Classic Map update 4 Clock Tower, Sunken Ship - Page 7 - Loki Classic Patch Notes - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

Classic Map update 4 Clock Tower, Sunken Ship

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
153 replies to this topic

#151 Dragonhope

Dragonhope

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Classic

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:10 PM

I guess it depends how cynical a person is or not. I've met plenty of friends not only in this game, but other online games as well. If i wanted to play a single player game, i'd play a console RPG. I've made really good friends in online communities to the point that we share emails and even phone numbers. We talk on skype and we know what the other person looks like.

I'm not fond of people that play MMOs just to solo thier entire way through but I guess I have more faith in society than others. Yes i've met friends but you're find that anywhere.

It's a game just like any other. FFXI was more party play and a lot of people enjoyed that (like me). WoW was also a game that was more solo-friendly and a lot of people enjoyed that (some of my friends were obsessed with it). Does it make one any better or worse as a game in general? Not really, since they were both very successful. In that same sense, RO is also a game. It has several maps that are solo friendly and several where it was better to party in.

The GMs in charge of the classic server wants to make more of the high end maps to be more party friendly and I can understand why. This doesn't necessarily mean I haven't met my share of idiots. As such, with most of my characters, I actually prefer to solo when playing RO. Doesn't mean I can't understand where the GMs are coming from.

It's a shame that you (Onis), your BF and his friend quit FFXI but I'm sure you all had your reasons. Maybe because you guys already had people you knew in real life that you usually played with and preferred to keep it that way, FFXI wasn't your "cup of tea." That doesn't mean that there aren't a lot of people in the world that are usually too shy in person that wouldn't prefer to play together with others. Like Tetsamaru, I've made friends in various places around the world, and some even nearby that I had met online first but this doesn't make the friends I made by meeting in person have less of a value to me. But because of the people I've met online, I can go to places like the Netherlands, Sweden, Japan, or the Philippines (to name a few) and know that I have friends there who can help me if I were to get lost or something. The social aspect is the biggest appeal of an MMO game to me. But if you've noticed, this is my opinion and not really shared by everyone.

#152 Onis

Onis

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:23 PM

I guess it depends how cynical a person is or not. I've met plenty of friends not only in this game, but other online games as well. If i wanted to play a single player game, i'd play a console RPG. I've made really good friends in online communities to the point that we share emails and even phone numbers. We talk on skype and we know what the other person looks like.

I'm not fond of people that play MMOs just to solo thier entire way through but I guess I have more faith in society than others. Yes i've met friends but you're find that anywhere.

wat. I never said that you couldn't make friends online.
Pretty much everyone is on skype these days and trades their facebo-names. Of course it's a good place to make friendship, I'm just saying that there are other, easier, ways to make friendship too and a game is in it's core, a game. It's charm should come from the playing mechanics.

And just to clarify - I do party/help others when the chance arrives and I have made a lot of friends myself, that I like a lot. I'd just rather spend my time with the few good ones I have via guild chat/irc instead of being forced to stare at the random idiots I don't like. Sometimes I take chances with random people, if the cause is good enough. Like partying a thief at Lou with my mage even though I could just tank my mage.
What I don't enjoy is sitting at lou with my acolyte, not getting a party after 2 hours and having to read the drama and having to stare at archers that constantly asks for buffs/heals, but doesn't want to party.

I'm not really sure how having faith in society and hating soloists at the same time works. I would think that soloists /are/ part of the society. Maybe they don't help you specifically, but it doesn't mean that they don't contribute at all.

But if you've noticed, this is my opinion and not really shared by everyone.

Thank you.
And that's just fine. I do think that maps that require partying is all good and fun. Overall I wouldn't mind seeing more of those, but not with the cost of removing all of the good solo maps. Because, y'know, that's my way to play and my opinion of what's a good time. I'm sure we can all fit into the same game grounds.

Edit; Also, on topic!
I love Xellie's idea. :'D It's very wonderbaum.

Edited by Onis, 14 August 2012 - 10:55 PM.

#153 Dragonhope

Dragonhope

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • Server:Classic

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:27 PM

Yea..I'm actually more of a soloist...I'm still trying to find ways around having to go to Turtle Island with my Monk since I kind of need to party with a Priest to level there effectively.

#154 sco0t

sco0t

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:42 AM

c_tower3
- 1 Clock Tower manager (30 min) -> instant
- 50 Alarm -> 75
- 40 Archer Skeleton -> 15
- add 15 Ridewords
- add 2 Elder (5 min)

The xp there isn't even that great, I will take 40 archer skeletons over 15 ridewords any day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users