their El Dicates monsters giving only half exp while hits about 3 times as hard.

Is this the "significant monster changes" that will come with iRO's 14.1 update?

Edited by mooMOOmoo, 09 November 2011 - 09:09 PM.

#15 Wiggles

Wiggles

Awarded #1 Troll

• Banned
  • 844 posts
  • Server:Ymir (Retired)

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:08 PM

So the early game monsters exp is lowered to about half current values (its actually a bit higher exp than half) and as monster level increases the ratio of the before:after exp gets closer to 1:1.

Heim, it would be really great if you could get this information to me. (via forum PM or on MSN)

For updating the www.healplz.com/exp page.

#16 fenryl

fenryl

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:09 PM

they are putting this in sakray the TEST server
then in 2012 they will put it in main servers... please read some more

Where does it say 2012 in main servers? Heim said the balance patch is an ongoing project that will last for a while and he d rather play with what we have now, test it on sakray and release it on main servers asap instead of waiting for kro to finish balancing everything sometimes next year...

#17 Zinja

Zinja

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2348 posts
  • Server:Classic

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:34 PM

Blah blah blah.....
We will make proposals to get the skills to act in accordance with what we need, but it will NOT be changed prior to implementing the skill balance to the live servers.
Blah blah blah.....

just lost all my interest to test the balance patch....
Posted Image

#18 mooMOOmoo

mooMOOmoo

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:42 PM

just lost all my interest to test the balance patch....
Posted Image

Our feedback from this sakray test go into the future iterations of balance patches. Don't forget there are other servers beside iRO that have skill balance proposals too...

Edited by mooMOOmoo, 09 November 2011 - 09:42 PM.

#19 Wiggles

Wiggles

Awarded #1 Troll

• Banned
  • 844 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:42 PM

Hm, Zinja makes a good point.

Why bother testing it if we are gonna be getting it any way?

#20 zr0rieu

zr0rieu

Universal Translator

• Members
  • 3475 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:44 PM

Because we need to verify whether the formulas are correct or not?

#21 Wiggles

Wiggles

Awarded #1 Troll

• Banned
  • 844 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:53 PM

But, even if they are incorrect, we are still gonna be getting them on main servers.

I think what Zinja was trying to say was, why waste time downloading the Sakray client then spending a few hours on the test server to find out all the things that are broken, when all the broken stuff is still gonna come to the main servers. We could just wait til it comes to main servers and find out its broken then.

#22 Zinja

Zinja

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2348 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:53 PM

Because we need to verify whether the formulas are correct or not?

Posted Image

The current Iro formulas which were mysteriously pending heim and oda approval .... like for ever... are no where to be seen in this new sub forum.
If we can have those approved formulas along with the post balance in the google docs. We can have a very very clear idea of what to look for in each skill and report what has changed from the actual , intended and the observed.

/...

Working on that.

waiting.......

#23 Zinja

Zinja

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2348 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:55 PM

But, even if they are incorrect, we are still gonna be getting them on main servers.

I think what Zinja was trying to say was, why waste time downloading the Sakray client then spending a few hours on the test server to find out all the things that are broken, when all the broken stuff is still gonna come to the main servers. We could just wait til it comes to main servers and find out its broken then.

yes

#24 FoxyWoxy

FoxyWoxy

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:02 PM

So problem being 130+ lvls being slow, solution is to make them all slower?

#25 Wizard

Wizard

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3957 posts
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:24 PM

So problem being 130+ lvls being slow, solution is to make them all slower?

lol... people nowdays...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users