Question regarding the moderating of this forum - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Question regarding the moderating of this forum

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
45 replies to this topic

#1 TheQuietStorm

TheQuietStorm

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1001 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:chaos>ymir>chaos

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:16 AM

So yeah, i would love to know why some posts get deleted on this forum. For example the second ale thread (before it got nasty).

I posted in that thread that the poll got bugged, and that I couldnt vote (after that post others said as well that the poll was bugged). And to make a long story short(ish) My post continued with that i understood why they wanted to address the Green Ale farming by bots. But making these decisions that hurt normal real players more and arent really solving the whole botting thing. With giving them an example of a bot that has been running round for a while now (level 99 rogue, in eden gear)

Mind you, I personally am not even effected by the whole green ale thing, I do not own a St patty hat nor do i have ales. But, I really think that the whole nerving the green ale thing doesnt address the real problem: the bots.

(They just are going to farm other things, like they do for years and years)

But back on the subject.. Why do some posts that aren't flammatory towards other users, get deleted or editted while some posts by obvious trolls just gets to stay there?

:D

Anyone?

#2 kite24

kite24

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 506 posts
  • LocationEast Prontera
  • Server:Classic

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:21 AM

Redundant topics or possibility of trolling topic.

Other than that, I'm not sure. I'm not even sure on what I said.

#3 TheQuietStorm

TheQuietStorm

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1001 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:24 AM

Redundant topics or possibility of trolling topic.

Other than that, I'm not sure. I'm not even sure on what I said.

it was posted in the Green ale thread by heimdallr. About a broken poll (at the time i posted), green ales, and the botting issue.

#4 Okii

Okii

Too Legit To Quit

• Banned
  • 1733 posts
  • LocationAppleton, WI
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:41 AM

it was posted in the Green ale thread by heimdallr. About a broken poll (at the time i posted), green ales, and the botting issue.

Unfortunately, I think my comment, as well as others using flammatory remarks, somewhat killed the topic, which I apologize for (I was mad).
Working on my temper so bear with me :\

But is this topic about how the threads are moderated or are you trying to revive the green ale discussion?

Edited by Okii, 12 November 2011 - 04:42 AM.

#5 TheQuietStorm

TheQuietStorm

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1001 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:45 AM

Im not trying to revive the green ale discussion, I was just wondering why certain posts including mine got deleted.

#6 ExDarkrb

ExDarkrb

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1234 posts
  • LocationSingapore
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:51 AM

the GM and CMs have their own right to introduce their own propaganda where only the nice and pretty information is shown

#7 Okii

Okii

Too Legit To Quit

• Banned
  • 1733 posts
  • LocationAppleton, WI

Posted 12 November 2011 - 05:26 AM

Im not trying to revive the green ale discussion, I was just wondering why certain posts including mine got deleted.

I never even had a chance to see it.
I saw the post where you mentioned your post being deleted, so I couldn't really give an answer as to why it could have been deleted.
Poor Mefisto was banned =(

He may be a troll, and has his left pinky super-glued on the caps lock button, but I enjoyed reading his posts. They made me laugh, and brightened my mood a bit.
I guess some people push and push and then a baby comes out and are finally pushed back and they just aren't ready for it.

No idea.
I wonder if I'm supposed to even be posting this?
No idea again.

Edited by Okii, 12 November 2011 - 05:26 AM.

#8 kite24

kite24

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 506 posts
  • LocationEast Prontera

Posted 12 November 2011 - 05:38 AM

Poll was not working, so they had to remake the thread.

I know how you feel, I made a post with so much points there as well :\

Edited by kite24, 12 November 2011 - 05:52 AM.

#9 Andini

Andini

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2738 posts
  • LocationNorcal

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:12 AM

im not sure why you would want that discussion revived when it is clear that any discussion is simply just words thrown around as the end result is not based off the discussion but off of what they perceive in game

#10 Susan

Susan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1024 posts
  • Server:ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:55 AM

the mods are human too, at least most of them. not all their actions make sense

#11 Lambor

Lambor

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1230 posts
  • LocationAbingdon, MD
  • Server:Chaos - Animosity Leader

Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:17 AM

Glad that mefisto baddie is gone. Tired of seeing those noob ass posts.

#12 Kitten

Kitten

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3077 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:21 AM

For the most part, a lot of the mods are pretty good.

There are some that are a bit too heavy handed, and I think they should reign that in but that's minor.

However, there have been clearly reported cases of flat out abuse that were just left without any punishment. I'm not talking about well-meaning honest mistakes, those happen, the mods are human. I mean simple targeting and harrassment on a personal level. It bothers me that those who have done that have kept their positions. As said, mistakes happen, but once you breach your position and abuse your power.. That speaks volumes about your character.

#13 Okii

Okii

Too Legit To Quit

• Banned
  • 1733 posts
  • LocationAppleton, WI

Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:25 AM

=__=

#14 Viri

Viri

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6295 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:30 AM

Letting non CM mods delete and edit posts is rather unprofessional. They should be able to flag it or something but when they go deleting or modifying someone's posts it looks really fishy. Why not let people see who is editing or deleting their post so they can take it up with them?

