Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 955 posts
  • Twitter:https://twitter.com/thenagrarok
  • LocationMOOTXICO!
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Valkyrie Forever

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:51 PM

have u played Lord of the Rings Online? or Runes of Magic?, or Rose?, or Eden Eternal? OR ANY OTHER WoW CLONE?!? well ro2 is the same, THE SAME! Skill bar in the bottom, 4 bags (1already obtained, the other 3 from kafra shop im pretty sure about that) character info top left on the screen, quest display on the right ...

Really, its like playing the same game with a diferent skin ... even the characters acts like any of theese games, click on the enemy, character approach, boring face to face battle, rinse and repeat ... geez ...

your thoughts?

PS: no advertise intended ... no seriously!

BUT if u want to get a idea what im talking about, lets take another game and just look and decide which one is more fun ...

Please don't hype other games in this forum

Edited by Maka, 28 December 2011 - 05:16 AM.

#2 Skotios

Skotios

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:54 PM

I want to play THAT game!...too bad I can't since my PC is like 1201274 years old. :o

And as to your complaint. There's literally thousands of MMO's out there especially in Asian Countries. There are only so many places to arrange the display hub for a game. It's inevitable that games will have a similarity in that aspect. Also, copying WoW (I instinctively typed WoE there lol) is whatever, imo, because it's pretty obvious by now that the creators were on the ball with at least some things in order to get such a huge fan base.

Edited by Skotios, 27 December 2011 - 11:59 PM.

#3 FatalityX

FatalityX

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:54 PM

Feels like rose online to me =P Played it for a good 30mins and im done with it. Uninstalled.

#4 ikeren

ikeren

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 508 posts
  • Locationchicity
  • Server:Renewal

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:03 AM

I think I read this on a YT comment but it actually makes sense,
RO2 is a copy of everyother quest-based MMO just as every platformer is a copy of Super Mario bros.
Also... I've played Dr*gonNest and it's not as cool as that video makes it seem... orz

#5 VermillionT

VermillionT

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • LocationI travel across Midgard, aimlessly.
  • Server:Re:Start

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:51 AM

Well, RO2 looks the same as every other WoW clone to me and I haven't even seen WoW... ever. I don't plan to either. RO2 Looks almost identical to Fiesta to me. (Btw, Fiesta is a horrible game. It's fun for about an hour before it gets repetitive.)

That other game looks cool though. Looking at those 2 videos, i'd choose DN over RO2 easily.

#6 lainee

lainee

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 729 posts
  • LocationOceanic Eternity
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 28 December 2011 - 03:09 AM

The problem with Gravity Korea and their game devs is that they never really have been able to grasp or understand what made RO popular (well as it once was) or why it still has a somewhat of a dedicated following globally. The first aborted attempt at RO2, Gates of the World was a complete debacle and really highlighted that total non-understanding of what made RO special. The new RO2 is not going to be much better. I have less than zero interest in a WoW clone with a superficial Ragnarok themed skin. I will however probably play the original RO (Well as original as it can be with Renewal) until they 'pull the plug'. RO2 could have been so much more, but it will ultimately be another abysmal failure for Gravity.

Edited by lainee, 28 December 2011 - 03:12 AM.

#7 ItsMoonie

ItsMoonie

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 03:24 AM

Every 3d game is a wow clone.

That however doesn't mean they are not worth playing or not fun to play.

#8 Hrishi

Hrishi

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2365 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 28 December 2011 - 03:49 AM

The problem with Gravity Korea and their game devs is that they never really have been able to grasp or understand what made RO popular (well as it once was) or why it still has a somewhat of a dedicated following globally. The first aborted attempt at RO2, Gates of the World was a complete debacle and really highlighted that total non-understanding of what made RO special. The new RO2 is not going to be much better. I have less than zero interest in a WoW clone with a superficial Ragnarok themed skin. I will however probably play the original RO (Well as original as it can be with Renewal) until they 'pull the plug'. RO2 could have been so much more, but it will ultimately be another abysmal failure for Gravity.

