"New players can do 99 trans in under a week" - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * * - 4 votes

"New players can do 99 trans in under a week"

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 MizunoAoi

MizunoAoi

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 587 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos and Loki

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:03 PM

tl;dr: How would a new person get so far so fast, lacking gear, zeny, and knowledge?

I see something akin to the topic title almost daily anymore. But it seem to come from established players who aren't starting a new character from scratch and not helping it out to test this idea. It seem to come from hearsay, somewhat.

Let's think some. Assume the following:
New player
On Yimr
Has VIP
No BMs aside from the two old ones you get on new character creation
Doesn't do cash shop

Do you really think they can get to 99 trans in under a week, assuming they're kind of hardcore and play 10 hours a day? But they don't know the best places to go nor how to make a ton of zeny. They do use the Eden group sign board quests though. They don't dual client so no Kaahi or heal/buff slave.

So they have, at best, Eden Group gear. Can't afford the 3-6 million zeny player sold elemental weapons. And even when they reach the appropriate level TI parties won't have them because, maybe they're not a desirable class.

I'm just wondering because I made a new account, didn't help it out, and got a mage to a level 81 wizard in three days of casual play, mostly in part to the 2x and easier new character leveling. However my melee newbies are having a lot of difficulty. And I know what I'm doing for the most part. This claim seems a bit far fetched to me. I even made about a quarter mil thanks to buy shops. Woo, potion money! Actually, I kill groves for the healing stuff they drop. >.>

Also, I actually got a friend of mine to join the game. He knew nothing. I helped him and even gave him gear and zeny. But when trying to play on his own when I wasn't logged on proved too difficult and, well, not fun to him, and he's quit already.

So, in your opinion, what would it take for an actual new person to go so far so fast? I think it's doable in a month of serious play. But anything less, no, much longer for an actual new person to get anywhere, especially now, with the changes.

#2 Okii

Okii

Too Legit To Quit

• Banned
  • 1733 posts
  • LocationAppleton, WI
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:15 PM

Edit: Before Balance patch/monster buffs:
Yes.
I started playing and without even knowing Eden existed, or having any in-game friends, I got to 92 trans in ~4 days.
After I made friends and had a goal in mind, I set out to make a RG in 5 days.
I still did not know about Eden :s
This was my first third class character and I got her to 102 in just under 6 days with very little knowledge of the game.

I did start playing with my roommate, however.
We did not have manuals of any kind, or kafra items beyond lite blue pots.
Purchasing kafra items to sell for decent gears in game was how we got our gears, but in the beginning we did buy zeny without thinking much of it; Valkyrie can be a bad place for a newer player to start off because of this.
After being punished we decided to actually work for our stuff and since then we have earned every bit of what we have.

Without Kafra gears to sell, no.
Because now, with the monster buffs... I would have quit this game so fast with all the constant disappointments.
Forums really didn't help my views on the game either, and I imagine they do little good for newer players as well.
I also heard that the experience you receive from monsters until third class will be almost halved, if not more than that.
Could be a rumor but who knows.
One bad decision after the next, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Edited by Okii, 28 December 2011 - 08:29 PM.

#3 Skeetermelvi

Skeetermelvi

I am New.

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Server:Valkyrie -> Iris -> Ymir

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:24 PM

"Let's think some. Assume the following:
New player
On Yimr
Has VIP
Doesn't do cash shop"

"Purchasing kafra items to sell for decent gears in game was how we got our gears, but in the beginning we did buy zeny without thinking much of it; Valkyrie can be a bad place for a newer player to start off because of this."

#4 IronPlushy

IronPlushy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1747 posts
  • Server:Between Servers

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:27 PM

92 trans in 4 days? Oh wait you played with a friend and sold Kafra items....
Took me about 3 weeks to get 90 normal battle priest not knowing what I was doing, a legitimate new player experience. There was an experience event but I didn't know anything about eden hunting missions. I got the eden gear and just used the world map to find places to grind. If there wasn't an exp event I would have quit the game then. I don't play 10 hours a day cuz that's sad and unreasonable to think a person who just started a game would grind the hell out of it. I mean you grind games you like, not a game you just started. If you played 10 hours a day you get home from work at 6 pm and play to 4 am, then sleep 3 hours and go to work or school?

#5 Mowi

Mowi

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:28 PM

I did it without the cash shop, but I also joined in a 2x week (Thanksgiving), went straight to Eden because guides said to, and then learned about TIs at about the late 80s of 2nd job.

