#1 Doddler

Doddler

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1035 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 12 September 2010 - 11:55 AM

So I'm not entirely against the drop penalty, I understand the purpose behind them, but I think the range of that penalty should be reviewed. Recently Korea expanded the penalty range, but we don't have those changes. Based on my tests (which could be wrong), I believe the drop penalty is something like this:

Current iRO
Same Level: 100% drops
+/- 5 levels: 90% drops
+/- 8 levels: 80% drops
+/- 11 levels: 70% drops
+/- 14 levels: 60% drops
+/- 17 levels: 50% drops

Current Korea
Same Level: 100% drops
+/- 31 levels: Small Penalty (About 80%)
+/- 61 levels: Large Penalty (About 50%)

The problem is that 10 level difference is the optimal point for experience, but you're already suffering drop penalty. I would really like it if you could consider getting the updated drop penalty, because the current drop penalties are incredibly harsh.

Edit: The current Korea it turns out is only on their test server, on maintenance of July 28th 2010. I've updated it to show roughly what we believe the drop rate adjustment to be.

Edited by Doddler, 13 September 2010 - 07:00 AM.

#2 Mwrip

Mwrip

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1295 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:43 PM

What I'm most worried about is our extreme lack of new players. Do we really need things like Raydric and and Whisper cards going to 300m+? One of the whole points of Renewal is to not completely screw over new players, and that's a big step in the wrong direction on that.

#3 LethalJokeChar

LethalJokeChar

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 322 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:52 PM

Another thing about drop penalties.... penalties for being levels BELOW the monster make no sense. If there are issues with OI doing too much damage, the more-damage-with-more-defense attribute attacks should just ignore defense of monsters, since, for all practical purposes their defenses are the same at each level.

#4 Mwrip

Mwrip

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1295 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...

Posted 12 September 2010 - 01:02 PM

Additionally, unlike Korea, we actually LIKE questing, and basically all of the story quests rely on drops way, WAY under your level to complete. It's bad enough that you can get something like 3% of the exp you need to max from interesting quests, but did they really have to nerf that even further?

#5 Kiehl

Kiehl

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 05:06 PM

I find the drop penalty an unnecessary punishment for the players.
Especially on Ymir where there is no even level distribution among the players (many 90+ / some medium level / few to none low level) this can easily bring to an even more screwed economy than we already have.

So my wish would ideally be to either have the penalty removed at all; or at least have the range extended or the penalty reduced (max 75% for example).

#6 Brindizer

Brindizer

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 444 posts
  • LocationDuluth
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 12 September 2010 - 05:15 PM

I think the penalty should be reversed into a bonus to give an additional incentive to go where you're supposed to.

#7 Soukosa

Soukosa

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 05:25 PM

Yes, they need to get rid of the drop penalty completely. iRO's servers don't have enough players to support such a thing. Not to mention its rather idiotic to put it in a game that requires getting drops from all levels of monsters for quests and such.

#8 Kitten

Kitten

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3077 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 05:31 PM

I think the penalty should be reversed into a bonus to give an additional incentive to go where you're supposed to.

That doesn't really make sense.

There's suggested leveling areas but no "right place" or "right way" to level. If there were the developement team may as well just make only the suggested leveling areas give you EXP and drops and anything else be a waste of your time... The point of an MMO is to be able to choose how you do things.

It's taking a lot of our freedom in game away. I liked the ease of farming on my high level characters, and I like being able to get my own items... I don't like the idea of having to use a character near to the same level of the monster to farm. That will require me to use more supplies while also requiring me to kill that character repeatedly if I wish to stay in that range... It's senseless.

This system will only cause difficulty for the majority of players, screw up the market, and do zero to combat bots. Leveling up low leveled alts is nothing to a bot farmer after all, but for the real players it requires real time and effort.

#9 Stalkerness

Stalkerness

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 07:29 PM

I needed 1 holy water to change to AB. I went and killed 25 porings, and for loot I got 2 jellopys and an apple.

I had to find my way to goats in order to get 1 simple empty bottle...

#10 Naida

Naida

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Server:Classic

Posted 12 September 2010 - 07:43 PM

I agree with others about removing the penalties completely, but I wouldn't mind too much if they let the exp penalty remain for those who are too low of a level. That way people won't leech/get slaved in one place and will interact more with other players (hopefully...) while also populating maps more that would normally be completely deserted 24/7 (unless you count the bots lol).

edit: I also think we should already have had a list (since there is none that I have seen so far...)since Ygg went online, that tells us what monsters are on what maps and what levels they are. I assume they are different than that of the monsters pre-renewal? And I'm not talking about the people that make databases unpaid and on their own time but I'm talking about an official map/list by Grav. The Henry NPC in pront is still a tedious way to level, and some of the maps you get taken to are rediculous. Penomenas to kill drainliars? Even for an aco with pneuma, that map is still a bad choice.

Edited by Naida, 12 September 2010 - 07:51 PM.

#11 Doddler

Doddler

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1035 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 September 2010 - 08:24 PM

Removal of the exp penalty would be disastrous with the current game balance, but drop penalty could probably be removed or adjusted without any major issues. RO is just too reliant on you hunting monsters for consumable items to be limiting item drops, in my opinion.

#12 Naida

Naida

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 September 2010 - 08:26 PM

Removal of the exp penalty would be disastrous with the current game balance...

How is that?

