Warlock Comet Skill Build (PVM ONLY~) - Mage Class - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Warlock Comet Skill Build (PVM ONLY~)

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 SoJexy

SoJexy

I am New.

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:26 PM

Hey guys!! I'm almost at Warlock (took me a good 5 months! ><) and I can almost taste it. It actually made me realize that I should put some thought in my future build.

The following build is what I pieced together thanks to information from various threads. Keep in mind that this skill build is for PVM ONLY. Which means lite MVP-ing, but mostly for TI's and overall fun killing stuff. :3

Warlock Skill Build @ himeyasha

I was just wondering about a few things:
  • Why do we only put 2 points into Freezing Spell?
  • Is Earth Strain worth getting for PvM?
  • I see some builds max JT and others don't. Is this because Chain Lightning is so much better?
  • Is Heaven's Drive worthwhile for PvM scenarios?

Thanks for your time!

Edited by SoJexy, 04 February 2012 - 03:29 PM.

#2 Helios0

Helios0

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2425 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos (Yggdrasil☻RIP)

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:18 PM

• Why do we only put 2 points into Freezing Spell? = no clue probably to conform with a particular build (warlocks are stretched thin on skill points)
  • Is Earth Strain worth getting for PvM? = havent really used it much except when the free reset NPC was here, Tricky to aim. If you store and release it tho its easy to aim
  • I see some builds max JT and others don't. Is this because Chain Lightning is so much better? = early on JT is very nice i maxed it and it was usefull for a while. Chain lightning damage is far superior but not as spamable, other spells like Crimson rock DWARF JT dmg.. even against water creatures.... and much faster.. the only high wizard spells i really make use of nowadays are : Amplify Magic, Soul Drain, Quagmire, A spec i Tried sacrificed nearly all High wizard abilities xcept those in order to max out Firewall and Safety wall from the mage tree. harder to level with that build though, easier to respec into that later.. once SG, LOV, JT, etc are no longer relevant
  • Is Heaven's Drive worthwhile for PvM scenarios? = slow cast... mediocre damage, prefer Crimson rock..<3

Freezing Spell Slots = 4 + (4*Freezing Spell Lv) + (base level / 10) + (Base Int / 10)

at level 150
4 + (4*2) + 150/10 + 120/10
4 + 8 + 15 +12
12 + 27
39 slots

Comet - 22
Crimson Rock - 12
Chain Lightning - 12
Earth Strain - 12
Lord of Vermillion - 10
Storm Gust - 10
Jupitel Thunder - 9

Spellbooks can be obtained in geffen by various means, Comet book requires a quest that includes Thor's Volcano and El Dicastes and 1,000,000z or you can find someone who already has done the quest and they can buy another for you by putting theirs int he bank so the NPC recognizes that you dont have one.
Other spells can be purchased for a variety of items including : Money, obb's, OPB's Oridecon, or the one i used cuz i had a supply of them : FRAGMENTS (from juniperos)

****when you store a spell they enter a queue where the first spell releases is the last spell stored
(example readingspellbook:CRock --> readingspellbook:ChainL --> readingspellbook:ChainL = Release:ChainL, Release:ChainL, Release:CRock)

****when you release a spell, you invoke the after-skill delay of the spell released, and the spell you released enters into its cooldown if it has one.
However even if that skill is in cooldown, you can still cast reading spellbook and then release it allowing you to recast a spell through this that normally would be impossible to re-use quickly Like COMET

Hard Casting Comet
+++ Amplify-able
- - - SLOW cast
- - - Unable to recast right away due to 1 minute cooldown

Storing Comet + Releasing Comet
+++ cast time is only that of using Reading SPellbook, Releasing is instant
+++ possible to release 2 instant cast stored Comet Spells (once the aftercast delay fades) if you cast Reading spellbook and selected Comet Twice assuming you had enough slots to store 2 of them
- - - Not Amplify-able

Edited by Helios0, 04 February 2012 - 08:36 PM.

#3 SoJexy

SoJexy

I am New.

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:40 PM

Wow thanks Helios0 for such an informative post. I can see why Freezing Spell will only need two points... haha.

Just another quick question, what do you (and others) think of my build? Do you think it will perform well in a PvM setting?

Thanks again!!

#4 Tirasu

Tirasu

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 559 posts
  • LocationU.K
  • Server:Chaos- ohwait

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:53 AM

Best advice I can give: If you are getting reading spellbook, get it and release as your first two skills. That way you can instant-cast max level SG right off the bat which will make leveling to job 10 a breeze compared to rushing CR first. That and when you get CR maxed you'll be able to load that into release right away and have no problems. I did it with my build (except with Meteors instead, as I never took SG) and killing felt -so- much faster right after job change because of it.

