Do you think the new server will be able to retain the essence of old Ragnarok? - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

Do you think the new server will be able to retain the essence of old Ragnarok?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 euglena

euglena

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 221 posts
  • LocationThe Moon
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:23 PM

I remember when turn-ins didn't exist and we had to form regular parties. In GH there would always be a mag party with a priest on the cross. Those were fun times.

I'm worried that the server could endup like Valk meets pre-renewal, with Eden and all. Lately things are really centered on making things easier for those who can give money to the company by making things harder for those who don't purchase something. This in turn seems to ruin a lot of the fun in the game. (For instance reset stones and the whole turn-in system which seems like a gig to get even more reset stones to be bought...)

What are some of the things you're hoping to see/not see in the new server?
Personally I'd like to just like to play the same game I used to in 2006. I'm excited to see how this works out.

Edited by euglena, 14 June 2012 - 03:25 PM.

#2 xFireize

xFireize

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 777 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:27 PM

http://forums.warppo...ssic-ro-server/

#3 Senkasa

Senkasa

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3467 posts
  • LocationWaterloo, IA
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos, Classic

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:29 PM

We already have many topics for discussion like this... literally :p_sleep:

#4 euglena

euglena

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 221 posts
  • LocationThe Moon

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:29 PM

http://forums.warppo...ssic-ro-server/

That thread is locked!
Will the turn-in system be omitted or is the whole situation still vague? I browsed that thread but I didnt stumble upon much

#5 Senkasa

Senkasa

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3467 posts
  • LocationWaterloo, IA

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:30 PM

They may do the old-style turn-ins where you kill goats and such for a week or two and then the turn-in goes byebye. Key word: MAY. It's still all in planning.

#6 xFireize

xFireize

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 777 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:36 PM

That thread is locked for a reason.

Turn-in system is likely to be a part of Eden, which will not be there. I'm not too familiar with this "old-style" turns in, but the pre-renewal I know is a mindless grindfest.

#7 Senkasa

Senkasa

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3467 posts
  • LocationWaterloo, IA

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:39 PM

Thread was locked because they got all the feedback they needed. There will be an "Eden-Like" Group for starters, however there wont be any of the EXP Turn-ins so players won't be spoon fed, sorry.

They may do Monthly turn-ins or something like that to make the grind a little less tedious but they want as little hand-holding as possible and I like it that way.

#8 euglena

euglena

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 221 posts
  • LocationThe Moon

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:40 PM

That thread is locked for a reason.

Turn-in system is likely to be a part of Eden, which will not be there. I'm not too familiar with this "old-style" turns in, but the pre-renewal I know is a mindless grindfest.

Ditto, and that's what I'm hoping for.
I'm getting excited now that Eden might not be there!!!

#9 Niji

Niji

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2701 posts
  • Locationhell
  • Server:classic!!

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:53 PM

mindless grindfest good!! especially when you think all day at work something mindless is nice.

#10 Zodiac89

Zodiac89

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 326 posts
  • LocationSweden
  • Server:Classic

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:55 PM

Thread was locked because they got all the feedback they needed. There will be an "Eden-Like" Group for starters, however there wont be any of the EXP Turn-ins so players won't be spoon fed, sorry.

The thread was locked because it was turning into iRO wiki tirades/4chan style arguments. I also hope there won't be any exp turn-ins either, I also hope that there won't be any Eden equipment so everyone doesn't gets everything served on a silver platter and most item drops become useless/obsolete.

To answer OP's question: I honestly have no idea. But I hope that it will and I plan on playing there because it could turn into a great thing if we can get a lot of players playing.

Edited by Zodiac89, 14 June 2012 - 04:01 PM.

#11 Wiggles

Wiggles

Awarded #1 Troll

• Banned
  • 844 posts
  • Server:Ymir (Retired)

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:03 PM

An article I read by an eloquent journalist regarding the Zelda franchise had something to say about nostalgia, that I couldn't improve on if I tried.

You remember an old game as it was when you were a younger age, and when doing all the things you did were new, fresh and exciting.
However, when you decide to pick that old game back up again, often you are a maturer person, and doing those things is not as fun the second time around because you've done them all before.
You think about old games and remember the fun you had - but then you try and play them and wonder how the hell did I used to enjoy this.

I myself have done this many, many times with games from my childhood. So, I fear, the Classic server will not be as glorious as everyone predicts. A lot of people will pick it up at the start, and then remember the hatred they had for spending days/weeks/months grinding a class.

