Idea for Taekwon ranking, discussion welcome. - Proposals and Suggestions - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Idea for Taekwon ranking, discussion welcome.

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Heimdallr

Heimdallr

Too Legit To Quit

• Community Managers
  • 3654 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:40 PM

Today we are resetting the Alchemist ranks, and this begs the question about the ranks being reset as well.

Most of the hubbub has to do with what happens when a top ranker no longer plays, and how do they eventually get removed?

One way is the periodic reset for TKDs but that seems a bit harsh as it is pretty time consuming even on a server without many rankers competing.

An idea that could be done would be every week every TKD loses 1 "mission" from their total points.

So if "Bob's left Foot" had 136 missions completed, after next maintenance it would drop to 135.

This would only really effect those that aren't doing at least 1 mission a week to stay where they are in points. Which means MIA rankers will naturally be reduced to where they are overtaken by the up and comers. To me it seems more fair, but your feedback, especially if you are a ranker is welcome.

#2 Tamago

Tamago

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:55 PM

So what if you made a ranking for poison pot makers?....D:

#3 rivermans

rivermans

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationProntera in the World of Rune Midgard
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:56 PM

Today we are resetting the Alchemist ranks, and this begs the question about the ranks being reset as well.

Most of the hubbub has to do with what happens when a top ranker no longer plays, and how do they eventually get removed?

One way is the periodic reset for TKDs but that seems a bit harsh as it is pretty time consuming even on a server without many rankers competing.

An idea that could be done would be every week every TKD loses 1 "mission" from their total points.

So if "Bob's left Foot" had 136 missions completed, after next maintenance it would drop to 135.

This would only really effect those that aren't doing at least 1 mission a week to stay where they are in points. Which means MIA rankers will naturally be reduced to where they are overtaken by the up and comers. To me it seems more fair, but your feedback, especially if you are a ranker is welcome.

Heim while your idea seems good to you the inactive rankers need to be removed from the TK Rankings period as there are special benefits associated to being on the TK Ranker List. And how is it fair for people who are active every week not to be on the list when someone who hasn't been on for 40+ weeks is still on it. Do a 1 time reset now to clear the list of the inactive TK Rankers then institute the new system of losing 1 mission a week to create competition for a ranking. This way its not a drastic change, but at the same time you keep the players happy. As someone who hasn't been on a tk ranker is 40 weeks+ shouldn't be on the list anymore.

#4 individual

individual

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:15 PM

sounds good all around for all rankers.

#5 Heart

Heart

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2871 posts
  • LocationSofa so good
  • Server:Classic

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:25 PM

i like the idea, its good for new players too

#6 Senkasa

Senkasa

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3467 posts
  • LocationWaterloo, IA
  • Server:Chaos, Classic

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:42 PM

The idea is nice though it would take 136 weeks for "Bob's Left Foot" (Nearly Two and a half YEARS) to completely remove them from the rankings list if they didn't play anymore.

I know you don't want to be too strict on the rankers but there needs to be a definitive way to remove top rankers who don't bother even playing (Let alone logging in anymore) Or if they just deleted the characters but they're still on the rankings?

The main idea is nice for patience though it also means a long period of waiting....

I can't suggest anything better however, just providing my honest opinion on it.

#7 Heimdallr

Heimdallr

Too Legit To Quit

• Community Managers
  • 3654 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:35 PM

I know how long it takes to rank a TKD, I had one before, and it was fun, but when it reached 99 I was kinda at a loss of what to do with it other than make sure I didn't fall off the list.

Getting 7 missions a week really isn't hard to do, so while bob may be on the list for 2 years more, his lead shrinks, while your active TKD increases.

We don't really want to start comparing if x TKD logged in that week and such because it goes from an automated process at maintenance to a manual process that is 1 more burden on an already time contrainted group of people.

#8 Senkasa

Senkasa

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3467 posts
  • LocationWaterloo, IA

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:43 PM

Ah so it's an automated process. I see... I suppose if 8 points are knocked off in the next 2 months for inactive TK Rankers it works despite the long wait.

I like the idea regardless, props to putting that thought out for us to share our feelings on it.

#9 Scott

Scott

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1590 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:11 AM

If you could code it so the points drop in a multiplicative manner, it could work.

1 week without a mission done = 1 point lost
2 weeks without a mission done = 2 points lost
3 weeks without a mission done = 4 points lost
4 weeks without a mission done = 8 points lost

This counter would obviously reset if you do a single mission, meaning Active Rankers have nothing to worry about.

The issue with this would then become "is the game able to recognise such a decline?" Perhaps if you could edit the TaeKwon Mission skill to add it as a passive effect. Count how long the character (Note: Character, not account. A player may not play their inactive ranker on their active account) has been inactive, and when they log in, apply the formula to adjust the count.

