About first hit loot priority in MVPing - Game Discussions (archived) - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

About first hit loot priority in MVPing

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 radiogaga

radiogaga

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 11:41 AM

As I understand it, if someone gets first hit, their damage gets multiplied by 2x when it's being calculated for who gets loot priority once an MVP dies. So basically one would only need to do damage equal to about a third of a MVPs health in order to get the drops. Can anyone explain the logic behind this for me? I understand that it protects people from getting their loot stolen by a Sura who can kill an MVP they've been working on for a while with one G-fist, but with the system being the way it is now, it feels kind of like a crap shoot. What's the point of being MVP if most of the MVP rewards are relatively worthless (e.g. OPB, OBB, etc) compared to some of the loots that a MVP can drop? With MVPs being so easy the way they are, and having so little HP, it's pretty difficult to override someone's first hit priority before it dies unless you can do twice the damage and get there soon after they're on the MVP. There just doesn't seem to be any strategy in MVPing anymore. Sure, you can have all the people in your party spread out over the map, and have your non-killers try to first hit it in order to maximize your chance of getting the loot...but what ultimately stands between you and say, Valk Randgris' loot is just a lucky wing or two. It just feels like it's based too much on luck. Thoughts, anyone?

#2 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 24 November 2011 - 11:48 AM

all true, it's completely bs. It's been an issue since forever

On a side note, if you hit it with more than one non killer, you're sort of diluting your loot priority and increasing your opponents.

#3 Loki1669

Loki1669

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 260 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 24 November 2011 - 11:52 AM

Talk to Ralis, hes a pro at MVP looting.

#4 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 24 November 2011 - 11:56 AM

Man MVP looters are the worst. They really need to fix that crap

Edited by Xellie, 24 November 2011 - 11:58 AM.

#5 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Server:Classic

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:03 PM

lol you must be talking about Amon Ra, Loki? I have to explain loot priority to people all the time when I go down there on my Royal Guard.

Originally the system was intended to balance things out a bit between Champs and Biochems and the rest of the classes so that someone couldn't come and fist something you'd been working and get loot, but lately MVPs are definitely just too easy and it's not working as it should.

#6 Loki1669

Loki1669

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:06 PM

I've never been to Amon ra. I'm talking orc hero and mistress on several occasions.

You aim for loot priority, and have yet to ever outmvp me. All you do is greed once its dead and bwing.

#7 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:07 PM

lol you must be talking about Amon Ra, Loki? I have to explain loot priority to people all the time when I go down there on my Royal Guard.

Originally the system was intended to balance things out a bit between Champs and Biochems and the rest of the classes so that someone couldn't come and fist something you'd been working and get loot, but lately MVPs are definitely just too easy and it's not working as it should.

Do you actually get MVP when you loot? Other classes do have costs too. I'm curious as to the moral standing you take on this issue.

For example, I can out MVP an RG on amon ra, but they have first hit priority, but I used EDP. Seems unfair. Imo, if you want to MVP, make an MVP char and put the same effort in as MVPers.

Also, COMPLETE CRAP @ intended to balance. It's been like that since beta, and last I checked, Alchems and monks didn't exist in beta, let alone biochems and champs.

Why do everyone fall back on "intended to balance" on RETARDED things that are just gaping flaws in the game because it benefits them?

Edited by Xellie, 24 November 2011 - 12:09 PM.

#8 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:15 PM

I have NEVER used Greed on an MVP. Complete waste of KP to get those scrolls.

Finding the MVP first is a big part of MVPing, so yeah I'd have loot priority. It takes me a bit longer to kill stuff on my Royal Guard than for a Sura or Biochem to come along and fist or bomb it. It's not like I work it a bit and then wait for someone to come along so I can grab the stuff out of spite, if you've ever out-MVPed me I'm still there working it or had to tele and am on my way back.

Costs? If you actually cared about the costs and not killing it ASAP, you'd make another class and MVP on it. So no, I'm not going to hand over the loot because you used a Yggberry or what not. That's your decision to play that class for the speed of killing MVPs.

