• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 WorldBosh

WorldBosh

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:42 AM

Hey people. As you probably already read, I'm here to post a review about the Ranger's Assassin skill tree. Here goes, and people don't hesitate to leave any constructive criticism (only if you've actually played the class past 40).

Pros:

-Great burst damage.

^Yup, thats about it.

Cons:

-Squishy (obviously). I expected Assassins to be able to dodge more because of their main stat being agility, but the only times I actually dodge consistently is when I use Ardent Zeal.

-Lack of control skills. No stuns at all? Really? Basically, once you exit stealth, you eat a PERMA-sleep/stun/silence lock from a MAGE. How does a Mage have more control skills than an Assassin? So far, the only control skills Assassins have is Cobra Kick, which relies on you dodging which can only be done with the 10 second Ardent Zeal buff, the skill called "Stun" which is actually a sleep that can only be used when you're stealthed, so it has no practical uses in a 1v1 situation, where Assassins are SUPPOSED to shine.

-Lack of mobility buffs. Once you pop Swift Ambush, you get slowed and thats it for you. You're a sitting duck with absolutely nothing to protect you. The only people that aren't going to kite you are Warriors and its pretty obvious why they wouldn't kite.

My idea for balancing Assassins is to do one (or all) of the following:

-A 5-6 second stun that has a 10-13 second cool down and a 10 second silence. The "Stun" skill should be useable DURING a fight without having to stealth as the skill is only really a sleep.

-An Assassin specific skill that leaves the Assassin immune to all control skills for 10 seconds and increases dodge by 1000.

-A mobility buff that increases movement speed by 50% with a 10-15 second cool down, since Purity is nigh useless because of its horrible cool down.

Edited by WorldBosh, 23 July 2012 - 09:47 AM.

#2 SiSMeC

SiSMeC

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • LocationArgentina
  • Playing:Metal Assault
  • Server:Delphi

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:48 AM

From my noob point of view and considering i ll make a sin after i finish my cleric, i agree that melee classes are being too much expose to be kited by ranged classes,

About the skill u want for a sin,
* i think 5sec stun with 15 sec cd is way op, but something like 2.5sec stun with 20 sec cd is more balanced. (so far i played, i saw some maestones that stuns so it shoudnt allow sins to perma stun targets)
* instead of a 10 sec invincible button, i would say something like some skill that allows u to cancel a disable on u with a 60 secs cd.
* and the speed buff its ok, but u can add some movement penalty after the speed increase, to keep things balance.

GL

#3 WorldBosh

WorldBosh

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:58 AM

From my noob point of view and considering i ll make a sin after i finish my cleric, i agree that melee classes are being too much expose to be kited by ranged classes,

About the skill u want for a sin,
* i think 5sec stun with 15 sec cd is way op, but something like 2.5sec stun with 20 sec cd is more balanced. (so far i played, i saw some maestones that stuns so it shoudnt allow sins to perma stun targets)

Not really. Sins HAVE to be efficient in 1v1. A skilled Assassin has to be unstoppable in 1v1.

* instead of a 10 sec invincible button, i would say something like some skill that allows u to cancel a disable on u with a 60 secs cd.

The effect removal skill already exists, but its not an invincible button. It allows you to 1v1 properly and you're still vulnerable in Mass PvP.

* and the speed buff its ok, but u can add some movement penalty after the speed increase, to keep things balance.

Why on earth would you nerf their movement speed in the middle of a fight? If you can't kill a mage or archer after you've charged them and you're pretty much going to get blown up.

GL

Edited by WorldBosh, 23 July 2012 - 06:42 PM.

#4 rekindledflame

rekindledflame

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:02 PM

Agreed that 5 seconds is too long. I would start it at 1 second and have it increase 1 with each skill book(assuming lvl 4 skill book is last one). This seems fair as cobra kick is 4 sec's with a cooldown of 15 sec. Also, I think swift ambush should link with this skill. So when you hit stun after coming out of stealth you can still use swift ambush. I think that will add to the sin ability.

Not sure what I think about the other two options, but I do agree, it's a rather subpar class all in all.

Edited by rekindledflame, 24 July 2012 - 11:02 PM.

#5 WorldBosh

WorldBosh

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:56 AM

Agreed that 5 seconds is too long. I would start it at 1 second and have it increase 1 with each skill book(assuming lvl 4 skill book is last one). This seems fair as cobra kick is 4 sec's with a cooldown of 15 sec. Also, I think swift ambush should link with this skill. So when you hit stun after coming out of stealth you can still use swift ambush. I think that will add to the sin ability.

Not sure what I think about the other two options, but I do agree, it's a rather subpar class all in all.