This way, inactive players would lose 15 points in the first month, then 240 points in the second month. It's not so wildly harsh to people who take a month off, but if they take 2 months off, they deserve to be stripped of their rank.

Edited by Scott, 11 July 2012 - 12:15 AM.

#10 Senkasa

Senkasa

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3467 posts
  • LocationWaterloo, IA

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:18 AM

If you could code it so the points drop in a multiplicative manner, it could work.

1 week without a mission done = 1 point lost
2 weeks without a mission done = 2 points lost
3 weeks without a mission done = 4 points lost
4 weeks without a mission done = 8 points lost

This counter would obviously reset if you do a single mission, meaning Active Rankers have nothing to worry about.

The issue with this would then become "is the game able to recognise such a decline?" Perhaps if you could edit the TaeKwon Mission skill to add it as a passive effect. Count how long the character (Note: Character, not account. A player may not play their inactive ranker on their active account) has been inactive, and when they log in, apply the formula to adjust the count.

This way, inactive players would lose 15 points in the first month, then 240 points in the second month. It's not so wildly harsh to people who take a month off, but if they take 2 months off, they deserve to be stripped of their rank.

^ I like this idea, if it's possible to keep it automated in a way.

#11 ExDarkrb

ExDarkrb

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1234 posts
  • LocationSingapore
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:11 AM

^ I like this idea, if it's possible to keep it automated in a way.

I agree too, the exponential decrease is better. We definitely dun wanna wait 1 whole year and the top ranker with 700+ points to only drop by 1 point

#12 CeruleanGamer

CeruleanGamer

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7685 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
  • Server:Yggdrasil, Ymir

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:34 AM

Exponential decrease per week of inactvity like what Scott suggested is better imo.

If you do a clean reset now, people would be like.... "ah, I'll just do a lot of these taekwon missions and go back on perma vacation again" just to leave their name out there. It won't solve the problem.

So what if you made a ranking for poison pot makers?....D:

There's not too many of them and most GXs who make their own poisons also have a 2nd GX with DEX/LUK build as a poison maker.

Somewhat related: Is there a way to move the Taekwon mission update down so that the Cash shop icon isn't covering it? Thanks.

Edited by CeruleanGamer, 11 July 2012 - 03:42 AM.

#13 ExDarkrb

ExDarkrb

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1234 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:53 AM

Exponential decrease per week of inactvity like what Scott suggested is better imo.

If you do a clean reset now, people would be like.... "ah, I'll just do a lot of these taekwon missions and go back on perma vacation again" just to leave their name out there. It won't solve the problem.

There's not too many of them and most GXs who make their own poisons also have a 2nd GX with DEX/LUK build as a poison maker.

Somewhat related: Is there a way to move the Taekwon mission update down so that the Cash shop icon isn't covering it? Thanks.

Whoa ur screen is that small!?

#14 CeruleanGamer

CeruleanGamer

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7685 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:55 AM

Whoa ur screen is that small!?

Yeah... new computer. :(

#15 Hrothmund

Hrothmund

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2168 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:29 AM

This sounds like a great idea.

Dont like the idea of exponential loss though, I dont see why person A should lose 3x as many points as person B in the same week. If person A has been inactive for 5 weeks, they have already lost a lot more points than person B. No reason to undually punish them. (also it would be exponentially harder to implement, as you'd have to track every TK's position each week/every week as opposed to just -1 everyone)

#16 ValheruWolf

ValheruWolf

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 411 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:15 AM

The idea is nice though it would take 136 weeks for "Bob's Left Foot" (Nearly Two and a half YEARS) to completely remove them from the rankings list if they didn't play anymore.

I know you don't want to be too strict on the rankers but there needs to be a definitive way to remove top rankers who don't bother even playing (Let alone logging in anymore) Or if they just deleted the characters but they're still on the rankings?

The main idea is nice for patience though it also means a long period of waiting....

I can't suggest anything better however, just providing my honest opinion on it.

Um... not really. if he's at the top of the list with a score of 136 and the bottom of the list is 120 then 16 weeks for him to fall to the bottom of the list if the others are all doing atleast 1 mission a week. I think I like this idea a bit better, as heim explained, you do 7 missions a week, -1 for maintenace, you get +6 every week while he gets -1 every week, so from 0 points,
Week 1: you 6 Bob 135
Week 5: You 30 Bob 131
Week 15: You 90 Bob 121
Week 19: You 114 Bob 117
Week 20: You 120 Bob 116

So at 20 weeks of doing missions from having a total of 0 points for the ranking you will pass up Bob in the ranking list. hm so 5 months. to get on the top 10 list. that doesn't sound so bad. except that if there are more people also doing 7 missions a week that are already at 30- 60 points or so you still won't make it there as they will take over bob's place first.

