Advertising Ideas for Ragnarok Online 2! - Ragnarok 2 Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

Advertising Ideas for Ragnarok Online 2!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
41 replies to this topic

#1 Maka

Maka

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 991 posts
  • LocationLimbo
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:38 PM

I was thinking. When RO2 comes out internationally, would it not be a good idea to do a little advertising campaign? Perhaps we could come up with ideas now for such a thing. I was thinking a live action RO2 trailer. I base this off of a trailer i saw recently for another game I occasionally play. I'm not going to post it here, but if you want to see it I have it on my blog.

I think a little live action trailer made in the WarpPortal office could be funny, or perhaps a fan made contest would prove more fruitful. That would truly test the communities creativity. I think it would be lots of fun for all involved.

Anyway that's just one idea. What other ways could RO2 be advertised? Barring a TV commercial, because that's expensive, and may not prove successful enough.

My Blog:
http://mymemoryproject.blogspot.com/

#2 Sera

Sera

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4831 posts
  • Locationthis evil world
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:iRO Chaos

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:04 PM

Heim and Oda in a live action RO2 trailer.

This I must see.

#3 FatherBob

FatherBob

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:16 PM

They do need to get creative with the advertising for RO2, because there isn't ANYTHING for RO. I'm thinking something along the lines of an internet-based campaign showing off a 30-sec trailer and a longer 90 second trailer. I know a lot of people are going to be looking for graphics quality (best MMO trailer I saw was for Aion using DX11), but it also needs to highlight ease of play (if it's there), the diversity of the classes and some multiplayer action such as a large party getting together and taking down a boss or some PvP action.

I don't really see RO2 as being the type of game that could pull off a live action cinematic trailer like Prototype 2 does, however I could see a good CG cinematic trailer such like what Blizzard did for WoW with the original game and the updates, or maybe a short TV-style commercial like what was done for Starcraft II. Or something showing the game play through creative editing similar to this Call of Duty: Modern Warfare trailer.

Bottom line is that there are a lot of ways to show off the game and the world that it is set it, all it needs is a little creativity to make it appeal to the masses.

Edited by FatherBob, 15 April 2012 - 04:44 PM.

#4 Maka

Maka

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 991 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:37 PM

They do need to get creative with the advertising for RO2, because there isn't ANYTHING for RO. I'm thinking something along the lines of an internet-based campaign showing off a 30-sec trailer and a longer 90 second trailer. I know a lot of people are going to be looking for graphics quality (best MMO trailer I saw was for Aion using DX11), but it also needs to highlight ease of play (if it's there), the diversity of the classes and some multiplayer action such as a large party getting together and taking down a boss or some PvP action.

They did make some commercials. Most of them are very strange.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhgjisVsa3o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XDy7o96zx4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSwzdibuI7U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiqQppOZN_4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-_YJeqjMSo

Edited by Maka, 15 April 2012 - 04:39 PM.

#5 FatherBob

FatherBob

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:49 PM

Yea but while they may seem strange to us, consider the target audience of the commercial and everything strange suddenly becomes not so strange. Don't just think of the target audience as a "gamer" type, but look at the nationality of who the commercial is aimed at.

#6 Maka

Maka

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 991 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:59 PM

Perhaps, but wouldn't it be better to make a trailer that appeals to all audiences.

Edited by Maka, 15 April 2012 - 05:39 PM.

#7 FatherBob

FatherBob

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:14 PM

Well, it will have to appeal to the audience in that country. Consider that a commercial for a product in the US will not be the same as one for the same product in the UK, Canada, Mexico, Spain, Germany, France, etc, etc, etc. You have to localize the commercial for the audience, and thanks to targeted advertising that is incredibly easy to do for an internet ad campaign.

#8 Sera

Sera

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4831 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:54 PM

some things are universal

like ragnarok

#9 FatherBob

FatherBob

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:15 PM

some things are universal

like ragnarok

And Spam (the meat, not the digital crap). But you're still going to advertise for it differently based on where you are.

For example - this Japanese ad would NEVER see air time in the US. You would have to come up with something different to target the product towards an American audience.

But we're getting off topic here.

Edited by FatherBob, 15 April 2012 - 07:20 PM.

#10 Sera

Sera

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4831 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:50 PM

if rick santorum can be on tv, anything can

#11 TheSquishy

TheSquishy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1871 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:01 PM

if rick santorum can be on tv, anything can

Ah haa....ha..yeah but RO2 is bringing nothing new or interesting to the market.
What are they gonna advertise?

