Returning for Pre-Renewal Server (Need some advice!) - Page 3 - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Returning for Pre-Renewal Server (Need some advice!)

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#51 nixophilic88

nixophilic88

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:15 PM

that's interesting, back when I played many hunters were AGI. Do some hunters actually go INT instead of AGI? Isn't ASPD important for a hunter?

There are 2 builds that revolve around agi. 1 is pure DS build since casting DS is aspd dependant.
2nd build is auto falcon attack, which is very good pvp/pvm build but the stats are very spread out.
According to the requirements you stated, you need an all rounder build. So I strongly recommend going trapper, since trap/falcon damage can not be reduced. traps can kill mobs. they can be stacked, so u can kill MVPs. You can even 1 shot players in WoE when defending a castle. One drawback is you need skills to use this guy to its maximum potential.

In the end, it is your choice. good luck

#52 nixophilic88

nixophilic88

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:16 PM

Not to be rude, but to be honest Myzery is 100% likely to be a far more experienced hunter, as well as any other class, than most people you find posting on these boards.

Int is not an important damage stat for hunters. Yes it increases falcon and trap damage, but you shouldn't be doing falcon or trap damage in most cases, as double strafe is almost infinity superior. You only need as much int as you require to not run out of SP while double strafing, and that value is fairly low, especially if you expect to have magnificant on you in parties, or use the inn/sp items while soloing.

again run of the mill hunter. ur comment becomes instantly wrong when u say that traps < DS.
DS can not kill a good opponent. cannot kill mvp. cannot mob. u shall think before posting a comment

Edited by nixophilic88, 26 June 2012 - 10:17 PM.

#53 Dokey

Dokey

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 331 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:ReStart

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:24 PM

No matter what you make for a main, you should consider making a rogue for hunting gear that will not be readily available at the start of the new server and a blacksmith/ alchemist for vending any goodies you find for zeny. Alchemist would be good for when trans comes out (read: plenty of time to 99 it while focusing on other characters) -- you can use bombs to kill MvPs, and FCP/ Bombs are valuable in WoE. Downsides are cost for maintaining character and slower leveling. Stalker is also really fun for WoE, divesting people's stuffs (as long as they don't have FCP).

#54 Myzery

Myzery

They pay me to post.

• Banned
  • 6670 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:25 PM

Not to be rude, but to be honest Myzery is 100% likely to be a far more experienced hunter, as well as any other class, than most people you find posting on these boards.

Int is not an important damage stat for hunters. Yes it increases falcon and trap damage, but you shouldn't be doing falcon or trap damage in most cases, as double strafe is almost infinity superior. You only need as much int as you require to not run out of SP while double strafing, and that value is fairly low, especially if you expect to have magnificant on you in parties, or use the inn/sp items while soloing.

Thank you, I appreciate the kind words.
Tolrin isn't going to steer you wrong either. New(er) players need to be encouraged and given the most straight forward and practical builds and information available.
The only reason I was being a bit abrasive is because getting int on his hunter really isn't a good idea for an agi/dex build.

#55 pdub

pdub

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationThe Interwebs
  • Server:Classic

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:27 PM

Wizards are the strongest primary damage dealer pre-trans. This applies to soloing, partying, MvPing, and WoE, storm gust, and some of the other spells with bard support simply do far more damage than any other class is able to compete with. Wizards are pretty reasonable for soloing, but do require more "skill" than say, a hunter, since their soloing involves killing monsters without getting hit. Wizards are therefore more limited in the types of monsters they can hunt solo than a hunter would be, but generally are the most effective when paired with a healer.

As far as bards go, they can do most of the same things that a hunter can for PvM, but most bards would probably go for a dex > vit > int build, as opposed to the hunter dex > agi > int build. Theres nothing stopping you from making an agi bard, it would be quite a bit stronger for solo play, but it would be a lot weaker in WoE and a bit less useful in parties. Vit built bards would have a similar problem to wizards in terms of what monsters are available for solo targets, since their soloing would involve killing monsters with double strafe before the monsters get in range to attack you.

