Introduction to Ragnarok Online in General - Guides and Quests - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

Introduction to Ragnarok Online in General

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 22 July 2010 - 01:47 AM

Hi newbies! Don't know what Ragnarok Online is all about? Having trouble picking a server? Can't find anything useful on the official site? Well here's an informative introduction into the world of Ragnarok Online!

Ragnarok Online, or RO for short, is based on the Ragnarok manhwa series by Lee Myung-jin, who also helps develop content for the game. The story centers on Norse mythology, though it has influences from other cultures (mainly Asian). What makes this game unique is the anime styling of characters and the use of 2D sprites on 3D environments. The game utilizes the point-&-click mechanic so having a good working mouse will help you greatly as you adventure through the world of RO and live out your own story. The game is rated T for Teens due to mature content. The background music (BGM) is mainly composed by the Korean group, soundTeMP.

This version of RO is known as USA International RO (iRO). Because the developers, Gravity Co., is based in Korea (kRO), their version gets updated first before any other RO versions. Other versions of RO, including iRO, are able to modify the game to implement events, but are not able (or allowed) to drastically change the game itself (i.e. implement a banking system, create and add new items, change sprites, etc.).

In keeping with the series aspect of Ragnarok, major updates to RO are referred to as episodes. Check out this page to see the most current updates to iRO.

Currently, iRO hosts 3 main servers: two premium servers and a free-to-play server. The premium servers and the free server are different in terms of experience (EXP) and drop rates as well as other contents. The premium servers will always be updated at least two weeks before the free-to-play server.

(Character pictures shown are the covers of the Ragnarok manhwa with numbers denoting the volume of the book it's on.)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

The original 3 servers (Chaos, Loki, and Iris) were merged in 2010 into a new server name Ymir (pay-to-play server). In preparation for the merge, all guilds were deleted so current guilds on Ymir are no older than April 2010. The new server has a diverse range of players with a number being veterans from even the beta days. Just watch out for the Merchant flood in Prontera.

Posted Image

Yggdrasil is the newest premium server which opened October 2010. This server is ideal for players looking to start out on a fresh server with an unestablished economy and minimal veteran competition. As it is a premium server, it will have the same EXP and drop rate as Ymir with absolutely no difference in terms of game mechanics.

Posted Image

Sakray was formerly a premium-exclusive test server, which has been re-designated as a cross-server PVP server due to it being too old and unable to handle the Renewal updates. At this time, it is unsure when it'll be available to players again.

Posted Image

Valkyrie is completely free to play for premium subscribers and non-subscribers alike. Veteran players can also be found on this server due to the free-to-play (F2P) aspects and the offering of a more challenging gameplay. Certain items and services that can be found on the premium servers are either unavailable entirely on Valkyrie or cannot be acquired from monster drops. In addition, the server is also prone to a very high frequency of botting activities, mainly that of gold farmers. Real-money trade (RMT) is ILLEGAL and any player caught participating in RMT will be banned, whether the trade involves zeny or items. Newbie players are advised to avoid zeny-sellers in the game and report suspicious activities to the gamemasters (GMs) via WarpPortal Support tickets. Currently, there is no long-lasting effective method of keeping bots off F2P games in general, though GMs are always working hard to find solutions.

Just like any other MMORPG, the hardware supporting the game must be kept in tip-top condition for players to play. As such, iRO servers undergo maintenance every week on Tuesday which usually goes from 10PM - 2AM PST. Be aware that the time is not set in stone as anything can happen and may require maintenance to go on longer than usual.

For a list of rules and in-game policies, see this page. To review the terms of service, click here.

Like many MMORPGs, RO has a job system, except RO's job system is more intuitive than most. Every player starts out as a Novice class job and have the opportunity to change into one of 6 general jobs and 4 expanded jobs. Seven of the 1st class jobs can advance into 2 separate jobs for a total of 14 different 2nd class jobs to choose from. However, only 12 of the 2nd class jobs can advance to transcendent class jobs through a special quest. The latest addition to the job system are 3rd class jobs, which can be advanced from either 2nd class jobs or transcendent class jobs. In terms of character design, the 3rd class jobs are most faithful to the Ragnarok manhwa.