Couldn't have put it better myself. It's evidently clear that the devs did SOMETHING right with RO, and they don't even understand what it is. I have zero interest in RO2, but I will support/play RO till it's dead.

#9 LeonFlare

LeonFlare

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 955 posts
  • Twitter:https://twitter.com/thenagrarok
  • LocationMOOTXICO!
  • Server:Valkyrie Forever

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:04 AM

Every 3d game is a wow clone.

Ocarina of Time too? damm :C

#10 ItsMoonie

ItsMoonie

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:32 AM

Ocarina of Time too? damm :C

Derp.
I meant every 3d mmo obv.

But yea all mmo's are essentially the same person wearing a different dress.
Just pick the dress you like to wear.

#11 Miyuki

Miyuki

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • LocationUnderground

Posted 28 December 2011 - 05:12 AM

I've seen unique 3D MMOs, but those doesn't last. You gotta be a WoW clone to stand any chance in Asia, apparently.

#12 Schmierig

Schmierig

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 78 posts
  • Server:Ymir, fRO Chaos

Posted 28 December 2011 - 05:43 AM

I played RO2 for a while now and I think it's pretty fun until now.

I don't know if it's because of the Beta or the challenge to be as fast as possible to discover everything in the short time.
But I can say that this game is not a WoW clone. I played WoW for 4 years, and I can say what it similiar to WoW and what is not.

RO2 is similiar to Fiesta (RO2 is better tbh) and Flyff (both old games though), despite some bugs it's very fun to play if you are into this kind of games. Though it is not Ragnarok 1, that's why it is friggin named Ragnarok 2 :-/

#13 refuselife

refuselife

I am New.

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:22 AM

have u played Lord of the Rings Online? or Runes of Magic?, or Rose?, or Eden Eternal? OR ANY OTHER WoW CLONE?!? well ro2 is the same, THE SAME! Skill bar in the bottom, 4 bags (1already obtained, the other 3 from kafra shop im pretty sure about that) character info top left on the screen, quest display on the right ...

Really, its like playing the same game with a diferent skin ... even the characters acts like any of theese games, click on the enemy, character approach, boring face to face battle, rinse and repeat ... geez ...

your thoughts?

BUT if u want to get a idea what im talking about, lets take another game and just look and decide which one is more fun ...

Gravity OUTSOURCED BLIZZARD to help finish RO2 after their FIRST ATTEMPT failed, it wouldn't surprise me it LOOKS the same.
I read about it on MMOSite back in 2008 it made me LOL, LOL, LOL!

#14 Wiggles

Wiggles

Awarded #1 Troll

• Banned
  • 844 posts
  • Server:Ymir (Retired)

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:56 AM

Gravity OUTSOURCED BLIZZARD to help finish RO2 after their FIRST ATTEMPT failed, it wouldn't surprise me it LOOKS the same.
I read about it on MMOSite back in 2008 it made me LOL, LOL, LOL!

Pretty sure it was a US branch, that had nothing to do with RO or RO2.. and they fell on their face after a few months.

Asian game development theory - Spend as little resources on the game as possible. Ship it. Even if we only sell a few items in the cash shop, it doesn't matter, it didn't cost much to make. Start working on the next project.
(PS: Not a troll. It's true. I've worked with Asian developers here who think like that. I have to DRILL into them the phrase QUALITY OVER QUANTITY.)

Edit:
Thought I would just post this. http://www.addicting...games/index.jsp
See how much those games differ.

Edited by Wiggles, 28 December 2011 - 07:06 AM.

#15 Codface

Codface

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:43 AM

Ppl want RO 1 with hd graphics. Enemies that occupy multiple cells and a quest system thats not tagged on at end.

Seriously whats so hard about it.

#16 Kuwano

Kuwano

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:59 AM

It's as much WoW clone as WoW is a clone of countless MMO's before it. You see, it's a genre that was already shaped a while ago, and things like skill bar in the bottom part of the screen is it's usual attributes. It's like blaming any new FPS that it has first person view camera and guns in the bottom part of the screen, omg, it's like a clone of Doom. While I agree that it's about time to bring some fresh ideas to the genre, it can't be totally new and don't look like 90% other MMO's. And it's only natural. What makes people prefer one game to another is the universe it's going on in, with it's unique atmosphere and/or story.