If solo grind is important for you, I believe that hunter is the best character to fit your criteria. Hunters are certainly the strongest for solo play in terms of variety of things you can hunt effectively, and are reasonable for parties, MvPing, and WoE, as secondary damage dealers, but they will never be in as much demand as bards or wizards for parties.

Edit@pdub: You are not mistaken, most hunters opt for high dex and agi, and moderate int for sp recovery. The dex/int suggestion is more of a niche build for claymore trap, which is significantly less popular.

thanks for the very helpful posts, it's been a long time since I played and I appreciate the detailed information.

Bard has also piqued my interest. I might be willing to sacrifice some offensive ability (of hunter) if bards are still able to solo well and are additionally much more useful for groups and WoE. I don't know if I could stand leveling a VIT bard though, I feel like leveling an AGI bard would be much easier. Is there any way to reset status points pre-renewal? Like could I go AGI bard to end game and then switch to VIT? (Back when I played, there was no way to reset status points)

Anyone mind to compare/contrast Hunter vs Bard solo efficiency? From what I understand, traps are a very useful tool for Hunters when soloing - it seems like Hunter would have an easier time? I guess my question here is: how much better are Hunters able to solo than Bards?

#56 Myzery

Myzery

They pay me to post.

• Banned
  • 6670 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:27 PM

again run of the mill hunter. ur comment becomes instantly wrong when u say that traps < DS.
DS can not kill a good opponent. cannot kill mvp. cannot mob. u shall think before posting a comment

You're just trying to troll now. Stop derailing this guys thread and let him get opinions from people who care if he screws his build up or not.
New players are the future of this game.

Edited by Myzery, 26 June 2012 - 10:31 PM.

#57 Myzery

Myzery

They pay me to post.

• Banned
  • 6670 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:30 PM

thanks for the very helpful posts, it's been a long time since I played and I appreciate the detailed information.

Bard has also piqued my interest. I might be willing to sacrifice some offensive ability (of hunter) if bards are still able to solo well and are additionally much more useful for groups and WoE. I don't know if I could stand leveling a VIT bard though, I feel like leveling an AGI bard would be much easier. Is there any way to reset status points pre-renewal? Like could I go AGI bard to end game and then switch to VIT? (Back when I played, there was no way to reset status points)

Anyone mind to compare/contrast Hunter vs Bard solo efficiency? From what I understand, traps are a very useful tool for Hunters when soloing - it seems like Hunter would have an easier time? I guess my question here is: how much better are Hunters able to solo than Bards?

There's a technique called ds dancing where you move right when you double strafe and do it again immediately by canceling the animation.
In that aspect when you're leveling on stings/hillwinds there's almost no difference between and agi build and a vit build. It's very easy to do when you learn how. I think iRO might have put a delay in there somewhere though, so I'm not entirely sure.
We don't know much about stat resets and such at this time. I imagine they will probably sell them though.

Edited by Myzery, 26 June 2012 - 10:32 PM.

#58 Tolrin

Tolrin

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:36 PM

The only stat reset that is generally available pre-renewal is the one you get when you rebirth your character. The GMs may offer some kind of stat re-allocation service as part of the kafra shop, but I think it likely that characters will be more or less locked into their builds.

For soloing, a hunter can pretty well kill almost any monster it feels like, either through use of ankle snare, kiting, or simply tanking the monsters with high agility. Bards are more limited in that sense since without ankle snare you are more reliant on kiting (keeping a distance form the monster while shooting it.) There are plenty of monsters that bards and hunters fight pretty well exactly the same way, most of them are slower monsters or lower hp monsters that you can kill before they reach you, but a bard would have trouble with say, an anubis for example, where a hunter would have no problem.

#59 pdub

pdub

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationThe Interwebs

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:59 PM

The only stat reset that is generally available pre-renewal is the one you get when you rebirth your character. The GMs may offer some kind of stat re-allocation service as part of the kafra shop, but I think it likely that characters will be more or less locked into their builds.

For soloing, a hunter can pretty well kill almost any monster it feels like, either through use of ankle snare, kiting, or simply tanking the monsters with high agility. Bards are more limited in that sense since without ankle snare you are more reliant on kiting (keeping a distance form the monster while shooting it.) There are plenty of monsters that bards and hunters fight pretty well exactly the same way, most of them are slower monsters or lower hp monsters that you can kill before they reach you, but a bard would have trouble with say, an anubis for example, where a hunter would have no problem.

