new to ragnarok, need help - New Player Zone and General Guides - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

new to ragnarok, need help

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 dbtbandit67

dbtbandit67

I am New.

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 06:27 AM

finished most of the early tutorials, leveled up, killed a bunch of monsters, sold a bunch of items for zeny, chose mage as my job cause i like how they can inflict massive damage, havent done any of the guides for those yet

where can i hook up with other players to play the game with? i joined this game to play with other players so i'd like to get in on the action asap

thanks

#2 Tyre

Tyre

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 06:48 AM

welll actually a few things people will need to know first. Class is important (Mage, eh?) level is important, times you might be on, the server you play on, looking for leveling parties, fun parties, zenny making parties (though at that level focusing on levels is recommended).

Also, there is a section for looking for parties threads, so this will probably get moved there by a friendly admin eventually~

Anyway, I have several characters that I can play and level with, most are level 70+ though I think I have a mage around level 55? I play on Ymir server and love parties. if you play Ymir let me know what times you're up for a party (for example, I'm not really able to play till after 5pm est and even then I normally get off line by about 9pm est... usually I'm not even on for that whole time, but if you can plan a time we can meet up and such...). If you're on Valk then I can't help you much ^^... saddly most people solo in this game. It's primarily because you can solo and the exp is a lot better when you solo... so yeah... Get back to me through PM on here ('cause I probably won't go looking for this thread randomly) and I wish you luck :)

#3 dbtbandit67

dbtbandit67

I am New.

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:19 AM

hell yeah i picked mage, leveling up with that piece of crap dagger was agonizing, it took forever, i died like 3 times despite having hp left (can someone explain that to me actually)

said right there in the game that mage through magic inflict the most damage. now that's what i need. to level up faster and kill monsters faster so i'm not spending all my time endlessly leveling up and taking potions

#4 CatMuto

CatMuto

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 463 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:31 AM

1. Sometimes monsters have delayed attacks which end up hitting you after they die - mostly happened to me when my Novice goes for Spores in Training Grounds ..

2. Talk to the New Mage Manager (red-haired woman) outside of the Mage Guild. She'll teach you a few things, gives you Base and a few Job Levels. Then you need to kill 10 Pupa to get Chrysalis and then you have your final quest with her, which is a Trace Of Battle Quest. (Look via Google for a great screenshot-guide, make sure you have 2 Green Potion, 1 Red Gemstone and 1 Green Herb beforehand) Afterwards you get a Silk Robe from her.

C-A

#5 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 21 September 2010 - 11:00 AM

The mage training quest is a lot of work, for not much reward...

If you're on Ymir (the pay-to-play server) get level 1 firebolt and a rod-type weapon if you don't have one, go to prontera, then 1 map east, 1 map north and stay back from the Mandragoras and kill them with firebolt. Save the stems, and when you're tired of leveling there, you should have a big pile of stems. Go back to town and sell them to other players for 4-5k zeny each. :-) On valk, though, they're not worth nearly as much, and the map is unplayable due to bot farming there - a bot-free gaming experience is the biggest benefit of the pay-to-play server.

As for how you died as a novice while you still had HP, when you die on a novice, your hp gets set to 50% of your max hp, instead of 1 hp like it does on other classes. That was so that when you die as a new player, you don't have to wait as long/use as many pots to heal up (was more significant in the past, when a new player didn't get all those free novice pots, and went into the world with no pots a crappy knife and no zeny, at level 1/1 because the training grounds didn't level you then).

#6 dbtbandit67

dbtbandit67

I am New.

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 02:49 PM

holy crap

i'm gonna go back and create another character as a swordsman

i'm sure mage do have more firepower but it looks like you have to work a lot harder at it

so what kind of rpg is ragnarok? from the impressions i'm getting it's not like wow or final fantasy (endless leveling up, go to dungeons and caves to fight monsters and get treasure) it seems like it has a traditional rpg storyline where people can play solo and aren't forced to join parties

they have that ragnarok single player offline game on ds (saw it got mixed reviews) and the animated series

so i bet the storyline must be compelling

#7 antikv

antikv

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1285 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 03:05 PM

good luck with that i gave up when my mage's job lvl turned 47....and it felt impossible to lvl to 50 due to the stupid bots' existence...and i made a knight instead

#8 antikv

antikv

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1285 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 03:07 PM

also if u dont want to waste ur money or time don't bother playing/buying the ds version...honestly it sucks...the storyline and plot was epic fail...

