Box event idea and pros and cons - Loki Classic Patch Notes - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

Box event idea and pros and cons

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
85 replies to this topic

#1 Heimdallr

Heimdallr

Too Legit To Quit

• Community Managers
  • 3654 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:25 PM

Lucky boxes, the exciting random box that gives stuff from ok to awesome! Players have loved and hated the existance of these boxes for years, everyone likely has feelings one way or the other on them, so let's talk about a better way.

Current method : Buy a box, open it, you get a prize that ranges from the value you paid up to many times that value (paid in Kafra shop points)
Certainly this method is easy, and quick but it really is not adding to your play time and tends to benefit those that spend real money to support the game.

Alternate idea "Unopenable Box key event". This is an attempt to give a bit more game play, and fun for those that do and don't spend kafra shop points.

Basic Idea:

we give you a wearable "gear" that causes an ETC item Box to drop from monster kills.
  • Can take this box to NPC to "force it open" and high liklihood of nothing comes out. But a low chance of a "Silver Key being found"
  • Take box to NPC with a silver Key, high chance of getting a moderate item (if pricing out in Kafra points would be ~ 0 ~ 100pt) also chance a gold key is found.
  • Take Box to NPC with a GOLD key and 100% chance of getting a good thing. These good things would be 150~ 500pt value like it were a lucky box.
The Monster drop box would be completely tradable.
The Silver Keys would be sold in Kafra shop for 50pt in a tradable box (the one that comes as a free prize is not in a box and thus untradable)
Gold key sold in a box, box is tradable, raw key is not.

We would generate sales from key sales, players would generate personal sales via selling the keys and boxes and hopefully the hunting the boxes would be somewhat entertaining.

mega bot farming may be an issue, as could exploitive hunting.
May require the item that causes the drop to not work on certain maps, or possibly only given out to those that have done the magical stone thing already.

Please give feedback on what do you see as a concern or possibly a more fun way of doing it.

#2 jas8907

jas8907

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 85 posts
  • Server:Classic

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:34 PM

How about new headgear quests with the addition to being in the lucky boxes? It could add to end-game content and also help noobs make zeny by selling the etc items in vends

#3 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:42 PM

To me the biggest concern is what would be offered in these boxes?

#4 HikariYari

HikariYari

Awarded #1 Troll

• Banned
  • 789 posts
  • Server:Roundbeck

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:46 PM

Lucky boxes, the exciting random box that gives stuff from ok to awesome! Players have loved and hated the existance of these boxes for years, everyone likely has feelings one way or the other on them, so let's talk about a better way.

Current method : Buy a box, open it, you get a prize that ranges from the value you paid up to many times that value (paid in Kafra shop points)
Certainly this method is easy, and quick but it really is not adding to your play time and tends to benefit those that spend real money to support the game.

Alternate idea "Unopenable Box key event". This is an attempt to give a bit more game play, and fun for those that do and don't spend kafra shop points.

Basic Idea:

we give you a wearable "gear" that causes an ETC item Box to drop from monster kills.

• Can take this box to NPC to "force it open" and high liklihood of nothing comes out. But a low chance of a "Silver Key being found"
  • Take box to NPC with a silver Key, high chance of getting a moderate item (if pricing out in Kafra points would be ~ 0 ~ 100pt) also chance a gold key is found.
  • Take Box to NPC with a GOLD key and 100% chance of getting a good thing. These good things would be 150~ 500pt value like it were a lucky box.
The Monster drop box would be completely tradable.
The Silver Keys would be sold in Kafra shop for 50pt in a tradable box (the one that comes as a free prize is not in a box and thus untradable)
Gold key sold in a box, box is tradable, raw key is not.

We would generate sales from key sales, players would generate personal sales via selling the keys and boxes and hopefully the hunting the boxes would be somewhat entertaining.

mega bot farming may be an issue, as could exploitive hunting.
May require the item that causes the drop to not work on certain maps, or possibly only given out to those that have done the magical stone thing already.

Please give feedback on what do you see as a concern or possibly a more fun way of doing it.

It's a nice idea, but there are a few second job job bots and tons more than may have done a stone exchange.

Maybe for an event like this Make a special grinding map with a specific mob each time you want to launch a special Key event? Something like the Halloween Event map with the Halloween tokens for the Glowing pumpkin hat just with real monster mobs. You could set it up to have them kill a certain amount of the mobs for that event and when they get out after killing X number monsters they get a box or two. You would to try to choose challenging mobs that promote party play that don't exactly have the best drops that would break the market. " not like there is anything to break atm"
Or It could be set up as two maps Hard map 1% drop rate the Easy map 0.1% drop rate. All would require having turned in a stone to enter.

Edit, Also, add a level 90+ limit on blank card drops to Spare card. To curb botting of them if the headgear makes it to this server.

