Something Something Something Classic, What about Renewal servers!? - Renewal Patch Notes - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

Something Something Something Classic, What about Renewal servers!?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
192 replies to this topic

#1 Heimdallr

Heimdallr

Too Legit To Quit

• Community Managers
  • 3654 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:32 PM

Alot of talk about Classic and what its negative effect has been on the other 3 Renewal servers. I have tried answering these threads, but I think consolidating the replies makes more sense. Overall the preface is, what happened with the Renewal participation was expected to some extent (new server with very different game play is expected to distract a bit), but there are major updates scheduled for this summer that are for Renewal. They are on track to launch on time unless things happen in testing to cause delay. Below will be my replies.

Look, mains have been boring for months now. We haven't received a good episodic update to the game in like a year. The updates we've gotten were the crappy localized towns that virtually nobody was looking forward to. We need malangdo island, new woe investment system, new battlegrounds GUI, etc to get people interested. My bet is on this classic server delaying any implementation of episodic content from Korea because the game staff has had their hands full working on designing classic server. Which points to my previous post about the classic server being damaging to the health of the main servers.

At least 2 of those things are happening in the next couple of months.

Classic didn't effect new content, because all the work was done by us, the development team was not a factor for its implementation. If any damage has been done it is the damage to myself and my cohorts here health due to long hours and the stress of making it work. I think that the image many players have of how episodic content is produced and distributed is not close to reality. Contents for delivery in July are worked on for translation and such back in April or before, and the groups that do those things were never a part of the classic server process.

Renewal and Classic are 2 different games. The play style is different and likely will diverge further as time goes on.

Right now CLassic is on old school mode, IE not much content in yet, but the base work of what is to come is there. We will be updating it every 2-3 weeks with small updates. Basically adding the maps/quests monsters in. And eventually PVP, WOE, Trans etc.

All the updates to get up to episode 12 (which is destruction of morroc) are planned to take anywhere from 9 to 12 months. So don't expect everything will be quick to get there, it already will be faster than most players can absorb the new content.

For Renewal, the update path is more normalized where we will continue to get content and system updates from the development team at regular intervals. The current update plan for Renewal servers is

WoE update, being tested presently : planned live implementation is early August.
Package 1 update contains Malangdo island and its cats paw traders. Both of these updates introduce a lot of new gear into the game, from the WoE side it changes what castles are available, new dungeon with WoE supply hunting, and new PVP oriented gear to gather. It also has a new dungeon investment system to allow non-guildies access to some of the goodies.

Both of these updates are slated for August on Renewal. Also the long term plan is Any 99/70 character on Classic will get copied (not moved) over to Ymir. This is part of that push to get more people into RO both in its Classic and Modern versions. Alot of talk of merge this or that.. Right now the answer is no.

Doing a merge of even a planned merger server like Ygg takes 2 months, Doing anything like that Ymir would take more time to work out, as the DB for that server is 100s of times bigger than the other servers. Before killing ymir there would be other things done to keep it alive such as removing the VIP requirement, or doing discounted transfers to it from the other servers etc. Ymir server really can't be merged due to the major difference in items, there is a different update that has to be done to mitigate the god item craziness first before any merger plan could occur.

All that said, it is way too early to talk about Ymir mergings especially since we have updates and events planned already to tend to those numbers. The current numbers were actually expected in the early days of Classic launch, things are going as planned.

Edited by Inubashiri, 11 July 2012 - 06:17 PM.

#2 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts
  • LocationWaterfall of the Nine Heavens
  • Server:All

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:49 PM

Thank you for that press release.

#3 Beata

Beata

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1493 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:08 PM

Thank you. Hoping this goes very well.

#4 CheddarJack

CheddarJack

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1972 posts
  • LocationNJ
  • Server:Valk

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:12 PM

i guess thats good

#5 cbgenoseven

cbgenoseven

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 252 posts
  • LocationSacramento, California
  • Server:Classic

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:14 PM

Cliff Notes: Stop server bashing! Its not the end of the world!

#6 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts
  • LocationWaterfall of the Nine Heavens
  • Server:All

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:18 PM

Heim I gave it a better title :D

#7 Heart

Heart

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2871 posts
  • LocationSofa so good
  • Server:Classic

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:19 PM

i lol'ed

#8 CeruleanGamer

CeruleanGamer

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7685 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
  • Server:Yggdrasil, Ymir

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:18 PM

roflmao nice.

#9 Eternal

Eternal

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:23 PM

eventually pvp? yay i guess im gonna have to play another character in the meantime >_>

#10 Wontel

Wontel

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:38 PM

Any Update on the Ninja content patch? :D

#11 GryphonYoyo

GryphonYoyo

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 338 posts
  • Server:ymir

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:39 PM

thank you for the heads up heim.........

#12 Furan

Furan

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:19 PM

Renewal needs moar Ninja love

#13 ItsMoonie

ItsMoonie

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:28 PM

Any idea when we might get new costume stuff?
The current ones are nice and all, but more variety is always great.
And it's something fun and harmless for people to spend a few $ on.

#14 MrTyranitar

MrTyranitar

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2298 posts
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:lol

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:53 PM

Can you please add an option to temporarily pause VIP subscriptions then, or something?
If we'll have to wait several weeks before Ymir regains any players, or something, it seems only fair.

And you were expecting Classic to nearly shut down one of your own servers? Maybe it wasn't the best idea so soon, then.
I'm sorry if this reply seems "angry", or something, but this is hardly the reply I was expecting, that I'll have to wait months for a potential that players will be coming back, and there's no current plans for the server.