I didn't make much money or have any gear, but leveling (at least) was easy enough.

Edit: oh... but I wasn't new to RO, only to iRO. ;/

Pft then iunno.

Edited by Mowi, 28 December 2011 - 06:29 PM.

#6 Okii

Okii

Too Legit To Quit

• Banned
  • 1733 posts
  • LocationAppleton, WI

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:29 PM

"Let's think some. Assume the following:
New player
On Yimr
Has VIP
Doesn't do cash shop"

"Purchasing kafra items to sell for decent gears in game was how we got our gears, but in the beginning we did buy zeny without thinking much of it; Valkyrie can be a bad place for a newer player to start off because of this."

After third class.
Before then, no.

besides, with the monster buffs, it would be more difficult.
Also, experience given being almost halved, it wouldn't be possible for a NEW player.
Someone else can go test this because I do not play the game anymore to level.

If you think I did not read her entire post, you are wrong, but thanks for being a jackass :o

92 trans in 4 days? Oh wait you played with a friend and sold Kafra items....
Took me about 3 weeks to get 90 normal battle priest not knowing what I was doing, a legitimate new player experience. There was an experience event but I didn't know anything about eden hunting missions. I got the eden gear and just used the world map to find places to grind. If there wasn't an exp event I would have quit the game then. I don't play 10 hours a day cuz that's sad and unreasonable to think a person who just started a game would grind the hell out of it. I mean you grind games you like, not a game you just started. If you played 10 hours a day you get home from work at 6 pm and play to 4 am, then sleep 3 hours and go to work or school?

I have all day to play.
Sue me?
I mean I understand not everyone is free all day long everyday to do what they want but a highly doubt a completely new player would stick around to play this game if they are alone and do not buy kafra items.

Edited by Okii, 28 December 2011 - 06:31 PM.

#7 MizunoAoi

MizunoAoi

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 587 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:40 PM

I'm getting an overall, no, it's not possible from you guys.

Not without some help of some kind.

#8 Okii

Okii

Too Legit To Quit

• Banned
  • 1733 posts
  • LocationAppleton, WI

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:43 PM

I'm getting an overall, no, it's not possible from you guys.

Not without some help of some kind.

That is what I was getting at.
Without the use of real money or being a returning player of some sort, no.
A new player would most likely not gain an intense interest in the game when alone, and would definitely not go the extra mile to level to 99 trans in a week or less.
The game is very confusing without the use of outside sources and really, I'm not trying to say that RO sucks, but in it's current state, I couldn't see it happening.
New players do not roll around very often either :\

#9 Chigikogou

Chigikogou

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1778 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:47 PM

it is impossible not to do cash shop.

Because it is Ymir. VIP subscription costs 700 WPE 300 left for KP.
with 300 kp you can buy 1 rental weapon and atleast 10 Siege potion boxes.

Anyways back to the topic.
No and Yes. You can level 99 a whole week (actually lesser) with those points.
Depending the player too though.

#10 Scuba

Scuba

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3225 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:48 PM

You can do it. But its god awful and any new RPG tester-floater-drifter would never stay that long in a game like this (no offense?). Prospective players would not usually dump money into a game they have no stake in, despite how easy paying to win is. Starting out (legit) is stupid hard. Making alts once established is stupid easy. I deleted my RK today, and made a 1-99 Ninja in 4-5 hours (I know because of the number of times I got eden food).

#11 AimeeZ

AimeeZ

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 07:21 PM

btw- a friend with godly and mvp'd gears went from level 1 novice to 99 trans in less than half a day.

#12 Kadnya

Kadnya

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3395 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 07:29 PM

Last week I tried testing if indeed it was possible to do the 1-99 trans in a week. Obviously I'm not a new player nor I can delete what knowledge I got from RO, but using only Eden gear, and a few potion boxes, it took me about six~eight hours to reach 99 trans. I did use some 3x manuals, but still, even if all the time was on manuals, 20~hours of playtime in a week is possible for someone determined enough.

Also, the other day I made a ninja in a day for today woe, and in the same day got her mercenary loyalty to max.

