Wizard

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3957 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:28 PM

So any valid news so far for us?

Heimdallr : We are releasing most of the blocks now, after a brief look at each ips behavior.
This likely means most of hte tickets that are in waiting status probably will be non-issues.

But we will have to continue blocking "hammering" attempts when each incident occurs. Players will get temp blocked during this time if they make excessive attempts at login. If we don't temp block, the servers will not come back up at all.

I see... that's good =)

So does it means there's a high chance that we gonna be able to WoE normally this coming Saturday and perhaps tomorrow as well?? This on Ymir of course...

#452 Gantrithor

Gantrithor

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1083 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:30 PM

Hmm not enough people complaining, guess it's just me, ticket time.

#453 misushima

misushima

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:36 PM

Login down in middle of the woe again :P

#454 Lambor

Lambor

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1230 posts
  • LocationAbingdon, MD
  • Server:Chaos - Animosity Leader

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:37 PM

I logout and try to login...and I timeout every time. Is the temp block "Has tried to login twice within the past 30 min"?

#455 fgabriel26

fgabriel26

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 153 posts

this totally make me remember of when the gms banned the first players to log on server after maint. GMs are so desesperate that they put solution that will only worsen the situation.

#456 guraboy

guraboy

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 133 posts

Login down @ 5:36pm PST. Northern California.

#457 Wizard

Wizard

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3957 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:38 PM

Login down @ 5:36pm PST. Northern California.

SoCal is good so far...

#458 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10175 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:39 PM

Please wait 30 seconds or so, then try logging in again.

#459 DragonsOfDarknes

DragonsOfDarknes

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:40 PM

So is there a better solution to this problem?

#460 Gantrithor

Gantrithor

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1083 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:41 PM

Petrol and a match.

#461 fgabriel26

fgabriel26

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:46 PM

Please wait 30 seconds or so, then try logging in again.

because it takes 10-15s to kill a mvp :P it just add more stress and make you start another client. Forgot how many times I kicked myselves out forgetting I was already logged in

#462 guraboy

guraboy

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:48 PM

Waited about 5 mins and I'm in!

#463 blitzrick

blitzrick

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:49 PM

When IT team checks connection logs they only see IP list (numbers), they don't know which IPs belong to iRO players. IPs that have massive amount of attempts in short period of time obviously will be temporary blocked. Even if they know the IPs belong to iRO players, they can't do much since those IPs are the one that have been attacking the server.

#464 Niji

Niji

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2701 posts
  • Locationhell
  • Server:classic!!

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:51 PM

because it takes 10-15s to kill a mvp :P it just add more stress and make you start another client. Forgot how many times I kicked myselves out forgetting I was already logged in

omg you missed an MVP the world is gonna end...... it's a game seriously.

#465 fgabriel26

fgabriel26

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:52 PM

Can't a script do the same thing?
I wouldn't be screwed up if the char server wouldn't go down with the login server

how IT should act

#466 Heimdallr

Heimdallr

Too Legit To Quit

• Community Managers
  • 3649 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:59 PM

First off, the IPs we are looking at are ones directly attempting to login during the incident period. The incident period differs in length, but most of the itme is less than 30 minutes (of actual flooding now due to our blockings). We do very aggressive IP blocks then which allows the login to live again. Once it is alive we start undoing the blocks. There is a threshold of "reasonable but high" that we will be trying to release immediately after the incidents. But there is a different level of attempts that gets into either a ton of players (lan cafe) or bots or deliberate flooding that we will only release after the ticket request and investigation.

If we don't do the ip blocks the login would stay down for about the full 80 minutes, which is about 70 minutes of flooding with 10 minutes of silence while the systems all restart. The ip blocks are there to block the flooding earlier so it only is down a few minutes, and then we can force restart the systems to reduce the actual down time for you all to minutes rather than quarters of hours. If we restart the systems without having the flooding stopped it will just immediately die again (this is what happened during those first 2 Saturday WoEs). We are working out more efficient policies and procedures to reduce the impact on service unfortunately it won't be "convenient" until this is stopped.

#467 mikeberserkr

mikeberserkr

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 571 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:05 PM

after reading some posts.... i highly suggest READING THE ORIGINAL POST BY INUBARASHI!
Some QQ without even knowing the situation we are in.... :P

Well good luck :omg:

Edited by mikeberserkr, 07 February 2012 - 06:07 PM.

#468 Wingcovers

Wingcovers

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 40 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Server:Yggdrasil

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:24 PM

First off, the IPs we are looking at are ones directly attempting to login during the incident period. The incident period differs in length, but most of the itme is less than 30 minutes (of actual flooding now due to our blockings). We do very aggressive IP blocks then which allows the login to live again. Once it is alive we start undoing the blocks. There is a threshold of "reasonable but high" that we will be trying to release immediately after the incidents. But there is a different level of attempts that gets into either a ton of players (lan cafe) or bots or deliberate flooding that we will only release after the ticket request and investigation.

If we don't do the ip blocks the login would stay down for about the full 80 minutes, which is about 70 minutes of flooding with 10 minutes of silence while the systems all restart. The ip blocks are there to block the flooding earlier so it only is down a few minutes, and then we can force restart the systems to reduce the actual down time for you all to minutes rather than quarters of hours. If we restart the systems without having the flooding stopped it will just immediately die again (this is what happened during those first 2 Saturday WoEs). We are working out more efficient policies and procedures to reduce the impact on service unfortunately it won't be "convenient" until this is stopped.

I know you and your teams are doing their best Heimdallr. Don't let anyone discourage you ^_^ You've got support from lots of us! A lot of people want instant gratification and easy solutions to, well, everything. I think whatever the problem is will burn itself out eventually. If it's a person/group of nerd-raging people behind the attacks then pfffft. They'll find something better to do once they realize that enough people don't give a rat's arse about their personal issues and keep playing the game regardless. Keep doing your best! And if all else fails, I'm sure the FBI is always looking for something to do. :P

In fact, the thought of the FBI going into total overkill mode and breaking into some skinny kid's bedroom with riot shields and tear gas just makes me lol inside.

#469 Akshaysanwal

Akshaysanwal

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 706 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:30 PM

They are working hard for it, and it will be fruitful. Loads of us have lost VIP at times
So once everything is fixed, it would be nice if the entire server was given something like 1week of free VIP :P

#470 dontleaveme

dontleaveme

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 353 posts
  • LocationSC, USA

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:03 PM

A miracle just happened! I DC'd and was able to log back in right away!!!!!
It's a sad day when I get hyped over that.

#471 Lambor

Lambor

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1230 posts
  • LocationAbingdon, MD
  • Server:Chaos - Animosity Leader

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:10 PM

So our only hope for a Saturday WoE is for the GMs to be there to force restart the servers? =\

#472 Shieldheart

Shieldheart

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:35 AM

when can we log-in?

#473 Gantrithor

Gantrithor

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1083 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:53 AM

It is scheduled maintenance, 1 hour and 8 more minutes to go.

#474 Hulk

Hulk

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:04 AM

any idea who is doing this to ragnarok? i know GM's already have people in mind behind these attacks.

#475 Zinja

Zinja

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2348 posts
  • Server:Classic

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:07 AM

Iam surprised there is no ransom note or demands call... either that or they are keeping it heavily under wraps in order to not lose face...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users