That's what i figured. Ankle Snare appears to be quite glorious for soloing.

Bards, on the other hand, sound like they would be in much higher demand when it comes to finding parties. I might end up doing more parties than I think, just because I haven't played forever and I have no idea what's going on. I could just party up with peeps and rock out songs and everyone would love me. Hopefully. And as long as I could still solo pretty well, I'd be okay with bard.

Another thing I've been looking at is a Rogue that uses a bow... are bow-based rogues viable? I see they get DS and Vulcan's Eye, so I imagine they can solo in a fashion similar to bards. Gank sounds absolutely amazing for farming. The Divest skills sound like they're really good as well. If those skills work with bows, Rogue sounds really cool too. My only issue with rogue is that I have a feeling leveling a thief with AGI/DEX and low STR would really suck?

#60 Hrishi

Hrishi

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2365 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:07 PM

Rogue is a good class to solo with, that's for sure. However they have no use in parties. You would pretty much be stuck soloing for good because rogues have next to nothing to offer to parties.

#61 pdub

pdub

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationThe Interwebs

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:15 PM

Rogue is a good class to solo with, that's for sure. However they have no use in parties. You would pretty much be stuck soloing for good because rogues have next to nothing to offer to parties.

Good point. Gank sounds pretty amazing though, as far as farming goes. Someone above suggested it might almost be worth making a rogue initially just for farming.

How exactly does their Gank work? I never used Steal that much as a thief, so I'm not really familiar with the mechanics of steal. What exactly can you steal/gank from enemies, is it just their basic loot, or can you steal anything they drop? (cards, rare items)

Can you steal multiple items per monster, or is it just one successful steal per monster? (for some reason I feel Steal only used to work once successfully per monster, maybe i'm wrong)

If Gank is some kind of get rich quick secret, I don't care about getting parties.. lol :)

#62 Zinja

Zinja

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2348 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:21 PM

If Gank is some kind of get rich quick secret, I don't care about getting parties.. lol :)

consider this
1. new server no one with enough zeny to buy rares... if you do get rares do you expect to make killing profit?
2. server flow :-> few non transe 99-> woe 1 -> transe and extended -> woe 2
3. the few 99 non - transe will get there in a week or two as we have many very talented players and talented+ loaded with WPE.
4. Do you want to have a character that can get rares? by stealing/gank ? or character that can be strong in mvping/woe when transe hits....
5. Either way the rate at which you get rares from stealing << the rares you get from mvping ( initially because those will matter ).

choice of how you want to build things decides this.

#63 nixophilic88

nixophilic88

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:28 PM

You're just trying to troll now. Stop derailing this guys thread and let him get opinions from people who care if he screws his build up or not.
New players are the future of this game.

Lol. you are so juvenile. then moment someone proves you wrong, you call them troll. I advise u help yourself first and then OP.

#64 pdub

pdub

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationThe Interwebs

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:36 PM

consider this
1. new server no one with enough zeny to buy rares... if you do get rares do you expect to make killing profit?

True, but I mean Items and Zeny are both things I really like. ;) When it comes to farming I'd really be farming for items that I need, as opposed to items that I want to sell. I was just curious as to how effective Gank is.

Edited by pdub, 26 June 2012 - 11:38 PM.

#65 Balthi

Balthi

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 763 posts
  • LocationVeins, Arunafeltz
  • Server:Chaos (Ygg), Classic

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:37 PM

Can you steal multiple items per monster, or is it just one successful steal per monster? (for some reason I feel Steal only used to work once successfully per monster, maybe i'm wrong)

Gank has a chance of being autocast once the skill has been learned. The higher the skill, the higher the chances of success. The main allure is that it's passive, and doesn't cost SP, according to the wiki. So essentially, it'd be a bonus to have while leveling -- ctrl+clicking, and it'll just trigger by itself, without interrupting the flow of things.

The item selection is limited to whatever the monster normally drops, cards included, iirc.

Steal [which Gank uses] will only work successfully on a monster one time, like you said.