#13 MizunoAoi

MizunoAoi

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 587 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 07:50 PM

Last week I tried testing if indeed it was possible to do the 1-99 trans in a week. Obviously I'm not a new player nor I can delete what knowledge I got from RO, but using only Eden gear, and a few potion boxes, it took me about six~eight hours to reach 99 trans. I did use some 3x manuals, but still, even if all the time was on manuals, 20~hours of playtime in a week is possible for someone determined enough.

Also, the other day I made a ninja in a day for today woe, and in the same day got her mercenary loyalty to max.

Again, you had "help" and from what you posted, a lot of it.

An honest to God new player would have the resources, knowledge, zeny, or gear to pull this off. So I don't understand why people assume it's new players racing to high levels.

#14 IronPlushy

IronPlushy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1747 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:03 PM

An honest to God new player would have the resources, knowledge, zeny, or gear to pull this off. So I don't understand why people assume it's new players racing to high levels.

It's obvious people are idiots. Everytime they say they tested it they use all this help.
"I only used a merc, a few potion boxes, and only a few 3XBM", "I played with a friend, sold kafra items, and bought zenny" they're so :o dumb, reading comprehension on the internet is at an intense minimum. And no new player can make a ninja. They would get 100 shurikens, run out, and not be able to get back to Amatsu, and if they did they wouldn't have enough money to buy proper kunais. Not to mention the job change requirements to be a ninja.
Not to mention this "testing" went on during an exp event. And it should be noted it's twice as easy to get to 70 now because of the new early exp rates.

#15 Okii

Okii

Too Legit To Quit

• Banned
  • 1733 posts
  • LocationAppleton, WI

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:07 PM

It's obvious people are idiots. Everytime they say they tested it they use all this help.
"I only used a merc, a few potion boxes, and only a few 3XBM", "I played with a friend, sold kafra items, and bought zenny" they're so :o dumb, reading comprehension on the internet is at an intense minimum. And no new player can make a ninja. They would get 100 shurikens, run out, and not be able to get back to Amatsu, and if they did they wouldn't have enough money to buy proper kunais. Not to mention the job change requirements to be a ninja.
Not to mention this "testing" went on during an exp event. And it should be noted it's twice as easy to get to 70 now because of the new early exp rates.

Only used some MVP geared items and god items ;3
However, if I was a new player and someone came and just handed those items over to me and then gave me all the outside sources I would ever need, a full leveling guide to be beastly, and manuals i would not complain.
I would play the game until I fell over dead and I would thank that person everyday for their generosity xD

But let's have a reality check here people.
When i was a new player, I was lost in Geffen.
If my roommate and I hadn't played it together I would not have stuck around to see 99 because there are so many ways to mess up on your first character.
With no knowledge of the game it is HIGHLY unlikely that a player would get to 99 in under a week, let alone make a friend or get into a guild.

#16 IronPlushy

IronPlushy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1747 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:16 PM

Someone, I don't remember their name, had their friend play test RO without any help and observed and recorded the experience. Like their journey to first job change if they make it that far. You CAN'T tell them where to level, how to allocate their stat points, what class to pick, or how to get any missions. You can show them how to enter Eden AND THAT'S IT. You show them playraganrok.com and the rest is left up to them. They can use the forums for help, but don't urge them to use the forums or what questions to ask. You CAN'T tell them about ragial or irowiki unless it's discovered another way.

This is to simulate the new player experience. Make note of their class choice, stat and skill allocation, and all mistakes they made. People play for years, start an alt, and then say how easy it is. It's self-serving stupidity.

#17 shurareki

shurareki

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 421 posts
  • Server:valk

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:18 PM

no it is not possible for a non educated 1st time player to reach 99 trans in under a week
if they do its because
1. they have a friend that plays
2. played in the past
3. bought cash shop
4. know about IRO wiki
and these are all things truly new players rarely know about.

#18 Kadnya

Kadnya

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3395 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:24 PM

I didn't use a merc to level, so the only help would be the kafra shop potions. In short, the game experience is like:

Paying

- Game Speed: ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
- Fun: +++++++ for the first days, then ++

Not paying

- Game Speed: +++++++++++++
- Fun: +++ the first days, then ?

I don't see how could someone without VIP, manuals, and kafrashop in general could still be playing the game after the first month. If a new, new, totally new player got to max level asap, they would probably quit the game faster than they started.

#19 Wiggles

Wiggles

Awarded #1 Troll

• Banned
  • 844 posts
  • Server:Ymir (Retired)

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:26 PM

With help, I could 99 in less than 8 hours pre-balance patch. Then another day to 99 trans.
Did it at least 3 times on on 2 LK's and a Sader, and helped a bunch of friends do it. Any of them can attest to this.