#12 Helios0

Helios0

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2425 posts
  • Server:Chaos (Yggdrasil☻RIP)

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:16 PM

this will NOT be reliving the glory of the old days..

this will be like a remake of something you "thought" was good... ex: 3 stooges movie..

#13 cybernetic

cybernetic

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2300 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:21 PM

None of us are playing this to "relive" pre-re leveling.

We just want WoE.

#14 BoingBoing

BoingBoing

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:57 PM

this will NOT be reliving the glory of the old days..

this will be like a remake of something you "thought" was good... ex: 3 stooges movie..

What exactly is the 'glory of the old days'?
We were getting tired of RO long before renewal even hit. If anything it's because renewal doesn't feel any less boring, that we are now having a classic RO.

Edited by BoingBoing, 14 June 2012 - 06:34 PM.

#15 xFireize

xFireize

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 777 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:27 PM

I guess the debate has started again. :p_sad:

I myself have done this many, many times with games from my childhood. So, I fear, the Classic server will not be as glorious as everyone predicts. A lot of people will pick it up at the start, and then remember the hatred they had for spending days/weeks/months grinding a class.

This is exactly why pre-renewal server is a bad idea, IMO. Why not use the time and money to actually improve renewal? Ymir is dying, remember?

#16 Ryleigh

Ryleigh

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 71 posts
  • Server:Chaos, Odin

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:08 PM

We just want WoE.

Huh. How about not trying to speak for everyone? I honestly could not care less about WoE. I want to, as you say, "relive pre-re leveling" with my friends.

Believe it or not, some people actually enjoyed the grind.

#17 Zodiac89

Zodiac89

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 326 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:14 PM

We just want WoE.

Huh. How about not trying to speak for everyone? I honestly could not care less about WoE. I want to, as you say, "relive pre-re leveling" with my friends.

Believe it or not, some people actually enjoyed the grind.

^ This. I want the whole package. With that said I still wouldn't mind a slight exp increase, such as 1.25x, 1.5x or 2x. But I definitely don't want something ridiculous like 3x or 5x just because some people only want to play on this server to get 99/70 on all characters and WoE without having to play the rest of the game.

#18 Bryan7

Bryan7

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSandiego CA
  • Server:yggdrasil

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:30 PM

^ This. I want the whole package. With that said I still wouldn't mind a slight exp increase, such as 1.25x, 1.5x or 2x. But I definitely don't want something ridiculous like 3x or 5x just because some people only want to play on this server to get 99/70 on all characters and WoE without having to play the rest of the game.

Hahahaha i agreeee with you!! Cyber make rawr again! LOL jk.... yeah i cant wait to play the game as it was back then, it was much

more exciting.

#19 KingOfBabylon

KingOfBabylon

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 900 posts
  • Server:Renewal/Transce

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:41 PM

Sounds neat, but will it be as active as people are anticipating? I'll definitely have to look up on this :]

Edited by KingOfBabylon, 14 June 2012 - 08:43 PM.

#20 idonothaveanname

idonothaveanname

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 775 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:53 PM

I plan on finding a guild that hunts MVP mosters. In todays time everyone can solo MVPs if they are high enough level and have the right gears/supplies. May not be so easy as a lvl 99 class 2-1 2-2. I may do some WoE if I get into a decent guild.

Long term goal is to become a billionaire /gg. I am not to worried about a huge population coming into the server. If we were to average 500 people logged on per day, I would be extreamly happy. But of course, the more people, excluding bots, the more fun it will be!

I am excited for this server though. Nostalgia? Yes. That dosent mean it will get boring though. People argue that if they can't reach max level in a few weeks they will get bored and quit. If that be true for that individual, then they are not a true pre-renewal Ragnarok fan.

We only have a limited amount of details as of now so its too soon to say if it will be a pre-renewal clone. As for the barebone basics we have been given, it feels pretty similar. Except for the cash shop of course, which will make the grind tremendously easier.

#21 Heart

Heart

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2871 posts
  • LocationSofa so good

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:12 PM

We just want WoE.

^ this
half of us are going so we dont see 50/56 suras in a guild GoHing in WoE
i dont really mind grinding abit...but GMs will help to get 99 non-trans then implement trans and thats pure grinding
it will be fun and if u think renewal servers are dying...then you should know they deserve to,if it cant hold its player base its not worth running

i smell a merger within 2-3months

#22 Aaronnn

Aaronnn

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 752 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:28 PM

We just want WoE.

z

#23 Zeniachan

Zeniachan

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 389 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, United States
  • Server:Classic Loki

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:45 PM

Mindless grinding in the same location for hours is what made pre-renewal RO fun. Oh, how I do miss Sleepers and Turtle Island...