EDIT: It's probably underpowered and not worthwhile once the server matures, but the Rogue skill Mug may be beneficial in its nascent stages. As to how much it can gain, I haven't the foggiest.

Edited by Balthi, 26 June 2012 - 11:39 PM.

#66 nixophilic88

nixophilic88

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:48 PM

hunter vs bard

hunters can do most of the things u want ur character to do. bards do have some pretty good skills. but as far as I know, they cannot kill mobs. also I seriously doubt their MVPing ability. but if you are planning to double strafe leveling, bards are better due to better sp pool.

#67 Zinja

Zinja

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2348 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:53 PM

EDIT: It's probably underpowered and not worthwhile once the server matures, but the Rogue skill Mug may be beneficial in its nascent stages. As to how much it can gain, I haven't the foggiest.

Cramp Card on AOE Killers /gg

#68 Dokey

Dokey

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 331 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:56 PM

Gank has a chance of being autocast once the skill has been learned. The higher the skill, the higher the chances of success. The main allure is that it's passive, and doesn't cost SP, according to the wiki. So essentially, it'd be a bonus to have while leveling -- ctrl+clicking, and it'll just trigger by itself, without interrupting the flow of things.

The item selection is limited to whatever the monster normally drops, cards included, iirc.

Steal [which Gank uses] will only work successfully on a monster one time, like you said.

No. You can not gank cards, just like you can not steal a card. You can, however, gank/ steal equips and rares. It is also worthwhile to note that you can not gank with a bow, unless this was changed in the past year and I'm unaware.

#69 Balthi

Balthi

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 763 posts
  • LocationVeins, Arunafeltz
  • Server:Chaos (Ygg), Classic

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:58 PM

No. You can not gank cards, just like you can not steal a card.

Well, now I know.

#themoreyouknow
#knowingishalfthebattle

#70 Riakuta

Riakuta

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4153 posts
  • LocationNeed to Know
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:59 PM

No. You can not gank cards, just like you can not steal a card. You can, however, gank/ steal equips and rares. It is also worthwhile to note that you can not gank with a bow, unless this was changed in the past year and I'm unaware.

Actually there was a certain monster that you could Gank its card while it only dropped 7 items the Card being in Slot 7 making it possible to Gank. They adjusted it though so that an item replaced slot 7 and the card occupied slot 8. Gank steals any item from Slot 1-7.

I actually Ganked a Mi Gao Card... Not sure if that's an accomplishment though... Not sure how many years ago this was, but it was definitely Pre-Renewal.

Edited by Riakuta, 27 June 2012 - 12:01 AM.

#71 Ciel

Ciel

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • LocationExtreme Super South, Texas
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:14 AM

Here is my own 2 cents. Ajaja....

a) Bow Rouges - depends if you job 5o or not. At the beginning levels or Rouge-dom, you actually have trouble hitting some of the nice things Hunters and Bards hit [Geographers and stuff like that]. However, once you get past around Job Level 2o or so, your stealiness comes in and lets you have some decent damage. However, you will always get out DPS'd by a Hunter. That being said, Hunter's can't go invisible and possibly make someone loose an item.

B) AGI/DEX/INT Bard - a nice little hybrid build for partying of around 3~5 people, as well as a good soloer. You pretty much double strafe everything to death, which is what the majority of Hunters are going to do, anyways. However, DPS is lower than pure AGI/DEX Hunters, but you are SOOO much more desired in parties. Hell, if we are in level range, I would bother to kindnap you away to grind a lot. -coughs- HOWEVER, going AGI Bard tends to leave you Squishy!Bard, and that means that if you enter mobby dungeons or mobby places [Abyss Dungeon; Magma Dungeon Floor 2, etc.], odds are that you will get mobbed dropped eventually, loose your flee, and die. ;( Still, solo is good on this guy.

c) DEX/VIT/INT Bard - a WoE, party, and MvP Bard. Also a guild's [and Wizzy+Priest+tank quadra dream galore] build, essentially. VIT is so you can survive in more mobbier places as well. However, because you lack ASPD, it will be harder to level solo. Not impossible, though. But it'll feel like 'forever'. [Personally, I have used this one before, and just DS'd Geos and Hill Winds to death. Hill Winds can be trickier than AGI Bard, buttttt, you can survive more of them.]