With so many different jobs to choose from, picking one to start with can be tough. The most popular pick for a starting character is Thief because of the job's ability to deal damage quickly, the Steal skill to help increase one's zeny income, and the Hide skill to aid in avoiding stronger monsters. Another good pick is Taekwon since its skills do not require weapons to use (one less thing to worry about). Beware of Archer, Gunslinger, and Ninja as those jobs require purchasing a lot of ammunition, which can quickly drain zeny if you're not careful.

Don't know what you want to do in the game? Check out my ever-growing list of RO Achievements to give yourself a goal to aim for or see what can be done in the game.

The Kafra Shop, RO's equivalent of a F2P game's item shop, can be used by both premium subscribers and non-subscribers. Non-subscribers usually pay more for items in the shop compared to subscribers due to the fact that subscribers are already paying on a monthly basis to access the game.

To utilize the Kafra Shop, players must purchase Kafra Credit Points (not to be confused with Kafra Points you earn in-game for using Kafra services). After the account is credited with the points, players must then log into the game and meet a Kafra Shop Employee where you purchase items just like you would with any shop NPC in the game. Players who wish to dye their characters' clothing must purchase a clothing dye coupon from the Kafra Shop and visit the appropriate NPC to get dyed.

Kafra Shop items are account-bound unless otherwise noted. Certain items can be traded so before purchasing an item, read the item's description carefully and check the FAQ or utilize WarpPortal Support tickets and forums if you have questions.

Well, that's it for this introduction into the world of RO. I hope you enjoy your stay and I'll see you in the game!

Edited by ZeroTigress, 07 February 2012 - 11:20 AM.

#2 ChrisVideosTv

ChrisVideosTv

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 114 posts
  • LocationValkyrie

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:03 AM

Nice

#3 Meshif

Meshif

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • LocationDayton, Ohio

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:53 AM

My first character was an Archer...

Good introduction to RO though.

Edited by Meshif, 22 July 2010 - 06:53 AM.

#4 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:35 AM

My first character was an Archer...

It's just some good advice for newbies. :)

#5 Meshif

Meshif

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • LocationDayton, Ohio

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:45 AM

It's just some good advice for newbies. :)

but... I was a newbie >_>

#6 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:18 AM

but... I was a newbie >_>

There are exceptions.

#7 D111

D111

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4543 posts
  • LocationOrlando
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:31 AM

Great Post Tigress

#8 FoxyWoxy

FoxyWoxy

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:12 PM

I actually recommend Archers. If someone can come on the forums and read that they shouldn't play it, they can also read a short guide on how they can be one of the easiest classes.

#9 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:31 PM

I actually recommend Archers. If someone can come on the forums and read that they shouldn't play it, they can also read a short guide on how they can be one of the easiest classes.

The problem with RO Archers and Gunslingers in general is that they have a much different way to equip ammunition compared to similar range classes from other MMOs. New players (especially those new to MMOs in general) might find it difficult to understand that you equip ammo onto a hotkey instead of the equipment window and that the ammo is not actually equipped until you press the hotkey it's put into and see the confirmation in the chat box and the equipment window.

We need new players to understand the bare basics and easiest stuff first and then try out the more differently played classes.

#10 FoxyWoxy

FoxyWoxy

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 02:00 AM

Thats why you consider archers not newbie friendly? Because people might not figure out you can hotkey arrows? That's all? That's a horrible reason! Now since you wrote that they CAN hotkey arrows, copy paste that over avoiding the class.

#11 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 11:42 AM

Thats why you consider archers not newbie friendly? Because people might not figure out you can hotkey arrows? That's all? That's a horrible reason! Now since you wrote that they CAN hotkey arrows, copy paste that over avoiding the class.

If you want to recommend them, that's fine. For me, I wouldn't. Whether a newbie takes either advice is ultimately up to them.

#12 EvilLoynis

EvilLoynis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1652 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada
  • Server:Renewal

Posted 10 September 2010 - 02:02 AM

Oh my God, I actually just read the entire list of "Bannable" offenses and it is rediculous that they included Mob Training on there.

Mob Train (Gathering many monsters
in a certain place for the fast Lv up or for the party)
5-day
Ban

10-day
Ban

Delete
ID

This is all that goes on for events like Ice Titans or even regular Repeatable turn in experience quests like Alligators and Goats. Even Hodes do this. It's just laughable that they say that these are such bannable offenses even for quilds and can get the ENTIRE guild Banned. This has never to my knowledge detoured anyone from this activity.