PS: WoW didn't invent anything in a genre and is a worthless game, which success is mostly provided by two words - "Blizzard" and "Warcraft". Not more, not less.

#17 captainmaverick

captainmaverick

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:17 AM

your thoughts?

Quit your whining. There's only so many changes that anyone can make to an MMORPG. I mean it's an MMORPG, a role playing game. It's not SUPER HAXX GALAXY BATTLEZZZZZZ YEAHHHH! I mean... RO1 was created before WoW. You, "click on the enemy, character approach, boring face to face battle, rinse and repeat." So by your logic WoW is a clone of RO1? The only difference between WoW and RO1? 2D vs 3D.

I mean, I'm pretty sure if any MMORPG game was real life I would have a bag, I would have my skills in mind, I would pay attention to my energy, and I would be on a quest. I mean anyone else have any other possibility in mind?

Come on bro... you expect too much from today's technology. I mean we have made HUGE advancements in the past 15 years. Would you rather play pac man? I wouldn't. Either invent your own time machine to go to the future or quit playing video games.

#18 Rafa07

Rafa07

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 909 posts
  • Server:Valkyrie/Classic

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:19 AM

i played i tested and i uninstall it

#19 Okii

Okii

Too Legit To Quit

• Banned
  • 1733 posts
  • LocationAppleton, WI

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:20 AM

Quit your whining. There's only so many changes that anyone can make to an MMORPG. I mean it's an MMORPG, a role playing game. It's not SUPER HAXX GALAXY BATTLEZZZZZZ YEAHHHH! I mean... RO1 was created before WoW. You, "click on the enemy, character approach, boring face to face battle, rinse and repeat." So by your logic WoW is a clone of RO1? The only difference between WoW and RO1? 2D vs 3D.

I mean, I'm pretty sure if any MMORPG game was real life I would have a bag, I would have my skills in mind, I would pay attention to my energy, and I would be on a quest. I mean anyone else have any other possibility in mind?

Come on bro... you expect too much from today's technology. I mean we have made HUGE advancements in the past 15 years. Would you rather play pac man? I wouldn't. Either invent your own time machine to go to the future or quit playing video games.

Posted Image

#20 Kuwano

Kuwano

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:27 AM

I wouldn't really compare RO1 to WoW, there are a bit more differences than just 2D and 3D, but yeah, you got the idea, MMO RPG is MMO RPG and lots of similarities between any of them is a natural thing. I'd rather mention Dark Age of Camelot, both Everquests, maybe even Lineage to certain extent. What's even more funny, none of the new MMO RPGs managed to surpass crafting, harvesting and training systems from something very old like Ultima Online that came out back in 1997.

What's wrong with the pac-man by the way? It's very entertaining even today, sometimes.

Edited by Kuwano, 28 December 2011 - 10:31 AM.

#21 TrueMaster

TrueMaster

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 453 posts
  • LocationFar Northern California
  • Server:Valkyrie->Chaos

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:35 AM

Tbh no one really does the retro new 2d games ever. I don't know if the format really works and we just want to believe it does. There is a bunch of games i want them to make sequels to but not really change the presentation of the game and just update the graphics while still keeping it 2d. Then again though, every time I've ever played a remake or game presented like this I've been disappointed.

I really actually liked the beta from the few hours i got to play it, and sure it is a wow clone but wow is a good game. there was enough differences for me to see it as a different game to wow at least.

#22 captainmaverick

captainmaverick

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:41 AM

I wouldn't really compare RO1 to WoW, there are a bit more differences than just 2D and 3D, but yeah, you got the idea, MMO RPG is MMO RPG and lots of similarities between any of them is a natural thing. I'd rather mention Dark Age of Camelot, both Everquests, maybe even Lineage to certain extent. What's even more funny, none of the new MMO RPGs managed to surpass crafting, harvesting and training systems from something very old like Ultima Online that came out back in 1997.

