#1 DeathByCheese

DeathByCheese

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • LocationNO
  • Playing:Dragon Saga

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:57 PM

Hello everyone! Finally started an art thread in hopes of getting better and I need your help. Yes, yes you with the pants and the hair. Hell you can be pants less and bald for all I care. I will draw your requests for the low low price of a critique. A critique you say that’s easy! Why yes it is friend yes it is.

I am looking for good critiques nothing like, "OH THIS IS GREAT SO SKILLED" or "NEEDS TO BE MORE ANIME LIKE" looking for something more like "I like the way you did _[insert nice thing here]_ but __[insert what needs to be improved here]___ needs some work. Maybe you should ___________." Doesn’t have to follow that formula but you get the idea. Don't worry about hurting my feelings, you won’t. Be harsh

In order to avoid not getting a critique or bad ones I will need you to critique on the picture that has last been posted or any before (preferably last posted).

As for your request it is up to you. I can do your character (stylized), your pet (real or fake stylized or not stylized) Photo manipulations different mediums anything. I am just looking to improve.

*edit: Livestreams and or recordings of the picture you requested can be done!

tl;dr: Give me critique I make you pretty picture yes!

Below is the first picture:
Spoiler

(sorry i'll get my scanner working soon)

Edited by DeathByCheese, 11 April 2012 - 02:11 PM.

#2 Kerwell

Kerwell

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 490 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:27 PM

First.

#3 Miname

Miname

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2187 posts
  • LocationDefinitely in my zone
  • Server:Spamonica

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:48 PM

Yo, post that picture of Paris that you drew!

#4 DeathByCheese

DeathByCheese

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • LocationNO

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:54 PM

The loading screen one?

#5 Miname

Miname

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2187 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:54 PM

Yes, that one! Can't find the thread.

#6 DeathByCheese

DeathByCheese

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • LocationNO

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:58 PM

I think this is it.
Spoiler

Sobad

#7 Miname

Miname

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2187 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:12 PM

Yep, that's it! I'm not sure why but it struck a cord with me. Her face is transfixing.

Your inked bee from the first post is also great; it sort of looks like it could be a logo for a big-name skate shop. The fingers just need a bit of cleanup, and the arms could use some rounding. If I could draw myself, I would also make the petals around his next a bit more rounder and voluminous.

Edit: Perhaps make the right shoe a bit flatter?

Edited by Miname, 10 April 2012 - 11:17 PM.

#8 DeathByCheese

DeathByCheese

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • LocationNO

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:30 PM

Thank you for the critique! Yes the shoes and inking were giving me trouble definitely something I need to work on haha.
Any request? o;

#9 Miname

Miname

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2187 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:20 AM

Milky fanart :p_love:
Posted Image

#10 StormHaven

StormHaven

(ノ°▽°)ノ︵┻━┻

• VMod Retired
  • 5432 posts
  • Server:Dekard

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:41 AM

Spoiler

:p_smile:

#11 fyerolight

fyerolight

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 525 posts
  • LocationPuerto Rico
  • Server:Vyvern

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:09 AM

My forum avatar was drawn by the great abeja. I'll just post the drawings shes done for me when I have my old computer with me.

#12 Luckyin

Luckyin

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:54 PM

I don't know why, but it reminds me of Tommy from Toriko
it gives the same aura
:p_laugh: nicely done!

about the wings, you may have missed some small lines behind the arms (to link them to the back of your character) since the orientation of the wings is toward the center

Edited by Luckyin, 11 April 2012 - 01:54 PM.

#13 DeathByCheese

DeathByCheese

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • LocationNO

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:17 PM

I don't know why, but it reminds me of Tommy from Toriko
it gives the same aura
:p_laugh: nicely done!

about the wings, you may have missed some small lines behind the arms (to link them to the back of your character) since the orientation of the wings is toward the center

Ah yes well caught. Sometimes I'm in such a rush i forget about small details as such, but that is no excuse. :( Happens much to often.