#12 CeruleanGamer

CeruleanGamer

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7685 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
  • Server:Yggdrasil, Ymir

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:07 PM

We should just do more RO1 commercials. :P

RO2 is not gonna end up well anyway.

#13 Maka

Maka

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 991 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:18 PM

We should just do more RO1 commercials. :P

RO2 is not gonna end up well anyway.

Advertising for RO1 wouldn't work. It's very hard to make RO1 appeal to a new audience. While RO2 isn't as appealing to RO1 players, it is set up for a much broader audience.

RO2 will actually be good for RO1. People who may be drawn to RO2's gameplay will be more likely to try RO1 if they like RO2. If anything RO2 will be the best advertisement RO1 will ever get.

#14 Hrishi

Hrishi

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2365 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:20 PM

Advertising for RO1 wouldn't work. It's very hard to make RO1 appeal to a new audience. While RO2 isn't as appealing to RO1 players, it is set up for a much broader audience.

RO2 will actually be good for RO1. People who may be drawn to RO2's gameplay will be more likely to try RO1 if they like RO2. If anything RO2 will be the best advertisement RO1 will ever get.

No. RO2 will further split the population of RO in general. I'm pretty sure that a number of players who play RO1 don't really care about RO2 at all (considering it's nothing more than a WoW clone) but will still like RO1's unique gameplay.

I would say talking about advertising for RO1 in an RO1 sub-forum would be more productive than you promoting your own blog.

Why do you think RO2 will be appealing to a new audience? It's just a WoW-clone style of MMO. RO1 has unique gameplay and can actually appeal to a broader audience.

Edited by Hrishi, 15 April 2012 - 09:22 PM.

#15 CeruleanGamer

CeruleanGamer

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7685 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:25 PM

Not really.... a World of Warcraft imitation mmorpg isn't exactly something that will draw a lot of audience.

What made RO1 so awesome is its simple 2d graphics and its outstanding presentation of the job system.

#16 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:30 PM

I liked RO2, but the only reason I liked it was that I got to see RO1s towns and stuff in 3D.

Otherwise it's a really generic 3D MMO just like every other...

The things that RO has going for it that would need to be carried over to the 3d world just aren't there. The job system is ok, but the stat limitations are appalling (from the perspective of comparing RO1 to RO2) - and it really will only appeal to people who played RO 1. There's nothing that stands out or makes it special. It's just like flyff, or as said above, cute WoW. Or PW. or EO. name anything.

#17 Maka

Maka

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 991 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:55 PM

Actually RO2 is really just Requiem with a RO skin. It uses the same engine and a lot of other things are similar. A big one that stands out is the Kafra Transportation system. Then again saying that is like saying Fallout 3 and Skyrim are the same game. But regardless I still see it bringing in a audience that isn't here. Requiem brought in a audience, and it didn't steal all it's players from RO. RO2 isn't meant to contend with WoW or SWOTOR. It's meant to compete in the F2P market, which it will. There are lots of people out there who play RO. Just not on official servers. At this point in time, a RO2 private server doesn't exist. Since RO2 is starting right out the gates as a F2P MMO, i see no reason for them to sprout up and steal all the players like they did with RO1.

People who haven't touched RO in 5 - 10 years might come back and try RO2. I see no reason to condemn a game that hasn't even fully released yet. Will it attract half a million subscribers? Probably not. Will it attract a sustainable audience? More than likely. I'm still excited to see how they implement WoE into a 3D space. I also hope for some interesting PvP options. I think Battlegrounds would be very fun in a 3D environment. Hopefully they can get that right, this time.

Edited by Maka, 15 April 2012 - 09:58 PM.

#18 Hrishi

Hrishi

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2365 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:00 PM

The point is you are talking about a completely different game which the majority of the population do not care about. Most of us care about RO, not RO2. RO2 is a sad excuse of a sequel to RO, taking everything RO had unique and throwing it out the window. I am not condemning the game, if that's what you like, it's your call. I'm just saying it has ZERO to do with RO and probably isn't going to interest a lot of people who frequent these boards.

So once again, why not talk about advertising ideas for RO instead? Talking about RO2 here is the same as talking about Requiem on RO boards, not many people care.

