• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Pourmunm

Pourmunm

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:14 AM

Are they even good? I've been hearing and reading things. And I'm not sure what to think. I've always wanted to make a sage cause they do seem fun and it doesn't look like there are meany of them at the moment.

#2 Tetsamaru

Tetsamaru

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1458 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:17 AM

Because Sages always took a backseat to Wizards. Even in the days of Hocus Pocus.

Sages are ment to be a Support role, not a front line role.

It isn't untill Scholar(with Double bolt) do Battle Sages actually get at least some respect. and even then, people treat you as an Endow slave or SP fountain. I main Sage/Sorc, so be prepared for people to automatically assume you're dead weight to the team.

Most sages you do see are for ME in WoE.

#3 Pourmunm

Pourmunm

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:35 AM

So there is no point in making a sage right now If I wanted to do more of dps role? :(

Edited by Pourmunm, 23 August 2012 - 10:35 AM.

#4 Tetsamaru

Tetsamaru

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1458 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:59 AM

(the following text will probably be 50% bias)

I completely disagree. Battle sages do great even without a soul linker.

Also notice I say "Battle" sage. I don't know who invented the "Fist sage" build, but i think that build is garbage. What I like about battle sages is the fact that I can combine magic attack and physical attacks at the same time.

I can't speak for other battle sages, but I like to even out my INT and STR with high agi. THen its up to you if you want to go Dagger or Book build.

If you go for Dagger of Counter, you can go for low dex as your crits will proc a crap ton. Also Hindsight activates even if you miss the physical attack.

For myself personally, I like to equip my sages with auto automatic skill equipment. Usually this means monster cards. You can activate all the auto spells practically all at once. Add in a heal clip, and you're golden.

When Scholars come in, then Heal clip + Indulge essentially equals Infinite SP. You don't even need a rideword hat. Dark Priest card on your weapon? Sp should never be a problem.

#5 Pourmunm

Pourmunm

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:02 PM

How would you even build a battle sage? I've personally never gave it a chance because it seems a little rough for leveling

#6 Tetsamaru

Tetsamaru

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1458 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:06 PM

Battle sages are actually made pretty similar(in stats) to Battle Priest. Ever seen Battle Arc Bishops? They are pretty fun to watch. Its kinda like seeing a Holy Element Hindsight sage.

#7 Pourmunm

Pourmunm

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:24 AM

Can not say I've seen a Battle Arc Bishop, Haven't played much lol. But I made a Aage on the VIP server, he's a Sage 64/20 right now. It seems like it takes a few for them to actually be good at fighting up close

Edited by Pourmunm, 24 August 2012 - 06:24 AM.

#8 Tetsamaru

Tetsamaru

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1458 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:30 AM

Battle sages has a very high learning curve, thats why you don't see most of them, its certainly not a cookie cutter build. But it feels so good to prove people wrong that we're competent in battle. People expected me to be a damn SP fountain in a turn in one time, I was KICKING ASS.

Party: O_o
Party Leader: Whose doing all that?
Me: That would be
Party Leader: dammmmmmn

There are actually a good number of Sage specific equipment/cards that people just never bothered to try out. Some of those somehow ended up also being used by battle Soul Linkers. Another WTF build.

Edited by Tetsamaru, 24 August 2012 - 11:39 AM.

#9 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:54 AM

I do not agree that a battle sage is effective without soullinker classes. It's cool, maybe fun to play, but not something that's truly effective or easy to level.

Soul link increases the DPS from their bolts by a factor of 5 - soullink'ed autocast sages are quite effective, particularly if you can find appropriate places to level them (Ice Dungeon, which isn't in classic yet, is the ideal map for them) - but unfortunately, neither soullinkers nor the map to level an autocast sage are in on classic yet. And Kahii completely eliminates their need to use potions.

The difference between link+kahii and not having those is huge (when I was leveling mine pre-renewal, if I didn't get back to re-link, I was in big trouble. Killing even a couple of monsters involved heavy potting, and was slow - whereas with linker buffs they died in 2-3 seconds without a scratch on me).

Losing the sage diary is another 10-15% of your DPS gone too (it's not out yet on classic).

At this point in the updates on classic, it just doesn't have what it takes. There's no sage diary, there's no soul link, there's no kahii, there's no ID3... I don't see it going well.

#10 Tetsamaru

Tetsamaru

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1458 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:02 PM

I see where your coming from Azzy, especially when it comes ot a "Battle Sage"

Every sage/scholar/Sorc wants to be married to a Soul Linker. But putting the Soul linker aside. The Scholar(not on classic yet but you get what i'm saying) improves the hindsight spells alone just with Double Bolt. And thats not including the other new spells Scholars get to help with not being "Tied to" a soul linker for.

In the end Battle sages aren't for the faint of heart. If you want to really have fun one with, make a Battle Sorc on renewal. You can easily rain down spells WITHOUT a Soul Link.

Both Battle Sages and Battle Priest have one thing in common. LEVELING SUCKS ASS for the beginning phase. Both of these builds don't start to get good till later on their life. Battle Priest have it a bit worst in Aco phase due to not having any offensive spell. Where the Battle Sage can at least level a mage like a regular INT built before they start to add points in other stats like STR and AGI.

Edited by Tetsamaru, 24 August 2012 - 12:09 PM.

#11 Bluesummers

Bluesummers

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:09 PM

Sage's Diary is out, as I've seen a few. Its just you'd only be able to get one from an OBB or the like, to the best of my knowledge. To be quite honest, I've never used it, either on Hindsight Sage, or Scholar, there were more interesting options available in my opinion. Although that may be down to my choice of not involving, a battle side(strength) to my builds. Hindsight is one of those things, Links and Linkers made semi-popular. However, I suspect that there is a much greater artistry to them, than just Link and Kahii.(be it battle or more hindsight based) Its whether one takes the time to learn it or not.(which is not to say it'd be easy necessarily)

Edited by Bluesummers, 24 August 2012 - 12:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users