Any request? :)

#14 xBayoo

xBayoo

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1412 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:36 PM

MORE BIRDS IS MY REQUEST

#15 StormHaven

StormHaven

(ノ°▽°)ノ︵┻━┻

• VMod Retired
  • 5432 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:51 PM

CAWCAW

#16 Calpico

Calpico

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:08 PM

I do like the stylization of your Bee picture, but, to show the volume of your breasts, you should probably properly draw them and round the the stripes accordingly. I red-lined it for you a little.
Posted Image
If you wanted to, you could draw a slouching position instead, but I think this is fine, too!

Edit: Also, I drew lines at the elbows just to show where they were.

Edited by Calpico, 11 April 2012 - 05:09 PM.

#17 DeathByCheese

DeathByCheese

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • LocationNO

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:58 PM

I do like the stylization of your Bee picture, but, to show the volume of your breasts, you should probably properly draw them and round the the stripes accordingly. I red-lined it for you a little.
Posted Image
If you wanted to, you could draw a slouching position instead, but I think this is fine, too!

Edit: Also, I drew lines at the elbows just to show where they were.

Thank you so much for the readline they really do help a lot! The female body has always been an issue for me especially breast placement due to it being such a sensitive subject. To high and they look weird, to low and they look old haha. It is definitely something i have put off to long in my studies.

Any requests? o;

#18 Calpico

Calpico

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:32 PM

Yeah, boobs can be tough, hahaha! Here's a nice tutorial for boobs and how to differentiate between real and fake!
http://foervraengd.t...maany-different

Uhh, draw whatever you think I'd like, huhuhu

#19 DeathByCheese

DeathByCheese

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • LocationNO

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:43 PM

Oh wow didn't realize there was a difference between how they acted when real or fake LOL. Learn something new every day.

#20 Luckyin

Luckyin

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:51 AM

Yeah, boobs can be tough, hahaha! Here's a nice tutorial for boobs and how to differentiate between real and fake!
http://foervraengd.t...maany-different

Uhh, draw whatever you think I'd like, huhuhu

nice link, it's funny
I think since "drawing" is on the fantasy side in contrast to "work" in reality
I personally think the fake one is better :p_laugh:

***the following stuff I say below is boring, you can skip it if you want
there is no one way to draw, as long as it look good (the artist point of view is the most important)
however, if we want to be acknowledged by everyone with our skills, of course following the regular path would be great shortcut
it's like Picasso, Van Gogh and Dali, they all start with "object mort" (sorry don't know what it is called in english), and portraits, reality approach to be acknowledged their skills so that they can
try other ways to paint
in my opinion, the same goes to drawing
unless you pursue drawing as a "serious leisure" (I have done a lot of reseach on that)
and want to be acknowledged as a great artist or mangaka, I don't think it's necessary to follow the regular path
in case you are taking it as a "serious leisure", you can post more of your drawings, and I can be real rough on criticizing your works since drawing to me is also a serious leisure (I have a lot of books about drawing, I can suggest you some interesting and worthy to buy)

#21 Calpico

Calpico

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:45 PM

nice link, it's funny

there is no one way to draw, as long as it look good (the artist point of view is the most important)
however, if we want to be acknowledged by everyone with our skills, of course following the regular path would be great shortcut
it's like Picasso, Van Gogh and Dali, they all start with "object mort" (sorry don't know what it is called in english), and portraits, reality approach to be acknowledged their skills so that they can
try other ways to paint
unless you pursue drawing as a "serious leisure" (I have done a lot of reseach on that)
and want to be acknowledged as a great artist or mangaka, I don't think it's necessary to follow the regular path
in case you are taking it as a "serious leisure", you can post more of your drawings, and I can be real rough on criticizing your works since drawing to me is also a serious leisure (I have a lot of books about drawing, I can suggest you some interesting and worthy to buy)

I'm going to keep this short because I don't want to argue on Bee's thread, but I disagree. You can "draw" beautiful and realistic things without it being work (look at Rae at offrecord, dayum), and you can do "work" in the fantastical genre. I do agree that there is no one way to draw, though.

