Tally's guide to Protector gear and skills - Turan Temple - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

Tally's guide to Protector gear and skills

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 tally

tally

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1136 posts
  • LocationDisgruntled
  • Playing:Requiem
  • Server:Velik - Vermillion

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:38 AM

This is a guide for levelling, while still being able to tank a bit along the way. I'll do 3 main stages, assuming a skill reset between each stage:
  • L1-49 - Levelling fast and not needing to tank much
  • L50-75ish - Levelling, but you have things to tank (bosses and grind parties)
  • L75+ - End-game raid and grind tanking

L1-49

Gear
The higher you reinforce your gear the better. I'm going to leave out S1 gear - If you know what it is and own any, you don't need this guide to tell you how to gear!

Jewels - enchant with Strength or Critical chance
  • Reinforced physical jewel set - Solid, Lentus, Stout
Armour - enchant with Strength
  • L5 - Aegis armour + Fides Shield
  • L25 - Guardian's armour + Keen Shield
  • L35 - FOC Khrentium + L40 Ferus Shield
Weapons - Enchant with one of [Physical Attack Power Double Up, Physical/Skill Critical Double Up, Short Range Defence Down] and the rest of the slots with Physical Attack Power
  • L5 - Any 1-handed Sword/Axe/Bludgeon
  • L25 - Keen Sword / Accel Axe
  • L40 - Ferus Sword / Storm Axe
Ornament
  • Best SvS costume you can afford
Skills

Your priorities are:
  • Survival Instinct - 10 (1 point in Physical Blessing as filler)
  • Skin of Stone - 10
  • Quick Attack - as many points as needed to get 1.0s attack speed (1 point in Fighting Will as filler)
Next, level these as much as you can (as you'll mainly be damage-dealing):
  • Chain Slash
  • Vital Stab
  • Dire Strike Slash
  • Onslaught
  • Shield Strike
Lastly, put any remaining points in these as you won't be tanking much:
  • Taunt
  • Taunting Cry
DNA

Depends on how many DNA points you have (can buy more in mall).

Priorities:
  • Strengthened Survival Instinct - 10 points
  • Strengthened Skin of Stone - 10 points
Put the rest of your points into:
  • Long Range Taunt - useful for pulling mobs from far away
  • Vital Stab Intensification
  • Extended Vital Stab

L50-75

Gear

I'll start splitting gear into two groups here - damage and tanking. If you're interested in tanking things you can either get two separate sets to switch, or make up a set from both groups.

DAMAGE

Jewels - enchant with Critical chance
  • Reinforced physical jewel set - Stout, Charm, Lucky, Bijou, Passion, Frantic
Armour - enchant with CON, Short Range Defence, Physical Attack (SvS), Strength
  • L55 - FOC Gordium armour + Vortex / Thunder / Gusts Shield
  • L65 - FOC Sylrium armour + Roundelroot Egis Shield
  • L72 - Brilliant armour + The Last Judgement / Longhorn's Pride Shield
  • L75 - Conqueror's armour + Shield of Soul Reposing
Weapons - Enchant with one of [Physical/Skill Critical Double Up, Short Range Defence Double Down] and the rest of the slots with Physical Attack Power
  • L50 / 55 / 60 - Vortex / Thunder / Gusts Sword or Blaze / Fissure / Frost Wind Axe
  • L65 - Kushepoon's Devil Sword/ Axe of Endless Gashes
  • L67 - Ruinhorn's Twisted Sword / Axe
  • L68-75 - Any rare / carus sword / axe
Ornament
  • Attack Power of the Infinite
TANKING