#15 pikachiquita5

pikachiquita5

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 314 posts
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:23 PM

Can you please add an option to temporarily pause VIP subscriptions then, or something?
If we'll have to wait several weeks before Ymir regains any players, or something, it seems only fair.

And you were expecting Classic to nearly shut down one of your own servers? Maybe it wasn't the best idea so soon, then.
I'm sorry if this reply seems "angry", or something, but this is hardly the reply I was expecting, that I'll have to wait months for a potential that players will be coming back, and there's no current plans for the server.

^This. I've recently been paying for VIP on a month-by-month basis, I might just go and stop paying for VIP until I see the numbers for Ymir come up again. Although you're saying that the decrease in Renewal attendance "was planned," that still sucks for the players that are on said servers (and it seems bad policy to me, anyway, that you'd implement something KNOWING IT WOULD HURT A SERVER). The main benefits I got from having VIP was how it boosted TI ability; but now that there are hardly any people to do TIs with, I don't see a point in shelling out money for some time.

#16 MrTyranitar

MrTyranitar

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2298 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:35 AM

I still have like two or three weeks or something on my VIP. I wish I could pause it until Ymir actually gets players again.
None of the announced stuff (Malangdo/WoE update) are really gonna liven up Ymir. The WoE update just rewards the people for doing the same old, same old, if people weren't interested now, why are they going to be then?

And Malangdo is more or less a Kafra Shop expansion from what I've gathered with how it works in kRO. The good enchants are KP-only, unless iRO will do it differently.

iRO is so far behind kRO. USRC and Classic didn't help that at all.

Edited by MrTyranitar, 12 July 2012 - 12:38 AM.

#17 SilX

SilX

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:00 AM

If I'm not mistaken, iRO has to buy the new stuff from kRO. We're not as big as jRO so we're a touch further down the list of importance. If a merge can be done INTELLIGENTLY I'd be willing to chance it. If it's gonna be another Sakray > Iris type clusterbuck of bad idea...no thanks

#18 MrTyranitar

MrTyranitar

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2298 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:09 AM

GungHo (the company behind jRO) owns jRO so we shouldn't even try to mention them. They can rebalance as they please, etc. WarpPortal is more or less a distributor.
The question I ponder is how much would it cost for WarpPortal to purchase the rights to iRO in a similar way that jRO did? If a ball-park figure was announced, I wonder how many people you'd be able to get to help pitch in, considering it'd be incredibly beneficial to the servers. Faster update access (like jRO), we can rebalance, etc.

Although, I wonder if kRO would accept that sort of thing nowadays, back then it was probably different I imagine.

Edited by MrTyranitar, 12 July 2012 - 01:15 AM.

#19 Sabaton

Sabaton

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 460 posts
  • LocationFrance
  • Server:Classic & Valkyrie

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:21 AM

What about RENEWAL INTERFACE for classicRO? When? New client with timer into skill icon, Quest logs and party booking? New client for dual account?

#20 Raidius

Raidius

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • Locationmy chair

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:50 AM

thanks for the info heim, and this thread is about renewal stuff :P

#21 Dreimdal

Dreimdal

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 548 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:17 AM

Not the news I wanted to hear, but I appreciate that you're at least trying to keep us in the loop, rather than leaving us grasping in the dark. Thanks, Heim.

Still praying for one combined Renewal server as soon as is feasible.

Edited by Dreimdal, 12 July 2012 - 04:19 AM.

#22 sniperkenny

sniperkenny

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 653 posts
  • Server:Valk

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:30 AM

one classic server - one renewal
give everyone vip, as kafra shop gives enough money to run the servers

#23 gabrielsoldani

gabrielsoldani

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 91 posts
  • LocationRio de Janeiro, RJ - Brazil

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:04 AM

one classic server - one renewal
give everyone vip, as kafra shop gives enough money to run the servers

#24 ValheruWolf

ValheruWolf

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 411 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:17 AM

^This. I've recently been paying for VIP on a month-by-month basis, I might just go and stop paying for VIP until I see the numbers for Ymir come up again. Although you're saying that the decrease in Renewal attendance "was planned," that still sucks for the players that are on said servers (and it seems bad policy to me, anyway, that you'd implement something KNOWING IT WOULD HURT A SERVER). The main benefits I got from having VIP was how it boosted TI ability; but now that there are hardly any people to do TIs with, I don't see a point in shelling out money for some time.

sigh. Not "Was Planned" it's more "Was Expected" in other words their estimated of people who would jump to classic was about ball park of where it ended up and even then on forums a lot of people who had friends that weren't fans of renewal said others would come back to play on the classic, which means and overall jump in playerbase. Though the long term people who hit 99/70 on classic will get copied over to ymir means that when trans comes out and that's possible you will be able to join ymir for free without ever paying for vip heh. just gotta reach 99/70 in old style grinding though. sorry that yeah this summer is probably oging to suck on ymir, but they have plans to make things better though guessing as they work those out it'll be after summer is over is basically the only downside. You can always come join us on classic :)

Edit: to clarify. Planned makes me think they made people move where expected was more of a how many they thought would choose to move.

Edited by ValheruWolf, 12 July 2012 - 05:18 AM.

#25 Akin

Akin

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 827 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:25 AM

Sorry to be a negative nancy, but the logic behind the idea that copying 99/70s to Ymir or that a WoE 1 update will bring back activity to that sever befuddles me.

The people who left the server, left because they don't like renewal. Not because they didn't like WoE 1, and definitely not because they thought that having a 10th, 19th, or 28th character on Ymir might motivate them to play more.

When's the next balance patch coming?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users