What's wrong with the pac-man by the way? It's very entertaining even today, sometimes.

I'm just talking about the basic mechanics of an MMORPG which this guy seems to be hating on. I mean WoW has many more features than RO1 but the mechanics of fighting are basically the same. U either hit an enemy with a stick or you cast a spell.

But nothing is wrong with pac-man, it's just based on his assessment he must hate pac-man. But I'd rather play an MMORPG than pretty much any other game, especially pac-man. That's just my preference.

And there is a large difference from this game and WoW. You can actually place stat points in RO2. WoW is so stupid they can't even choose builds cuz every class has set stats.

Edited by captainmaverick, 28 December 2011 - 10:43 AM.

#23 HRdevil

HRdevil

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1165 posts
  • LocationMassachusets
  • Server:IRO Valkyrie

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:43 AM

When RO1 dies i won't even touch RO2. I'll just flow on a different wave~

#24 Kitten

Kitten

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3077 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:54 AM

RO2 is going to have very little in the way of staying power, that's very clear to see.

#25 IronPlushy

IronPlushy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1747 posts
  • Server:Between Servers

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:12 PM

If you didn't grow up with Pac-Man, you're not going to like Pac-Man it's a very old, dated game. If you grew up on Mario 64, you probably don't like Super Mario Bros. Classic doesn't mean anything anymore, a game has to be truly brilliant to be classic instead of dated. SMB was great for its time, no one's arguing that, but that was a long time ago.

RO was an amazing MMO for it's time, it has amazing fundamentals, but it fails very hard, and if you don't believe that, I suggest you look at the ingame population. There are just downright terrible games that have more players. RO is fundamentally sound, but the development and management have dragged it to hell. It deserves to be so much more popular, but one of it's biggest flaws is that it's so off putting to new players.

WoW is insanely popular for a reason. It is fundamentally sound, before Cataclysm development was managed well. It has decent graphics, a massive world, lots of skills, classes, and races. The tutorial is so engaging and user friendly, so well thought out. A very deep lore that you can actually read about on its homepage. I mean it's intriguing, someone put a lot of thought into the history of the WoW universe AND YOU CAN READ ABOUT IT. RO has about two paragraphs of history you can read on the homepage. I know there's a deeper story, and only a handful of people know what it is. A deep, ACCESSIBLE lore immerses people into the game's universe.

To pretend similar HUD's make games identical is retarded. Putting a heath bar at the bottom left instead of the top right doesn't :o change anything. Yes they're similar, at the very core most games are similar. But generic 3D MMOs and WoW are so vastly different in so many aspects. And there's a reason WoW is insanely popular, it's a good game. The only terrible games that are popular are zombie games. Part of WoW's popularity is from Blizzard's amazing track record, but you sound retarded when you say a terrible game is popular because it's developer makes excellent games. Bethesda made Hunted, do you even know what Hunted is?

Is LoL insanely popular because Blizzard is popular? That's interesting...LoL is the biggest thing right now, and it isn't a clone. Yeah there's health and mana bars, and they are somewhere on the screen that may in fact be the same place as another game, but that doesn't make it a ;) clone.

As far as RO2 is concerned, if they took all the depth of the stat/skill/class system and made it into a functional 3D MMO in the vein of WoW, you would have a :an: hit on your hands. If they took everything that is right with WoW, and removed the balances and market problems of RO, you would have an incredible game. Make an engaging tutorial, it's not impossible, not by a long shot. Make classes balanced, it's possible, look at the fundamental paradigms of classes. I'll :D list them again if you want me to.

There are still amazing games out there. Have you played Bubble Tanks 2? That game is :D raw. Have you played Desktop Dungeon? It is so well done. Very simple, yet profound games. RO has so many things that these modern games lack. It has more customization than Skyrim. It has more classes than WoW. It has so much to give, but it is strangled but its fatal flaws.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users