Jewels - enchant with HP
  • L55 - Secret Lab M-C set
Armour - enchant with CON
  • L55 - FOC Gordium armour + L50 Etc. Fissure Shield [has CON] (bought from Shield Dealer NPCs - one in Cohen), or high reinforced L50 supernus shield for block rate
  • L60 - The brave armour + L60 Etc. Frost Wind Shield (from Shield Dealer NPC), or high reinforced L60 supernus shield for block rate
  • L65 - Seamless Polar Icecaps armour + Roundelroot Egis Shield
  • L67 - Ruinhorn's Fierce armour + Ruinhorn's Twisted Shield
  • L72 - Glorious armour + Longhorn's Pride / Shield of Control
  • L75 - Conqueror's armour + Shield of Soul Reposing
Weapons - Enchant with Physical Critical Double Down and the rest of the slots with anything you like (Light damage for heals maybe)
  • L50 / 55 / 60 - Vortex / Thunder / Gusts Bludgeon (MND for Heals and MP)
  • L65 - Kushepoon's Devil Sword/ Axe of Endless Gashes / Hammer of Holy Judgement
  • L67 - Ruinhorn's Twisted Sword / Axe
  • L71-75 - Any carus sword / axe
Ornament
  • Best SvS costume you can get
Skills

Your priorities are:
  • Survival Instinct - 10 (1 point in Physical Blessing as filler)
  • Skin of Stone - 10
  • Taunt - 10
  • Taunting Cry - 10
  • Low Blow - Max
  • Shield Mastery - Max
  • Spiritual Intensification - Max
  • Aegis of Protection - Max
  • Shield Fortress - Max
Next, level these as much as you want / can:
  • Quick Attack - as many points as needed to get 1.0s attack speed (1 point in Fighting Will as filler)
  • Restoration
  • Sacred Hand
  • Lesser Party Heal
  • Onslaught
  • Shield Strike
Lastly, put any remaining points in these as you don't have enough points for everything:
  • Chain Slash
  • Vital Stab
  • Dire Strike Slash
DNA

Again, depends on how many DNA points you have.

Priorities:
  • Strengthened Shield Mastery
  • Strengthened Shield Fortress
  • Strengthened Aegis of Protection
  • Strengthened Spiritual Intensification - 1 or Max
  • Strengthened Survival Instinct - 6 or 10 points
  • Strengthened Skin of Stone - 6 or 10 points
  • Strengthened Restoration
  • Potens Sacred Hand
  • Potens Lesser Party Heal

L75+

Gear

DAMAGE

Tanking is your sole focus here. If you want to do damage, go Commander. Keep your previous gear - it's not worth making new stuff.
You could upgrade if you're rich...

Jewels
  • Reinforced physical jewel set - Bijou, Frantic, Stardust
Weapons - really don't need, but if you've got far too many resources...
  • L79 - STR or Uncursed Sword or Axe
  • L85 - Perfect STR Sword / Axe
Ornament
  • Toy ball (phys or skill, depends on how you play)
  • Higher version of Attack Power of the Infinite
TANKING

This should now be your main focus. Put everything you've got into your tanking gear - it's a prot's sole purpose.

Jewels - enchant with as much HP as you can. RH Breathings, 30HP/2CON etc
  • Reinforced Halo Earrings (or Stardust, but I like the MP and healing benefits of Halo)
  • Firedragon Molar Necklace
  • Hopeful Ring / Hollow Charm Rings
  • Iron Wall Belt
  • Determined Willingness Bracelets (+20 or more)
Armour - enchant with as much CON as possible (Ruinhorn, Biskra and Doom Cheras CON Scales / Ammonites are great), and any resistance you need to get good Fire and Curse (at least) alongside the Theme ornament (for LW, Tyrant etc).
Reinforce your shield as much as you can - a huge chunk of your block rate and defence come from it!
  • Hell Iron Helm (helm only, from LW - adds both CON and HP, but could break set bonus)
  • Glorious armour
  • Conqueror's armour
  • Sacred Patterned [CON] armour (L79 ET)
  • Twilight Guardian L85 armour
  • Shield of Soul Reposing
  • Dead Man's Shield - CON or Uncursed
  • Perfect Ominous Hell Iron Shield (L85)
Weapons - Enchant with Physical Critical Double Down and the rest of the slots with anything you like - resistance xeons will help in LW etc
  • Sword / Axe of Soul Reposing
  • Dead Man's Sword / Axe - CON or Uncursed
  • Perfect Ominous Hell Iron Sword / Axe
Ornament
  • Torn Teddy Bear / Alosa SvS Costume
  • Property Resistance Power of the Infinite (for LW, Tyrant etc)
Skills