Basically freezing spell by level when you're maxed can be put like this. -using the above formula-
1) Useless
2) 3x WL spells
3) Nothing important.
4) 2x Comet
5) 4x WL spells
.. more or less.

So in general, 2/4/5 are the ideal, depending on build. For a proper full comet build I -would- suggest squeezing points out to get it level 4 just for double-release. In my opinion for your build you can take the points out of recognise spell, and leave it at a lower level to hit that target. Everyone I've talked to about it says you only really need that at level 1 because it has a 60 second duration and a 50 second cooldown at that level (The wiki is wrong about it's duration) and that's frankly enough.

To answer your other questions, all wizard spells just pull too low damage to be much use past 110. Earth strain does alot of damage (easily on par with crimson rock) but it's individual delay is HORRIBLE. It's like 20 seconds before you can recast it making it had to level with. I mean you can get around it with releases but you'll rarely cast it amped which hinders it over the other three. People who have maxed JT mostly use it as a leveling tool as HW and are giving you the build as a "no resets from 1 to 150" guide.

Edited by Tirasu, 05 February 2012 - 06:06 AM.

#5 SoJexy

SoJexy

I am New.

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:14 PM

So in general, 2/4/5 are the ideal, depending on build. For a proper full comet build I -would- suggest squeezing points out to get it level 4 just for double-release. In my opinion for your build you can take the points out of recognise spell, and leave it at a lower level to hit that target. Everyone I've talked to about it says you only really need that at level 1 because it has a 60 second duration and a 50 second cooldown at that level (The wiki is wrong about it's duration) and that's frankly enough.

Oh wow I didn't know that! That really changes it a lot for me. I guess I'll max out Freezing Spell and put only 1 point into Recognized Spell.

Thanks a lot for your post Tirasu! I think I'll stick with this build then. =)

#6 Helios0

Helios0

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2425 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:04 PM

ive used dual comet release spec in scarabs.. during a previous TI

2 comets usually nukes everything but they eat up sooooooooooo much SP @_@ and red gems.. wish i had a mistress card XD
incredibly helpfull when you have an oh :( moment having those ready to instant cast tho.

yeah having storm gust 10 will be usefull with release so you dont have to sit there for the LOOOOOONG cast..

as for crimson rock.. Crimson rock is your bread and butter most of the time, the reason i didnt put that many points into Storm gust was that it displaces mobs.. so i can't really crimson rock a big group after Storm gust.
of course Frost Nova helps tons with that.. i was more of a vit/int warlock so i could stand there and take the hits while frost nova'ing but the benefit of that is that all the mobs are frozen 1-2 cells around you instead of spread out all across your screen with storm gust
Even better when you have Jack frost

Frost Misty to agro mobs to you, Jack frost to kill some and freeze the rest just as they reach you, then a crimson rock on the frozen grouped up mobs to finish them off

another strat if there's no passive mobs and you have a bunch following you, Jack frost to freeze them, move back a few yards , cast quagmire between them and you , hit em with a C.Rock then jack frost them again before they reach you, Lather rinse repeat
Chain Lightning can usually devastate a bunch of grouped up frozen mobs... but too often the damage isnt enough to completely kill them, combined with the aftercast delay of chain lightning.. your sitting there for like 3-4 seconds as the spell bounces around while things break from the ice and kick your ass

Strings + Chain lightning is sick tho..

Edited by Helios0, 05 February 2012 - 04:05 PM.

#7 CeruleanGamer

CeruleanGamer

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7685 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
  • Server:Yggdrasil, Ymir

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:13 PM

Getting Freezing Spell max is not necessary. Level 4 is all you need to be able to store 2 Comets (max) and 4 Crimson Rocks (max also).

If you're gonna max Crimson Rock, it's always a given to max Sienna Execrate along with it because hitting someone on Stone Curse with Crimson Rock doubles its damage. Sienna's also a good crowd control skill in case things get steamy.

#8 Helios0

Helios0

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2425 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:43 PM

Getting Freezing Spell max is not necessary. Level 4 is all you need to be able to store 2 Comets (max) and 4 Crimson Rocks (max also).

If you're gonna max Crimson Rock, it's always a given to max Sienna Execrate along with it because hitting someone on Stone Curse with Crimson Rock doubles its damage. Sienna's also a good crowd control skill in case things get steamy.

downside is sienna execrate also uses red gems even though the description doesnt meniton it =/ but yeah its a hella deadly combo, petrifies mobs in place for like 10 seconds and makes them Earth Property for maximum damage

with a good amount of dex you can even have time to amp before you obliterate them with a CR

Edited by Helios0, 05 February 2012 - 04:46 PM.