Without help, I've only ever tried once. All of my accounts got banned, so I had to start with a brand new account.

It took me around a week to get level 120 Shadow Chaser. Then another week to get to 145 (Ice Titan turnins!) then 1 day from 145-150 (Abyss turnins!)
Only "Help" I received was Blueness loaned me a Quad Malicious Composite Bow. However, in exchange for this I leeched their AB for 5 levels, and went on share for another 5.

All it takes is knowledge on where to level. Which is why I made the EXP Scaler.

#20 Okii

Okii

Too Legit To Quit

• Banned
  • 1733 posts
  • LocationAppleton, WI

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:27 PM

Someone, I don't remember their name, had their friend play test RO without any help and observed and recorded the experience. Like their journey to first job change if they make it that far. You CAN'T tell them where to level, how to allocate their stat points, what class to pick, or how to get any missions. You can show them how to enter Eden AND THAT'S IT. You show them playraganrok.com and the rest is left up to them. They can use the forums for help, but don't urge them to use the forums or what questions to ask. You CAN'T tell them about ragial or irowiki unless it's discovered another way.

This is to simulate the new player experience. Make note of their class choice, stat and skill allocation, and all mistakes they made. People play for years, start an alt, and then say how easy it is. It's self-serving stupidity.

I remember this, and it's actually very interesting for them to have done this.
I kinda feel bad for the player though because they knew they were a guinea pig, but I almost feel like GM's should pay more attention to the play styles of new players.
Kinda watch them and see what they do, if they can, Learn a lot from it.
This group of players signing up to help new players is awesome though.

#21 ItsMoonie

ItsMoonie

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:37 PM

Possible but, on average 1-2 weeks is more likely.
My first character on iro was a dancer on ygg, when the server was fairly new, so there was no way to buy any awesome gears or anything.
I lv'd alone and didn't buy kafra until I was 3rd job, which took me between 1-2 weeks to get to.

(I had some minor experience from playing other servers in the past)

- There was an exp event on at the time though if I remember correctly.

Edited by ItsMoonie, 28 December 2011 - 08:42 PM.

#22 Azyrk

Azyrk

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1884 posts
  • Server:Yggdrasil

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:45 PM

When my girlfriend and I first joined, we were lost. It took us days just to reach level 50. I'd say it was about a 3 weeks until we rebirthed. Then, once we rebirthed we moved a lot faster through it. I was a high wizard for about a week and a half. Now, with the right resources, I can 99 in a day if I really wanted to. But, that's only because I know what to do now. I know WHERE to grind and get buffs and what not. Plus, I have loads of resources that make leveling lower levels less of a drag. It's funny, when I was leveling my Wizard before I rebirthed, I completely relied on a party for leveling. I was poor and couldn't afford loads of pots, I wasn't VIP at the time so dying was 3 steps back, and I was so darn squishy that I'd lose 25% of my HP to one hit. But, as I was leveling my high wizard for event WoE, I found my self easily soloing dark priests; mobbing them up and gusting them away. Now, I have high-end gear, pots, and a better leveling build.

Unless the person is used to similar style games, I'd say they couldn't level as fast as an experienced RO player could. Knowledge is probably one of the biggest things that helps. Just knowing Eden is there and the best grinding spots is enough for an easier experience. Most new players are going to be lost initially.

#23 iiNote

iiNote

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1148 posts
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:08 PM

I just made a Mechanic today, it took me.. like... 5-7 days? VIP and Eden quests FTW, you don't really need kafra shop items to hit 99 fast.

#24 akshay041195

akshay041195

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:11 PM

Of course, its possible. I got my GX trans in 4 days. And I am 120 now. Still on eden gear.
2*EXP was on that time though.
Though, GX are really easy to level. These TI's make it really easy. And I have not used a single BM yet. Neither do I play all day long.

P.S Neither am I VIP.

Edited by akshay041195, 28 December 2011 - 09:11 PM.

#25 Furinkazan

Furinkazan

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:20 PM

quit thinking "99" is some holy grail of RO because you grew up with it. Things changed, getting 99 is the same as getting 2nd class 10 years ago. Let the noobs explore RO. Treat them to a grind fest and they'll go back to the private servers :o.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users