Edited by HikariYari, 16 August 2012 - 04:49 PM.

#5 MrTyranitar

MrTyranitar

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2298 posts
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:lol

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:57 PM

I can safely say any time I've ever seen the "unopenable box" scenario in a game, it's still a pay-to-participate event because the odds of getting something remotely desirable are too low to be worthwhile without paying. It's more or less like the refining events Renewal had every once in awhile, sure, you might be able to refine [x] hat to +8 to get the costume one and participate in the event (Valentine's Day one comes to mind) without Kafra Shop ores... but it'll be annoyingly hard. No one did it without Enriched/HDs.

#6 Nymmastal

Nymmastal

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:02 PM

Maybe give us a way to turn silver keys into 1 gold key. Without that, the "good item" is still unobtainable through game play.

In the past, the "chance to drop on monster kill" mechanic has always resulted in boring solo play because the best targets are monsters with low hp that often can't move or attack.

Hmm maybe we can try to think of some way to change the system so it promotes party play.

Edited by Nymmastal, 16 August 2012 - 05:14 PM.

#7 Dragonhope

Dragonhope

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:07 PM

Can you fix the Einbroch -> Einbroch field 4 portal first? Update says it was supposed to be fixed but there's nothing there still.

#8 Heimdallr

Heimdallr

Too Legit To Quit

• Community Managers
  • 3654 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:10 PM

To be honest, this would be the Classic server version of the Lucky Box, slightly cheaper, which means a bit more conservative on the items. But it is meant to be a burst sale event for us not so much a showering everyone in game with limited edition gear. With that said I want to find the middle ground that benefits the participants (those that buy or not) and is fun. You can get a gold key from the silver key opening, which is like opening a gift box to get an OPB to get a neato item. It can happen but is rare. The balance of item value will have to be very carefully done so that the gold is worth XXX points, the silver is worth yy points, and just cold ripping it open is like a restorative or something so doing it isn't a waste but it isn't going to change the way the world turns.

I want to try "something" like this to get some of those sale only kafra gears in-game. Once it has been offerred this way it is easier to justify then making it an event item.

#9 StyxNL

StyxNL

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:48 PM

A problem is that some chars are designed for mass killing and you are forcing the gameplay once more in that direction.

#10 Pres

Pres

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1427 posts
  • Server:Yggdrasil

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:52 PM

Maybe for an event like this Make a special grinding map with a specific mob each time you want to launch a special Key event? Something like the Halloween Event map with the Halloween tokens for the Glowing pumpkin hat just with real monster mobs. You could set it up to have them kill a certain amount of the mobs for that event and when they get out after killing X number monsters they get a box or two. You would to try to choose challenging mobs that promote party play that don't exactly have the best drops that would break the market. " not like there is anything to break atm"

I agree. Challenging monsters and a special map that makes it harder for bots to navigate into and bot - similar to those special TI maps in renewal.

#11 Tolrin

Tolrin

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:54 PM

I like the approach to the box generation requiring an in game component so that the event isn't entirely driven by throwing $3000 at the boxes to recieve a ghostring card. I think that you could probably limit the item which generates the boxes by level, say maybe 70~, as I believe the majority of bots are getting retired before making it to that level, which would likely minimize the impact of bots on the event more than magic stone requirement would.

That being said, I would hold my personal approval in reserve until there was a more detailed discussion of what kinds of items would be in the boxes. Would theoretical hats or other items from the gold tier be account bound? That would likely be irritating with the element of randomness. Would there be regularly available in game items coming out of the boxes? Would the permanent items be limited to event type hats as was often the case in older box events on Valk server? (I'd love a rideword hat for instance!) I'm sure theres more questions, but thats the kind of thing I am more concerned about.

#12 Heimdallr

Heimdallr

Too Legit To Quit

• Community Managers
  • 3654 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:22 PM

I like the approach to the box generation requiring an in game component so that the event isn't entirely driven by throwing $3000 at the boxes to recieve a ghostring card. I think that you could probably limit the item which generates the boxes by level, say maybe 70~, as I believe the majority of bots are getting retired before making it to that level, which would likely minimize the impact of bots on the event more than magic stone requirement would.

That being said, I would hold my personal approval in reserve until there was a more detailed discussion of what kinds of items would be in the boxes. Would theoretical hats or other items from the gold tier be account bound? That would likely be irritating with the element of randomness. Would there be regularly available in game items coming out of the boxes? Would the permanent items be limited to event type hats as was often the case in older box events on Valk server? (I'd love a rideword hat for instance!) I'm sure theres more questions, but thats the kind of thing I am more concerned about.

Initial discussion was that the hats would be "unboxed" therefore account bound. That isn't fixed in stone however.
The trading I was hoped would be done pre-opening.
Things like Rideword hat with a similar but potentially different % effect would be a part of the "gold key" type. Think of the Lucky boxes as "gold tier" and items from groove packs as the style for "silver".