#9 SoJexy

SoJexy

I am New.

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:16 PM

A lot of insightful posts here, thanks everyone for contributing.

Hmm, the thing is, my build is quite stretched thin for skill points. What would a skill build look like if I wanted Comet, Sienna Execrate and Level 4 Freezing Spell? Do I skip out on maxing Frost Misty and Jack Frost? Or ignore Chain Lightning?

#10 CeruleanGamer

CeruleanGamer

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7685 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:53 PM

A lot of insightful posts here, thanks everyone for contributing.

Hmm, the thing is, my build is quite stretched thin for skill points. What would a skill build look like if I wanted Comet, Sienna Execrate and Level 4 Freezing Spell? Do I skip out on maxing Frost Misty and Jack Frost? Or ignore Chain Lightning?

http://irowiki.org/~...DqQrAaOebdopHcY

You don't need max Jack Frost because you pretty much just need it to freeze enemies and crowd control. Frost Misty's left at 2 because the skill balance nerf really killed it (50% vs 80% freezing curse pre-balance) and you can produce better results with Sienna+Crimson Rock combo.

#11 Helios0

Helios0

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2425 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:01 PM

You don't need max Jack Frost because you pretty much just need it to freeze enemies and crowd control. Frost Misty's left at 2 because the skill balance nerf really killed it (50% vs 80% freezing curse pre-balance) and you can produce better results with Sienna+Crimson Rock combo.

of course then that makes you essentially a Fire warlock.. i fell into that hole where i i was absolutely useless in thor's volcano
also the major downfall of sienna excratte is it wont work on miniboss marked targets like a LOT of very high level mobs like in Thor's Volcano, Bio Labs, Etc.. that are immune to Status Effects... Frozen/stone curse

like i said before.. Warlock Skill points are streched Very Thin!!
the entire tree needs to be reworked.. it forces you to chose between

getting a lot of spells that work sooooo well together.. its hard to chose..

Edited by Helios0, 05 February 2012 - 08:04 PM.

#12 CeruleanGamer

CeruleanGamer

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7685 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:16 PM

Sure, it makes you entirely like a Fire Warlock but if you have decent equips like the Fire Warlock Mora Set, you'll only be laughing at how strong your Warlock is 1 shotting Scarab mobs. I don't have the Empowered Crimson Staff yet but I'm already overwhelming scarabs with 80k Crimson Rock damage. :(

If you go Tetra, I guess you have much more flexibility but you won't be able to get Recognized Spell without sacrificing Radius which is pretty useful coz of our crappy fixed cast times...

#13 Caelum

Caelum

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:19 PM

tbh, Warlocks are kinda useless in Thor anyway since JF only does full damage when hitting a target with Freezing status. In fact, this limitation really destroys the class as a whole. What's the point in being a "status-infliction" class when decent mobs are all boss flagged?

SG works better anyway (over all of the hits, actually does more cumulative damage than JF would anyway), so you can be a fire-focused Warlock and still be semi-useful in Thors if you have SG at least.

The caster classes in RO are the most restrictive classes in any game that I've seen, by far. They are forced to focus on certain mobs to match elements against while melee-ers can pretty much kill 99% of everything (hell, only a handful of skills are forced neutral anyway, so even ghost-prop generally isn't a problem for them).

#14 SoJexy

SoJexy

I am New.

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:24 PM

Wow! Thanks everyone for the great discussions! Though I'm guessing the general consensus on the forums is that Warlocks are a terrible class at PvM right now... oh well.

http://irowiki.org/~himeyasha/skill4/wlk.html?10wNfNoXfbdqcBeKdKhXcAacdBeDqQrAaOebdopHcY

Oh right! The balance changes... I guess I'll go with that build then. It's quite a shame as I really liked Jack Frost.

Does anyone know when these changes will be in effect? Or are they already implemented? :(

#15 CeruleanGamer

CeruleanGamer

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7685 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:12 PM

Wow! Thanks everyone for the great discussions! Though I'm guessing the general consensus on the forums is that Warlocks are a terrible class at PvM right now... oh well.

Oh right! The balance changes... I guess I'll go with that build then. It's quite a shame as I really liked Jack Frost.

Does anyone know when these changes will be in effect? Or are they already implemented? :(

The skill changes came with the balance patch. Oh and Jack Frost is 100% freezing chance unless the enemy has 100 mdef, and that makes them immune to it.

And yeah Caelum made a great point. FM > JF is not even a viable way of killing things in Thors when they are boss protocol and immune to Frozen and Freezing Curse. However, the guardians aren't fire elemental so I guess Warlocks can be in charge of disposing those guys during Thors TI.