Your priorities are:
  • Taunt - 10
  • Taunting Cry - 10
  • Low Blow - 10
  • Shield Mastery - 10
  • Spiritual Intensification - Max
  • Aegis of Protection - Max
  • Shield Fortress - Max
Next, level these as much as you want / can:
  • Survival Instinct - 1 to 10 (1 point in Physical Blessing as filler)
  • Skin of Stone - 1 to 10
  • Restoration
  • Sacred Hand
  • Lesser Party Heal
  • Quick Attack - this will give your weapon enchant more chances to activate
Lastly, put any remaining points in:
  • Broken Morale
  • Shield Strike
DNA

Priorities:
  • Strengthened Shield Mastery - Max
  • Strengthened Shield Fortress - Max
  • Strengthened Aegis of Protection - Max
  • Strengthened Spiritual Intensification - 1 point only
  • Strengthened Restoration
  • Potens Sacred Hand
  • Potens Lesser Party Heal
  • Strengthened Spiritual Intensification - Max
  • Strengthened Survival Instinct - 1 or 6 or 10 points
  • Strengthened Skin of Stone - 1 or 6 or 10 points

Edited by tally, 21 March 2012 - 01:56 AM.

#2 japanpr

japanpr

I am New.

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:44 PM

I think here... What would be best to put Xeon? DEFENSE OR HP?

Edited by japanpr, 29 February 2012 - 10:25 AM.

#3 tally

tally

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1136 posts
  • LocationDisgruntled

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:45 AM

At lower levels defence is better, due to the diminishing returns on it.

At higher levels your armour will provide enough defence and HP is better to have.

#4 Hedonic

Hedonic

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:04 PM

I've been wondering about Alosa versus Sellina costumes. I've heard Alosa's reinforcement success rate drops sharply, making Sellina a better option if you're not running to the Item Mall. Thoughts?

#5 Famous

Famous

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6209 posts
  • LocationEngland
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:34 PM

I've been wondering about Alosa versus Sellina costumes. I've heard Alosa's reinforcement success rate drops sharply, making Sellina a better option if you're not running to the Item Mall. Thoughts?

As protector it's best to have HP teddy from ET but that's some end game stuff.

#6 Hedonic

Hedonic

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:39 PM

As protector it's best to have HP teddy from ET but that's some end game stuff.

Yeah, I'm 74 right now, so I'm ready for an SvS lady and I'll be working toward that Teddy. Some day...

#7 Freja

Freja

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2769 posts
  • LocationScandinavia

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:07 PM

Yeah, I'm 74 right now, so I'm ready for an SvS lady and I'll be working toward that Teddy. Some day...

If you're in need for a Lv65 or Lv70 SvS costume let me know, I'm selling both!

#8 AngelicPretty

AngelicPretty

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1514 posts
  • LocationKiwiland!
  • Server:FOC

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:23 PM

If you're in need for a Lv65 or Lv70 SvS costume let me know, I'm selling both!

:D whats the + on 65 Kamy i may be interested

#9 Freja

Freja

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2769 posts
  • LocationScandinavia

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:32 PM

:D whats the + on 65 Kamy i may be interested

Kamy is only +0 and Alosa is +10! I'm selling them cheap!

#10 xSweetDreamsx

xSweetDreamsx

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 840 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:34 AM

I like your guide but would be nice to have commie and prot in seperate topics as they are very different classes to make it easier for new players maybe but i know this is something you just done with spare time. I use -5% all resist down on my prot as i think it benifits the pt more and most high dps use double down so this stacks and is almost always activated on boss plus always have good rads and 32k hp helps i guess but i know alot use -25% down but would be nice to point out there is more options for prots.

#11 tally

tally

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1136 posts
  • LocationDisgruntled

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:02 AM

I like your guide but would be nice to have commie and prot in seperate topics

It's not a commie guide at all, just including DPS gear for prots for levelling. Similar tho :D

Hadn't considered the 5% resist down actually, I'll look out for one of those as an alternative!