#13 afterbreeze

afterbreeze

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:54 PM

How about fix the current issues on the server before trying to milk it, or is driving the ~1k remaining players quit is your goal?

#14 Tolrin

Tolrin

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:55 PM

I think if you were going to make the items from the gold tier account bound you should remove the random element from it. Maybe reward some kind of "hat token" (which would be bound) which would allow a player to select their choice of account bound hats? I think that it's really frustrating for players to try to get a specific item that they want when they are both account bound and random, making the prizes still random, but with an additional element of selection would make it more reasonable to work towards a specific goal, which would make the work/money a player spends on it more "fun" and less "work".

#15 heyxsean

heyxsean

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 715 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:57 PM

CONS: YOU GUYS MAKE THEM NPCABLE FOR 450k AGAIN AND -_- THE ECONOMY UP SOME MORE...
PROS: YOU GUYS MAKE MONEY.

#16 HikariYari

HikariYari

Awarded #1 Troll

• Banned
  • 789 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:04 PM

Heim if there are plans to add hugel medals you might want to do only like 10-100 rather than stacks of 1000.
Better to hand 3-6 levels rather than like 30-60 levels.

Edited by HikariYari, 16 August 2012 - 08:07 PM.

#17 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:11 PM

Killing monsters, I'd say no.

A repeatable quest would be much better, I'd say. Bots have a lot harder time doing quests, especially ones that require some effort, than just farming monsters.

#18 HikariYari

HikariYari

Awarded #1 Troll

• Banned
  • 789 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:21 PM

A repeatable quest would be much better, I'd say. Bots have a lot harder time doing quests, especially ones that require some effort, than just farming monsters.

Referring to kill X monsters talk to npc kill x more monsters gather items npc again kinda thing? Something like what I posted in my first post here. x;

#19 EnkiAO

EnkiAO

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:25 PM

No Lucky Boxes (not everyone buys/invests in WPe/KP), no killing monsters.

Mobbers and botters have a huge advantage with that. It might be a repeat of the whole Green Ales from St. Patties 2011 on Renewal, no? Pros get pro-er, noobs get... noobier. Lol

Buuuuuuuuut I do like the unopenable box idea. Perhaps a repeatble quest of some sort....

EDIT: Don't want to refer to Renewal, but... kind of like TIs...

Level 1-20: spores 21-30: wolves... something like that? Dunno, just throwing random ideas

Edited by EnkiAO, 16 August 2012 - 08:27 PM.

#20 Aaronnn

Aaronnn

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 752 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:26 PM

in b4 bot farms

#21 HikariYari

HikariYari

Awarded #1 Troll

• Banned
  • 789 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:13 PM

No Lucky Boxes (not everyone buys/invests in WPe/KP), no killing monsters.

Mobbers and botters have a huge advantage with that. It might be a repeat of the whole Green Ales from St. Patties 2011 on Renewal, no? Pros get pro-er, noobs get... noobier. Lol

Buuuuuuuuut I do like the unopenable box idea. Perhaps a repeatble quest of some sort....

EDIT: Don't want to refer to Renewal, but... kind of like TIs...

Level 1-20: spores 21-30: wolves... something like that? Dunno, just throwing random ideas

Sick of people referring to turn ins as renewal but, Something like this without the exp but hands out boxes right?
http://irowiki.org/c...able_EXP_Quests

Edited by HikariYari, 16 August 2012 - 09:13 PM.

#22 EnkiAO

EnkiAO

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:20 PM

Sick of people referring to turn ins as renewal but, Something like this without the exp but hands out boxes right?
http://irowiki.org/c...able_EXP_Quests

No. Lol, that would go back to whole "Botters win" point.

And get use to it, people reffering to TIs as renewal. ;)

And oh god i hope they don't put those repeatables back in... at least not till wayyyyy later.. way way...later :)

#23 HikariYari

HikariYari

Awarded #1 Troll

• Banned
  • 789 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:22 PM

No. Lol, that would go back to whole "Botters win" point.

And get use to it, people reffering to TIs as renewal. ;)

And oh god i hope they don't put those repeatables back in... at least not till wayyyyy later.. way way...later :)

I'm sure they will make it back in around trans update.

#24 Andini

Andini

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2738 posts
  • LocationNorcal

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:34 PM

early christmas for bots, i can hear the bottles of champagne popping

Edited by Andini, 16 August 2012 - 09:34 PM.

#25 Ciler

Ciler

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:40 PM

A problem is that some chars are designed for mass killing and you are forcing the gameplay once more in that direction.

As said by the above two posters, any box event that requires farming from a monster will favour classes that can mass kill, as well as botters. Support classes are currently struggling to emerge on the server.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users