#13 KeitobiPepsi

KeitobiPepsi

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 03:01 AM

update clothing dye for renewal!!

#14 ChiKittie

ChiKittie

I am New.

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 19 November 2010 - 05:23 AM

I am new to the game and need to get to another town from the one I am in. I go to the teleport girl but she never gives me the option to teleport to another town. I tried walking there but I had to go through a lot of land. I got killed a lot. Can someone help me get there safely. I playing on the free server and my name is Lyhacarra. If anyone can help me please post here or PM me. :p_devil:

#15 EvilLoynis

EvilLoynis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1652 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 01:04 PM

I am new to the game and need to get to another town from the one I am in. I go to the teleport girl but she never gives me the option to teleport to another town. I tried walking there but I had to go through a lot of land. I got killed a lot. Can someone help me get there safely. I playing on the free server and my name is Lyhacarra. If anyone can help me please post here or PM me. <_<

Ok I am sorry to let you know that Town Teleport options are not really extensive when you play on Valkyrie server. This is one of their ways to get you to pay $$$ to play on the premium servers.

However there are some teleport options and here they are.

1. Prontera: You can warp from Prontera to many places including, Izlude, Payon, Morroc, Geffen, Comodo and AlDeBran. Usually it costs 2000zenny for all but last 2 which cost 3k.
TIP: Save in Prontera to make your life a Lot easier in the long run. While it may cost money to warp where u want to go, you save tons of time not walking back to prontera all the time..

2. Morroc: In Morroc you can warp back to Prontera via the southern Kafra girl.

Those are the only teleporters that I can think of off hand. I cannot stress how much easier your life will be if you only save in Prontera. The only exception to this will be later in the game ounce you start moving into the other kingdoms.

#16 ChiKittie

ChiKittie

I am New.

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 19 November 2010 - 05:24 PM

Ok I am sorry to let you know that Town Teleport options are not really extensive when you play on Valkyrie server. This is one of their ways to get you to pay $$$ to play on the premium servers.

However there are some teleport options and here they are.

1. Prontera: You can warp from Prontera to many places including, Izlude, Payon, Morroc, Geffen, Comodo and AlDeBran. Usually it costs 2000zenny for all but last 2 which cost 3k.
TIP: Save in Prontera to make your life a Lot easier in the long run. While it may cost money to warp where u want to go, you save tons of time not walking back to prontera all the time..

2. Morroc: In Morroc you can warp back to Prontera via the southern Kafra girl.

Those are the only teleporters that I can think of off hand. I cannot stress how much easier your life will be if you only save in Prontera. The only exception to this will be later in the game ounce you start moving into the other kingdoms.

Thank you so much for the info. I will surely save when I get to Prontera, but how do I get from Geffen where I am now to Morroc? Is there a warp in Geffen I can pay to use. I need to get morroc or I cant become a thief.

#17 EvilLoynis

EvilLoynis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1652 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 07:06 PM

Thank you so much for the info. I will surely save when I get to Prontera, but how do I get from Geffen where I am now to Morroc? Is there a warp in Geffen I can pay to use. I need to get morroc or I cant become a thief.

Ok to bring up the ingame map you have to press and hole the "Ctrl" + "~" buttons together. (ctrl+~).

As for directions from Geffen to Prontera yes I can help. Easiest way is to leave Geffen by the East (right) exit. East again, then South (Down). The East 2 times more and you will be inside Prontera at the West Gate. To recap from Geffen go East 2 maps, South 1, then East 2 maps and you will be in Prontera. These maps have passive monsters so you should be safe.

This is where I save most of the time when in Prontera. Don't save at the south gate as that area is filled with spam bots that will lag you like crazy until there muted.

Also if you want to walk from Prontera -> Morroc: South, South/West, then talk to the guard and ask him what happened, and he will talk about morroc. Ask him to send you to the info guy and he will teleport you off the map to Morroc. Be careful though as this map is dangerous. You can talk to the guards at the North, East or West sides to get to morroc. To get back to Prontera though by walk you need to talk to the north guard only.

