• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#1 theLeopard

theLeopard

I am New.

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:29 PM

thoughts, opinions on the upcoming sequeal to Ragnarok Online...

personally, I'm excited for a new game because I havent played iRO in years and rejoining the game this late seems impossible. anyone else excited? it went into open beta last month.

#2 theLeopard

theLeopard

I am New.

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:34 PM

Posted Image

#3 Medicine

Medicine

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:37 PM

If they can't keep the servers working in RO, why should anyone spend the money trusting they can keep RO2 servers working?

#4 LuxiLux

LuxiLux

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:41 PM

What makes you think a WoW clone with no appeal and originality would be popular in the country where WoW originated?

#5 theLeopard

theLeopard

I am New.

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:22 PM

but i want to play with people my own level... iRO is populated by adults and i would be a level1 baby. :(

Edited by theLeopard, 18 March 2012 - 02:22 PM.

#6 CeruleanGamer

CeruleanGamer

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7685 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Yggdrasil, Ymir

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:39 PM

Go ahead and play RO2, just don't drag people who don't want to play to it. :P

#7 theLeopard

theLeopard

I am New.

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:53 PM

Go ahead and play RO2, just don't drag people who don't want to play to it. :P

:D

#8 Talvis

Talvis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1985 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Midwest
  • Server:Renewal Chaos

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:49 PM

I would definitaly be interested in playing it. I haven't played RO for many months now because of a number of reasons, but RO2 could bring back my interest. I'm not as connected to some of the things people go gaga over in RO.
Some people see the customizability of the stat system, I see a system that totally screws over new players.
Some people like that sprites, while the chara design looks nice in sprites, it also limits what can be done.
Some people like grinding to death to level, it bores the hell out of me unless I'm in a good party of friends. I would rather have a lot of quest based leveling that's not just kill 200x monsters rinse and repeat.

That's my thoughts. But RO2 looks interesting and I may have to give it a try when we get it.

#9 Kimea

Kimea

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 136 posts
  • LocationWhere the sun shines
  • Server:Renewal

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:43 PM

I love Ragnarok Online, but I always have this feeling that it could have been better. There are lots of things they could have done, they could have given more life to it. It does have some lore, but they could have done more and make it much more deeper.

This game is a 3D game with Ragnarok Online 2 pasted on it. That is it.

#10 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Server:Classic

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:22 PM

I feel like RO2 is basically Ragnarok with worse graphics. :S I don't like the 'fully' 3D ones, they're ugly IMO. The sprites of this game actually look pretty nice. When games try too hard it's just ugly.

Edited by Ralis, 18 March 2012 - 06:23 PM.

#11 Randomititiy

Randomititiy

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 714 posts
  • LocationMy warm comfy bed
  • Server:The new one(s)?

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:29 PM

Probably do what most people already said not going to worry or try it since it doesn't interest me

#12 TheSquishy

TheSquishy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1871 posts
  • LocationHawaii
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:59 PM

Quite a few of us forumzereres, including myself, tried RO2 during closed beta.

Overall i was dissappoint and couldn'tt see RO2 worth playing.
Take everything good thing about RO and get rid of it.
Then add some ill conceived tank and spank gameplay, cliche class and stat systems and an unstable game engine.

That's RO2.

#13 Kimea

Kimea

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 136 posts
  • LocationWhere the sun shines
  • Server:Renewal

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:58 PM

I feel like RO2 is basically Ragnarok with worse graphics. :S I don't like the 'fully' 3D ones, they're ugly IMO. The sprites of this game actually look pretty nice. When games try too hard it's just ugly.

Totally do not like the way it looks. Removing the Merchant class was a mistake in my opinion as well. Sure, you got them as some form of profession or, "second life?". Geneticist and Mechanics are some of the unique classes we got in this game that we love so much. MvPs are a pain to deal with in the original but are totally rewarding when defeated. This is like a (I am sorry but I really have to use this game as an example) low class World of Warcraft clone with instances and a final boss in the end. This is, of course, my own personal opinion however...

Graphics, is such a pain to look at, in this age where the fight to create the best MMOs seems to be all about the richness of the graphics and the detail of the environments. This does not do Ragnarok Online justice. A very old online game that survives up to this day, will be given a mediocre facelift with the things that made it unique and fun, all removed. That is Ragnarok Online 2.

Edited by Kimea, 18 March 2012 - 08:00 PM.

#14 Chigikogou

Chigikogou

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1778 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:16 PM

Here is my opinion, about this..

In reality, I really like Ragnarok from some points.. which I really do not have to say at all.. but,
to be honest. Technology is expanding, I know Ragnarok in 3D isn't a big deal, since 3D isn't new, and this kind of RO2 graphics isn't as awesome as what you play in PS3 (Look at Square Soft, Capcom games)

Some of you may say I am stupid for this analogy, but consider this..
RO1 .. we are playing "Paper Dolls" .. it features a very cute portrait-and-coloured-sketch of Sailor Moon (example)
RO2 is a "Plastic Doll", it is new, it isn't as good and as cute as the Paper Doll.. the details aren't that profound as the Paper Doll but is more shapely and .. it isn't also very good on some ways .. but it says atleast a single phrase .. and is more .. grasp-able.

Also. about the "Feel" .. again.. another stupid analogy from my shallow minded-ness..

