New Gears and Old Card Sets - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

New Gears and Old Card Sets

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 FatherBob

FatherBob

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 426 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:05 PM

This game is entering into a death spiral that is being brought about by the new gears. There is an unbelievable amount of content in this game that is being tossed to the wayside because these new gears make the old sets pointless to use anymore. What's more is that even if you wanted to look into the old card sets, the new gears prohibit that from even occurring due to a lack of card slots. Now you have no originality, no way to mix up the game play and create something that is truly your own because the focus is all on one small set of gear, and if you don't have that you get flamed and insulted.

So what should happen now? Do we just allow this old content to be thrown away and discarded, or should we, the community, press Gravity to bring this old content back to life, either by allowing more stuff to be slotted to accept the cards or by making the sets more powerful?

#2 Helios0

Helios0

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2425 posts
  • Server:Chaos (Yggdrasil☻RIP)

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:27 PM

+1 to updating the Socketing and Enchanting lists

#3 Ramen

Ramen

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1990 posts
  • LocationEientei
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:28 PM

I could definitely get behind that.

#4 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA
  • Server:Chaos/Renewal

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:02 AM

I think the problem you are having is when you were using the card sets you were a noob and thought they were good. They have been mediocre since the day they came out if you had pro gear. Now, you have better gear you won't sacrifice for these garbage card sets. Congratulations, you're now standing where I was the day we got those card sets.

#5 FiskBlack

FiskBlack

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 742 posts
  • LocationMexico, Campeche
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:53 AM

I think the problem you are having is when you were using the card sets you were a noob and thought they were good. They have been mediocre since the day they came out if you had pro gear. Now, you have better gear you won't sacrifice for these garbage card sets. Congratulations, you're now standing where I was the day we got those card sets.

Even in pre-renewal some sets were actually useful, not the best obviously in WoE scenario but now they are garbage, some kind of update to those sets or cards would be nice anyways, dont you think?
Tough those sets and cards would never compete with the KvM Gears and MvP cards/godies.

This game is just boring besides WoE, those updates would help with the comunity in my opinion.

#6 Azerk

Azerk

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 425 posts
  • LocationMalaysia
  • Server:Chaos, ex-Valkyrie

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:04 AM

+1 to this.

#7 Scuba

Scuba

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3225 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:12 AM

You all super attached to muffler [1] or something?

Man! My chain mail [1] should be able to compete with a valk armor! HMPF

#8 CeruleanGamer

CeruleanGamer

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7685 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
  • Server:Yggdrasil, Ymir

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:19 AM

http://ragial.com/se...Ymir/ghostring#

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why are Ghostrings on Mink Coats? *pulls hair*

Thank you for desocketer. <3

#9 asayuu

asayuu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2762 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:44 AM

I think it's not the muffler [1] generation, but something like creating stuff like slotted Morpheus, slotted Goibnes, slotted Morriganes, slotted variants

#10 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:02 AM

Even in pre-renewal some sets were actually useful, not the best obviously in WoE scenario but now they are garbage, some kind of update to those sets or cards would be nice anyways, dont you think?
Tough those sets and cards would never compete with the KvM Gears and MvP cards/godies.

This game is just boring besides WoE, those updates would help with the comunity in my opinion.

They were all junk except the crusader set which gave holy armor for GC paladins on a budget, and merchant set which allowed OBP/OBB farming. Even then, owning an angeling card meant the card set was beyond trash to you. Even then, you could make an elite GC sader, better than one with this card set, with regular high tier gear and no holy armor. It was and continues to be for newer players without access to quality gears yet. Oh, and on OPB/OBB farming they were always not worth it, not sure why people paid out the arse for them. kafra band was about the only worthwhile thing after slotted glasses went out, and castles started dropping the kafra band, so there went that.

Edited by Jaye, 27 March 2012 - 10:03 AM.

#11 Azerk

Azerk

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 425 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:34 AM

Hunter set for +20% range dmg is really awesome IMO. sadly WW manteau didn't have slot for card

Edited by Azerk, 27 March 2012 - 10:34 AM.

#12 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:49 AM

Hunter set for +20% range dmg is really awesome IMO. sadly WW manteau didn't have slot for card

A lot of noob players thought that incorrectly, yeah. Thanks for helping to point out the problem with the card sets azyrk.

Making a uber specific gear set that does relatively the same damage as a kingbird weapon with 2 good accessories and denied you the ability to wear elemental armor, HP increasing shoes, a raydric garment, etc., was really noob but a lot of poor players without access to better gear used it. Pretty much the same as my paladin example.

Post renewal an orc archer or hunter bow with the right arrows will put that card set to shame without the complicated investment of carded gear so it is indeed more useless than it already was, true. Pointless card set is still pointless. There are a gajillion pointless gears in this game, always has been, not sure why special care should be given to these card sets to make them as mediocre as they were pre-renewal?

Edited by Jaye, 27 March 2012 - 10:50 AM.

#13 CeruleanGamer

CeruleanGamer

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7685 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:37 PM

A lot of noob players thought that incorrectly, yeah. Thanks for helping to point out the problem with the card sets azyrk.

