Returning for Pre-Renewal Server (Need some advice!) - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Returning for Pre-Renewal Server (Need some advice!)

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 pdub

pdub

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationThe Interwebs
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Classic

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:07 PM

Hi all! I heard about the Pre-Renewal server and I got all kinds of excited to play some RO. I never had the chance to get into RO as much as I would have liked back in the day (and renewal doesn't appeal to me), so this seems like a perfect time to get back into the game. This summer I can play a lot :)

I need some advice though - I never really got to "end-game" before. Leveling characters up pre-renewal is quite a grind - I'm completely okay with that, I just don't want to grind up a character only to find it's not fun. I don't have much end-game RO experience, so I am looking for some advice on which job I should play!

I want to play a job that...
  • Ranged class (EDIT!)
  • Can level good solo (from scratch, obviously - no crazy items, no zeny, etc)
  • Useful for grouping
  • Effective in WoE (aka, not useless) (EDIT!)
  • Decent for MVP
  • Doesn't need a ton of crazy gear/cards to be good
I'm thinking about playing an archer/hunter. From what I remember, they were pretty good at leveling. I was thinking just a AGI/DEX build, because it's simple. I don't know how they are end game though - is hunter/sniper fun to play end game? I'd love to hear about your thoughts on the archer/hunter for this pre-renewal server, as well as any other suggestions.

What jobs did you guys play pre-renewal? What did you like about your job? pros/cons?

Edited by pdub, 26 June 2012 - 09:31 PM.

#2 Maux

Maux

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 247 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:12 PM

I would say a SVD Knight. Those are pretty easy to level, they are usually needed in parties for tanking/pulling. I used WoE and LK and I had lots of fun. About mvping, as it's pre-renewal, you will need parties to kill some good ones, but you should be able to handle weaker ones.

But still, as Ive played knight for so long, I'll probably play a sin this time :P
And about the hunter, sorry I can't give any advice on that as Im unfamiliar with playing one.

Edited by Maux, 26 June 2012 - 03:15 PM.

#3 pdub

pdub

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationThe Interwebs

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:20 PM

I would say a SVD Knight. Those are pretty easy to level, thei are usually needed in parties for tanking/pulling, I used WoE and LK and I had lots of fun. About mvping, as it's pre-renewal, you will need parties to kill some good ones, but you should be able to handle weaker ones.

But still, as Ive played knight for so long, I'll probably play a sin this time :P
And about the hunter, sorry I can't give any advice on that as Im unfamiliar with playing one.

I used to play a knight, it was pretty fun. Same thing for me though, I played one before so I will probably try something different. I was thinking about a critical sin, but from what I remember they require the +crit cards and some gear before they become really powerful. I might still play one, I'm just not looking forward to grinding those cards, lol.

Such a hard decision, lol :)

#4 dualcross

dualcross

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:22 PM

Okkaay so the only classes in my opinion that fits all of your criteria is a spear knight or hunter.

Spear knights can level fine solo with the bare minimum of an elemental spear weapon along with some grape juices. They're also well-built to Tank for parties in harder dungeons/MVPs and even to solo the weaker ones just fine. Spear knights are also great in WoE as long as you still take the skill Bowling Bash as that still remains the best damage skill in WoE. Another alternative would be a 2h knight and that would be just fine as well but slightly weaker in my opinion in party play until you get to being a Lord Knight.

Hunters are also very good for solo training/party training and provide good single target damage for party play. Problem is (just my opinion) is that hunters are pretty restricted in their role in WoE because your main role is to keep up ankle snare traps everywhere or to mass status effect the enemy guild w/ arrow shower. Sure you can take down a few people with quick DS's but that won't happen very often. But if you like very good ability in Solo PvE play and good support in PvE party play, and can accept your role as a trapper/status inflicter in WoE then by all means roll a hunter. (applies to sniper as well)

I can go much more in depth into this topic if you want more explanations but i tried to keep it as simple as possible.

#5 Maux

Maux

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 247 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:23 PM

I used to play a knight, it was pretty fun. Same thing for me though, I played one before so I will probably try something different. I was thinking about a critical sin, but from what I remember they require the +crit cards and some gear before they become really powerful. I might still play one, I'm just not looking forward to grinding those cards, lol.

Such a hard decision, lol :)

Yes, I wanted to make a crit sin, but they are really built around equips, like Morrigane set and stuff like this, So I'll just go for full Dex instead of Luck and rock some daggers and still be able to wield katars and not suck at it.

Edited by Maux, 26 June 2012 - 03:24 PM.

#6 dualcross

dualcross

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:25 PM

Might I also recommend a hybrid katar Assassin (an Assassin that uses double attack w/ Katars via Chick Hat) is also a very budget friendly choice and good all around as well, though veers towards solo PvE play.