d) AGI/DEX Hunter - a pure DPS build. Yes, you can get a LITTLE INT for falcon/DS, but in all honestly, if you are gonna auto-attack everything to death unless you desire to spend money on SP items. Won't matter, really, though. Outta SP? AUTO~~ WOO!!! They are excellent solo, and are still liked in parties when in places where bringing a Wizard is used for crowd control/Wizards don't do the best damage. [Places like Abyss Dungeon, Odin's Temple, etc]. I, personally, like having 1 Hunter in my parties, because if I get one close to me, they kill it. :D In MvP situations, they do the 2nd most damage on almost all MvPs, and when turned into Snipers later on, still are great. However, in WoE, you turn into pretty much but a trapping machine robot. Pre-Trans, you can still kill [woooo], but traps are still important nevertheless.

e) AGI/DEX/LUK - falconeer. INT is nice, too. It's almost like a pure AGI/DEX hunter, and depending on gears, can be practically as DPSy. However, the key word is 'geared'. Most don't dwell into this path as if they were to gear someone, why not AGI/DEX? Me, I LIKE falconeer 'cause I like birds. And birds bring non-reducable? OH YES.

I say Bard to choose... but I am biased 'cause I am going Wizard. So, there is a giant text wall to help you out with your choices, amongst other ideas here~ <3

#72 Dokey

Dokey

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 331 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:31 AM

No cards. They gave you apples :3 We know you wanted a card, but how about a nice snack instead?

#73 pdub

pdub

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationThe Interwebs

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:07 AM

I say Bard to choose... but I am biased 'cause I am going Wizard. So, there is a giant text wall to help you out with your choices, amongst other ideas here~ <3

thanks for the help, I appreciate the examples of builds for jobs I have been considering. Hunter looks really straightforward, which is appealing. I feel like it would be hard to go wrong with Hunter.

Now, I'm really considering bard too. How much INT do bards need?

#74 Ciel

Ciel

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • LocationExtreme Super South, Texas
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:20 AM

Yes, Hunters are really straightforward: DEX to 7o [or 8o], pump AGI to 8x~9x, then finish 99/99 AGI/DEX [for the AGI/DEX Hunter. LUK hunter is different.]

INT for Bard can range from anywhere. Most AGI/DEX/INT Bards get around 25~45ish [depends on what you desire to 'sacrifice'] as INT is the most important stat to make A Poem of Bragi... er Magic Strings - become most useful in the 'cool down' reduction. [AKA, Lex Aeterna and Storm Gust stacks.] [That is why it is not uncommon to see Clowns have almost 7x ish INT - or more - for WoE/parties~] DEX helps too, but not as much as INT. If I can remember.... [and without gears here]... it was about 75~8o base DEX, 8x-ish AGI, rest INT [which was around 4o] for some builds. Other went 9o/9o/3o[?]. ANYWAYS, INT changes. It depends on what you want. [Similar set-up with VIT Bard... except no AGI...]

Hope this helps?

#75 fasthands

fasthands

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:29 AM

Yes, Hunters are really straightforward: DEX to 7o [or 8o], pump AGI to 8x~9x, then finish 99/99 AGI/DEX [for the AGI/DEX Hunter. LUK hunter is different.]

INT for Bard can range from anywhere. Most AGI/DEX/INT Bards get around 25~45ish [depends on what you desire to 'sacrifice'] as INT is the most important stat to make A Poem of Bragi... er Magic Strings - become most useful in the 'cool down' reduction. [AKA, Lex Aeterna and Storm Gust stacks.] [That is why it is not uncommon to see Clowns have almost 7x ish INT - or more - for WoE/parties~] DEX helps too, but not as much as INT. If I can remember.... [and without gears here]... it was about 75~8o base DEX, 8x-ish AGI, rest INT [which was around 4o] for some builds. Other went 9o/9o/3o[?]. ANYWAYS, INT changes. It depends on what you want. [Similar set-up with VIT Bard... except no AGI...]

Hope this helps?

o =/= 0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users