[Classic] Need advice: mage leveling! ;o; - Mage Class - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

[Classic] Need advice: mage leveling! ;o;

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 ThisWasATriumph

ThisWasATriumph

I am New.

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:26 PM

Guys, I'm a 24/18 mage and I don't know where to level. The leveling guide on the old iRO wiki says to go to Floras, but I keep getting killed by aggro spiders. :(

The guide also says to go to strapos, but I can't seem to get on the airship at Izlude, it must be closed or something.

I'm not familiar with RO so I pretty much have no idea what I'm doing. If anyone has a mage leveling guide or something for the classic server that I could take a peek at, that would be awesome.

I have 15 DEX and the rest in int, with maxed firebolt and level 1 fire wall, if it matters at all.

Also, I have no one to talk to in-game or anything, I came back by myself when I heard about the classic server, so if anyone wants to add me and give me some advice, my character name is Erised.

Edited by ThisWasATriumph, 15 July 2012 - 06:27 PM.

#2 TheSquishy

TheSquishy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1871 posts
  • LocationHawaii
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:08 PM

Wolves
2 South of Payon.

#3 ThisWasATriumph

ThisWasATriumph

I am New.

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:10 PM

For how long? And where after that? :hmm:

#4 HitoHakoousa

HitoHakoousa

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Classic

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:18 PM

Until you reach level 40. Then, you can kill Hodes (2 maps down from Morroc).

#5 TheSquishy

TheSquishy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1871 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:19 PM

Till around 35 then head out to hodes (2 south of morroc) till about 45.
Then go level up your vertical firewall skills glast heim church yard.
One you have mastered the vertical firewall, kidnap and aco and do alarms till job 50 (base 67-69).

#6 ThisWasATriumph

ThisWasATriumph

I am New.

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:23 PM

Okay, thanks a lot. Being a mage on this game sucks bad so far. Slightest bit of lag? Let me just walk through your firewall and kill you. (super laggy right now with 2000+ players on. =.=) Oh, you were casting firebolt on that wolf? Here, let me just take that kill before your dumb green bar can fill up all the way. Just... ugh...

EDIT: There are like 100+ players at wolves right now. sadface.

Edited by ThisWasATriumph, 15 July 2012 - 07:24 PM.

#7 TheSquishy

TheSquishy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1871 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:29 PM

If you are confident in your ability to firewall you can do yoyos instead.
They give similar xp and hit harder. But that map is empty.

#8 Anko

Anko

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 804 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:02 AM

Mandragora, flora, argiopes, clocks, zombies in gh prison.

#9 Morlord

Morlord

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1433 posts
  • LocationOver There-->
  • Server:Odin

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:10 AM

I did it like this:
(9 Int/Dex/Luk)

Pure Int (until Int reaches ~70)

10 Fire Bolt
10 Fire Wall
(always raise them evenly)

up to level 30: Mukas with Fire Bolt and Fire Wall, until I could kill them with Fire Bolt only. (enough loot to afford Arc Wand)
from level 30/31 on: Hodes with Fire Bolt and Fire Wall until level ~46.

Always cast Fire Bolt, then move quickly away and cast Fire Wall and let the monster run into it. If it doesn't die, then cast another Fire Wall, your cast time will be too slow to cast another Fire Bolt attack in time before the monster reaches and kills you.

Another tactic would be to cast Fire Bolt and quickly run away so the monster will be off-screen by the time the Fire Bolt attack ends, then return to the monster and cast Fire Bolt again.

From level ~46 on you could try fighting Clocks inside the Clock Tower in Al De Baran, though I find this to be very difficult, when doing it solo.

Edited by Morlord, 17 July 2012 - 06:14 AM.

#10 Tetsamaru

Tetsamaru

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1458 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:17 AM

As a magic user, you need to get used to people killing what you cast. This isn't about kill stealing either.

Mage A starts casting on Monster
Melee player B walks on screen.
Melee Player B sees Mage A staring into nothing, think's hes AFK.
Melee player B kills monster then walks off.