Edited by dualcross, 26 June 2012 - 03:25 PM.

#7 Tommy

Tommy

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:28 PM

Hunter / Sniper is very fun and early WoE is good but once trans come out for WoE sniper isnt that great unless you can really get it geared. As far as another pretty fun class that doesnt cost a lot if built right and is good for everything you said would be a monk. Only really need an item or 2 and for soloing, Occult Impact works great on like turtles and sleepers. MVP well Guillotine fist, nough said. Since everyone is starting over also the zeny / gears would all be about the same.

Im personally going to be making a sage.

#8 SirDouglas

SirDouglas

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 625 posts
  • LocationBrazil
  • Server:Chaos(RE), Loki(Classic)

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:32 PM

I remember builds 99x 99y, archer 99 dex 99 agi, wizard 99 int 99 dex

#9 pdub

pdub

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationThe Interwebs

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:03 PM

thanks for the input everyone! Spear knight sounds like fun too. I played a 2h knight back in the day, so a spear knight would be something different to try. I think I'll probably stick with hunter, though. Since WoE won't happen for a while, and it is a once in a while thing, most of my time spent playing will be grinding and farming. So hunter should be fun :)

I remember playing Monk a bit before, that's a good idea also. My only problem with monk is that I have to play acolyte first, I'm not sure I want to do that again <_<

#10 cbgenoseven

cbgenoseven

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 252 posts
  • LocationSacramento, California

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:07 PM

I have a feeling a lot of people are goign to start hunters. It is going to be the easiest class for solo play with no gear and it will be the easiest class for gathering items and getting the gear you need. Pre Trans Hunters were like #1 or #2 damage class for when it came to MVP's. The only way you beat a hunter was if you could hide the MVP from it.

#11 cbgenoseven

cbgenoseven

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:08 PM

And the best build for a MVP hunter is 99dex, 99agi.

If you want a hunter build thats fun to solo with and doesnt require a lot of guild a lot of people go falconer build which was really fun back in the day. thats like 95 agi, 80dex, luk and int.

#12 Periphery

Periphery

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 161 posts
  • LocationBurnaby/Surrey BC
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:10 PM

Personally I'll be playing a monk as I haven't ever experienced a monk on a grindy server. Also champion I don't have that much experience with. Battle acolyte I've never touched either. Whole new experience for me ^^ I can't wait!!! The Aco part isn't hard especially if you have friends to play with a group up with , and a monk is a lot more efficient for mvping as long as you can get some SP recover items.

Edited by Periphery, 26 June 2012 - 04:11 PM.

#13 cbgenoseven

cbgenoseven

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:24 PM

well the MVP based monk is going to be hard to start at the beginning of the game. Agi monks will be easy to level but they will not be able to compete on the MVP's against a hunter or wizzard.

Best MVP Build for Monk is STR/DEX with a low amount of int.

#14 Ehdfbb

Ehdfbb

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:36 PM

Would a GC Crusader be good? because I dont think I can help on parties at WoE or MvP because I cannot have devotion. lol
Although I can alot of money to invest to find a main character

#15 cbgenoseven

cbgenoseven

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:41 PM

GC Sader is a great character IMO it is just going to be hard leveling a INT/VIT swordy in the beginning but if you can do it then you are going to have a headstart on the raydric/khalitz/Abby card market which is going to be /$$$$. And the elu from Chivs is going to make upgrading worth it for you as well.

#16 Ehdfbb

Ehdfbb

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:54 PM

GC Sader is a great character IMO it is just going to be hard leveling a INT/VIT swordy in the beginning but if you can do it then you are going to have a headstart on the raydric/khalitz/Abby card market which is going to be /$$$$. And the elu from Chivs is going to make upgrading worth it for you as well.

Hello thanks for the info. But I am curious about something, on some threads they are talking about

different monster spawn locations

I dont actually get what that means :p_laugh:

#17 pdub

pdub

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationThe Interwebs

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:37 PM

I think they said they may move around some monsters, and remove some of the annoying monsters. By annoying monsters, I believe they're talking about the really tough monsters in lower level areas. it's been so long since I played of can't really give an example, but I believe at some point they added tougher monsters that were scattered around easier areas, maybe it was an attempt to curb botting or something..? As for moving monsters, I'd be all for some changes as long as they're subtle. I don't really want them to move everything around, haha.

I really can't wait for this to go live. I've looked at the new renewal stuff and it doesn't interest me. Really excited for this!

Edited by pdub, 26 June 2012 - 05:49 PM.

#18 meoryou2

meoryou2

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1176 posts
  • LocationAFK in Ymir pront
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:52 PM

I would say a SVD Knight. Those are pretty easy to level, they are usually needed in parties for tanking/pulling. I used WoE and LK and I had lots of fun. About mvping, as it's pre-renewal, you will need parties to kill some good ones, but you should be able to handle weaker ones.