#22 DeathByCheese

DeathByCheese

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • LocationNO

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:25 PM

nice link, it's funny

try other ways to paint

I have always wanted to pursue art as a career but sadly in the recent years I have strayed away from the drawing side of art and more into the Graphic Design portion where your drawings don’t exactly have to be perfect because anything you draw per say is just a thumbnail. This is due sadly to my high schools horrible scheduling system where classes like art are put in last so my main classes (and not so main classes) conflicted with any art class where i would have been drawing, but luckily i was able to go to another school mid day just to study graphic design so i was not away from art all together. This class gave me a lot of opportunities but sadly was a double edged sword. The longer I was in the class the less I focused on drawing things as i should, but drawing things fast and "good enough" so people can tell what it is. This class was 2 years so sadly I have fallen behind on a lot (drawing wise).

As for now I am just trying to get back into art after that 2 year "break" from drawing that has put me behind so far. I’m hoping that taking requests will force me to draw everyday because i don’t like to let people down. If I am able to get myself in the habit of drawing everyday hard studies will soon follow. You may critique as hard as you want it won’t hurt me one bit lol. Any books you can recommend would help me greatly. :)

Sorry for the rambling haha

#23 StormHaven

StormHaven

(ノ°▽°)ノ︵┻━┻

• VMod Retired
  • 5432 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:35 PM

Draw me like one of your french girls.
:p_hi:

#24 Luckyin

Luckyin

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:28 AM

I'm going to keep this short because I don't want to argue on Bee's thread, but I disagree. You can "draw" beautiful and realistic things without it being work (look at Rae at offrecord, dayum), and you can do "work" in the fantastical genre. I do agree that there is no one way to draw, though.

I guess I'm no good at expressing hah :heh: ,

***again very boring, you can skip it
all I wanted to say is that serious leisure require a strong commitment,
and in order to achieve leisure, work is necessary
by saying drawing as fantasy and work as reality is just some kind of metaphor
since drawing require creativity~~
a strong base knowledge (realistic drawing) can further improve our skills
using it as a starting point~~
anyway, that's my opinion~
btw I went to check Rae at offre cord, nice art :p_love:

#25 Luckyin

Luckyin

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:45 AM

I have always wanted to pursue art as a career but sadly in the recent years I have strayed away from the drawing side of art and more into the Graphic Design portion where your drawings don’t exactly have to be perfect because anything you draw per say is just a thumbnail. This is due sadly to my high schools horrible scheduling system where classes like art are put in last so my main classes (and not so main classes) conflicted with any art class where i would have been drawing, but luckily i was able to go to another school mid day just to study graphic design so i was not away from art all together. This class gave me a lot of opportunities but sadly was a double edged sword. The longer I was in the class the less I focused on drawing things as i should, but drawing things fast and "good enough" so people can tell what it is. This class was 2 years so sadly I have fallen behind on a lot (drawing wise).

As for now I am just trying to get back into art after that 2 year "break" from drawing that has put me behind so far. I’m hoping that taking requests will force me to draw everyday because i don’t like to let people down. If I am able to get myself in the habit of drawing everyday hard studies will soon follow. You may critique as hard as you want it won’t hurt me one bit lol. Any books you can recommend would help me greatly. :)

Sorry for the rambling haha

I see a lot of similarities in me on you :p_laugh:

***Personal story, if not interested, skip it :heh:
my dream was always to be mangaka and release manga
and I went to Visual Arts in college, which is quite similar to graphic design (photoshop, illustrator and indesign...) and more based on photography,
well, I think our differences would be the way we pursue drawing,
I would draw whenever I can such as in breaks and in free time (a lot of drafts~~ )
and my agenda and notes are all covered with my drawings (doodle)
As what I heard from you, you need to strengthen your motivation through requests and responsability from peers in order to improve your drawing (I hope I didn't offend you in any way, I'm trying my best to express it in a proper manner, sorry for my english)

do you have anyone you aspire of? like an artist, mangaka, author ?
It might improve your motivation by finding someone you truly aspire and admire
and by enhancing your motivation, it will obviously improve much more in drawing since you sill spend more time on it and more likely to enjoy the process of practicing

well, in my case, I do have a lot of motivation and very determined in improving my skills in drawing, but I think I really overdoing it (I do not have enough time to maintain a good friendship, so I only have few good friends)

anway!
I'm looking forward to your next drawing! :p_laugh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users