#9 Myzery

Myzery

They pay me to post.

• Banned
  • 6670 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:18 PM

It was in before either of those classes were introduced. It was there most likely for extremely populated servers.
It balances out a bit more when 45675468678678654 people are hitting the same MvP and I think that's fine. You shouldn't get someone's loot for stone flinging something before someone else works hard to kill it.

#10 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:20 PM

It's just that aspect of finding the MVP first. On the set spawn ones I don't agree with it as much, but on open fields and dungeons it's definitely nice to have.

#11 Loki1669

Loki1669

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:29 PM

Oh yea, clearly I haven't played this game long enough to know someone using greed when I see it. Clearly.

All loot should be changed to be MVP rewards, that way they automatically go into the MVPers inventory, and not just the OBB's and OPB's.

#12 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:30 PM

I have NEVER used Greed on an MVP. Complete waste of KP to get those scrolls.

Finding the MVP first is a big part of MVPing, so yeah I'd have loot priority. It takes me a bit longer to kill stuff on my Royal Guard than for a Sura or Biochem to come along and fist or bomb it. It's not like I work it a bit and then wait for someone to come along so I can grab the stuff out of spite, if you've ever out-MVPed me I'm still there working it or had to tele and am on my way back.

Costs? If you actually cared about the costs and not killing it ASAP, you'd make another class and MVP on it. So no, I'm not going to hand over the loot because you used a Yggberry or what not. That's your decision to play that class for the speed of killing MVPs.

LOL.

"I can't out mvp you so I'll loot you."

What do we call that in other games .... BM?

Why is someone like you a representive for this game hahaha? Back in my day it was an unwritten community rule to be a decent person at MVPs and accept your losses, cause that person invested the time and zeny into having a better character. It was called having respect for those you compete with. Novel concept, but I guess you won't grasp it until you reach adulthood.

In my case, I had to EDP first, I didn't get first hit. But what ya know, baddies gonna be bad and loot.

#13 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:33 PM

Oh yea, clearly I haven't played this game long enough to know someone using greed when I see it. Clearly.

All loot should be changed to be MVP rewards, that way they automatically go into the MVPers inventory, and not just the OBB's and OPB's.

Is this the female Ralis that Rate plays, perhaps?

If not, I don't know what to tell you, because the only Greed Scrolls I've used in this game have been in the WoE 2 Guild Dungeon event.

#14 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:36 PM

LOL.

"I can't out mvp you so I'll loot you."

What do we call that in other games .... BM?

Why is someone like you a representive for this game hahaha? Back in my day it was an unwritten community rule to be a decent person at MVPs and accept your losses, cause that person invested the time and zeny into having a better character. It was called having respect for those you compete with. Novel concept, but I guess you won't grasp it until you reach adulthood.

In my case, I had to EDP first, I didn't get first hit. But what ya know, baddies gonna be bad and loot.

"I can't MVP on any class besides a Sura or Gen."

?

Some of us don't enjoy one-hit-kills-all classes. I finally made one out of necessity for stuff like Valk Randgris, but so far I've enjoyed my Royal Guard much more.

I'd still say it's an unwritten rule, but people feel that they're entitled to the loot when they did not get there first and pressed a button to kill it.

My advice would be to get a hit off, then use an EDP. Problem solved.

#15 lainee

lainee

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 729 posts
  • LocationOceanic Eternity
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:48 PM

Complete bollocks. If you really think that, then I can only assume you were not playing back in beta, pre 2-2 classes (alchie, monk etc) or even pre trans. The system has been around since the very beginning of the game, back when it was assumed that there would be multiple comp for the MVP from a lot of different players. What you are doing is exploiting something that should have been changed ages ago to reflect the changes in the game, classes and general population over the years. What makes it even worse is that it is a Mod doing it.