#12 Loyalty1

Loyalty1

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9069 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Server:♪ ♥ ♪

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:46 AM

Jewels - enchant with as much HP as you can. Ruinhorn Breathings and CON Scales / Ammonites are great

Should never use CON Scales/Amm in jewels, they should be kept for the armor since you can get/buy 30HP/2Con for the jewels.

#13 tally

tally

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1136 posts
  • LocationDisgruntled

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:01 PM

Fair point! I think that came from copy/paste error from armour section =/

#14 Dess

Dess

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 946 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:34 PM

Guide is nice, good work. :mellow:
Some things i would say are:

I would note its that you may not need all defence buffs. At higher lvls and depending on gears maybe (i didnt tried naked) Spritual Intensification alone could take you over 3k defence. At that point I see no need for any other defence buff, wich gives you some free points to invest somewhere else.

Also long range taunt its not as usefull as it was now since range on taunt increase while you lvl the skill.

And about strengthened restoration.... first point its nice, i really recomend it, gives a nice increase in heal and reduces MP cost quite a bit. After that benefit its very small. I would go for reduced cooldowns instead of that one without a second thought. Maybe heals are not huge, but they help a lot when you tank JS mobs without a rad.

As for enchants in wep.... if I remember right you can enchant resistance in weapons (Ion Mine Fire resistance would be best choice imh), so its a nice thing to consider. Light dmg its devided by 5 in heals over time formula, so it wont make a big diference. Phys dmg can also be nice in helping you to keep aggro, but not necesary. As for the rest of resistances... meh, my resistances suck and i tanked every dungeon.

Block %> Block Defence > HP > Resistances. At least thats how i made priorityes for Dess and thats what makes S1 gear so special and expensive. Would be really nice if they added the same % block bonnus on S2 gear, that way tanks could finally move on from S1s. Seriously, lvl 85 on 66 armor and earings its kinda weird.... Ohh and 55 jewels for the rest, hehehe i know, im lazy :waddle: but they are soooo easy to reinforce and still usefull, so why change them?? :adorable:

Also, SHIELD its ALLWAYS the MOST IMPORTANT for prots, better to have a +30 shield and +0 wep than both +20. Bloking makes a hell of a diference.

Edited by Dess, 05 March 2012 - 05:35 PM.

#15 shmappy

shmappy

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 372 posts
  • Locationplanet earth?
  • Server:valdes

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:21 PM

not bad, tally, not bad at all

but, if you're 75+ and want dmg gear, go commie. dmg dealing is NOT for the prot. people ALWAYS want tanks for st/et grind/farms, so if you want the dmg dealing gear to "solo," dont bother, you should hardly ever have a problem finding a party. save yourself the funds and stick with focusing on hp and con

and i would lvl survival instinct and skin of stone both to lvl 10. sacrifice the skill points on "pew pew" skills, (like shield strike, though i miss it :( ) and put them into your defense skills. as a tank, you're nothing more than a meat shield, anyway. the only attack skill worth lvling is low blow, because it generates hostility towards a certain amount of targets (forget what it is off the top of my head)

as for costumes, the teddy is far better. alosa might give you defense, but with your buffs alone, you can hit cap def. and a +30 teddy will give you more hp than a +30 alosa

as for the broken morale skill. thats a toughy... it doesnt work on bosses, and i dont remember if it works on the et mobs or not. so all its really good for is when grinding. if you want to build a tank that is for nothing but tanking raids, then the only raid boss that this skill would be useful for is juggles, and even then it would only work on the mobs leading up to his spawn spots.
so its pretty much up to the reader as to if this skill should be used.
i have it on my tank, but i hardly ever use it

Edited by shmappy, 13 March 2012 - 09:23 PM.

#16 Fudd

Fudd

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3714 posts
  • LocationInfinity
  • Server:The stable one

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:07 AM

UJC'ed my tempest to protector and im starting to work on gearing it, but i have a few questions

I bought a s1 Seamless Polar Icecaps set, it has some decent enchants in it. Should I enchant it with CON xeons (DC/RH/BISKRA/ION MINE) or should i put it full with other xeons, like ion mine block defense and block succes % xeons ??