Umm yeah, pre-trans with the 13.2 MVPs and no one having any gear at all.... Yeah not gonna solo them that easy. This isn't the old school OrcLord doesn't have EarthQuake wussy MVPs that my battle brewer could mammo solo...

#19 Ehdfbb

Ehdfbb

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:53 PM

I think they said they may move around some monsters, and remove some of the annoying monsters.

By annoying monsters, I believe they're talking about the really tough monsters in lower level areas. it's been so long since I played of can't really give an example, but I believe at some point they added tougher monsters that were scattered around easier areas, maybe it was an attempt to curb botting or something..?

As for moving monsters, I'd be all for some changes as long as they're subtle. I don't really want them to move everything around, haha.

I really can't wait for this to go live. I've looked at the new renewal stuff and it doesn't interest me. Really excited for this!

Yea renewal sux and philippine ragnarok online along with it take a look at this,
I don't know if you guys know about this or does this take place on iRO too?
http://forums.levelu...rum/364-promos/
You will convert 500 or 1000 PHP worth of Rok points and you will receive those items for example and those includes WoE Supplies, Headgears, Weapons and even WoE Castle Drops & MvP Cards

#20 Maux

Maux

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 247 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:15 PM

Umm yeah, pre-trans with the 13.2 MVPs and no one having any gear at all.... Yeah not gonna solo them that easy. This isn't the old school OrcLord doesn't have EarthQuake wussy MVPs that my battle brewer could mammo solo...

I never said it would be easy, I said that it could be handled.
And weaker ones as in moonlightf flower. And of course they are not going to be killed easily within the first days when no one has gear, but I wouldn't answer the OP in two different time scenarios, one for the first month, and the other when people have better gears...
I remeber killing Moonlight flower, eddga, amon ra, phreeoni without many trouble back in the day.

#21 Nymmastal

Nymmastal

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 256 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:39 PM

Hello thanks for the info. But I am curious about something, on some threads they are talking about

I dont actually get what that means :p_laugh:

I don't know if all monster locations are being reverted or just some of them, but popular examples include:

gef_dun00 : Currently Hunter Fly and Poison Spore (previously only Poison Spore) [leftclick heaven for 1st classes]
juperos_01 : Currently Dimik and Venatu (previously only Venatu) [grimtooth heaven for assassins]
moc_fild18 : Currently Steel Chonchon (previously Hode) [firebolt heaven for mages]
gl_chyard : Currently Wraith, Ghoul, Zombie (previously Wraith, Evil Druid) [healbomb heaven for acolytes]

These monster moves happened years ago. A lot of the maps that experienced these monster moves were well suited for a particular task. As a result, these maps attracted a lot of people, turning the place into a hub for social activity. When the monsters were rearranged across the world, so were the players.

#22 meoryou2

meoryou2

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1176 posts
  • LocationAFK in Ymir pront
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:40 PM

I never said it would be easy, I said that it could be handled.
And weaker ones as in moonlightf flower. And of course they are not going to be killed easily within the first days when no one has gear, but I wouldn't answer the OP in two different time scenarios, one for the first month, and the other when people have better gears...
I remeber killing Moonlight flower, eddga, amon ra, phreeoni without many trouble back in the day.

Well pre-trans they were easy, but as trans came out they started beefing them up to be a bit more challenging - more HP,more hit needed, hitting harder because of the higher character HP ETC. I seriously doubt the GMs will take this into account and revert the MVP stats and HP back to pre-trans. Even the "easy" ones got a bit more difficult after trans came out, you usually needed at least a healer along unless you wanted to waste quite a lot of pot money. Even phree will hurt on a non trans now... it won't be utterly impossible to solo. Whether it will be profitable to solo will have to be seen, I think it will waste too much resources personally, I will kill it with a FS... either let the FS tank it or I tank it, depending on the gear situation.

#23 Aaronnn

Aaronnn

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 752 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:00 PM

I want to play a job that...

• Can level good solo (from scratch, obviously - no crazy items, no zeny, etc)
  • Useful for grouping
  • Fun in WoE
  • Decent for MVP
  • Doesn't need a ton of crazy gear/cards to be good

bard

#24 pdub

pdub

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationThe Interwebs

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:03 PM

bard

lol... mind elaborating a bit? I've never played a bard, but they're usually more of a support character... I'll have to go look at bard skills. I think you're probably trolling me, but I'll go look anyways.

Edited by pdub, 26 June 2012 - 08:03 PM.

#25 Aaronnn

Aaronnn

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 752 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:06 PM

solo stings / dark frames or something
strings in just about any party
strings / lutie your guild in woe, frost joke