#13 joanne

joanne

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 572 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 08:51 PM

prob cause it will make us look liek we are a private server ~___~ besides when it comes to hunting for items some monsters of higher lvls do drop the same items have a look into what drops what and what else drops them there are allways a way to get what you are after i know some monsters in the new world drop huge leafs least i think that was the map i was on lol was lvl 105 or so at the time like this

Stem:
Nepenthes
Mandragora
Mandragora
Green Plant
White Plant
Les
Flora
Drosera
Muscipular
Yellow Plant
Blue Plant
Red Plant

can someone check what lvls r each of these and see if it has any merit of thinking about drop rates per lvls i agree tho bout the rates tho needs to be changed

Edited by joanne, 12 September 2010 - 08:54 PM.

#14 Pepperoncini

Pepperoncini

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 09:05 PM

How is that?

One reason is because EXP requirements and Mob difficulty ramp up very slowly, especially from 1-90. A lvl 70 mob really doesn't have too much more Hp than a level 40 mob. So without EXP penalty, certain builds would be able to fight monsters 30-40 levels above them and power level stupidly quick. Also, because maps have had their spawns reworked to be more streamlined, mobbing is a lot easier.

Joanne, the levels of those mobs are scattered from 1-114.

Edited by Pepperoncini, 12 September 2010 - 09:10 PM.

#15 joanne

joanne

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 572 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 09:37 PM

thanks cause atleast the options on where to hunt stems are all over the board then so you can change hunting areas most times

#16 Naida

Naida

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 September 2010 - 09:44 PM

One reason is because EXP requirements and Mob difficulty ramp up very slowly, especially from 1-90. A lvl 70 mob really doesn't have too much more Hp than a level 40 mob. So without EXP penalty, certain builds would be able to fight monsters 30-40 levels above them and power level stupidly quick. Also, because maps have had their spawns reworked to be more streamlined, mobbing is a lot easier.

Joanne, the levels of those mobs are scattered from 1-114.

I understand the reasons for having a penalty for fighting monsters that are a higher level, but a penalty for monsters that are a lower level? How would that be bad?

#17 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 12 September 2010 - 09:47 PM

I understand the reasons for having a penalty for fighting monsters that are a higher level, but a penalty for monsters that are a lower level? How would that be bad?

You're taking monsters that newbies need to level on and essentially making them compete for monsters that you can kill quickly and massively. That's not exactly a good thing.

#18 Hrothmund

Hrothmund

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2168 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 10:35 PM

Removal of the exp penalty would be disastrous with the current game balance, but drop penalty could probably be removed or adjusted without any major issues. RO is just too reliant on you hunting monsters for consumable items to be limiting item drops, in my opinion.

2nded.

OR

They could add the consumable items needed to higher level mobs, like how EDP bottles/karvo/stems are found on higher level monsters, but there are a HUGE amount of things that would need to take up drop slots on higher level mobs.

#19 Akihiro

Akihiro

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1235 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 12 September 2010 - 11:33 PM

In my opinion, due to the way our servers run, a complete removal of the drop penalty system should happen. No one is for it at all, and it seems to completely screw us over.

#20 Fibrizzo

Fibrizzo

Too Legit To Quit

• Members - No Sig
  • 1068 posts
  • LocationA Coruña/Galicia/Spain
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:16 AM

How are affected biochemists when are cultivating mushrooms or plants?

#21 morphine

morphine

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1123 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:25 AM

I definitely share the opinion that the drop penalty should be removed altogether on iRO.

#22 Draco

Draco

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:40 AM

Removed? Hell no.

Altered? I agree.

It's there for a few purposes, but my favorite is it is sort of an anti-bot measure. Though, if people vend said items, the price on them will be cataclysmic, I can understand the reasons why this method exists. Though for people that NEED to farm for certain items like elemental stones, this can be very troublesome and harsh on players. I think if you're 15~ levels LOWER then the monster, then the current rates are fine, but if you're 5~10~17 levels above it, the drops should be a bit more frequent.

Also, do these rates apply to MvP loots?

And I actually think the leveling system is fine as is. It stops power leveling and game breaking leveling methods (We've suffered those for a long LONG time now, so now people are used to it and demand the same.)

#23 Charon

Charon

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 992 posts
  • LocationSlovenia
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 13 September 2010 - 02:07 AM

Just get us the kRO drop penalties and it should be fine.

#24 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 13 September 2010 - 04:26 AM

Drop penalties like this would be an absolute catastrophy. I don't think even kRO's drop penalties would work - how does kRO get their supplies? Their basic items?
Their blue herbs and SP items?
Can you imagine what this would do to the market, with it becoming impossible to farm the low level items that everyone needs for quests and skills?

I really don't think this is playable....

Also, when the level difference is very large, the penalties seem even harsher than doddlers claims... I've killed plenty of red/blue/etc plants at 5x level, and gotten nothing, when i'd expect a 22% chance based on doddler's numbers. (which of course defeats the whole point of the herb plants existing, but that's a different story)

#25 Brindizer

Brindizer

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 444 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 13 September 2010 - 05:19 AM

I really don't like the idea of the drop penalty. It prevents the player from backtracking and going to any maps they'd like to revisit -- they'd simply be wasting time.

What I meant by a drop bonus was that players around the level of the monster would gain a boost to drops, similar to the way they do experience. But that's almost the same as punishing players outside that range, isn't it?

I'd like to see the drop penalty removed altogether. It'd completely bork endless tower too, because you wouldn't get to see the myriad loots left on the floor after the battle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users