#16 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:50 PM

Complete bollocks. If you really think that, then I can only assume you were not playing back in beta, pre 2-2 classes (alchie, monk etc) or even pre trans. The system has been around since the very beginning of the game, back when it was assumed that there would be multiple comp for the MVP from a lot of different players. What you are doing is exploiting something that should have been changed ages ago to reflect the changes in the game, classes and general population over the years. What makes it even worse is that it is a Mod doing it.

...I'm exploiting an intended feature that gives other people a fair chance at beating Suras and Gens?

#17 Loki1669

Loki1669

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:52 PM

You know I'm not gonna bother to even bring screenshots into this, but I could if I had the time to dig them up, since you did it pretty often. So lets say I give you the benefit of the doubt that no greed scrolls were used. My point still stands.

#18 lainee

lainee

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 729 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:57 PM

...I'm exploiting an intended feature that gives other people a fair chance at beating Suras and Gens?

But you are not actually 'beating' them are you. You are just looting them.

I remember a time where on iRO and oRO, that when multiple parties were competing for MVPs, 9 times out 10 the losing parties (even if they had loot priority) would let the person or party that got the actual MVP grab the loots. It was kind of an unofficial rule between all the hardcore MVPers.

#19 HRdevil

HRdevil

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1165 posts
  • LocationMassachusets
  • Server:IRO Valkyrie

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:58 PM

Why is it that suras are mentioned in every controversial topic? Anyone smells a nerf? :P

#20 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:58 PM

Your point is that I found an MVP first, was working on it and you came along and bombed it and expected to get the loot. I don't see anything wrong with me picking up the loot that, by the game's system, is mine.

#21 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:59 PM

But you're not beating them.

People like you are disgusting, I know people that used to show up to amon ra and not even TRY to kill it, just precasting on the spot to get loot priority, they don't actually intended to MVP.

It's not an intended feature, everyone has pointed out, it existed before those classes - you're exploiting a flaw in the system, nothing more, nothing less.

On top of justifying being a bad mannered loser.

Manner up.

#22 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:00 PM

But you are not actually 'beating' them are you. You are just looting them.

I remember a time where on iRO and oRO, that when multiple parties were competing for MVPs, 9 times out 10 the losing parties (even if they had loot priority) would let the person or party that got the actual MVP grab the loots. It was kind of an unofficial rule between all the hardcore MVPers.

By the game's system, I beat them by finding the MVP first and doing enough damage to still beat them with that first hit bonus. That's only half the time. The other half of the time I get both MVP and loot priority.

If you have a problem with the game's system for loot, bring it up in the technical discussion thread.

#23 Resplendent

Resplendent

Grand Nagus

• Members
  • 543 posts
  • LocationWashington State
  • Server:Sakray

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:04 PM

If you want to report someone for doing something ill-mannered then please just do it. If you're just stirring things up to cause drama, then I'll lock this. If you have a concrete suggestion as to how the game can be improved, then make that without dragging specific people into it. Accusing people of ill-mannered activities on the forums is a great way to get your thread locked.

Edited by Resplendent, 24 November 2011 - 01:05 PM.

#24 lainee

lainee

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 729 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:08 PM

By the game's system, I beat them by finding the MVP first and doing enough damage to still beat them with that first hit bonus. That's only half the time. The other half of the time I get both MVP and loot priority.

If you have a problem with the game's system for loot, bring it up in the technical discussion thread.

Had you been playing back in beta, or old Chaos and Loki - you would not have lasted 5 mins with that attitude. You would have been :P listed by every major guild. As you are a Valk player and were not playing back then, I guess it is understandable that you do not understand the 'original intention' of the loot priority rule though.

Edited by lainee, 24 November 2011 - 01:09 PM.

#25 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:10 PM

I have a problem with a moderator being so ill informed and spreading misinformation, such as "this is intended so I can beat suras to the loot" - Do tell me then what the whole point of the MVP system is then? That is what the OP was about after all.

Just because you seem unable to read the small text people have told you this in repeatedly..... I have made it easier to read for you.

Edited by zr0rieu, 24 November 2011 - 06:25 PM.
removed obnoxious pic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users