They should just scratch RO2 - Page 2 - Ragnarok 2 Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

They should just scratch RO2

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
68 replies to this topic

#26 Gamerstud

Gamerstud

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • LocationThe Desert

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:17 PM

An updated version of RO1 simply wouldn't be a big enough deal to be worth the cost.

RO was a fun game, and very unique compared to other MMOs of it's time. But it's a game that could only have worked in it's time. An revision of RO1 released today would just be mehh. Only so much you can do with sprites and an overheard 3d view.

I've waited on RO2 for way too long to hope RO1 can ever recover the original charm it's gradually lost over the years.

#27 Okii

Okii

Too Legit To Quit

• Banned
  • 1733 posts
  • LocationAppleton, WI
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:21 PM

I think there is a definite opportunity to introduce a new generation of gamers to the universe of Ragnarok Online with the second game. If it can bring in people who played RO years ago but are looking for a 3d game, get us some publicity and do well for Gravity HQ it's something that is going to help RO1.

A game that's going to have voice acting, cutscenes and 3d is a lot easier to advertise nowadays. I personally prefer the unique FF Tactics-style sprites on 3D backgrounds look of this game, but I can understand why HQ would want to build on a 3d framework.

I felt like I was playing Final Fantasy... I said that to my guild and I'm surprised you brought it up here.
I like RO2.
I enjoy questing as the main way to level up. You know, instead of turn ins and grinding.
The game is beautiful. I know it's lacking that original RO charm that veteran players looked for, but RO does too. People want to knock RO2 off without trying it, go ahead but I know for a fact that this game will surpass RO1 and most likely steal a lot of its playerbase.
Newer generations of players not only like 3D graphics but also expect it, and RO2 is very well drawn and animated.
I don't even have to know Korean to figure out how to play the game because the functions are fairly simple and most things just take common sense and figuring out which button does what.

Maybe most of you are hating on it because your computer cannot run it on full graphics.
Hear a lot of references to WoW... I dunno. I don't feel it.
I see it, but I don't feel it.

No need to hate on the game, guys.
Just don't play it and report whatever bugs you found in the forum topic made for bug reports.
Simple.

Edited by Okii, 29 December 2011 - 05:30 PM.

#28 sabjoo

sabjoo

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:26 PM

let me know when any current 3DMMO can handle this type of thing and this many people in one place at one time. (RO1 as it is can barely keep up with it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzSedV9cWl0

That was the good ol' days 2005-7? when WoE was fun and competitive. I'll have to agree I highly doubt that most of those players still play today especially when renewal happened.

#29 TrueMaster

TrueMaster

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 453 posts
  • LocationFar Northern California
  • Server:Valkyrie->Chaos

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:32 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzSedV9cWl0

The vent commentary is just so unbelievably hilarious. I love the part where just in the middle of all the choas "who the puppy warping to payon."

#30 ChrisWintermoon

ChrisWintermoon

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 606 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Server:Ymir (VIP)

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:35 PM

That was the good ol' days 2005-7? when WoE was fun and competitive. I'll have to agree I highly doubt that most of those players still play today especially when renewal happened.

true story bro...

Gravity tried to make everything better with Renewal and fixing some broken stuff but all they success with so far was killing the game for the majority of the playerbase :)
Am I the only one thinking that Renewal was like the start of the ending? Population dropped a lot after Renewal got introduced ...

#31 Furinkazan

Furinkazan

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:38 PM

Maybe most of you are hating on it because your computer cannot run it on full graphics.
Hear a lot of references to WoW... I dunno. I don't feel it.
I see it, but I don't feel it.

No need to hate on the game, guys.
Just don't play it and report whatever bugs you found in the forum topic made for bug reports.
Simple.

Are you kidding? Even with full graphic setting, the game looks incredibly outdated compares to RO2 or Aion... and it doesn't feel like RO, it feels like Rose Online... so now if it doesn't feel like RO to draw old players, and inferior to other games of its class to draw new players... where is this game heading????

