What's a troll? - 14.1 and Skill Balance update feedback - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

What's a troll?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 big742003

big742003

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 197 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Mostly Ygg, some Valk

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:19 PM

Maybe I'm too old to understand, but I keep seeing the word troll used in various ways on this forum. I kinda get a clue that it means someone is complaining or ranting? Please clarify. -_-

#2 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA
  • Server:Chaos/Renewal

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:51 PM

A troll is someone on a forum o other internet social hub who uses disharmony (arguments, volatile interactions, confusion/chaos, playing people for fools, or other tactics) as a form of self-entertainment.

Edited by Jaye, 21 December 2011 - 01:51 PM.

#3 Astraeos

Astraeos

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 666 posts
  • LocationMars

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:52 PM

being a douche from the safety of being behind a screen

Spoiler

#4 Mowi

Mowi

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 367 posts
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 21 December 2011 - 04:14 PM

Just watch out for any posts by forum users [NAMES EDITED]. -_-

#5 Mwrip

Mwrip

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1295 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...

Posted 21 December 2011 - 05:22 PM

Trolling was originally a fishing term, it refers to moving bait along in the water in the hopes it will attract a fish to bite it.

Trolling in a forum is the same thing, but with arguments - intentionally irrational, inflammatory posts designed to get people to "bite" by attacking the poster, who is of course, intentionally wrong, and there only to get entertainment form getting people pissed. It's of course also a play on the other kind of troll, as the personalities are about the same.

The best reply to trolling is nothing at all - ANY reply is giving them the attention they crave, while simply ignoring them will make them go away in search of easier targets. The only reason to reply to a troll post is to try to get others to stop biting, and in that case, you should be directly to the point - show that they're trolling, then leave the thread.

The term (as well as how to stop the people doing it) go waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back to Usenet in the 90's, yet sadly, how to deal with trolls STILL isn't common knowledge.

It's rarely obvious from a single post who's trolling (as some arguments are simply poorly delivered or typed out of a moment of anger and not forethought), but trolls are usually quite obvious if you've read several of their posts.

#6 JStoneheart

JStoneheart

Amateur Blogger

• Banned
  • 268 posts
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 21 December 2011 - 07:18 PM

Trolling was originally a fishing term, it refers to moving bait along in the water in the hopes it will attract a fish to bite it.

Trolling in a forum is the same thing, but with arguments - intentionally irrational, inflammatory posts designed to get people to "bite" by attacking the poster, who is of course, intentionally wrong, and there only to get entertainment form getting people pissed. It's of course also a play on the other kind of troll, as the personalities are about the same.

The best reply to trolling is nothing at all - ANY reply is giving them the attention they crave, while simply ignoring them will make them go away in search of easier targets. The only reason to reply to a troll post is to try to get others to stop biting, and in that case, you should be directly to the point - show that they're trolling, then leave the thread.

The term (as well as how to stop the people doing it) go waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back to Usenet in the 90's, yet sadly, how to deal with trolls STILL isn't common knowledge.

It's rarely obvious from a single post who's trolling (as some arguments are simply poorly delivered or typed out of a moment of anger and not forethought), but trolls are usually quite obvious if you've read several of their posts.

You are totally wrong. Trolls are those cute little hairy dolls, which had an awesome cartoon.

#7 big742003

big742003

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 197 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • Server:Mostly Ygg, some Valk

Posted 21 December 2011 - 07:57 PM

Thanks guys. Makes sense now. -_- :thumb:

#8 RuneLightmage

RuneLightmage

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:31 AM

I'll give it to the community on this one. Until I read this, I was feeling that QUITE a lot of people on these forums have no concept of what trolling is because I have read posts which are very untrollish and yet get remarks of 'you better be trolling' or 'stop trolling'. I think it's also being used to refer to someone who is just plain wrong about the facts- like a troll might be. And here, where there is a community of people who like to do the math behind formulas it's very possible someone getting in on that could be wrong and encounter at least a few unforgiving people here who would throw the troll word at them for using an old formula or just not quite knowing as much. And yeah, the forums have some well known users who can be real ***** if you say something that isn't clinically 100% factually true. Those people annoy me.

Moving on,

The above replies do a good job of describing a troll and in general, they're pretty spot on. The definitions given were so good as to allow me to weed out a good portion of posts I previously hadn't understood or were confused about (ie calling someone a troll who clearly had no intent to cause distress or harm- yet being labeled something derogatory for speaking nonetheless) and recognize that they did, in fact, fall under the troll category for reasons I had only partially grasped.

Still, I feel it is used a bit unnecessarily and hairtriggeredly (SO not a word lol) but I also admit I have only read about 1/100th of the total posts. Also, like was said above, many people here know each other so they can call a troll out sooner that I could. What I might perceive to be a neutral or fair statement may be a trollish one from someone people here know to be one.

Thank you guys for the replies and thank you, Big, for asking the question. I learned something new about something I thought I already knew...that's pretty cool.

#9 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA
  • Server:Chaos/Renewal

Posted 28 December 2011 - 05:08 AM

In west Philidelphia I was born and raised; on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Chillin' out back relaxing all cool, shooting some B-ball outside of school. When a couple of guys who were up to no good started making trouble in my neighborhood, I got into one little fight and my mom got scared-- she said "You're moving with your auntie and uncle in Bel-Air." I whistled for a cab and when it came near the license plate said 'FRESH' and it had dice in the mirror. If anything I can say is that this cab was rare but I thought 'Man, forget it' - 'Yo homes to Bel Air!'. I pulled up to the house about seven or eight and I yelled to the cabbie 'Yo homes smell ya later!'. I looked to my kingdom I was finally there-- to sit on my throne as the Prince of Bel Air.

#10 jcrocs

jcrocs

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • Server:Valk

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:33 AM

i am the definition of troll

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users