#18 dedinvegas

dedinvegas

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 03:49 PM

Great topic, but as a newbie myself, I'd like to side with Mesif and FoxyWoxy, I love playing the archer class. Just to get to the thieves guild requires you to navigate through a labyrinthine dungeon filled with familiars that eat noobs for breakfast. This can be overwhelming even for the experienced novice. Not to mention starting out in Morroc is hardly ideal for a newcomer. If anyone is considering starting out as a thief I'd highly recommend going with an archer instead. In fact I think I'd recommend any class other than thief to a starting player.

#19 soudou

soudou

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1338 posts
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:EU abyss

Posted 20 April 2011 - 12:21 PM

For future reference of anyone checking here and non-VIP you can go straight to Izlude via the Blacksmith Guild in Geffen (the building bottom right corner of town). Inside behind the counter is a female Blacksmith who offers to send you to Izlude (think its free). Then just walk out of Izlude (bottom left dot) and head North to Prontera. If On Valkyrie be careful of people summong monsters for fun outside South Prontera gate. You may want to save in Izlude just incase!

Then from Prontera you can easily warp to Morroc.

(Just found this out recently as someone mentioned it on the forums).

Morroc ain't a bad start. Killing Picky and Drops outside the south entrance is good EXP for low levels. But yeah the Thief quest with the bats is a pain for some, bats are the eternal pests in gaming!

TIP: Always choose go to your job change place via Training Grounds by talking to the relevant class NPC. So then you will be in the right town immediately for becoming the class you want.

Edited by soudou, 20 April 2011 - 12:29 PM.

#20 Snorlitax

Snorlitax

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:47 PM

Thanks a lot for the directions on warping places!!

#21 Route66

Route66

I am New.

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 12:22 AM

Hi newbies! Don't know what Ragnarok Online is all about? Having trouble picking a server? Can't find anything useful on the official site? Well here's an informative introduction into the world of Ragnarok Online!

Ragnarok Online, or RO for short, is based on the Ragnarok manhwa series by Lee Myung-jin, who also helps develop content for the game. The story centers on Norse mythology, though it has influences from other cultures (mainly Asian). What makes this game unique is the anime styling of characters and the use of 2D sprites on 3D environments. The game utilizes the point-&-click mechanic so having a good working mouse will help you greatly as you adventure through the world of RO and live out your own story. The game is rated T for Teens due to mature content. The background music (BGM) is mainly composed by the Korean group, soundTeMP.

This version of RO is known as USA International RO (iRO). Because the developers, Gravity Co., is based in Korea (kRO), their version gets updated first before any other RO versions. Other versions of RO, including iRO, are able to modify the game to implement events, but are not able (or allowed) to drastically change the game itself (i.e. implement a banking system, create and add new items, change sprites, etc.).

In keeping with the series aspect of Ragnarok, major updates to RO are referred to as episodes. Check out this page to see the most current updates to iRO.

Currently, iRO hosts 3 main servers: two premium servers and a free-to-play server. The premium servers and the free server are different in terms of experience (EXP) and drop rates as well as other contents. The premium servers will always be updated at least two weeks before the free-to-play server.

(Character pictures shown are the covers of the Ragnarok manhwa with numbers denoting the volume of the book it's on.)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

The original 3 servers (Chaos, Loki, and Iris) were merged in 2010 into a new server name Ymir (pay-to-play server). In preparation for the merge, all guilds were deleted so current guilds on Ymir are no older than April 2010. The new server has a diverse range of players with a number being veterans from even the beta days. Just watch out for the Merchant flood in Prontera.

Posted Image

Yggdrasil is the newest premium server which opened October 2010. This server is ideal for players looking to start out on a fresh server with an unestablished economy and minimal veteran competition. As it is a premium server, it will have the same EXP and drop rate as Ymir with absolutely no difference in terms of game mechanics.

Posted Image

Sakray was formerly a premium-exclusive test server, which has been re-designated as a cross-server PVP server due to it being too old and unable to handle the Renewal updates. At this time, it is unsure when it'll be available to players again.

Posted Image

Valkyrie is completely free to play for premium subscribers and non-subscribers alike. Veteran players can also be found on this server due to the free-to-play (F2P) aspects and the offering of a more challenging gameplay. Certain items and services that can be found on the premium servers are either unavailable entirely on Valkyrie or cannot be acquired from monster drops. In addition, the server is also prone to a very high frequency of botting activities, mainly that of gold farmers. Real-money trade (RMT) is ILLEGAL and any player caught participating in RMT will be banned, whether the trade involves zeny or items. Newbie players are advised to avoid zeny-sellers in the game and report suspicious activities to the gamemasters (GMs) via WarpPortal Support tickets. Currently, there is no long-lasting effective method of keeping bots off F2P games in general, though GMs are always working hard to find solutions.