#15 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:30 AM

There are some that are a bit too heavy handed, and I think they should reign that in but that's minor.

However, there have been clearly reported cases of flat out abuse that were just left without any punishment. I'm not talking about well-meaning honest mistakes, those happen, the mods are human. I mean simple targeting and harrassment on a personal level.

I noticed that too.

#16 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:11 AM

Letting non CM mods delete and edit posts is rather unprofessional. They should be able to flag it or something but when they go deleting or modifying someone's posts it looks really fishy. Why not let people see who is editing or deleting their post so they can take it up with them?

You can see who edits the post if it's one of us. The issue with editing posts is that people tend to just edit them back to what they said originally, so it doesn't tend to work very well.

There's logs of what we do, it's not like we're running around unchecked. Deleted posts are not truly deleted, they're just hidden from view... We can still see them. The most common times something's locked or deleted is when someone else has reported it so it's not just us.

In the end, though, it comes down to the community learning how to communicate what they have to say in a way that doesn't involve swearing, flaming, slander, etc. which seems to be rather difficult for the majority of the people on the forums (or in-game, for that matter).

If you have a problem with something we've done, tell Oda about it.

However, there have been clearly reported cases of flat out abuse that were just left without any punishment. I'm not talking about well-meaning honest mistakes, those happen, the mods are human. I mean simple targeting and harrassment on a personal level. It bothers me that those who have done that have kept their positions. As said, mistakes happen, but once you breach your position and abuse your power.. That speaks volumes about your character.

Unfortunately in my experience it seems to be the bigger names on the forums that have the most problems anytime action is taken against them. It seems to be fine when we have to edit or delete other people's posts, but when it's one of theirs all hell breaks loose and it suddenly becomes us with a personal vendetta against them.

It's not an easy job, let me tell you. All of us seem to have different ways and ideas of trying to manage things. =/

Edited by Ralis, 12 November 2011 - 11:17 AM.

#17 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:15 AM

You can see who edits the post if it's one of us. The issue with editing posts is that people tend to just edit them back to what they said originally, so it doesn't tend to work very well.

There's logs of what we do, it's not like we're running around unchecked. Deleted posts are not truly deleted, they're just hidden from view... We can still see them. The most common times something's locked or deleted is when someone else has reported it so it's not just us.

In the end, though, it comes down to the community learning how to communicate what they have to say in a way that doesn't involve swearing, flaming, slander, etc. which seems to be rather difficult for the majority of the people on the forums (or in-game, for that matter).

If you have a problem with something we've done, tell Oda about it.

Can I just say... if you moderated the people who made the attacks within 2 days, maybe the forum users wouldn't feel the need to tell the aggressors to 3__3 off. I know in my case the report function is absolutely pointless and PMs to particular mods or CMs get the job done.

#18 Scuba

Scuba

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3225 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:16 AM

Had him filtered but this ^

Also any thread that is contrary to what the GMs believe but gets enough positive votes, (not just in the OP but throughout the thread) is destined to threadlock.

Can I just say... if you moderated the people who made the attacks within 2 days, maybe the forum users wouldn't feel the need to tell the aggressors to-_- off. I know in my case the report function is absolutely pointless and PMs to particular mods or CMs get the job done.

Posted Image
Oh you can say-_- off now. Sweet. :D
Fungineers don't have privlages my ass. Xellie can swear.

Edited by Scuba, 12 November 2011 - 11:22 AM.

#19 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:20 AM

lol.. no I can't!
What are you smoking?! Give me some!

Yeah ok that's odd. The censorship doesn't show up until I refresh it anyway.

Posted Image

And honestly if it was that big of a deal I could just troll you breaking the censor with BBcode. I haven't and I don't know whats up... but no need to make a big deal out of it.

Edited by Xellie, 12 November 2011 - 11:26 AM.

#20 FiskBlack

FiskBlack

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 742 posts
  • LocationMexico, Campeche
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:24 AM

Had him filtered but this ^

Also any thread that is contrary to what the GMs believe but gets enough positive votes, (not just in the OP but throughout the thread) is destined to threadlock.

Posted Image
Oh you can say-_- off now. Sweet. :D
Fungineers don't have privlages my ass. Xellie can swear.

wat, now is a war between green names vs normal users? Don't be so pathetic cry baby lol

Edited by FiskBlack, 12 November 2011 - 11:25 AM.

#21 Scuba

Scuba

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3225 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:24 AM

zzzzzzzzzz :D

was an observational troll but ok im crying.

Edited by Scuba, 12 November 2011 - 11:25 AM.

#22 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:27 AM

ok, lol what the-_-

brb swearing on forum

OH IT DOESN'T WORK NOW.

Edited by Xellie, 12 November 2011 - 11:28 AM.

#23 Scuba

Scuba

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3225 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:32 AM

haha its not a big deal i was joking @_@

#24 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:34 AM

it's ok I still :D love your :( stupid ass <3

#25 Scuba

Scuba

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3225 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:35 AM

:( piss-_- :(-_- mother-_-er tits fart turd and Awesome Guy.

:D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users