#32 Schmierig

Schmierig

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 78 posts
  • Server:Ymir, fRO Chaos

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:42 PM

The game isn't aimed at high quality graphics like RIFT or Aion.

Everyone here played RO and now you are complaining because the RO2 graphics are a bit outdated?
Srsly, it's about the fun, not the graphics, you all should know that.

#33 lainee

lainee

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 729 posts
  • LocationOceanic Eternity

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:46 PM

Gravity tried to make everything better with Renewal and fixing some broken stuff but all they success with so far was killing the game for the majority of the playerbase :)

Because Renewal should have been RO2 - updated engine and graphics, bug fixes and balance and carry on from there.

#34 recolector22

recolector22

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 53 posts
  • Server:Valky

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:47 PM

The game isn't aimed at high quality graphics like RIFT or Aion.

Everyone here played RO and now you are complaining because the RO2 graphics are a bit outdated?
Srsly, it's about the fun, not the graphics, you all should know that.

yes is about fun!
still i feel like is not RO
could be a different tittle? i mean create just another game
seriously RO is a big name to have in your shoulders and this game just doesnt have it, in other words i just dont feel like im playing RO anymore
----------
on the side note
whats the deal with all the renewal hate? is was a change yes. it was so bad?

Edited by recolector22, 29 December 2011 - 05:48 PM.

#35 sabjoo

sabjoo

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:52 PM

I don't care about graphics or playing a 3D mmo. If I did I wouldn't be playing NIS America games or anything near those things but I do because I love 2D/3Ds. What I care about is how much fun is in a game, yes fun can mean endless grinding in FF, pokemon, and every Tales Of _________ game to shooters and the old arcade games.

#36 AhinaReyoh

AhinaReyoh

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1088 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:54 PM

If they were going to seriously work on RO1, they'd probably have to rebuild the game's engine from the ground up, and I don't mean just the graphics. The current engine is missing support for all kinds of stuff like GUIs for upgrading and such. No small task, and if I recall, Gravity Korea has been getting worried that their business is almost entirely dependent on RO1 still after all these years.

#37 Schmierig

Schmierig

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 78 posts
  • Server:Ymir, fRO Chaos

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:56 PM

When I play RO2 I feel like playing RO2, if I wanted to play RO(1) SE I would play RO(1) SE, but I don't want to.

RO2 is picking up the background story and feeling (not gameplaywise) that RO(1) left behind. Because of that I feel like playing Ragnarok once again, but not a remade version of RO(1).

That's not what you should've expected.

#38 shurareki

shurareki

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 421 posts
  • Server:valk

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:03 PM

the renewal change killed the game for alot of hardcore players was it a needed change that's debatable people wanted it people didn't.
the fact is the way this current RO is going it will not have the player base it did back then so there is no point in that argument no amount of graphical tweaks will fix that.
that being said its still a great game and in my opinion RO is a staple of MMORPG's every time i talk about MMORPG's i bring up Ragnarok.
it seems like you would all be happier if they just named it something else. and as far as im concerned about the Aion and FFIVX is concerned it doesnt hold water because those are pay to play games they have much more funding. and look at FFIVX hardly anyone is playing it because the messed it up so bad that they had to make it free for now so people even try it. you all know graphics dont make a game so i dont even consider that a point. what graphics end up doing is entice people to play.
as far as RO2 goes it is very very noob friendly unlike RO and that will keep people playing.

#39 recolector22

recolector22

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 53 posts
  • Server:Valky

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:06 PM

When I play RO2 I feel like playing RO2, if I wanted to play RO(1) SE I would play RO(1) SE, but I don't want to.

RO2 is picking up the background story and feeling (not gameplaywise) that RO(1) left behind. Because of that I feel like playing Ragnarok once again, but not a remade version of RO(1).

That's not what you should've expected.

touche sir.

i have to agree. just two things

1.- RO1 is still a good game (renewal too).it just grew old.a 89 years old man trying to fight teenagers
2.- i miss the merchants,they are seriously the only class I can play in ro1 without getting bored out of my mind(maybe that the reason i dont like RO2)

Edited by recolector22, 29 December 2011 - 06:13 PM.