I thinkt he exponential system gets way too penalizing over time, someone who disapeares for a couple months due to medical reasons or other real life issues won't want to come back and see all of their progress wiped that easily

The flat rate everyone loses same amount every week would be morefair and equal. If we want to test something with inactivity we could have an NPC to talk to that will stop you from losing a point that week (or if you talk during the week after maintenance you'll get your points you lost in the previous maintenance) means we can do a bigger number of everyone loses 2-3 points a week but if you log in, in eden you talk to someone and they give you those 2-3 points a week and is not timer based, but just reset when server goes down for maintenance and points are removed again.

Edited by ValheruWolf, 11 July 2012 - 09:18 AM.

#17 Trevoir

Trevoir

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:22 PM

I think the exponential decrease makes more sense.

#18 Rutana

Rutana

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1553 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:00 PM

I like riverman's idea, but I agree that it might not be fair to some persons.

How about this:
Announce there will be a reset for every ranker that doesn't fullfill a mission in one week. After the week passes, look who made a point and reset everyone else.
Inactive players get resettet, while active players keep the chance of staying on their mark. After that week, fullfill your idea of every tk ranker looses one point each week.

Personally, I loved TKRanker. But I haven't played my TK at all because of the existing rating, the lack of time and the unknown future for TK classes (will there be a 150 future for TKRanker, too?). While last question stays open, it would encourage me to play my ranker actually - I can still worry about her future when the TK update comes... so in 2 years or so XD

#19 CeruleanGamer

CeruleanGamer

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7685 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:47 PM

I like riverman's idea, but I agree that it might not be fair to some persons.

How about this:
Announce there will be a reset for every ranker that doesn't fullfill a mission in one week. After the week passes, look who made a point and reset everyone else.
Inactive players get resettet, while active players keep the chance of staying on their mark. After that week, fullfill your idea of every tk ranker looses one point each week.

Personally, I loved TKRanker. But I haven't played my TK at all because of the existing rating, the lack of time and the unknown future for TK classes (will there be a 150 future for TKRanker, too?). While last question stays open, it would encourage me to play my ranker actually - I can still worry about her future when the TK update comes... so in 2 years or so XD

I just made a ranker recently and man.... spamming the Taekwon Mission for a decent mob is much more troublesome than hunting. One time I got Arc Angeling and Bloody Knight.... lol

#20 Tetsamaru

Tetsamaru

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1458 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:21 PM

My first mission was Succubus................

F-THAT!!!

SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM.

Is it possible to edit the monster selection for TK rankers since we're still stuck at level 99 max? The mission selection was made with pre-renewal in mind so Renewal made alot of monsters virtually un-missionable.

#21 Hrothmund

Hrothmund

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2168 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:44 PM

My first mission was Succubus................

F-THAT!!!

SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM.

Is it possible to edit the monster selection for TK rankers since we're still stuck at level 99 max? The mission selection was made with pre-renewal in mind so Renewal made alot of monsters virtually un-missionable.

This would be a good idea, or say 115-120 at most (99 is a bit too easy). This would then include stuff like magma dungeon, ice dungeon etc but exclude stuff like juperos, thors, biolabs.

Unless of course they get a level un-cap so they can go to 150 sorta like super novices (without any bonus skills) since i dont think there will be and advanced ranker. That plus a 120 stat cap would let them hunt the higher up stuff.

Edited by Hrothmund, 11 July 2012 - 11:45 PM.

#22 Pril

Pril

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 562 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:35 AM

Or you know, just get rid of the whole ranking system and make the benefits innate? It's not like anything from it is anywhere near OP, and would probably at best put them slightly below the levelling capabilities of other extended jobs. PVP TK / TKM? lolol not even considerable. Name any real harm this would put other than destroying the efforts already put by other TKs, even though the decayed system might as well just do the same.

#23 CeruleanGamer

CeruleanGamer

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7685 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:50 AM

They are pretty awesome tanks in TI though. I've seen my friend break 25k HP as a Taekwon Kid and people thought he was third class. lol!

Edited by CeruleanGamer, 12 July 2012 - 02:50 AM.

#24 gabrielsoldani

gabrielsoldani

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 91 posts
  • LocationRio de Janeiro, RJ - Brazil

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:58 AM

+1 to exponential decrease. It's automatable and only decreases points from people that don't play.

#25 Heimdallr

Heimdallr

Too Legit To Quit

• Community Managers
  • 3654 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:42 PM

The exponential one is quite a bit more time intensive to implement than a straight decrease, as we then have to compare each week to each other rather than just updating the ranks as a whole, downwards. This means more likely to fail (if it is automated) or not done due to busy other schedule if it is done by hand. There are already too many little things to do and remember without adding another burden.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users