Here in RO1.. The Paper Dolls aren't just played by kids (Us players.. an example) .. since it was on the show for a long time .. some kids (The Game Pros who played for 1X years) MAKE paper doll designs and knows different ways to doll these paper dolls (Apology for the failure redundancy)

in RO2.. Yet to start, until played.

To make the matters short, there is too much God Items.. the game is "bulky" on my skin .. in real life.. it is like making a hut on an urban area..
RO2 .. I don't really care about other stuff, this game is pretty new.. and I am "just starting" to get used to it to make my own Plastic Doll clothings and etc.

#15 Morice

Morice

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • Server:Valk

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:26 PM

Played the beta, didnt have the 'ro' feel to it. Don't think I will be bothering with it. Just feels like another 'wow clone' as some of you guys pointed out.

#16 theLeopard

theLeopard

I am New.

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:46 PM

are there any support forums for new players??

x.x

#17 Chigikogou

Chigikogou

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1778 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:51 PM

*Okay, to block all those people who say this is a WOW clone*

I do not care if it is, all I need is a new game to play.

-end of statement-

#18 Luckywhiterabbit

Luckywhiterabbit

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1740 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:21 PM

If they can't keep the servers working in RO, why should anyone spend the money trusting they can keep RO2 servers working?

Because it's a new game with a new base engine/build, meaning that they don't have the same problems with the game being 10 years old and the original code buried beneath a maze of bandaids.

#19 Luckywhiterabbit

Luckywhiterabbit

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1740 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:24 PM

Totally do not like the way it looks. Removing the Merchant class was a mistake in my opinion as well. Sure, you got them as some form of profession or, "second life?". Geneticist and Mechanics are some of the unique classes we got in this game that we love so much. MvPs are a pain to deal with in the original but are totally rewarding when defeated. This is like a (I am sorry but I really have to use this game as an example) low class World of Warcraft clone with instances and a final boss in the end. This is, of course, my own personal opinion however...

Graphics, is such a pain to look at, in this age where the fight to create the best MMOs seems to be all about the richness of the graphics and the detail of the environments. This does not do Ragnarok Online justice. A very old online game that survives up to this day, will be given a mediocre facelift with the things that made it unique and fun, all removed. That is Ragnarok Online 2.

By choosing alchemist as your profession job, you can still have access to Acid Terror (which may be this game's version of the Acid Bomb)

It's not that they've removed those classes, it's just that they've allowed you to incorporate them into other classes. So, I could be a swordsman AND a blacksmith without having to make an alt account.

also, there's no need for merchant vend slaves anymore because every player can vend while they're logged out.

#20 Chigikogou

Chigikogou

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1778 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:41 PM

Fact:

People mistake Ragnarok Online 2:Gate of the World (the failure one, and ugly graphics and stupid penguin monsters)
to the current Ragnarok Online 2: Legend of the Second (OBT)

RO2:GotW

RO2:LotS

#21 idonothaveanname

idonothaveanname

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 775 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:38 PM

What I like about iRO is that its different from every other mmo out there, and the origionality of it. The main other mmo I have played is WoW, I have an 85 Death Knight and an 85 Paladin. What draws me into Ragnarok over WoW is there being so many classes to play. Different ways to gear and build your character. And choices of where to hunt and what to do with your time. Ragnaok is the epitome of an OPEN Rpg. No set story or quest line to set your path. The freedom of choice is what keeps me drawed into the game. And I dont think iRO2 will be the same as the origional iRO. Same World and characters but different gameplay.

I'll be an iRO fan till the day the servers go down. (Mentally crys to myself if this every happens. /sob)

Edited by idonothaveanname, 18 March 2012 - 10:38 PM.

#22 RennaSaintsworth

RennaSaintsworth

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1908 posts
  • LocationScarlet Devil Mansion
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:39 PM

I already sick with 3D MMO :p_sick:

#23 Luckywhiterabbit

Luckywhiterabbit

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1740 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:44 PM

My favorite thing about RO is the way it's geared so heavily around various items and what you can do with them. Most other MMO's just don't have the same satisfaction of killing a monster and watching loot spill everywhere, knowing that all of that junk is useful for something, however small.

For a packrat like me, that's heaven!

Edited by Luckywhiterabbit, 18 March 2012 - 10:44 PM.

#24 Mutoh

Mutoh

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:56 PM

Played the beta, didnt have the 'ro' feel to it. Don't think I will be bothering with it. Just feels like another 'wow clone' as some of you guys pointed out.

This is pretty much what i think of Ro2 too, but that argument of "wow clone" is lame and fanboyish.
It's like if i said "every single FPS is a Wolfenstein clone".
And yes, i've played WoW, get bored of it and came back to RO :p_hi: .

#25 GuardianTK

GuardianTK

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9388 posts
  • LocationIn a certain mansion
  • Server:Chaos Renewal + Odin

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:17 PM

I don't ever see how they can do large scale WoE on a 3D graphics engine where you'd see 50+ players in one room at a time without lag or some such.

The nice thing about RO is that it has little system requirements to play. A 3D engine would probably require a newer computer with better graphics cards if large populations were to react with each other. Did they ever try a stress test on RO2 to see what would happen to certain users if over 100 people were to be in the same area?

Edited by GuardianTK, 18 March 2012 - 11:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users