#40 TheSquishy

TheSquishy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1871 posts
  • LocationHawaii
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:21 PM

If they were going to seriously work on RO1, they'd probably have to rebuild the game's engine from the ground up, and I don't mean just the graphics. The current engine is missing support for all kinds of stuff like GUIs for upgrading and such. No small task, and if I recall, Gravity Korea has been getting worried that their business is almost entirely dependent on RO1 still after all these years.

The more I play RO2, the more I think rebuilding RO1 would be the better investment.
The money they spent on renewal and RO2 could have been used to build or buy a new engine for RO1.
Add layered sprites and that would solve a lot of issues the game currently faces with hard to implement
innovations. RO2 looks to be the same spectacular failure at converting its core audience as RO2.

The game is fun and pretty (when it's not having its many performance problems) but its Ragnarök only in name. I've never been one to shy away from something new.
It was the new but familiar feeling that originally enticed people to play WoW and
and FFXI.

Right now I feel like, krO wanted us to remember our old childhood friend steve
and how he's grown and become something rather sophisticated. But instead we get steve's ugly kid brother, similar to steve, but without any of the charm or nostalgic moments.

Edited by TheSquishy, 29 December 2011 - 06:32 PM.

#41 shurareki

shurareki

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:32 PM

The more I play RO2, the more I think rebuilding RO1 would be the better investment.
The money they spent on renewal and RO2 could have been used to build or buy a new engine for RO1.
Add layered sprites and that would solve a lot of issues the game currently faces with hard to implement
innovations. RO2 looks to be the same spectacular failure at converting its core audience as RO2.

The game is fun and pretty (when it's not having its many performance problems) but its Ragnarök only
in name.

layered sprites arent going to fix broken gameplay its just going to make a game Like the RO2 your describing a cute game to look at.
you do know that RO as it stands now cannot be fixed the out lash from people if they made drastic changes would kill it look what happens when they implement a lucky box or even a TI people go nuts.
as far as im concerned now RO is
TI grind fest
and a hope to WoE (new guilds cant even participate anymore.)
Party play is gone
MVP hunting is a joke
im not going to talk about the balance patch because it is too new to criticize. and i have faith that it will be fixed (on a side note did really need a icon to let us know we are sitting? was that really a problem for people?)
the best thing to do in this game now is help people but i dont really see much of that anymore.

#42 TheSquishy

TheSquishy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1871 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:49 PM

If you play enough MMOs, you soon see that among sprite based games, RO is the one to
be imitated.

ROs "broken gameplay" has more to do with stupid people being stupid and being unable to do basic math or making sure things work before they are added to the game.

This is separate from things like the GUI, limitation in RO's coding and many other under the hood changes that directly benefit developers and indirectly benefit the player base.

Gravity did something right with RO and they are struggling to recreate that success.
The company doesn't seem to have the talent to duplicate that initial success.
Fixing what you already have is sometimes, a better bang for your buck.

#43 Furinkazan

Furinkazan

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:08 PM

So, RO was such a fun game that we decided to forgive gravity for all the bugs, for all their lack of attention, for their conservative way of changes that only come from their HQ in Korea, you forgive all of that because RO's community, and the charming feel of the game itself, that set itself from anything that is on the market.

Now, enter RO2, look at feel like hundreds of other 3D games with a -_-ty engine. HQ is still in Korea. Do you really think they would let the international version run itself? Or do you think it will be the same KRO vs IRO situation we are seeing now, except in a game that looks like/worse than hundreds others on the market right now. Is it really worth trying just because the name is "Ragnarok Online"?