Just like any other MMORPG, the hardware supporting the game must be kept in tip-top condition for players to play. As such, iRO servers undergo maintenance every week on Thursday which usually goes from 1PM - 5PM PST. Be aware that the time is not set in stone as anything can happen and may require maintenance to go on longer than usual.

For a list of rules and in-game policies, see this page. To review the terms of service, click here.

Like many MMORPGs, RO has a job system, except RO's job system is more intuitive than most. Every player starts out as a Novice class job and have the opportunity to change into one of 6 general jobs and 4 expanded jobs. Seven of the 1st class jobs can advance into 2 separate jobs for a total of 14 different 2nd class jobs to choose from. However, only 12 of the 2nd class jobs can advance to transcendent class jobs through a special quest. The latest addition to the job system are 3rd class jobs, which can be advanced from either 2nd class jobs or transcendent class jobs. In terms of character design, the 3rd class jobs are most faithful to the Ragnarok manhwa.

With so many different jobs to choose from, picking one to start with can be tough. The most popular pick for a starting character is Thief because of the job's ability to deal damage quickly, the Steal skill to help increase one's zeny income, and the Hide skill to aid in avoiding stronger monsters. Another good pick is Taekwon since its skills do not require weapons to use (one less thing to worry about). Beware of Archer, Gunslinger, and Ninja as those jobs require purchasing a lot of ammunition, which can quickly drain zeny if you're not careful.

Don't know what you want to do in the game? Check out my ever-growing list of RO Achievements to give yourself a goal to aim for or see what can be done in the game.

The Kafra Shop, RO's equivalent of a F2P game's item shop, can be used by both premium subscribers and non-subscribers. Non-subscribers usually pay more for items in the shop compared to subscribers due to the fact that subscribers are already paying on a monthly basis to access the game.

To utilize the Kafra Shop, players must purchase Kafra Credit Points (not to be confused with Kafra Points you earn in-game for using Kafra services). After the account is credited with the points, players must then log into the game and meet a Kafra Shop Employee where you purchase items just like you would with any shop NPC in the game. Players who wish to dye their characters' clothing must purchase a clothing dye coupon from the Kafra Shop and visit the appropriate NPC to get dyed.

Kafra Shop items are account-bound unless otherwise noted. Certain items can be traded so before purchasing an item, read the item's description carefully and check the FAQ or utilize WarpPortal Support tickets and forums if you have questions.

Well, that's it for this introduction into the world of RO. I hope you enjoy your stay and I'll see you in the game!

Hi I am really new... In fact, I havent even joint yet !! The thing is i am unable to download the game. My connection is too slow for the 2GB download. What should I do??

#22 kati3

kati3

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationBehind you
  • Server:Classic

Posted 17 September 2011 - 08:39 PM

Hi I am really new... In fact, I havent even joint yet !! The thing is i am unable to download the game. My connection is too slow for the 2GB download. What should I do??

Ask a friend to download it for you and then copy it from your friend...

#23 MEGALION11

MEGALION11

I am New.

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:06 PM

hey im a lvl 50 thief i finished the mission to be an assasin but i didnt get the necklace i need to change jobs can you help

#24 Rafa07

Rafa07

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 909 posts
  • Server:Valkyrie/Classic

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:17 PM

Very good just edit something:

"week on Thursday which usually goes from 1PM - 5PM PST"

#25 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:19 AM

hey im a lvl 50 thief i finished the mission to be an assasin but i didnt get the necklace i need to change jobs can you help

Check out one of these threads for solutions.

http://forums.warppo...job-change-bug/
http://forums.warppo...job-change-bug/
http://forums.warppo...e-quest-bugged/
http://forums.warppo...-this-is-a-bug/
http://forums.warppo...ssin-job-quest/
http://forums.warppo...sin-job-change/

Very good just edit something:

"week on Thursday which usually goes from 1PM - 5PM PST"

Ack, they changed it again? Checking new times.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users