#16 Wizard

Wizard

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3957 posts
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:19 PM

The skill changes came with the balance patch. Oh and Jack Frost is 100% freezing chance unless the enemy has 100 mdef, and that makes them immune to it.

And yeah Caelum made a great point. FM > JF is not even a viable way of killing things in Thors when they are boss protocol and immune to Frozen and Freezing Curse. However, the guardians aren't fire elemental so I guess Warlocks can be in charge of disposing those guys during Thors TI.

O.o

I used to solo Thors with my Warlock using mostly Comet Release and Chain Lightning...

I think SG deals more damage than JF down there since some people told me that they were using SG over JF before balance patch came live...

#17 Helios0

Helios0

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2425 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:33 PM

there are HUGE diferences between Thor 1 Thor 2 and Thor 3

#18 Wizard

Wizard

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3957 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:31 PM

I meant Thor 2... never been on 3 just yet...

#19 gabbyjay13

gabbyjay13

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • LocationNevada
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:07 PM

Sorry to necro this post but I am finally leveling my high mage/wizard and will be making a warlock. I was wondering how hard it would be to level using this skill build? Do I actually level without the majority of skills I used as a mage, then wiz, because the new warlock skills are far superior? Or do I use the skills I did the first time through and then restsat when I hit warlock? I can leech all the way to 99 if needed but would rather not. lol

of course then that makes you essentially a Fire warlock.. i fell into that hole where i i was absolutely useless in thor's volcano
also the major downfall of sienna excratte is it wont work on miniboss marked targets like a LOT of very high level mobs like in Thor's Volcano, Bio Labs, Etc.. that are immune to Status Effects... Frozen/stone curse

When I leveled my wiz the first time I had fire, water, earth, and wind elements covered so I am curious on this build I have quoted.

#20 Wizard

Wizard

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3957 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:54 PM

I leveled my new warlock just using Chain Lightning and Comet... it's quite expensive since you need red gems and lot of SP for Comet... but quite fun at the end...

Usually you go with Crimson Rock, Jack Frost and Chain Lightning as basic spells... of course, Radius 3 and Reading Spellbook/Releasing is highly recommendable...

I used to level like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sEJlfkfvZQ

#21 gabbyjay13

gabbyjay13

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • LocationNevada
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:21 PM

@Wizard

I just rebirthed my wizard and am a high mage at the moment (job 6) and haven't used the points yet. I have been melee'ing low level mobs with an INT/DEX build because I am uncertain on what skills to use as a high mage and high wiz. I have seen a warlock stat build with all ele bolts and firewall as well as the one I have in my above quote from this thread. I wanted to know if I should follow the stat build posted in this thread (with a few fixes due to some of people's suggestions) or just put points in bolts while high mage; SG, LoV, and MS while high wiz; and if I do, will the skills still work with the comet build posted by CeruleanGamer in my quote.

^ this worries me. =(

Edited by gabbyjay13, 21 March 2012 - 11:21 PM.

#22 saviourimpulse

saviourimpulse

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:29 PM

I'm just gonna hijack my friend's thread here since he left RO and I'm carrying on his WL... kind of...

Since this wasn't really brought up before, I really want to know how Chain Lightning compares with Earth Strain in PvM after the balance patch.
On paper Earth Strain seems to be a better skill than Chain Lightning, but it would be nice to hear the input of people with actual experience using the 2 skills.

And another question, does Chain Lightning's jumps proc Soul Drain or is it only applicable to the first single target?

#23 CeruleanGamer

CeruleanGamer

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7685 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:39 AM

Chain Lightning is still superior in damage and your best attack spell after Tetra although it's much spammable. Earth Strain is more for tactical uses like in PvP/WoE and should never be used for damage dealing.... Additionally, if you keep using Earth Strain during party play/Turn-ins, a lot of people will hate you for causing the Earth Strain shake screen glitch that doesn't go away unless you log out/teleport.

For PvM, unless there are wind mobs, if the Warlock is using more Earth Strain than Chain Lightning, they are terribad. However, you should use Crimson Rock/Comet above all else, unless you're in a Thor's TI or TIs with 200k HP+ monsters.

Soul Drain only works on the initial target of Chain Lightning.

Comet Warlocks get at least 4 points in Freezing Spell to store 2 Comets. If you can a lot of INT +20 foods and Sleipnir, you can probably get away with just level 3.

JT becomes obsolete after getting Chain Lightning. The only thing that makes it better is the knockback, but even that effect becomes useless later on anyway.

Heaven's Drive is NOT a PvM skill. Its only use is to un-Stealth Shadow Chasers/Stalkers in PvP/WoE and to use it effectively, you will also need a Maya Purple carded headgear.

Edited by CeruleanGamer, 25 June 2012 - 03:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users