#44 joanne

joanne

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 572 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 06:22 AM

Well i cant think of that much to say but i tried out RO2 and I wanna switch to it from RO1 now it just caught me the grinding to lvl was annoyin gbut you get better as you lvld and the fact in RO1 i hate the card system i read some info on it for RO2 you dont even need to slot into armors. Theres alot that needed to be fixed and damage wise but hey most lvl 20 mages on RO1 cant kill like they can on RO2 sad really. I used to lvl with this one guy years ago he ended up playing on WoW cause he liked 3d games and now i tried RO2 i gotta say i agree. In the testing even my brother got interested mind you hes lazy and used to play RO1 alot too. But you need to admit RO1 is slowely dying out its a old game 2d is dying out lol and the upgrades you can add to 3d games get good look how many WoW gets. And i can honestly think of alot of idea RO2 can use to get better while RO1 you cant.

sry if im crap with writing lol never was good in english at school when ever i went lol

#45 Hrishi

Hrishi

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2365 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 06:30 AM

3D games such as RO2 are a dime a dozen. Why would people want to play RO2 with the millions of other 3D games out there? On the flip side, however, RO has a niche, the 2D sprite overhead view with really fun things such as WoE. Why gravity would NOT focus on improving this niche and instead try to compete with the standard MMO of today is completely beyond me. I have absolutely zero interest in RO2, but I will support RO till it's demise. If I wanted to play a 3D game, I'd be playing The Old Republic.

Edited by Hrishi, 30 December 2011 - 06:31 AM.

#46 cloudblue

cloudblue

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:34 AM

Its funny that just as gravity releasing this RO2 open beta that everything is braking apart in the original one. They should just work on the one that is successful now and stop throwing money at another generic 3D game...

Edited by cloudblue, 30 December 2011 - 07:46 AM.

#47 Okii

Okii

Too Legit To Quit

• Banned
  • 1733 posts
  • LocationAppleton, WI

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:59 AM

3D games such as RO2 are a dime a dozen. Why would people want to play RO2 with the millions of other 3D games out there? On the flip side, however, RO has a niche, the 2D sprite overhead view with really fun things such as WoE. Why gravity would NOT focus on improving this niche and instead try to compete with the standard MMO of today is completely beyond me. I have absolutely zero interest in RO2, but I will support RO till it's demise. If I wanted to play a 3D game, I'd be playing The Old Republic.

This isn't really a "defend which game you like best" topic.
Nobody is taking RO away from you.

And RO2 definitely has it's own unique look to it x3
Definitely a fun experience questing literally nonstop, and partying is simple and very rewarding... not to mention fun hehe :)
I hope the beta for us comes soon because I could literally play RO2 all day, nonstop :3

Holy moogles, did you guys see the items in the auction house on RO2 ayeayeaye!
Something to look forward to later on :]

#48 LadyRaven

LadyRaven

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationZoo Jersey, USA

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:10 AM

Hmmm...the whole "they should be improving RO rather than making RO2" argument reminds me of the classic "should we fix our 11 year old car, or should we get a newer one" debate.

Keep in mind, they have been working on RO2 for years, as most gaming companies tend to work on more than one game. This is why item-shop based mmo's (and even subscription mmo's) tend to be grouped with other mmo's that the developers have made/bought rights to. You'll see a compney with 4-5 different games to offer to players; think Warpportal, Perfect World Entertainment is another, Aeria Games is another, shoot even Blizzard doesn't just have WoW, but Starcraft and Diablo as well.

Personally, I could feel a bit of RO in RO2, due to the monster names, area names, and cute costume headgears. The familiarity of it stopped there, as it should.

It didn't feel like WoW to me. I can see where the kafra broom transportation and possibly the questing would make one think of WoW, but... there's a big difference in hopping on a broom for a few seconds, compared to 2 minute wyvern/griffon ride. And questing is questing, no matter what the game: it's grinding with a purpose; which does have a very large following in the gaming world.

To me, it felt like LOMA (Legend of Martial Arts)...but not quite so bubble gummy.

#49 AtlasThunderbeef

AtlasThunderbeef

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 905 posts
  • Server:iRO Chaos

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:10 AM

Woe used to be a way of the players to control the world, much like players in EVE Online police their own universe.

Now it's "pay the gods a little sumthin'sumthin' and you can rule it all".

#50 shurareki

shurareki

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:14 AM

i used to play ragnarok online hardcore but then i took renewal in the knee?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users