In other words, players that walk on your screen AFTER you started the cast don't see you casting. They see some mage standing there doing nothing. It's not their fault at all. The game has always been like that as well.

Archers have it bad too. Take Geographers for example. 2 archers can start shooting the same Geographer from opposite ends of their field of vision and not know someone else is shooting it.

#11 Lithel

Lithel

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • Twitter:https://twitter.com/07DeadlySins
  • LocationProfessional hobo

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:27 PM

I cant even one shot Hodes yet with my FBolt and I am level 41, what does my int need to be to get these guys down in one shot? I wish I didnt have to worry about one shotting... but with all the KSers out here... my Firewall doesnt cut it.

#12 MrPizza

MrPizza

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:09 AM

I cant even one shot Hodes yet with my FBolt and I am level 41, what does my int need to be to get these guys down in one shot? I wish I didnt have to worry about one shotting... but with all the KSers out here... my Firewall doesnt cut it.

According to this calculator - http://rode.doddlerc.../calc/index.php

I tried job 30, 71 base int which put you at base level 45.

Firebolt 10 would do a minimum of 2310 - safely above a Hode's 2282 HP.

I was at mjolnir_10 at that level. Fewer (I'd be surprised if any) bots and definitely fewer KS'ers.

If I had rental gear, I'd be at Clock Tower.

#13 Lithel

Lithel

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • Twitter:https://twitter.com/07DeadlySins
  • LocationProfessional hobo

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:29 AM

According to this calculator - http://rode.doddlerc.../calc/index.php

I tried job 30, 71 base int which put you at base level 45.

Firebolt 10 would do a minimum of 2310 - safely above a Hode's 2282 HP.

I was at mjolnir_10 at that level. Fewer (I'd be surprised if any) bots and definitely fewer KS'ers.

If I had rental gear, I'd be at Clock Tower.

Thank you, I am looking at the calc. hopefully its not too hard to figure out on my own. But this gives me a good idea. So ty for the reply! :D And the suggestion on where to level, I will have to check it out.

#14 Nyroeon

Nyroeon

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 90 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:53 PM

Wolves is for people who can't play mage. There, I said it.

Max firewall as soon as you're able to (j21) and go right into the argiope map (two north of pront once you're out the castle.) You'll struggle a bit in the beginning, but you can get from mid 20s to 50 in no time at all. I always take my noob mage to mandragoras, also a few maps off pront, until I get firewall 8-10. It's fast and you don't have to deal with people killing the wolf you're slow-casting your level 10 firebolt on.

#15 cbgenoseven

cbgenoseven

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 252 posts
  • LocationSacramento, California

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:28 PM

if you are 40+ work on getting the hang of vertical firewalling. Then head to stings. If you can stay alive for 1 hour you should be able to gain a ton of levels.

Tips about Stings:

If your FWALL breaks and sting is coming to you = RUN

If you are killing a sting and a cramp spawns on you = RUN

If you run into a cramp = RUN

Early stings leveling requires staying alive not killing things. The bards on the map will cleanup anything you fwing from.

#16 Morlord

Morlord

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1433 posts
  • LocationOver There-->
  • Server:Odin

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:49 AM

Any suggestions where to level as Wizard?
I'm 69/27 at the moment (99 int / 21 dex) and Alarms are getting boring and slow D:

I thought about trying Stings once, but Glast Heim is a maze for me @.@

#17 MrPizza

MrPizza

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:14 PM

Any suggestions where to level as Wizard?
I'm 69/27 at the moment (99 int / 21 dex) and Alarms are getting boring and slow D:

I thought about trying Stings once, but Glast Heim is a maze for me @.@

All good places for leveling have aggro so be ready to teleport at a moment's notice or don't mob so much you have to abandon precious loot like a card.

THE safest and least stressful place you could go to for your level would be Glast Churchyard (the map with the + in the middle). Just VFW the undead and kill a Hunterfly if you have to.

Directions for Stings.

Go to the bottom-middle portal in Glast Heim.

Now get to the top-left portal.

You'll end up in the map with a + in the middle from the top warp. There are three remaining portals (bottom, left, and right).