Decent idea, but TBH sins need something more reliable than cobra kick.

Edited by WorldBosh, 25 July 2012 - 02:27 PM.

#6 g1347910674

g1347910674

I am New.

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:23 PM

Why on earth would you nerf their movement speed in the middle of a fight? If you can't kill a mage or archer after you've charged them and you're pretty much going to get blown up.

^stupid ass!^ he's talking about the caster, not the opponent, read u moron!

#7 HammerFist

HammerFist

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:19 AM

I have and archer class straight agi and he dodges all the time without the buff. So I get to use cobra kick at least once per fight.

I use the bow as a primary weapon but switch to daggers when an enemy closes in on me just for fun. If it is a warrior or something like that I tuck my tail and run away and low him/her with my bow.

I know this is a assassin thread I am just responding to the thing about not being able to dodge. I put some points in VIT but most of my points went into agi. Also on most of my gear I have P-Dodge and Crit dodge. So I am thinking dodge is a matter of gear and points.

YES I AM A NOOB. I know and I accept that. This is just my humble observation because I dodge at least once in very fight against mobs and players. BTW I am a lvl 47 ranger.

Cheers

#8 SleepyAssassin

SleepyAssassin

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 122 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:57 PM

If I can ever log into the game I will post some dps numbers showing why Sin currently is the weakest class in game for single target dps among the physical classes. A lot of it has to do with how the offhand dagger's p. attack is computed. But in terms of dodging, once per fight isn't anything unusual, and both sin/archer both can get a decent dodge rate to make up for little defense mitigation provided by armor (especially against warriors with lower hit ratings). It should be probably noted that dodge rate has never been the problem. At the time this post was made CC was the problem. Sin simply did not have viable options to take out a good opponent. The reason for this is pretty simple, they would be kited effectively from every class as they didn't have the damage to kill someone with their combo out of stealth in equal gear. In fact Sin at the time really was a support class, not a 1vs1 pvp option. It remains to be seen if the new skills will change this, but I am of the opinion with their mediocre burst damage, it will not have any effect and sin will remain a support class, one that is subpar in comparison to archer or a CC mage.

Edited by SleepyAssassin, 06 March 2013 - 06:05 PM.

#9 Smashey

Smashey

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:44 AM

My sin was #1 in DPS in every golem war. No one even came close to out DPS'ing me. Yes I have +10 dagz, but other classes with +10 weps still didnt out dps. Its the reason golem rvr lasted no more than 20 seconds.

Sin is a DPS monster. Auto attk is they key. The 3 skill combo with their animations take too long to execute.

Also Sin is the best merc ive ever had. DPS is insane with Smasheystabz as a merc. It was so good as a merc, i preferred it over my warriors. I even would tank all Palus boss with my Sin. Did not give mana potions to sin merc, so he would use auto attk rather than skills.

In champion arena rvr I wouldnt use him much, because the fight was always behind the sg's archers....... and of course a sin cant tank those archers. But the times the battles were in the middle, and I had my sin there. People would drop fast. Swift ambush, slow their run speed, and auto attk. While battles were going on, I would pop out of stealth, get a kill and be back in stealth before anyone even knew what happened.

Sin is a great class. (havnt played sin since the level cap raise). But at the 68 cap----beast

Sin is/was a great class that people dont know how to play because not many people play it.

You see my view on sins. Ask Xeg what he thinks about sins. Xeg is a sin as his main and a monster.

And just as a sidenote. ----- commenting that sin is a support class, not a 1vs1 class. Thats how its supposed to be.

Sins are meant to be dps, not tanks. Not every class needs to be a 1 vs 1 class. A sin isnt supposed to go toe to toe with a berserker. A sin is supposed to pop out of stealth, and attack the target that his factions tank is attacking, and add dps. Or, pop out of stealth, and stun the opposing factions cleric.

Back in the older games I used to play, assasins/rogues would get bonus for attacking the back of a target. Backstabbing etc. And thats how i still see assasins/rogues. As the class that lurks in the shadows, waiting to pounce on someone who is already focused somewhere else (like on the warrior thats tanking him). Sneaking behind him, and stabbing him in the back, then slipping back into the shadows.

They have stealth for a reason. To be sneaky.

If a sin is trying to tank other people, then that person is nullifying a sins purpose, and not playing the class correctly.

Look at the cut sinew skill for a sin. 60% run speed slow for 9 seconds. The description is "A cut on the ankle with the short sword reduces the enemy speed" That basically tells me that Im supposed to use that skill while standing BEHIND a target, to make sure they dont get away.

Edited by Smashey, 11 March 2013 - 09:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users