Making a uber specific gear set that does relatively the same damage as a kingbird weapon with 2 good accessories and denied you the ability to wear elemental armor, HP increasing shoes, a raydric garment, etc., was really noob but a lot of poor players without access to better gear used it. Pretty much the same as my paladin example.

Post renewal an orc archer or hunter bow with the right arrows will put that card set to shame without the complicated investment of carded gear so it is indeed more useless than it already was, true. Pointless card set is still pointless. There are a gajillion pointless gears in this game, always has been, not sure why special care should be given to these card sets to make them as mediocre as they were pre-renewal?

Just a heads up... that person is Azerk, not Azyrk and he plays in Valk server. xD Don't worry I made the same mistake too.

But I agree...... so many gears need updating, it's ridiculous. *painfully stares at Wormtail card and Roda Frog card (LOL pwned by Eden Armor IV)*

We really need that suppose-to-come-out-soon "card recycler" feature in which we can dispose 100 cards in exchange for an OCA.

#14 Azerk

Azerk

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 425 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:34 PM

Just a heads up... that person is Azerk, not Azyrk and he plays in Valk server. xD Don't worry I made the same mistake too.

But I agree...... so many gears need updating, it's ridiculous. *painfully stares at Wormtail card and Roda Frog card (LOL pwned by Eden Armor IV)*

We really need that suppose-to-come-out-soon "card recycler" feature in which we can dispose 100 cards in exchange for an OCA.

:ani_wow:

#15 Tetsamaru

Tetsamaru

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1458 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:05 PM

I still question the fact of why Eden armor is too damn good. When i looked at the armo, i was like "Roda frog card?"

#16 FatherBob

FatherBob

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:19 PM

The hunter card set was the first thing that had me thinking about updating the old card sets and reigning in this splurge of new swiss-army-knife-type-one-item-to rule-them-all gears. Why be in such a rush to create new content when there is already so much that can be worked with?

#17 olbaid

olbaid

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:03 PM

I still question the fact of why Eden armor is too damn good. When i looked at the armo, i was like "Roda frog card?"

Eden Armor 1 has a level 26 requirement though. I use a Roda Frog Adventure Suit for rebirth novice or pre level 26.

#18 CeruleanGamer

CeruleanGamer

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7685 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:08 PM

Eden Armor 1 has a level 26 requirement though. I use a Roda Frog Adventure Suit for rebirth novice or pre level 26.

Roda Frog is only good for a Super Novice but even then, Pupa and Brynhild are better sources for HP.

#19 Heimdallr

Heimdallr

Too Legit To Quit

• Community Managers
  • 3654 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:33 PM

I think as long as you are talking about old cards we are on same wave length, they should be somewhat useful throughout the game.

But ancient gear like Shoes/muffler/chain mail those are meant to be rendered obsolete and nothing will really save them.

But set gear like Morpheus, Valkyrie Morgains etc I think there will be usefullness for them in the future.

#20 Tenshi143

Tenshi143

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • Server:valkyrie

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:35 PM

I think as long as you are talking about old cards we are on same wave length, they should be somewhat useful throughout the game.

But ancient gear like Shoes/muffler/chain mail those are meant to be rendered obsolete and nothing will really save them.

But set gear like Morpheus, Valkyrie Morgains etc I think there will be usefullness for them in the future.

S> +12 muffler ._. LOL

#21 Tetsamaru

Tetsamaru

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1458 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:01 PM

Slotted Shoes/Boots/Muffler/Manteaus are the new Slotted Hood/cotton shirt/sandles.

#22 FatherBob

FatherBob

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:22 PM

Yea we are totally not on the same wavelength here Heim. I'm focusing specifically on the card sets here. While the Valk, Morpheus, Morrigane's, Goibne's, etc. sets are good, they're still sitting in that same mold that the new gears are, in that the slots don't exist or are limited, and it requires all the gear to get the benefit, removing/reducing any chance to tweak/buff the set with either single cards or card sets.

#23 Heimdallr

Heimdallr

Too Legit To Quit

• Community Managers
  • 3654 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:37 AM

The card sets have utility, you just need a place to stick them methinks.

#24 Tetsamaru

Tetsamaru

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1458 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:53 AM

The card sets have utility, you just need a place to stick them methinks.

This could easily be remidied Heim if the slotter NPC's werent so limited. I get that those NPC's are pretty old, so maybe they could be updated. I mean, who bothers to slot chains and whips anymore? A couple of the choices still have use but most of them are largely obsolete now.

Slotted flower headgear?

#25 Hrothmund

Hrothmund

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2168 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:21 AM

There are some specific circumstances where a couple of the card sets could be useful (if*if*if*if), and could indeed be quite fun later on. alch set + merch set equipped at the same time for example has the overall same effect as a moonlight dagger without the need for moonlight dagger (and +2sp/hit instead of +3sp/hit).

Was fun to use on heat TKM's that didnt use union before rideword hat, and if you wanted to not swap from elemental sword to moonlight dagger on RD-RG. You had to have two hyrogiest clips though to cancel out the monster morph (not an issue for TKM's).

But yeah a lot of the older gear may be iffy, but when your a newb with only 2m to your name, being able to get a condor card for 100k or something can be nice. ditto on cheap morph/morrigane sets.

Edited by Hrothmund, 28 March 2012 - 01:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users