Renewal's pidgeonholing of players into Eden quests and weekly turn-ins are part of what made post-renewal not fun anymore. There's no more mindless grinding, just lots of traveling and party searching and barely any combat, unless you solo grind (the exp from solo grinding is typically not worth it compared to doing daily quests or turn-ins.) Also so many 3rd class skills are situational (or random) so even during combat, you have to think too much, and it's mentally draining to some players. IMO that was fine for places like Biolabs, Abyss, Thanatos, and Thor Volcano which weren't meant to be soloable anyway, but to require that for every zone after a certain level just makes the game frustrating.

In other words, what I miss is being able to just run around on a 90+ monk and 1-hit or 2-hit enemies with Occult Impaction, get decent exp and fair loot (mostly things to sell to NPCs in high quantities from grinding so long, not so much rare valuables or anything.) Also, playing mage classes and vertical firewalling enemies--this can seem complicated at first but then the "Tetris Effect" sets in and you start doing it in your sleep, so it soon becomes automatic and you don't have to think about it. The only things you had to think about in battle, for the most part, were your HP/SP and what/how many monsters you could handle, lining up the monsters for your attacks (fire wall, ankle snare, grand cross, bowling bash, just to name a few.) Cast times of your skills, a few short global cooldowns (but no huge individual cooldowns like the 3rd class skills have. Storm Gust had enough of a cooldown, considering its power as a 2nd class skill.) Gear/weapon/ammo swapping in combat, if applicable (usually by hotkeying) and things like buffs/aspd pots. All of this can be followed in an autonomous pattern which only changes if you switch characters/builds/hotkeys, and is quite simple to grind through once you get that pattern. But when the pattern is thrown off, like renewal has done, it screws up this "mindless" method of leveling.

Of course, there are times where we wanted to actually think and focus on stuff while playing RO. We called those "quests" and "MVP" and "WoE/PvP". Renewal has really low quest EXP rewards for most of the old quests that used to give a lot more, like up in the millions. Those need to be reset to their original amounts for the pre-renewal server. Many of the quests I'm referring to were long, and often challenging; they would put players in dangerous combat zones such as Biolab and Thor to try and slip through a portal or interact with an NPC in the far corner of the map, which would often have heavy mobs of powerful enemies built up in that spot.

MVP drops should be worth something again--get rid of the Eden gears, they're not challenging at all to get, but they're a bit overpowered for noobs to be using. You know there's a problem when Eden gear is better than some MVP gear, even if it's just from one of the soloable MVPs like Orc Hero. (referring to Orcish Sword, as an example.) Renewal MVPs give better exp, which I thought was an okay improvement from pre-renewal but the drops (the real reason you'd hunt MVPs in the first place) need to be worthwhile--the closed-minded nature of the renewal market really screwed over their value, necessitating a "gear trader" NPC to get something useful (Eden Merit Badges) out of some of these uncommon, but unwanted gears. Also the MVPs should be challenging, some soloable, some not, but not overpowered like they have been. The Veins update made even the low MVPs overpowered, I hated that--I'd really like to see the old MVPs that wouldn't one-shot a moderately-well geared, level 90+ player built for MVPing with overpowered moves like Earthquake and Hell's Judgment. Really, those skills should have been reserved for Valk, Ifrit, Beelz and stuff. But that's just my opinion, take it how you will. >_>

I think all of this should be taken into consideration for the development of the pre-renewal server, to ensure its success.

#24 TargetMonster

TargetMonster

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:07 AM

I remember when turn-ins didn't exist and we had to form regular parties. In GH there would always be a mag party with a priest on the cross. Those were fun times.

I'm worried that the server could endup like Valk meets pre-renewal, with Eden and all. Lately things are really centered on making things easier for those who can give money to the company by making things harder for those who don't purchase something. This in turn seems to ruin a lot of the fun in the game. (For instance reset stones and the whole turn-in system which seems like a gig to get even more reset stones to be bought...)

What are some of the things you're hoping to see/not see in the new server?
Personally I'd like to just like to play the same game I used to in 2006. I'm excited to see how this works out.

the only essence of old ragnarok you are going to get is if you played on the valkyrie server pre-re doing woe and kvm

#25 shOrtz

shOrtz

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 944 posts
  • Server:bot infested

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:31 AM

+10 quadruple bloody pike :heh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users