About the jewels, I'm not sure what to use, I have a +20 SL M-C set, enchanted with 20hp xeons, RH breathings and s1 ion HP xeons.
I have a +10 Dominator Nightmare CON set (M-C/C-C pieces) Eximius grade. and the third jewelry set is a +15 reinforced dreamer set with ion skill crits. Should I even bother to enchant my nightmare jewels with HP xeons, or just stick with the SL M-C set and the Reinforced dreamer set?

About the costumes, I was thinking of using a witch eye with HP. Or should i also make 1 with block defense/block succes% ?

Edited by Fudd, 24 September 2012 - 10:00 AM.

#17 Ninnghizhidda

Ninnghizhidda

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1903 posts
  • LocationAthens, Hellas
  • Server:Hammerine

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:52 AM

About the Seamless Polar set, I would say you should not touch any S1 enchants that are unique, e.g. HP ones, that you can no longer put in. Otherwise, you could always optimise the set with the best CON remains you can find / afford. I am not sure block % xeons is the best idea. Maybe could use a few but not everywhere. Or maybe just enchant your shield with them.

Well, MC set is a bit outdated now, even with great CON / HP enchants in it.Could still use it of course. I imagine the best option would be NM CON set, either exim or rare grade depending on your level. You can always fine tune the individual pieces to your needs, maybe choosing MP recovery instead of HP etc.

I believe overall CON / HP enchants are still the best, although I have to admit Protectors need some boost to their healing skills too. But not extremely important. In the end, huge HPs and a very high block rate will mean you require less healing too.

As for those NM ornaments, I guess the ones with skill / phys % and maybe magic damage since physical one isnt terribly important. HP one is a good choice if you can get it with a high starting value, or CON one. But I have seen that you tend to get more HPs from the HP one, somehow the CON starting value never gets too high. Not quite sure about the block version, might be a good choice, would depend on the overall values for block skills you got.

#18 Fudd

Fudd

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3714 posts
  • LocationInfinity
  • Server:The stable one

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:14 AM

Thnx for the reply,

There were a few s1 HP xeons left in the seamless set (bought the set from leash) extracted a few def xeons and other crap, but the HP xeons are still in there:)

I've been thinking of gettin the witch eye and compound it with HP. Because im a bit afraid that i wont have a lot of HP

#19 Leash

Leash

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3490 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Server:Trifri

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:23 AM

I wash my hands of the enchants, they were not made by me, I bought it that way.

Regarding enchants in weapons tho, I did put a Lv5 all property magic resistance down thingie in my sword to help casters in raids.

#20 100001940049188

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • Server:Nova

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:53 PM

Any pro tell me how to get 100% block rate pls!

#21 Johnson1234

Johnson1234

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:44 AM

Any pro tell me how to get 100% block rate pls!

itens mail

#22 WhateverHeSaid

WhateverHeSaid

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:02 AM

My friend enchant all set (85) and shield (85) with ion mine block success. A lvl 85 prot with skill Shield Fortress + DNA will get more 24% block. A lvl 90 more 28%. 

Otherwise, you can use a Cell compounded with block success.  The image below have the best block what you can reach with this ornament:

gbxb.jpg

And of course, need it if you want 100%

itens mail

Yes, he reach 99.99% without the cell, with a prot lvl 86.

#23 xBeWarnedx

xBeWarnedx

I am New.

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:43 PM

Was just wondering, im not gonna buy any Skill Resets, could i just go from level 1+ using the last build given? sure i wont hit very hard, but is it viable?

#24 MacMad

MacMad

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 727 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:03 PM

Yes, he reach 99.99% without the cell, with a prot lvl 86.

Then hes talking -_-. Even with Trinity shield and full armor 8/8 with ion mine block success enchants u wont have 99%, only if hes wearing S1 Earrings with block %.

At lv87  (+28% from buff+dna) ull have 95-96% max without a block cell and those earrings

#25 gragoli26

gragoli26

I am New.

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:06 AM

this was great help from all of you but i have 1 question,should i go for aa or ss or bouth..that is really buging me -_-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users