yggdrasil as a new premium server - Renewal Testing - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

yggdrasil as a new premium server

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Pewpew

Pewpew

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 07:57 PM

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but what differences will there be between ymir and yggdrasil, if any? feels like it'll be creating a new iris? And would transfers between ymir and yggdrasil/ valk to yggdrasil be possible? thanks.

#2 Hrothmund

Hrothmund

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2168 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 08:04 PM

Hopefully the target audience isnt Ymir/Valk players looking for a fresh start. I know some will, but it'd be less pop than the people who left Iris due to insufficient population. I also hope they make sensible choices around woe/god items and learn from what happened at the start of valk server.

On the other hand i've run out of char slots on both my accounts so I could make "fun" builds over there.

Edited by Hrothmund, 26 September 2010 - 08:05 PM.

#3 Talvis

Talvis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1985 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Midwest
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Renewal Chaos

Posted 26 September 2010 - 08:05 PM

they'll both be on the premium server set up with Ygg just being a "fresh start". There probably wont be any transfers for a year or so or it would defeat the purpose of making it a fresh start. Now, as far as I'm concerned, making a new premium server is a dumb idea since we're getting no new people. All it will do and decrease the population of Ymir and a little on Valk as there are probably people on there who want a fresh start. But, they could probably fix the problem of new players IF THEY ADVERTISED!

#4 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 26 September 2010 - 08:07 PM

My money is on it being a second iris that eventually closes and gets merged with ymir, after splitting population and losing players due to lower pop. And it will be dominated by a group of power-crazed players from main servers, just like valk.

#5 Hrothmund

Hrothmund

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2168 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 08:08 PM

Oh yeah the transfer thing. I'd imagine transfers from YGG -> Ymir will pop up after a few months in the same way as valk, with the same restrictions.

Theres no way they'll let the highly concentrated amount of god items on Ymir corrupt Ygg though. Although 2 years down the track they might be forced to merge Ygg into Ymir, which is why im concerned about god item farming.

I do hope the woe times are different to Ymir though, that could open up woe to people who can't currently due to the times its at.

Edited by Hrothmund, 26 September 2010 - 08:09 PM.

#6 Pewpew

Pewpew

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 08:16 PM

i'm just confused why there would be 2 identical premium servers after all that effort for the server merge.

#7 Hrothmund

Hrothmund

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2168 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 08:36 PM

I'm going to be optimistic (prolly playing devils advocate on this one) and say they are hoping to get a lot of new customers external to our current playerbase. Whether this is from other servers (isnt one in the process of shutting down?) or players completely new to RO but who are familiar with "current" MMO trends that for some reason dont like 3D/3rd person stuff.

Also I think they kinda HAVE to make the servers identical (cept for maybe woe times) otherwise they'd never hear the end of it, it terms of "that servers features are better than ours and WE pay the same amount" blah blah.

If i was a valk player looking at moving though i'd definitely go to ygg. But i dont think many actual players have transfered from ygg to ymir, mainly just bulk supplies.

Edited by Hrothmund, 26 September 2010 - 08:38 PM.

#8 Talvis

Talvis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1985 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 09:11 PM

euRO is shutting down, but from what I understand, a majority of their population is German speaking. Though, I do think we have gained some from them though.

#9 Sera

Sera

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4831 posts
  • Locationthis evil world
  • Server:iRO Chaos

Posted 26 September 2010 - 09:18 PM

A lot of euRO players went to fRO.

The Germans had no qualms about invading the French, but there may be some Roma players looking for a new server, so if anyone needs a WoE gypsy, you should try hitting up the old euRO forums.

Edited by Sera, 26 September 2010 - 09:19 PM.

#10 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 27 September 2010 - 02:30 PM

The only reason for a MMO to open up an entirely new server is due to overwhelming population that can't be supported by current servers. Last I checked, RO hasn't had that problem in YEARS.

It'd make sense if they were opening a different kind of server (i.e. PVP, PVM, RP), but Yggdrasil will essentially be the same as Ymir so I can't understand the logic of opening a new identical server for a dwindling population.

Edited by ZeroTigress, 27 September 2010 - 02:31 PM.

#11 Talvis

Talvis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1985 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 02:35 PM

The idea is that they'll bring old players back and hopefully make it easier for new players to get into RO. We'll probably bring back a few old players but we'll mainly kill off more of Ymir's population. We wont get any new players though, since Gravity refuses to advertise by logical means.

#12 espeon

espeon

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 636 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:52 PM

A lot of euRO players went to fRO.

The Germans had no qualms about invading the French, but there may be some Roma players looking for a new server, so if anyone needs a WoE gypsy, you should try hitting up the old euRO forums.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users