Edited by Hrishi, 15 April 2012 - 10:07 PM.

#19 FatherBob

FatherBob

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:00 AM

The point is you are talking about a completely different game which the majority of the population do not care about. Most of us care about RO, not RO2. RO2 is a sad excuse of a sequel to RO, taking everything RO had unique and throwing it out the window. I am not condemning the game, if that's what you like, it's your call. I'm just saying it has ZERO to do with RO and probably isn't going to interest a lot of people who frequent these boards.

So once again, why not talk about advertising ideas for RO instead? Talking about RO2 here is the same as talking about Requiem on RO boards, not many people care.

While I do agree that RO needs more advertising, the bottom line is that it will not happen. With all the effort Gravity Korea has put into developing a sequel for RO, they won't help out one bit for the US market to attract new customers to a 10 year old title. That job is going to fall solely on Gravity Interactive, and I highly doubt they'd foot the bill for it. It'd be better off for you to get FRAPS and script your own commercial if you want to see any ads for RO.

Edited by FatherBob, 16 April 2012 - 05:01 AM.

#20 Heimdallr

Heimdallr

Too Legit To Quit

• Community Managers
  • 3654 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:43 AM

There are advertising campaigns for all our titles, but I have a feeling that anything short of "taking over the internet" for the game is likely not going ot be what you want. That kind of advertising bill is out of financial ability, at some point the diminishing returns is it costs 10 dollars to get 8 dollars worth of new blood into the game. Some types of marketing work better on subscription based games games because you get your investment money back very near the begining of the player's lifespan rather than months down the road.

We do have to work within more modest means by trying to push the social networks as hard as we can and try to force some sort of viral campaign to take off. So far we haven't had the true viral effect where it webs out quickly brining 100,000s of views all for the cost of an interesting article or video or post. Viralness is a bit of art, and a lot of luck which is what makes it that interesting lightning strike to observe when it happens. If there is an advertiser that can 100% guarantee that s/he can make a viral meme anytime then they would be be crowned the ruler of the internet..

But onward to the reason I clicked the reply button. We do love the idea of fan made videos and art, it truly is one of the things that got Ragnarok off the ground in the first place. Any way we can help you guys and gals make such things and promote it is something we want to do. The stuff is purer when it comes from the fans, it is also more believable and easier to push when it comes from fans rather than company. Its like getting a product advisement from a sales person who works for the product versus from your long time friend. Even if the sales person is being honest and has more "data" to back it up the friends advisement means a lot more in your choice due to built up trust. Fans are more likely to trust other fans and view their having fun as something they want to participate in more so than us putting out 20 ads on the internet stating that RO is great you should play it now.

We have youtube and facebook pages for the idea of pushing the games both ourselves and advertising our fans love of the game as well, let us know what you want and we will work on it.

#21 idonothaveanname

idonothaveanname

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 775 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:13 AM

Is RO2 even coming to to the States soon? I have been reading a little bit about some beta testing going on but I have not seen any posts about it actually being released in North America. Do you have a date in mind?

Also an RO1 player who enjoys the game will most likely give RO2 a shot.There is no reason to have negitive feelings about a game that you havent played yet. From what I hear this new version of RO2 is suppose to be better then the origional failing version.

#22 Mowi

Mowi

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 367 posts
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:19 AM

Not very interested in RO2 myself (or any 3d games in general - so that's my own problem, I guess), but I will give it a shot just out of curiousity.

We do love the idea of fan made videos and art, it truly is one of the things that got Ragnarok off the ground in the first place. Any way we can help you guys and gals make such things and promote it is something we want to do.

Has there ever been a contest for anything of the sorts here? I'm sure we have skilled people that would make videos and stuff to promote RO if there was a prize involved. It is an almost free advertising campaign for you guys.

#23 Heimdallr

Heimdallr

Too Legit To Quit

• Community Managers
  • 3654 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

Yes we have done many contests for player created content. We usually receive very very few entries, prizes are always given for such things.

#24 CeruleanGamer

CeruleanGamer

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7685 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:22 PM

If we do make campaigns and events in promoting RO1, I will gladly participate in that but not RO2.

#25 Kiehl

Kiehl

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:24 PM

This is off the RO2 topic (since I don't like it at all) but on contest prizes:
the participants are still waiting for the prizes of the Ragnarok World Championship 2011 Community Events.
Ok, the main problem came from kRO, but anyway...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users