#9 FoxyWoxy

FoxyWoxy

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 02:04 AM

Funny thing, Swordy is one of the hearder characters. Try these places and you might find parties http://irowiki.org/w...able_EXP_Quests

Gameplay: RO at the moment certainly is more flexable on how you want to play. Be a good or bad thing some classes play very differently when it comes to solo vs party. Keep in mind that it IS a RPG and escaping the need to Lvl up or finding better equipment is impossible. Some pros and cons about lvling...
Pros:
One lvl higher above someone else does not make you a god.
Equipment for most part is based on what you need rather than upgrading (getting frozen too much? no problem, equip the right armor and no more being frozen)
Cons:
Lvls 90+ can be killer to increase.
Rebirthing for most part is a must (con since you need to be lvl99)

Renewal: Renewal it the latest patch to hit our test server. Along with new classes its one big re-balance patch. It makes getting lvl99 lot easier (so con not really there anymore). The monsters you kill is being made linear. A lot of it is to make it more friendly to newbies. Hopefully we'll have it on our main servers within a month.

Story: Story quests start at lvl60ish. The game is based on a comic so the game has you playing a more supportive character, unlike some other MMOs where every player is THE main character. I enjoy the story lines myself but there are some arcs that allude rather than straight out explain the plot which some people don't like, think Resident Evil with the villian being the Umbrella corp.
Didn't play the DS game (don't plan to) but the animated series is just a spin-of from the MMO, so like Pokemon but horrible.

#10 EvilLoynis

EvilLoynis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1652 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada
  • Server:Renewal

Posted 22 September 2010 - 04:22 AM

good luck with that i gave up when my mage's job lvl turned 47....and it felt impossible to lvl to 50 due to the stupid bots' existence...and i made a knight instead

Ok I know how you feel. I have 2 Mage type characters, 1 Wiz and 1 Sage, and yes it was really trying to get them all the way to job lvl 50. I actually skipped that on my Sage at the time since that one was just going tobe a Endower slave. But my Wiz went all the way to job lvl 50. 95% solo to. The thing you need to do when your that high though is just to wait for 2x exp events really. Also while bots are a problem there are other places you can lvl. Check out my thread in this New Player Strat forum for a list of easy monsters to lvl with FBolt &/or FWall.

Also I am in the process of making another Mage for a HS Sage so will be going all the way to 50 this time. Currently at base 47.

#11 dbtbandit67

dbtbandit67

I am New.

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 06:03 AM

in creating characters, whats important to know about the different traits like: strength, intelligence, dexterity, agility, luck, vitality

in creating a new character (assuming their going to be a swordsman) what should the point distribution be early on?

what do you think about lowering dexterity and agility for increased luck and vitality as a way to level up faster in the early training mode?

i dont see what bad would come out of low dexterity and agility for a new swordsman training. after all, the early training grounds don't have you doing a lot of running or ducking. very simple leveling up

Edited by dbtbandit67, 22 September 2010 - 06:04 AM.

#12 VonBankier

VonBankier

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:35 AM

in creating characters, whats important to know about the different traits like: strength, intelligence, dexterity, agility, luck, vitality

in creating a new character (assuming their going to be a swordsman) what should the point distribution be early on?

what do you think about lowering dexterity and agility for increased luck and vitality as a way to level up faster in the early training mode?

i dont see what bad would come out of low dexterity and agility for a new swordsman training. after all, the early training grounds don't have you doing a lot of running or ducking. very simple leveling up

First you have to know what do you want to be after a swordman. Knight or crusader? You can come to this site to see this skills and decide which one of the 2 you want. Then go to gamefaqs ragnarok guides and see the stats distributions and how you should put them as you lvl up. These guides are outdated but until you're lvl 90 or something they work.

Edited by VonBankier, 22 September 2010 - 07:36 AM.

#13 FoxyWoxy

FoxyWoxy

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 12:52 AM

@#$% STAY AWAY FROM GAMEFAQS!

#14 Sera

Sera

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4831 posts
  • Locationthis evil world
  • Server:iRO Chaos

Posted 23 September 2010 - 12:56 AM

Use Himeyasha's skill simulator (google it) and irowiki.org for build ideas. Better yet, go to the irowiki forums, and look at the individual sections for each class and see how other people have made their characters in the 'post your character' threads.

The GameFAQs guides will cause you to fail in RO for the most part.

Edited by Sera, 23 September 2010 - 12:56 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users