Enter the left portal. Watch out for crocodiles, gargoyles, or pesky rodents when you spawn.

Now you just need to reach the top-right portal and you'll be at Stings. :)

Directions for Prison.

Go to the top-middle portal in Glast Heim. There are two but one requires you to turn your camera to see it.

On the map there will be two portals in the middle'ish area that are really close to each other like eyes.

Enter either one of those and you'll be at Prison 1.

Word of caution for Prison and Churchyard.

MOST prisoners (Skel and Zombie Prisoner) die to one VFW but sometimes Zombies will require two. Don't get too confident and give yourself enough room between yourself and the firewall but not so much you'll attract surrounding enemies.

Edited by MrPizza, 02 August 2012 - 01:40 PM.

#18 Reinhartd

Reinhartd

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:39 AM

I'm 43/32 right now, I just wanted to get your guys opinion on leveling up on Mi Gao. Right now, it seems a lot less stressful than clocks and nearly the same xp (though Mantis are annoying). Is this a solid spot for a few levels? Or would I be better off on Stings or Prisoners?

#19 MrPizza

MrPizza

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:31 PM

I'm 43/32 right now, I just wanted to get your guys opinion on leveling up on Mi Gao. Right now, it seems a lot less stressful than clocks and nearly the same xp (though Mantis are annoying). Is this a solid spot for a few levels? Or would I be better off on Stings or Prisoners?

Many players share your opinion and you'll have to compete with them there.

It's solid if you have a convenient warp or save there - definitely a much shorter distance compared to other level spots.

If you're low on zeny, stay there otherwise you'll spend more money on places with higher death risk. It will take longer to level because you have more people to share the map with but you won't die as much.

If you have money to throw around and teleport, might as well go for Stings and Prisoners.

Edited by MrPizza, 06 August 2012 - 04:32 PM.

#20 burucchi

burucchi

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:39 AM

Might as well use this topic. I'm leveling a Mage to get myself an Endow Slave, been doing Argiopes and got to Level 35, should I stick aroud here some more or could I attempt some more dangerous places like Stings? haha. Got to say I never tried VFW'ing before, but it's actually a ton of fun (except when I lag out and die). For reference, I've been investing all my stats points into INT, so it's at ~50 right now.

#21 MrPizza

MrPizza

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:38 AM

I'd stick around Argiope for a little bit longer.

Your HP/SP are limited around 35 and you don't want to be sitting around to regen in dangerous spots. You'd probably be taken out in 2-3 hits if you were surprised spawned on.

I like the loot at Argiope and there's a small chance for Boots [1]. I think I left around 40-45.

If you want the exp to step up with reasonable risk, you could try Mi Gaos.

Edited by MrPizza, 09 August 2012 - 11:40 AM.

#22 burucchi

burucchi

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:03 PM

Been doing Mi Gaos, I actually think it's easier to do than Argiope. I confess those weird trees and flowers everywhere make it sorta of a pain to navigate through the maps sometimes, haha. Thanks for the tip, though! With that said, at about what level should I consider moving to Stings?

#23 MrPizza

MrPizza

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:20 PM

Been doing Mi Gaos, I actually think it's easier to do than Argiope. I confess those weird trees and flowers everywhere make it sorta of a pain to navigate through the maps sometimes, haha. Thanks for the tip, though! With that said, at about what level should I consider moving to Stings?

Whenever you get comfortable with VFW and can afford a lot of flywings (or teleport).

Just realize you'll need two firewalls and bolts to finish off one Sting so have your reflexes ready in case something spawns on or near you.

#24 Reinhartd

Reinhartd

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:38 AM

Any advice where to level as a wiz? I just got jupitel 3 and SG 6 (leveling it to 10 atm). I know the ideal situation would be to get a beefy tank and mob HOs but sadly no bites atm. Anything I can do solo that'd be more xp than mi gaos? (honestly just considering going there and trying to mob them lol)

#25 MrPizza

MrPizza

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:11 PM

Stings, Alarms, Glast Heim Prison or Churchyard.

You could even do Raydrics if you wanted but it would take up a lot of SP.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users